Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
What would the jacket fruit awakening look like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Please don't mention the jacket fruit.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Jose posted:

Reversible jacket with pockets

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Gyges posted:

When Blackbeard laughs it's ZEE HAHAHA

When Teech laughs it's ZEA HAHAHA

Stupid auto correct

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Jose posted:

Turns other people into clothing.

Hey, wait a minute...

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Jose posted:

Turns everything around you into jackets. Duh

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Since when did Teach turn into Teech?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

skipmyseashells posted:

he’s smiling too, whatever’s going on with him is tied to Blackbeards whole no sleep schtick

That reminds me, I saw a theory on another site that Blackbeard is part of the same race as Kuma and that they have multiple personalities they switch between instead of sleeping. This would explain Kuma's seemingly contradictory reputation, why Blackbeard has two Devil Fruits, and how Vegapunk figured out how to split himself into multiple people. It also fits with what Luffy said about people from Winter Islands not sleeping.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Brandfarlig posted:

Since when did Teach turn into Teech?

Teech is just one of those weirdass official translations that we’re just stuck with, which tbh sucks way more than Zolo because Actual Blackbeard’s name is Edward Teach.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Silver2195 posted:

That reminds me, I saw a theory on another site that Blackbeard is part of the same race as Kuma and that they have multiple personalities they switch between instead of sleeping. This would explain Kuma's seemingly contradictory reputation, why Blackbeard has two Devil Fruits, and how Vegapunk figured out how to split himself into multiple people. It also fits with what Luffy said about people from Winter Islands not sleeping.
Black Bear D.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Silver2195 posted:

cavendish/hakuba lol

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

anime was right posted:

cavendish/hakuba lol

Cavendish doesn’t look very much like Blackbeard or Kuma, though.

Then again, Bonney doesn’t look much like Kuma either. Is she adopted?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Kuma was too attentive a father, so he was forcibly turned into an absent shonen dad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Silver2195 posted:

She takes after her mother

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
All girls look like Nami until they turn 60, Even Big Mom had a Nami stage, its a part of puberty

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
I'll believe that Advanced Race Theory if OG vegapunk is also barrel chested

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Silver2195 posted:

Maybe if Blackbeard lost some weight instead of chasing devilfruits he'd look more like Cavendish :rolleyes:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The peril of break weeks...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wait, it's a break week this week!?! No.... noooo :negative:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I got the day off, so I think I'm gonna try and eat the whole birdcage in one go and watch Film Gold before the onslaught of holiday game releases starts (for me it's Bayonetta 3, God of War 5 and Pokemon, plus Crisis Core Rebirth and Sonic Frontiers if I have time)
Insanely curious how, from what i remember, everyone doing a big climb, zoro beating pico, the other 3 officers being beat, the traffy/flamingo flashback, and the flamingo flashback, plus a big punch, can go on over 50 chapters.

e: it's good but it's really dense. There's a ton going on in the climb since it's also a showcase for a dozen new characters. Still getting the feeling of "i got HOW MUCH LEFT??" every other chapter.
It's also very clearly meant to be an Ennies Lobby moment, hell they even reference Ennies Lobby with Bartholomeo saying Ussop and Robin are the heroes of it, but the setup there is mystery and betrayal leading from a tense setup of whether they can trust Robin into a big heist in a new setting. Here it's more like the win scenario happened, but got a bit no-sold and a different scenario was dropped on top of the one we were in so all the officer fights could happen. It's not really bad by any means, it's still exciting and seeing Dressrosa's capital morphed like that with a handful of key places to strike is exciting, but it is not as good as Ennies Lobby and there's no moment to breathe like during the train ride to Ennies Lobby.

God. Just from the very first panel "right" handed. How the brush is set up, how he eats....
Oh wait he pretends to be left-handed, right

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 27, 2022

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

That aside, love the hunger line. Had that come up yet that true Samurai don't experience hunger? And that he immediately confirms Momo is alive and with him.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

The World Inferno posted:

That aside, love the hunger line. Had that come up yet that true Samurai don't experience hunger? And that he immediately confirms Momo is alive and with him.

Yeah, the first time we hear it is from Momo when Luffy meets him in the garbage put on Punk Hazard.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

:smith:

This flashback is excellent

Early on they describe white lead as looking like snow...

Man, a lot of the fights with the fleet folk are great, a ton of fun interactions, but they are pace murder. At 771 I really feel like I should be seeing the conclusion of Robin's fight at minimum, and Franky's and Zoro's, but we keep cutting between all the fleet stuff, those three fights, and Law and Luffy vs Doflamingo, so i borderline forget what's going on. Like right now i'm not sure if Bartolomeo is in fighting conditions or not.

Viz has some strange mistranslation issue on the page where Robin saves Rebecca, they don't mention the wu tang clan

Starting up Luffy v Doflamingo and it's so cool....

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 28, 2022

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I will always stand by Dressrosa being an amazing arc.

Just not all at once.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
bird cage ruins it

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

It really doesn't. And I say that as someone who really doesn't like Rebecca.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Birdcage loving sucked from week to week, so did the 10 minute recovery thing. Maybe it’s ok now but I haven’t reread it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I didn't find any problem with birdcage when I read through the series

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

The only dumb thing about recharging haki is the crowd counting down like it’s a loving WoW ability cooldown

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The birdcage itself is pretty important, and a ton of the arc revolves on metaphorical cages, like the cycle of hatred, law's fate, law's resolve for corazon, fujitora's gamble, that bit at the end where rebecca was setup to be princess but her dad wouldn't be around and then luffy ripped the window bars that looked like a birdcage so she could go be with her dad.

If we had to cut something out, it'd be teh cage closing in. The arc was already so intense for so long, I don't think it needed the entire country pushing away as we get reminded every sixteen pages that it's getting closer and closer. Just shaving like five chapters would've helped a lot. But outside of that, just about everything is gold. (well, Sabo's return to the story was some dumb poo poo, but eh it's good)

There's so much good stuff, Corazon is so tragic and pivotal to a wide part of the world. Doflamingo is such an interesting villain. All the fleet guys are fun. This royal family is interesting. I think this is when we first find out about awakening? Law's flashback is like top 3 flashbacks in OP. Zoro gets his brightest W. USSOP (also in an SBS during this arc, Oda says Ussop would be a graphics designer). It's just... a lot. Pacing is the only negative.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

DizzyBum posted:

Turns other people into clothing.

Hey, wait a minute...

Technically it's the Wash-wash fruit so they might be sheets or other linens.

The Jacket fruit stands alone.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Thinking about it Birdcage is pretty lame to me because it just means Doflamingo made a weapon significantly stronger than himself that even an Emperor would be hard pressed to deal with, when you could just come up with something like it rapidly repairing itself by turning the environment into string and cutting it making things worse so you have to push it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Birdcage was bad but I'll never be mad at an arc that had that initial Usopp face moment and then the call back to do it again even goofier and more complicated.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

And again when he thinks he's escaped attention then realises he's the most wanted person on Dressrosa.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Usopp making a super dumb cartoony face, then awakening his observation haki to traumatize the same girl again was pretty phenomenal, yeah.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This is a break week right?

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Larryb posted:

This is a break week right?

Sure sounds like it.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
The thread hasn't devolved into an unending Power Level argument so it's not that bad of one yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Dressrosa is weird to me, the individual components are all there, like bart doflamingo chinjao fujitora are all good characters, but it just doesn't all fit together. Nobody in the arc actually matters besides sugar and none of the events or characters in the arc connect to sugar's defeat. I'm not a big Wano fan but Tama didn't really have this issue, she has a BS op fruit that wins everything but she's related to everyone.