Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Recently we’ve been shopping more for what’s on a good sale and finding ways to cook with it in an effort to save grocery money. As a result I have six bags of lentils, and that’s after cooking lentil soup twice and two different lentil-and-rice dishes. So suggest me your favorite lentil recipes please.

E: hell of a snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Anno posted:

Recently we’ve been shopping more for what’s on a good sale and finding ways to cook with it in an effort to save grocery money. As a result I have six bags of lentils, and that’s after cooking lentil soup twice and two different lentil-and-rice dishes. So suggest me your favorite lentil recipes please.

E: hell of a snipe

What kind of lentil soup? We do a Turkish-inspired one with carrots and cumin, served with yoghurt. Lentils keep for ages so don’t feel you need to eat them all now.
Vegetarian shepherds pie with lentils.
What we call lentil muck: cook lentils with some bay leaf and a couple of cloves of garlic (remove when done). Drain, add lemon juice, OO and season. This can be a base for a few things, eg add beetroot and feta, roasted veg, etc. It’s good by itself though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Make lentil fudge, OP

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Discendo Vox posted:

Make lentil fudge, OP

:golfclap:

We’ve actually made an Indian sweet with gram flour, which isn’t that far off.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Red lentils, caramelized onions, balsamic vinegar. So simple, so good

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

therattle posted:

:golfclap:

We’ve actually made an Indian sweet with gram flour, which isn’t that far off.

Such a small amount of flour!

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

It’s fall where I am, so I submit to lentil OP a veggie chili. However you make chili, replacing the meat with 3 cans of (any) beans and 1 cup of lentils. Cook the lentils in VERY well seasoned water/stock/etc and fold them in when you put the beans in.

I also like dal, but I’m not very good at it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ThePopeOfFun posted:

It’s fall where I am, so I submit to lentil OP a veggie chili. However you make chili, replacing the meat with 3 cans of (any) beans and 1 cup of lentils. Cook the lentils in VERY well seasoned water/stock/etc and fold them in when you put the beans in.

I also like dal, but I’m not very good at it.

I think dal is better with red lentils but given that OP has made rice and beans I’m assuming they got brown/green lentils.

Brawnfire posted:

Such a small amount of flour!

:argh:

Anno
May 10, 2017

therattle posted:

I think dal is better with red lentils but given that OP has made rice and beans I’m assuming they got brown/green lentils.

We started with 4 bags red 4 bags brown. I’ll be honest I’m not great at telling the difference so I usually use what I think will look best in a dish.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I don’t know why I never thought of trying to make dal.

Anno fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 30, 2022

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Happiness Commando posted:

Red lentils, caramelized onions, balsamic vinegar. So simple, so good

Recipe please? I think i have that in my pantry

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

This is what I have written down. Haven't made it in a while. Cooking it with stock is an easy taste upgrade. 1 tsp of salt probably isnt enough

quote:

2 cups red lentils
4 cups water
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp salt
2-3 onions, carmelized.

Also take a look at any of the million variants of curry-coconut-carrot-ginger soups with red lentils

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 30, 2022

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

This is what I have written down. Haven't made it in a while. Cooking it with stock is an easy taste upgrade. 1 tsp of salt probably isnt enough

Also take a look at any of the million variants of curry-coconut-carrot-ginger soups with red lentils

Do i take a stick/blender to it?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Yes, those soups are great! Butternut squash works well too, as does peanut butter.

The biggest difference is that green lentils tend to hold their shape when cooked whereas red lentils kind of fall apart; so a conventional dal works well with red, a soup that you’re going to blend or want to be quite thick but without bits works with red; if you want them to stay relatively intact, like a shepherds pie, chilli, rice and lentils etc, use green.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
lentil tofu:
- cook any amount of red lentils all the way through
- drain water
- blend until smooth
- fry the blended lentils in a dry pan until they turn into a thick, sorta-mouldable paste
- press into a parchment-lined tupperware
- chill until cooled to at least just below room temp
- use as you would regular tofu

lentils are great for making falafel, and red lentils are wonderful for thickening up japanese curry sauces

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

w4ddl3d33 posted:

lentil tofu:
- cook any amount of red lentils all the way through
- drain water
- blend until smooth
- fry the blended lentils in a dry pan until they turn into a thick, sorta-mouldable paste
- press into a parchment-lined tupperware
- chill until cooled to at least just below room temp
- use as you would regular tofu

lentils are great for making falafel, and red lentils are wonderful for thickening up japanese curry sauces

Tell me more about lentil based falafel; i rarely buy chickpeas.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Wouldn't you just make them the exact same way (soak them but don't cook them, then use a food processor)?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Look man, I'm not a food scientist here, I need to be sure. :colbert:

Also I don't have a falafel recipe, I've only made them once and my results were sub-mediocre.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
This one's pretty good

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I made that from that recipe for the first time last week and it was great even with quite a few herb/seasoning substitutions so can confirm is good

He also has a POV video of him making it on his youtube channel

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
RE: lentils. We made this lentil and sunflower seed dip at the restaurant. Its like 2 cups of brown lentils cooked until done through (drain off the liquid), 4 - 6 medium (or 3 large) diced Spanish onions, cooked over low heat in just enough oil to cover them until they’re browned dark brown, like 2 cups of sunflower seeds, toasted until nutty, and a spot of dark brown sugar to bump up the caramelly taste of the onions. Season generously with salt and black pepper, and grind in the food processor until smooth-ish. It is really lovely. At home, I’ll make it with walnuts or pecans.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Mister Facetious posted:

this is the recipe i use, but i sub in vital wheat gluten instead of flour and i bake them: https://tastysimplyvegan.com/red-lentil-falafel/

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I feel like aside from putting it in some stews (maybe?) I've never cooked lentils. It's one of those things that just ends up in the back of my cupboards and I go through even barley faster.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

VelociBacon posted:

I feel like aside from putting it in some stews (maybe?) I've never cooked lentils. It's one of those things that just ends up in the back of my cupboards and I go through even barley faster.

I used more of them before I got a pressure cooker, because I could just toss them in with white rice and cook those together.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

aw frig aw dang it posted:

I used more of them before I got a pressure cooker, because I could just toss them in with white rice and cook those together.

Oh really? Would that work with a zoji or does it throw off the machine's ability to time the cook well? What kind of ratio of rice to lentils do you use?

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

VelociBacon posted:

Oh really? Would that work with a zoji or does it throw off the machine's ability to time the cook well? What kind of ratio of rice to lentils do you use?

It does, a zojirushi was what I was using most of the time. I think I was doing 1:1 rice:lentils back then, but nowadays I'd recommend more like 3:1 just because that ratio of starch to legumes feels like a more satisfying meal to me.

Honestly it's kinda hard to mess up, I've even made rice & lentils together by dumping them in a thermos with some boiling water and just throwing the lid on for an hour or two.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I just like cooking them together in a pot. One cup rice, one cup lentils, one chopped onion, can/can-sized amount of tomatoes, garlic and fresh ginger. Throw that together, add in your choice of spices (I do paprika, chili powder, thyme, cumin and nutmeg), pour over two cups of chicken broth or water and cook for 15 minutes. Makes a ton of food for maybe $2.00, takes 30 minutes max and pairs well with lots of other things or can just be eaten alone. Spritz over some lemon juice and a bit of parsley if you want to garnish it up a bit.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
There is a lentil salad a local Ethiopian restaurant makes that is just amazing. There is *Some* spice in there I can't otherwise identify. I feel like I know a lot of different spice tastes, but it's magical and different. Unfortunately googling it is worthless since there are about as many recipes as Ethiopian foodies. I don't feel comfortable trying to schmooze the recipe. They serve it as a starter with all their dishes. I may need to go get some doro wat this week, just to have it again.

Lentil talk too - I have enjoyed trying the many different types. Growing up we just had brown. Then I met red, and discovered dal. French green are plump and nutty, and black are even stronger tasting (mostly used in Indian foods? I think the green ones are my favorite as they hold up to cooking well without coming apart.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Arkhamina posted:

There is a lentil salad a local Ethiopian restaurant makes that is just amazing. There is *Some* spice in there I can't otherwise identify. I feel like I know a lot of different spice tastes, but it's magical and different. Unfortunately googling it is worthless since there are about as many recipes as Ethiopian foodies. I don't feel comfortable trying to schmooze the recipe. They serve it as a starter with all their dishes. I may need to go get some doro wat this week, just to have it again.

Might be fenugreek leaves.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Might be fenugreek leaves.

Oddly my first thought was fenugreek (seeds came to mind first) too.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Man now I want a big vegetarian combo platter from the local Ethiopian place. Stupid spouse doesn't like ethiopian food for some insane reason so I never get it anymore.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Man now I want a big vegetarian combo platter from the local Ethiopian place. Stupid spouse doesn't like ethiopian food for some insane reason so I never get it anymore.

You never eat without your spouse? Or is it like a dim sum situation where you kinda need x participants to get anything out of it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Arkhamina posted:

I love learning about spices that are outside of the anglophone canon. I made traditional Mexican tepache and added cubeb, long peppercorns and grains of paradise to my spice cabinet

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

VelociBacon posted:

You never eat without your spouse? Or is it like a dim sum situation where you kinda need x participants to get anything out of it?

We both work from home and, particularly with Covid, don’t go out for meals much, so eat almost all of our meals together. My wife isn’t such a fan of Ethiopian but she’s coming round. (I love it).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They just need a bit of teff love

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Brawnfire posted:

They just need a bit of teff love

Boo! She doesn’t like sour sourdough and injera sometimes has that same tang, but it’s growing on her, thank god. There are a couple of great Ethiopian places near us that do great (and fairly cheap) takeaways with a variety of delicious veg dishes. I love it. So much flavour. I make Ethiopian sometimes (red lentil wot and that delicious cabbage potato carrot dish i posted; we eat them with rice, which works well)

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Shiro wot best wot

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Steve Yun posted:

I love learning about spices that are outside of the anglophone canon. I made traditional Mexican tepache and added cubeb, long peppercorns and grains of paradise to my spice cabinet

my secret to perfect tepache is to use white sugarloaf pineapple. long peppercorns are a favourite in my household and are, imho, essential for a good pickled onion brine

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah actually can you all give some Ethiopian dish recommendations? Is it even a good food for takeout or is it an eat-in food? There's a place down the street from me.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah actually can you all give some Ethiopian dish recommendations? Is it even a good food for takeout or is it an eat-in food? There's a place down the street from me.
It all tastes good. I've never had it takeout but I assume it's fine. Two pretty good cookbooks are Teff Love (Berns) and The Lotus and the Artichoke: Ethiopia (Moore). There's also a classic cookbook, Exotic Ethiopian Cooking by Mesfin, which is rather old but it's not like the recipes have changed since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

VelociBacon posted:

Takeout is great. The only issue is that it’s often like 5 dishes in one container so they aren’t perfectly separated, but that’s no biggie. It works well as leftovers too.

I am now thinking of Ethiopian food and literally salivating.