Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh they'll absolutely be assholes to us if they get the opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Justin_Brett posted:

They're always friendly to humans in literally every interaction that isn't SeaWorld

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Justin_Brett posted:

Watching Golden Kamuy now and can confirm.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah I was reading about how orcas are for some unexplainable reason friendly to humans, the sole exception being when they mistaken humans for prey.

Like other aquatic animals will also ignore humans when they realize they're not seals, but orcas go a step ahead and actually seem to like humans.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

looking at mangadex, it seems that INKR comics have come in for a lot of sports comics

Are they reliable/good at translating those? I don't mind paying for comics, but if the translations are garbo, then whats the point

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah I was reading about how orcas are for some unexplainable reason friendly to humans, the sole exception being when they mistaken humans for prey.

Like other aquatic animals will also ignore humans when they realize they're not seals, but orcas go a step ahead and actually seem to like humans.

They probably admire our ability to be jerks.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/wsj_manga/status/1587696159975424001?s=46&t=Z1qpp7TtUzUiFp-3BjZreg

https://twitter.com/shonenleaks/status/1587688342610550784?t=3TH-_5-sKSRyxDkdyxUt-A&s=19

Better point of reference is probably Medaka Box since that's a manga that nisio isin previously wrote for in WSJ.

Looks like an interesting batch of new works coming out in wsj.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Julias posted:

Better point of reference is probably Medaka Box since that's a manga that nisio isin previously wrote for in WSJ.

Every time I think about Medaka Box I remember a) it was never officially translated and b) there's a good reason for it. I can't imagine how to kludge some of the translations you'd need to do.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Julias posted:

https://twitter.com/wsj_manga/status/1587696159975424001?s=46&t=Z1qpp7TtUzUiFp-3BjZreg

https://twitter.com/shonenleaks/status/1587688342610550784?t=3TH-_5-sKSRyxDkdyxUt-A&s=19

Four new series? Does that mean even more cancellations?

Though while I don’t read Mashle, my impression from this thread is that it’s reaching a natural end, plus the end of the Golden Future Cup should free up a slot.

Edit: PPPPPP and Mission: Yozakura Family could also end soon, but not literally next chapter.

Edit 2: High School Family is the only thing I can see getting outright canceled.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 2, 2022

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Julias posted:

The first new series is by the Takopii's Original Sin mangaka, so that'll likely be interesting if nothing else.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Iirc Mashle is supposedly nearing the end.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Yeah the final arc was confirmed six months ago now.

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1520790380102496259?t=6NaLl_gIHlzRHkAIz7_NPg&s=19

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Silver2195 posted:

Edit 2: High School Family is the only thing I can see getting outright canceled.

No, its too good to be cancelled

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There aren't any apps like the Viz one with a selection of stuff you can just read for a subscription, are there?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

ImpAtom posted:

There aren't any apps like the Viz one with a selection of stuff you can just read for a subscription, are there?

Azuki manga is an app and a sub which I use to read Drifting Dragons, they have a bunch of seinen/shoujo manga

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Azuki manga is an app and a sub which I use to read Drifting Dragons, they have a bunch of seinen/shoujo manga

Oh neat. Thanks!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

I think Square Enix had one, but it was incredibly bad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

I think Square Enix had one, but it was incredibly bad.

Yeah it was full of nonsense like charging you by "chapter" but they didn't mean the actual released chapters as they broke them into smaller chunks. Also IIRC you couldn't just outright buy access to something it was always a rental.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Cool to hear the Takopi person is doing something else. I wasn’t as hot on it as some were, but it was still pretty interesting. Like a slightly less grimdark Bokurano.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah it was full of nonsense like charging you by "chapter" but they didn't mean the actual released chapters as they broke them into smaller chunks. Also IIRC you couldn't just outright buy access to something it was always a rental.

It also had insanely overzealous censor bars created by an algorithm, so you'd get giant black boxes covering half a panel because someone had a bit of cleavage on display. The app didn't stumble out the gate so much as it got dismembered in the paddock.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I remember when somebody told me about the Viz subscription I thought they were joking because it genuinely sounded unreal. It's introduced me to a bunch of new series I liked, like the sadly cancelled dumb but fun Hunter's Guild and Kaiju No. 8 which I am into mostly for Mina and her support tiger.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

We're probably pretty far along now, since we're on the last of the siblings and Mash is almost not dead anymore.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Getting caught up on Delicious in Dungeon and hoo boy, that last chapter is a real doozy. Cannot wait to see where it's going.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Can we appreciate the irony in Mashle that the Eldest Brother is Younger Toguro

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

I remember when somebody told me about the Viz subscription I thought they were joking because it genuinely sounded unreal. It's introduced me to a bunch of new series I liked, like the sadly cancelled dumb but fun Hunter's Guild and Kaiju No. 8 which I am into mostly for Mina and her support tiger.

The SJ app is probably my biggest value subscription for media period, it’s honestly almost too good of a price for what it offers. I wish the app let you read M rated stuff like Fire Punch and Dandadan since the mobile Viz website kinda sucks but it’s still like $2!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Show Ha Shoten was weird for me this month. Like, oddly uneven. They treat meeting the mom as if he's bringing home a boy/girlfriend.
Backgrounds were occasionally not drawn in.
Some of the panels didn't quite seem to flow like the usually did. The whole sequence with Taiyo getting a bucket on his head and the other dude there as well as mom, I needed to read it a few time and still don't quite grasp it.
We get fastfoward of a shocking revelation and we hear most of what was said 1 page later as we segue into a flashback to show us at the end.
I mean I'm there for it, because I was really curious about Taiyo's background, but the chapter felt a bit rushed.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Last Celebration posted:

The SJ app is probably my biggest value subscription for media period, it’s honestly almost too good of a price for what it offers. I wish the app let you read M rated stuff like Fire Punch and Dandadan since the mobile Viz website kinda sucks but it’s still like $2!

I read their M stuff on the Manga Plus app. Its mildly grating to use two apps bit the option is there. I think it is limited to one read per chapter since it is free.

Besides Dandadan theres some good newer stuff like Skeleton Double and Ghostbuster Osamu.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: Karashi's been a super enjoyable character ever since he joined, he's like a rival but also a tsundere at the same time. Also Akane's expressions are hella cute and it's so funny whenever everyone can tell what she's thinking because she's super predictable. I do like that the manga constantly emphasizes her tendency to just get sidetracked and focused on a single goal that she loses sight of the actual objective, which is probably why Shiguma had to train her the way he did. Normally you'd be like, "Wait, why didn't the mentor figure teach the MC this in the first place????" but with Akane we know why, it's because she'll focus on the wrong thing if he did.

Anyways I never realized rakugoka learned from different masters, I guess this is going to be how we meet a bunch of new or prominent rakugoka. It's basically an extended training arc, which is actually neat because you get to learn more about rakugo and because it sorta prevents the manga from being a tournament arc of rakugo powercreep (how do you even powercreep rakugo????). So I'm lookin' forward to watchin' Akane learn more!

Elusive Samurai: Ooh, more about Fubuki! God Fubuki must've felt cringe when he had to make that bandit's face. Pretty interesting that the one-time villain mook would be plot relevant in such a manner.

G&G: I really enjoy how magic is depicted in this manga, it's a lot more, uh, cosmic and otherworldly than standard magic. Anyways we now finally get a glimpse of the high end magic in the series, though we couldn't really see how Gluna measures up against them. Neat.

Mashle: Eh.

Me and Roboco: I'll be honest I am a sucker for whenever manga does school plays that twist the original story. I think it started with, uh, Furuba? Where the high school play (a weird rendition of Cinderlla) was actually a way for Tohru's delinquent friend to express her love for a 27-year old man, which Tohru filmed and gave to him so they could be together. Wow, looking at it like that, Furuba was super problematic, huh. Anyways I dug this chapter.

Sakamoto Days: Every chapter I live in fear of the old man dying. I can't take it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

rakugo powercreep (how do you even powercreep rakugo????)

Food Wars/PPPPPP-style nonsense where the performances basically make the audience hallucinate, I guess. I appreciate that Akane-banashi does a good job of avoiding that sort of thing; it's pretty restrained even compared to something like Act-Age.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 7, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

chefscientist posted:

I read their M stuff on the Manga Plus app. Its mildly grating to use two apps bit the option is there. I think it is limited to one read per chapter since it is free.

Besides Dandadan theres some good newer stuff like Skeleton Double and Ghostbuster Osamu.

Yeah, I keep up with the new chapters of Dandadan on there but I’d still like a subscriber option to reread SJ stuff, probably should have specified.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Roboco: The stew got a good hearty laugh out of me and the chapter itself was a fine chapter.

Mashle: I mean, it is kinda awesome....but it drags. At best they'll beat him and get stomped by the chief. But most likely he'll go to 90%, win and just get stomped by Mash without ever hitting 100%.
Still, I do like these dumb form changes.

Elusive: Cool

Sakamoto:

Sakamoto Days: Every chapter I live in fear of the old man dying. I can't take it.

Same. I love Sakamoto.

Undead Unluck: I love this manga so much when Andy isn't around.

Witch Watch: An ogre warlock? Who was the other warlock then? I'm very happy with plot actually happening.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Darth TNT posted:

Witch Watch: An ogre warlock? Who was the other warlock then? I'm very happy with plot actually happening.

:same:

Blue Box: I really liked this chapter. I appreciate Taiki just going ahead and telling Hina that he's not interested in dating her, even after she dropped that she was in love with her. I feel like that moment would have been dragged out in other series, and while Hina's crush on Taiki has been an ongoing subplot since nearly the beginning, it still feels like we have a while to go before BB ends. So because of that, I want to see how Hina deals with the rejection and hope that she's not just pushed off to the side; she's known for a while that Taiki didn't feel the same as she did, and I think her dealing with that and moving on is just as important as her finally telling Taiki was.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
That last page in Marriagetoxin. :allears:

She's going to drive him off since h won't hurt animals and she's covered in them.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Marriagetoxin deserves more love.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Marriagetoxin is great.

Go for the eyes, Boo!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This has been the first chapter in a good couple months that I've really enjoyed wile reading Kaiju No. 8.
After two really forced and honestly unsatisfying powerups for two of the side characters it's good to see the Vice Captain just more naturally and legitimately take a level up. The rapport between him and #10 reminded me that the problem this story at large has is it's characters because they have too few good ones that interact well with each other. Biggest issue is Kafka and his wooden plank of a childhood friend. Because the contrast between the methodical and pragmatic, but still passionate VC, and the battle drunk monster who are now in a sense fused to each other is just so :discourse: I also like how the technician doesn't understand how shonen rival characters draw out each other's strengths.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New series started serialization this week, "The Ichinose Family's Deadly Sins." First chapter is interesting but kind of feels like it takes too long to get to the twist.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Given the title I'm going to be disappointed if there isn't a 7th family member hiding somewhere.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the art's definitely improved from takopi at least. everyone looks less bobblehead-y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The hook here is interesting, but obviously a lot depends on the execution with this kind of "big mysteries" series.