Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

fast cars loose anus posted:

Kind of but the substack is called The Cut and it's run by New York Magazine

I assume she gets paid something for it

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

There should be some sort of guideline for movie studios. Perhaps some sort of general principles to keep a picture from lowering the moral standards of those who see it. Maybe with a list of things that can't be shown. A code, if you will.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

some libs lost their poo poo about the marilyn monroe biopic because it showed how badly men exploited her. very strange

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/twitersbadboy/status/1586033780154064896?s=20&t=yKvA4qqCXsWKGMeuVah0EQ
(anyway, go see TÁR, it's REALLY loving good)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Once again, the Times is on the bleeding edge of cultural change.
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1586221295657689089

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dude who scores a lot: yeah i guess im a sexual minority wheres my times article?
times: coming right up sir

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

BREAKING NEWS: this guy fucks

UPDATE: he's available

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The actual article is even funnier, the most romanticized possible account of the world's shittiest relationship collapsing

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/1585952769529315329

Oh, the guy who famously used his first NYT article to do climate denialism is changing his tune?

https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/1585956190474817536

Ah, well, nevertheless ...

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah it's just become too embarrassing to maintain climate denialism, its pretty much the equivalent of being a flat earther now. So the pivot is now solution denialism.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

i hope bret stephens drowns

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

PostNouveau posted:

https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/1585952769529315329

Oh, the guy who famously used his first NYT article to do climate denialism is changing his tune?

https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/1585956190474817536

Ah, well, nevertheless ...

"Buh buh how can we solve this existential threat to humanity's future if someone doesn't make a profit?"

Hopefully bed bugs don't swim.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
lol there will never be a "market solution" for preventing climate change, but mitigating the effects after it is already too late to stop the worse effects is gonna be a bonanza for the vultures.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Minecraft Holmes posted:

i hope bret stephens drowns

an article in the nyt like “beloved guy that writes things drowns in 1.5ft kiddie pool”

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

:suicide:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
jesus do these market guys ever get bored of hoarding yachts

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Can't be bored of boarding your hoard of moored ...boats

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lol the fuckin gall of this lady to write this

https://twitter.com/profemilyoster/status/1587032027307679744

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol at the vitriol to this, both from the people furious that the Biden admin have gleefully marched old and immunocompromised people to the grave and from reactionaries who I guess just search for the word Pandemic and post insane memes about being unmuzzled and having pure anti vaxx semen.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this is the dumb school lady. however, what's the alternative

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

quote:

The people who got it right, for whatever reason, may want to gloat. Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts. All of this gloating and defensiveness continues to gobble up a lot of social energy and to drive the culture wars, especially on the internet. These discussions are heated, unpleasant and, ultimately, unproductive. In the face of so much uncertainty, getting something right had a hefty element of luck. And, similarly, getting something wrong wasn’t a moral failing. Treating pandemic choices as a scorecard on which some people racked up more points than others is preventing us from moving forward.

sorry emily, you'll always be a villain to me

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

lol what the gently caress am i gonna gloat about a million unnecessary deaths?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

text editor posted:

sorry emily, you'll always be a villain to me

[the judith miller of covid]: whyyyy do so many people detest me? it's time for some forgiveness

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

the white hand posted:

this is the dumb school lady. however, what's the alternative

for one: don't give Oster any more space to lie

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*checks rich white people supply* sorry that's not gonna be an option

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rubellavator posted:

Gloating = reviewing how mistakes were made that contributed to the deathtoll and what flawed reasoning and/or morality led to those mistakes and how to avoid them in the future.

You know, gloating.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Wait is oster admitting fault?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shear Modulus posted:

The amnesty is for us, for doubting her when we shut down all the schools and made people wear masks

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shear Modulus posted:

lol you might think from the topic that she would acknowledge that she'd been leading people down the primrose path to multiple COVID infections a year

But no, this article is how she is going to magnanimously forgive all the people who said she was wrong about stuff (Background info: She was so, so very wrong about stuff)

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

JJE Goldman Sachs University Professor of Economics and International and Public Affairs at Brown University

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

“I will choose to unburden my heart by forgiving those people who called me teacher killer*.”

* following my killing of untold numbers of teachers

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just deranged poo poo in the comments on that one. I thought Oster was getting ratioed for this, but no all the replies are people calling for "accountability" for learning loss due to school closures.

And outright denialism.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oster has many passionate fans as the new york times will be happy to explain in glowing profiles

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

please forgive me for crafting a rationalization for social murder perfectly calibrated to resonate with affluent suburbanites who hate looking at their horrid goblin children and want to banish them from the house immediately no matter the consequences

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Rubellavator posted:

She thinks you trying to shame her into not being a dumbass causing untold unncessary suffering in the future is gloating, because she knows no shame.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
someone needs to brush up on their mandarin lessons

https://twitter.com/maxwelltani/status/1587167162845765632

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol

it must be hard to find anyone to interpret the language with the most first language speakers in the world

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Shear Modulus posted:

lol

it must be hard to find anyone to interpret the language with the most first language speakers in the world
The trouble is that you also need to understand English well enough to translate it into Journalist-American.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
somewhat crucially as well, one of the evolutionary biologists they quote in the article saying that it's "plausible" COVID has a natural origin got mad at propublica for mispresenting his research and says that the recent papers he's published state in clear terms that the only possible origin of COVID is the natural world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/ColeMooreOdell/status/1587198933226455042?s=20&t=BqLEGzs9amJ4kykz2VDdcg