Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thanks friends! Not getting cake explains why there’s no cake developing in there 😹 Had I known that meerschaum was lower maintenance I might have tried it out years ago. Super cool! I might pick up a big gay carved one to see what’s up.

I may try the meerschaum bowl without the dry ring—I think I find myself smoking extra hard to get some heat building. Maybe it’ll just take adjusting my pack job.

Turns out Smoking Pipes have some handsome Meerschaum Falcon bowls too, neat! I might grab a Shillelagh and bent dental to complete my collection. And a carton of dry rings…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

I honestly don't use the dry rings much. They work good for sure, but the Falcon itself does enough lifting that I'm usually good without. May just instead need a mid-smoke bowl twist off to dab out the reservoir. You can also make the rings out of normal pipe cleaners if you cut 'em with some snips and bend.

I love the shillelagh stems, happy with the two I picked up.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I HAVE DETERMINED WHY MY MEERSCHAUM BOWL SMOKES SO WEIRD:

It doesn’t seal fully against the stem. It’s pulling air past the bowl. I’m gonna print a polycarbonate gasket that hopefully does the trick. I really wish I had a laser because I have red silicone that would make for a great gasket.

E: the 3D printed polycarbonate gasket has MASSIVELY improved the situation and the eBay seller is sending me a replacement bowl.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 3, 2022

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

So the gasket has been working great — I’ve basically been able to chain smoke my pipe indiscriminately, big props to Meerschaum.

I’ve also been stocking up for a few weeks in Vegas where I’ll be competing on BattleBots again. I ordered a box of Avion Grand Perfectos today, but yesterday my Tatuaje Skinny Hydes and L’Atelier LAT54s showed up. This last one was a lucky box — the wrappers are dark as hell and one ROTT was divine.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

I’ve also been stocking up for a few weeks in Vegas where I’ll be competing on BattleBots again.
Wait what!? I love that show! If you don't mind saying which team / bot is yours?

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
Having gone through most of what I bought, I can solidly say I'm hooked. And also the Haunted Bookshop is kinda bad.

Just ordered some more of the 5 Brothers and Ten Russians (now to find a tobacco that starts with 15), a bigger bag of the Lane 1Q as it's grown on me, and:

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake
GL Pease JackKnife Ready Rubbed
Gawith Hoggarth Balkan Mixture
MATCH Elizabethan (apparently the new name for Match Victoria

I'm pretty excited to try these, it's nice going from "I know nothing" to actually having a vague idea of what I'm getting into! I also picked up a MM Ozark mini to try, trying very hard to resist ending up with a ton of pipes but it's very difficult.

Thanks again for the recommendations everyone, I really appreciate it!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Wait what!? I love that show! If you don't mind saying which team / bot is yours?

Seconded, show us your cool robot NewFatMike.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I DM’ed ya!

E: I forgot to hit “post” clearly short on coffee today

EE: Bummer on haunted bookshop, I’ve really wanted to try that one. There’s another Cornell and Diehl, autumn something that’s good, but it does have a cloying note that lets me only have one bowl at a time.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 7, 2022

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

ComradePyro posted:

Having gone through most of what I bought, I can solidly say I'm hooked. And also the Haunted Bookshop is kinda bad.

Just ordered some more of the 5 Brothers and Ten Russians (now to find a tobacco that starts with 15), a bigger bag of the Lane 1Q as it's grown on me, and:

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake
GL Pease JackKnife Ready Rubbed
Gawith Hoggarth Balkan Mixture
MATCH Elizabethan (apparently the new name for Match Victoria

I'm pretty excited to try these, it's nice going from "I know nothing" to actually having a vague idea of what I'm getting into! I also picked up a MM Ozark mini to try, trying very hard to resist ending up with a ton of pipes but it's very difficult.

Thanks again for the recommendations everyone, I really appreciate it!

Seconded, show us your cool robot NewFatMike.

Good choices. Jar all the blends as you open them and leave them be for a while if you don't enjoy any of them. You may find that you like them after all as you gain smoking experience and as your tastes change.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
That's a good point, I didn't much care for Lane 1Q at first but it quickly grew on me as I started to be able to grok the flavors a bit better. I need to pick up some more jars anyway.

I said the Haunted Bookshop was kinda bad but it's more that I just don't get much out of it, I seem to prefer strong flavors and I just don't taste much out of it.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Yeah, preferring strong flavors is common when you're first starting out. Not to say that you won't always like them, but as smoking technique improves people generally start to appreciate more subtle blends. OTOH Haunted Bookshop has a lot of haters, so the other VA-based stuff you got may be more of a test.

big boi fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 9, 2022

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Anyone happen to know how a Nording Keystone system pipe compares to a Falcon? It looks to be basically the exact same principle.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Drone posted:

Anyone happen to know how a Nording Keystone system pipe compares to a Falcon? It looks to be basically the exact same principle.

I haven't tried one of the Nordings, but there are other pipes like Falcons and the Nordings you found - the generic term for the under-bowl moisture-catcher is a "reservoir".

I have a Wiebe that I like, and they are funky looking even compared to the Falcons. Works a little bit better than a Falcon, and a little nicer quality, but I have the super tall one and it's hard to clench which makes it enter my rotation less.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!
I’m just back to say that I haven’t revisited Eileen’s Dream, Presbyterian is still THE poo poo (I love it), and it’s super fuckin cool to see pipes picking up in the thread.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013
More pipeism.

I'm loving gawiths black and brown at the moment. An aromatic that really let's the base shine through. The amount of topping/casing is just perfect. An ideal middle ground between trad and aro.

Cigars though. I've tried to avoid them as they're expensive, convenient and incredibly pleasurable.
Loving drew estates sweet Jane, larutan and another I forget the name of. Winters coming so that'll help me limit them as an outdoor only smoker. Trying to keep it to one a week but I did that with the pipe at first and now I'm on about 3 bowls a day. Who wants to live forever.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
Is the Match Elizabethan supposed to smell so... funky? It's got a real tang to it. I know that fermentation is a thing with tobacco, so I'm not totally mystified, just sort of surprised that this one in particular has a real zing to the smell. Smokes fine, I think, I've only had a couple bowls of it so far but I didn't notice anything that might correspond to the scent in the jar. It's got a real stank to it.

That aside, I'm loving this purchase, a little bit of understanding goes a long way apparently!

The G&H latakia is a little less pleasant than Ten Russians. It's very, very smoky. I can see how this would appeal but I can also see why big boi mentioned not enjoying latakia, admittedly it's been a bit since I smoked TR but I remember it being a lot more mellow this. That being said, I keep smoking it, so it's not bad exactly, just pretty heavy.

Lane 1Q continues being Lane 1Q, it's sweet and smells good.

The GL Pease Jack Knife is just a very solid smoke, I think I need to spend more time with it to appreciate it as I don't get a ton from it, but I have yet to be disappointed with having picked it. I expect it'll grow on me.

The Peter Stokkesby Luxury Navy Flake owns. I don't think I'm fully appreciating what it has to offer, but I love it anyway. It's a very tasty tobacco, smoking it was the first time I really enjoyed the taste left in my mouth after a bowl. I have an eating disorder and don't much enjoy food, part of why I enjoy cigars so much is how hungry I get and the flavor in my mouth after smoking, so this was a big deal for me. I also can't seem to gently caress up packing the bowl bad enough to matter too much, so that's nice.

I also managed to accidentally buy a MM Ozark mini instead of a normal-sized pipe. It's hilariously small, about as long as a driver's license (I checked lol), so it's a short smoke but honestly I don't hate it. There's a lot to be said for a pipe that's light enough that you forget it's there. It sadly does not fit the 6mm filters I bought with it, what with the filters being almost as long as the pipe and all. I've got a regular-sized MM Ozark coming in, pretty excited to try that after enjoying the comedy-sized pipe as much as I have :)

Howard The Dork posted:

I’m just back to say that I haven’t revisited Eileen’s Dream, Presbyterian is still THE poo poo (I love it), and it’s super fuckin cool to see pipes picking up in the thread.

I blamed NewFatMike for picking up the pipe but, in the course of getting sucked in, I read them say you're to blame for their getting sucked in, so I guess that makes you my grandpa? Or are we all grandpas? Still learning.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

ComradePyro posted:

Is the Match Elizabethan supposed to smell so... funky? It's got a real tang to it. I know that fermentation is a thing with tobacco, so I'm not totally mystified, just sort of surprised that this one in particular has a real zing to the smell. Smokes fine, I think, I've only had a couple bowls of it so far but I didn't notice anything that might correspond to the scent in the jar. It's got a real stank to it.

The Peter Stokkesby Luxury Navy Flake owns. I don't think I'm fully appreciating what it has to offer, but I love it anyway. It's a very tasty tobacco, smoking it was the first time I really enjoyed the taste left in my mouth after a bowl. I have an eating disorder and don't much enjoy food, part of why I enjoy cigars so much is how hungry I get and the flavor in my mouth after smoking, so this was a big deal for me. I also can't seem to gently caress up packing the bowl bad enough to matter too much, so that's nice.

I also managed to accidentally buy a MM Ozark mini instead of a normal-sized pipe. It's hilariously small, about as long as a driver's license (I checked lol), so it's a short smoke but honestly I don't hate it. There's a lot to be said for a pipe that's light enough that you forget it's there. It sadly does not fit the 6mm filters I bought with it, what with the filters being almost as long as the pipe and all. I've got a regular-sized MM Ozark coming in, pretty excited to try that after enjoying the comedy-sized pipe as much as I have :)

The funky smell you're describing might be the perique - a weird tobacco grown in one parish of Louisiana, it's a love it or hate it thing and commonly used as a "condiment" tobacco like latakia is. Perique is commonly blended with Virginia, and is described as peppery or spicey but can have some funk to it. Virginia tobacco can also have quite the tang to it, specifically red Virginia - kinda ketchup-y at times. In contrast, a lot of other Virginia would be more grassy or citrusy.

PS Flakes (twist, navy, bullseye) are some of the gold standards of good cheap bulk flakes to stock up on. They tend to be a bit raw, if you like it now put it in a jar for 6+ months and you'll love it.

MM hardwords are great starter pipes and worth the cost, but as always I'm gonna shout out the MM corn cobs instead as being fantastic pipes. Grab a Legend or Country Gentleman, they're incredibly forgiving and are easier for temperature control than a wooden pipe.

I'll also mention I've picked up a clay pipe recently and despite having some major drawbacks (brittle as hell, please don't clench them or you'll wear a hole in your teeth, bowl gets too hot to touch, etc) they smoke wonderfully and have a certain charm to them. Impossible to overheat, and suit certain basic tobaccos like a straight Virginia incredibly well.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
Wow, the Ozark is so nice!!! I have not been very good at smoking at a slow pace at all, but for whatever reason it's very easy with this pipe. I'm tasting things I hadn't tasted before and lamenting my foolish ways. It's light enough to clench comfortably even with my hosed up jaw. Totally blown away by the difference this has made, friendship ended with other pipes now Ozark is my bestfriend.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yes!!! YES!!!!

I’ve been working on bringing my tobacco budget down lately, and finding a pipe that works for you is so ace.

I’ve found that I mostly smoke my Meerschaum Falcon bowl, but I’ll pop over to my briar bowls and it’s very fun to experience the difference. I haven’t touched a full briar pipe in a bit, though, so maybe I’ll see what kind of credit I can get at Smoking Pipes by sending some used ones back…

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
Currently smoking a Padron, impulse bought it at a shop next to the liquor store and I don't remember what I bought.

It is hands down the best cigar I have ever had. I see why I got the forum equivalent of funny looks for smoking Arturo Fuente etc. This is insanely good. My partner even commented on how they love the smell of the smoke! It's so chocolatey and good, gently caress.

Thank NewFatMike, very glad you planted this seed in my brain.

Side note though: Is it common for cigars to be squared like this? It's like a rectangular prism of tobacco, I wonder if it's a bad or good or inconsequential thing.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
Box pressed cigars are a thing. I believe it was originally an unintended consequence of trying to stuff more cigars in a smaller package to save on shipping costs. They are way more common with Cuban cigars when purchased in a dress box versus an SLB (slide lid box) or cabinet.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’m so glad that Padron recommendation worked out!!

I’m a big fan of box pressed cigars, the CLE line has one of the most beautiful vitolas if that intrigues you!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
And no need to throw shade on Fuentes - the Hemingway line are some of my favorite sticks.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That’s true! There are a a lot of great Fuente smokes, I personally find the signal to noise ratio is kinda whack, especially considering that most shops aren’t likely to carry the real good stuff.

I’ve been doing some experiments lately and my house gets a lot dryer with our new heat pump, and I’ve learned that during the absolute gently caress out of pipe tobacco is a pro move. I used to give it 20-30 minutes after rubbing it out, but I’m leaving jars open overnight to test and it’s been a good move. My tongue bite issues are dramatically reduced.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

We’re doing a double feature this Sunday:

I’m running an A/B test because I’ve heard reports that the Herrera Esteli LE Habano lancero is very similar to the L’Atelier lancero. Since the L’Atelier option has been out of production for 8 years, I thought I’d compare.

I’m a few inches into the HE, and I’d say the comparison is super justified. It’s saltier than the L’Atelier, but so close. I’ll update with some thoughts when I crack into the L’Atelier, but I’d say this is a buy. VIP price on Atlantic is $125/15.

If you haven’t had L’Atelier smokes, do so. The main line is better than the Selección Especial. The LAT54 is probably my favorite production cigar on earth and other thread heads will vouch for yummy factor.

E: the LATcero is better, it has a balance of cream and spice with a slightly fuller body but I’ll be darned if they’re not real close! The Herrera Esteli is a good approximation and downright delicious in its own right. Since the L’Atelier lancero is out of production, I’d say the Herrera Esteli LE Habano lancero is a fantastic get.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 24, 2022

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Join the discord and join the Yerandy group buy train:

The maduro genio has to be one of my all time favorites and it’s $12.50.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I've reinstalled discord, you got a link?

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
Sent

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Big refill today on top of the Yerandy arrival yesterday:

This is a new Semois blend for me — I really love my Reserve du Patron, so I’m excited for La Brumeuse.

The Cornell & Diego Blue Ridge was a must-buy the instant I came across it. I loved going to school in the Blue Ridge mountains and driving along the parkway. Helps that the Virginia, Turkish, and Perique tobaccos are just like the cigarettes I smoked in college. It smells funky as all get out, but I can’t wait to try some!

And lastly on that run, the Stokkebye 4th Generation Morning Blend. It smells intoxicating, I’m drying some out to have in the morning.

I’ve been curious about the Serino Elenor Rose for some time. I’m having one now and the opening is great. I snagged some of the expat blend because it looks great and it’s about $4/stick and the only thing better than a good cigar is a good cheap cigar!

And I’m very very glad to have the My Father Cedros Deluxe Cervantes back in my humidor. They’re exquisite:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Everything has been pretty good ROTT, but what’s really blowing my hair back is that new Semois the La Brumeuse:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/Tabac-Manil/la-brumeuse-3.5oz/product_id/151938

I really like Reserve du Patron but this is in a whole league of its own. There’s really nothing else out there like it. It was creamy and at one point had a spot on fresh gingerbread flavor. I’m about to load another bowl holy smokes.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

Everything has been pretty good ROTT, but what’s really blowing my hair back is that new Semois the La Brumeuse:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/Tabac-Manil/la-brumeuse-3.5oz/product_id/151938

I really like Reserve du Patron but this is in a whole league of its own. There’s really nothing else out there like it. It was creamy and at one point had a spot on fresh gingerbread flavor. I’m about to load another bowl holy smokes.

I totally went ahead and ordered some of that. And while I was shopping around I noticed:

quote:

Offered here are the ever-unique Les Bouchons: Translating to "Cork" in French, the Les Bouchons are rolled like a cigar but are designed to be smoked in a pipe. After the flattened base of the Bouchon is lightly moistened on the tongue, it's seated snugly into a pipe chamber with a twist, and the top is cut with a shallow "X" before being lit. Light the Bouchon in the same manner as a full chamber of pipe tobacco, and enjoy the distinctive, one-of-a-kind smoking experience of aged Semois tobacco."

Anyone ever tried anything like these?

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/Tabac-Manil/les-bouchons-%28box-of-10%29/product_id/501649

Now you can combine the finickiness of cigar storage with the trickiness of pipe smoking. But seriously, I bet they are dope. Someone buy them and let us know.

Howard The Dork fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 30, 2022

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ooh baby I’d jump on that. We’ll see how funny money looks in a few months 👀

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
smoke the egg!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I'm going to start smoking pipes again for the cold weather months.

I hope it's as cool as when I bought all these Peterson pipes many years ago.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 31, 2022

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Howard The Dork posted:

Anyone ever tried anything like these?

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/Tabac-Manil/les-bouchons-%28box-of-10%29/product_id/501649

Now you can combine the finickiness of cigar storage with the trickiness of pipe smoking. But seriously, I bet they are dope. Someone buy them and let us know.

I thought this was offensive to my sensibilities…then I saw the price and knew it offended my sensibilities.

I’m not being snobbish, either. I have occasionally smoked a cigar so good that I didn’t want to end it…so I would whip out one of my king-size bowled briars to smoke it to ash (this was more common pre-Covid when I would spend 3-4 days a week at the Tinderbox smoking a wide selection of tobaccos). Something like a Don Pepin Blue, or an Anejo Shark around Christmas. I had a smoking buddy who smoked every single >$3 cigar butt in a corncob to wring out every penny. It is a widely and diversely enjoyed pastime, and my great grandpa (who died while I was in Kindergarten) smoked entire King Edwards through his (now my) pipes…never touching a cigar to lips. So I’m not being snobbish, gatekeeperish, or elitist. It just reeks of “gimmick” and “wasting would could be good tobacco for decent cigars” instead of “neat idea.” For $75 a pipe smoker could not only get a few tins of premium pipe tobacco and multiple ounces of premium bulk tobacco but still have enough for a really excellent basket briar (or a Missouri Meerschaum and a fuckton of tobacco!).

Stuff like an Egg or a 10x100 novelty cigar maybe under the thinking that went into this…the absolute only use case I could see for this is as a display piece like the Egg. Something to show off, especially at that price point. Something for the evidence pile when the workers rise up and prosecute the bourgeois during the Revolution.

Maybe I’m just in a bad mood from being an early riser with an older man’s arthritis and this pissed me off. Maybe I thought you could spend that money on a decent bottle of Scotch, or two decent bottles of bourbon to go with an ounce of Lane 1Q. It just offends me, I think, because all the cigar and pipe (and cigar + pipe!) people I’ve ever known would rather spend that money buying a friend a good cigar. Maybe gifting a new smoker his first Churchwarden & Vir/Per. At least more FunkoPops won’t (possibly!) contaminate your opulent office with tobacco beetles when the AC dies on a weekend away. At least your gold toilet bowl can be melted down after your death and put to use in electronics or even jewelry on your third wife’s neck. I gotta go take some ibuprofen for my back and head now. :oldmanyellingatclouds.gif:

Ninja edit: This post was (not quite) tongue-in-cheek, but was definitely not aimed at OP or anyone else here…just know that if I saw this in your study I would form mainly spurious judgements silently in your direction 🤨

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

that’s my secret I’m a huge idiot and I love nicotine

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
same tbh

I think there's something legit wrong with the Match Elizabethan. It's very strange, around the same time that I switched to smoking it for a few days, my pipe turned sour. I gather from googling around that that isn't supposed to mean sour as in like lemons, but it made my pipe sour as in like lemons. I cleaned it a few separate times with alcohol, then acetone, over a few days and today is the first day my mouth isn't gross and sour for hours after smoking a bowl. I hadn't made the connection between the tobacco and the issue until I just now sniffed the jar and it smelled like acidity and a mild stinging pain.

So, I asked this before but I kinda downplayed the issue, is this tobacco supposed to have such a strong acidic tang to it that it literally hurts to smell? I'm not 100% convinced that it's the reason my pipe went all lemony on me, but it's hard to think of what else it could be.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
if anyone in the :911: wants to smoke cigars in their pipes, PM me. Oh, I guess the Gloria may not have cigars in it but whatever.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh man. I want it, but mostly to have it. I’m sure a more advanced pipe smoker would love that.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

Yo Mike, how well packed are these La Brumeuse bricks? Having opened one your self (I'm assuming), would you reccomend that I jar this up soon? Or do you think it can sit around as-packaged for awhile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I think it can sit around pretty securely, especially if you’re in a dry climate. If your ambient humidity is 60% or higher I would jar it.