Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
lmao good god those superman movies do suck too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Xaris posted:

but yes the dumb tumblr lib tut-tutting over some imaginary audience 'that doesn't get it' is easily one of the worst things about american media

all of the poo poo about people 'misunderstanding the point of Fight Club' is based on like a handful of articles about dumb middle school kids starting their own 'Fight Clubs' in the early 2000s and no one can convince me otherwise because I was THERE man, I was in the poo poo and I saw it as it happened!

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

all of the poo poo about people 'misunderstanding the point of Fight Club' is based on like a handful of articles about dumb middle school kids starting their own 'Fight Clubs' in the early 2000s and no one can convince me otherwise because I was THERE man, I was in the poo poo and I saw it as it happened!

I was at Rutgers in '99 and they already had a fight club they called The Octagon, a couple kids in my kung fu class had been to it, it was more wrestling-oriented than bare-knuckle brawling however

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i started a fight club in grade school in a corner of the big field with some of my fellow toughs. this was way before the movie, mind you. and it was a lot of fun

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Fight Club is a movie about how being Mentally Ill can be a lot of fun and productive as long as you aren't aware of being mentally ill. Then as soon as you are you lose all steam wrt your projects and start "working on yourself."

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
tbf that's what like a quarter of movies is about

anyone ever seen Love Liza

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

it's also generally about authenticity even at the expense of self-interest or well-being of others, which is also pretty universal in boomer/gen-x fiction

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
is it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hot take: Tyler Durden blew up a bunch of financial companies after making sure the buildings were completely evacuated first, as the culmination of a series of harmless pranks escalated from an underground boxing ring. This is your incel bogeyman? What else did he do that was so bad? Squat in an abandoned building? Steal hospital trash?

He scared Edward Norton by almost getting his balls cut off I guess

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The only person that died in that movie IIRC was shot in the back by cops while fleeing. Chuck Palahniuk says abolish the police

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

Hot take: Tyler Durden blew up a bunch of financial companies after making sure the buildings were completely evacuated first, as the culmination of a series of harmless pranks escalated from an underground boxing ring. This is your incel bogeyman? What else did he do that was so bad? Squat in an abandoned building? Steal hospital trash?

he blew up corporate art and used it to destroy a coffee shop. and made a big flaming smiley face in an office building!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Edward Norton's character killed way, way more people in the course of doing his day job than Tyler Durden ever did

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

He left key clues that allowed the police to stop his plan and apprehend him, which led to him being treated in a mental facility and released in 2012.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Tyler's a pretty direct allegory for repression, and denying him is what allows him complete control
it's only when the Narrator accepts Tyler as part of himself that he becomes his complete self

for some reason my brain is pulling High Fidelity as a comparable tale of accepting yourself as a piece of poo poo that provides catharsis/the girlfriend as a reward

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
it's the same guy

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

loquacius posted:

he may be indirectly promoting fascism and as such must stopped at all costs including censorship

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

loquacius posted:

he caused an epidemic of restaurant health code violations

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The actual worst thing Fight Club inspired was that Ctrl-Alt-Del comic about Jack Thompson, the attorney who wanted to censor Grand Theft Auto

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

He left key clues that allowed the police to stop his plan and apprehend him, which led to him being treated in a mental facility and released in 2012.

his greatest crime: being a loving rat

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

for some reason my brain is pulling High Fidelity as a comparable tale of accepting yourself as a piece of poo poo that provides catharsis/the girlfriend as a reward

lol I like it but you're absolutely right
In my viewing, High Fidelity puts you in Rob's seat in the beginning of the movie, so all the characters are presented as Rob sees them. Then by the third act, once he has accepted that the people around him are PEOPLE and not just collections of liked and disliked media, they start coming through as actual human beings - which is especially why like Barry and Dick start the movie as guys who seem to orbit entirely around Rob and his record store and by the end they're both people who have their own things going out outside of him.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

my high school 100% had something like this going on and it was all the kids you thought would be into fighting as a hobby.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Watched The Nightingale, Jennifer Kent's follow up to The Babadook. The plot's about an Irish convict woman who teams up with an Aboriginal tracker to kill a bunch of white British colonials. Brutal loving film, doesn't hold back when depicting the horrors of the time (or the main character's racism) but doesn't get into sexploitation territory either despite the subject matter. Figured maybe some of youse might be interested, though it's very loving miserable.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

lmao good god those superman movies do suck too

all movies suck if you think about it.
As an aside, I watched Heat of the Night. Really fun romper.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

were he and the horse just no longer on speaking terms or something

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Buck Wildman posted:

probably wants more time to game

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The show finally disagreed too much with his canon playthrough, irreconcilable differences

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

White Lotus s2 premiere was p good, lots of potential i think

good to see michael imperioli again

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

White Lotus s2 premiere was p good, lots of potential i think

good to see michael imperioli again
It's good. It's also funny seeing Aubrey Plaza play a similar character to her Little Demon character right after that ended.

Jennifer Coolidge's Tanya continues to be an archetype that's extremely familiar to me. Sort of pitiable, but also a massive amount of "What the gently caress is wrong with you?" Her husband is terrible.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/Pontevedrian/status/1586764928727351296?cxt=HHwWgIC87fWSqYUsAAAA

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Nichael posted:

It's good. It's also funny seeing Aubrey Plaza play a similar character to her Little Demon character right after that ended.

plaza as "miserable news-addicted lib" could hit a little close to home for a lot of viewers lol

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

This is a good complement to the Chapo dude tweet about film criticism deteriorating into "why isn't the movie nice?"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

The show finally disagreed too much with his canon playthrough, irreconcilable differences

oh god they're going to write him ending up with Triss

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

RIP listen to LAVENDER COUNTRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc39xv1XvFc

https://twitter.com/forked_queer/status/1587153191203905541

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

drat rip, it is really quite a raw and incredible album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrU7dCKehVA

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Buck Wildman posted:

Roach got killed in the most recent season :(

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Roach got killed in the most recent season :(

As I understand it, the writers wanted Geralt to make a quip at the death scene, but Henry rightly pointed out that it should be a somber and serious affair on account of him not actually being a sociopath

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

McCloud posted:

As I understand it, the writers wanted Geralt to make a quip at the death scene, but Henry rightly pointed out that it should be a somber and serious affair on account of him not actually being a sociopath

I’ve seen people on Twitter theorize it was things like this that led him to quit, but the dump truck full of money he’s gonna get from WB probably played more of a role.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what's a big payout for an A-lister nowadays? i remember arnold made headlines for getting $30m + profits for his two-second cameo in Terminator 3

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

McCloud posted:

well THAT just happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

McCloud posted: