Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Julias posted:

I don't like the komurasaki face on the cover. Her crying clashes with luffy laughing in front of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Julias posted:

I don't like the komurasaki face on the cover. Her crying clashes with luffy laughing in front of her.

well she is taking a bite out of a spicy dragon so of course she is going to tear up and snot a little

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Was just about to post this.

It's legitimately a perfect piece of cover art for the whole drat series.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Me when the homies go watch Bambi (i love eating deer meat)

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
So for the people who have seen the film already, how important are the lead in anime episodes? Are they worth watching before going to the film if I normally just read the manga?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Roxors posted:

So for the people who have seen the film already, how important are the lead in anime episodes? Are they worth watching before going to the film if I normally just read the manga?
Kinda fluffy like all movie filler and it’s funny to hear characters like Sengoku and Garp say names like “Tot Musica” with biting hardness but Ben Beckmann lights a cig with sheer willpower alone and gets a nice one-to-one scene with Luffy so it’s not a bad way to spend 40 mins

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

They seriously gently caress with Romance Dawn though. There's a scene where it shows Shanks has the gomu gomu, but this all takes place before Romance Dawn which was right after they had stolen the fruit from Cipher Pol.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/TCBScans/status/1588286039327526912

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Cat Machine posted:

Kinda fluffy like all movie filler and it’s funny to hear characters like Sengoku and Garp say names like “Tot Musica” with biting hardness but Ben Beckmann lights a cig with sheer willpower alone and gets a nice one-to-one scene with Luffy so it’s not a bad way to spend 40 mins

Ben Beckmann? Oh you mean Benn Beckman.

One Piece names are so fun :allears:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Hype

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

thank gaod

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

lfg

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yes please

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm about to see Film Red and the person behind me in the line for concessions pointed to a Luffy cosplayer and said "I don't know his name, he might be One Piece"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

luffy is one piece

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Arist posted:

I'm about to see Film Red and the person behind me in the line for concessions pointed to a Luffy cosplayer and said "I don't know his name, he might be One Piece"

:hmmyes:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Arist posted:

That guy is onto something

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nika Fruit is One Piece it's been in front of us the whole time

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

its been so long since i read one piece..... like this morning i was in the early whole cake on the reread

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
The One Piece is real and he is my friend.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Film Red was pretty good!

Absolutely lost my loving poo poo at the shot of Gaimon in the credits

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
Just got back from seeing Red! Definitely my favorite One Piece film, the music and the story were all great. I remember getting bored several times during Stampede, this was so much better to see in theaters. My favorite part was Blueno when he turns into a tiny cute mascot, running around with Bepo and Sunny

Crazy to think that it took 25 years to see the Red Hair Pirates in action.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Never seen a One Piece film in theaters so super stoked for tomorrow. I offered to wait until the evening if my partner wanted to go with, but they are pretty much at the "he's One Piece" stage themselves so they said I could go it alone.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Havoc904 posted:

Just got back from seeing Red! Definitely my favorite One Piece film, the music and the story were all great. I remember getting bored several times during Stampede, this was so much better to see in theaters. My favorite part was Blueno when he turns into a tiny cute mascot, running around with Bepo and Sunny

Crazy to think that it took 25 years to see the Red Hair Pirates in action.

Yeah, I feel like Red did a way better job than Stampede at including non-Strawhats; Stampede just shoved literally everyone in for a contrived reason so they could have everyone, and quickly made like 90% of them obsolete by having Douglas body 'em out of the movie so the usual crowd could come in and get in their designated one hit against him.

Red adds non-Strawhats but tones down the cast, which means they can actually, you know, do things in the movie.

Also Uta is a way better movie character than Douglas Bullet, who has like one emotion.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think the biggest laugh of the entire movie in my theater was for Bepo's introduction.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think I like Stampede more than Film Red tbh. Hot take maybe. everything to do with the Tot Musica and the Demon King kind of made absolutely no sense and I'd take douglass bullets giant bullshit awakening over that any day. Uta and Shanks and Luffy's relationship is really the only thing holding the movie together.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Just got back from the theater. It was good. My friend who doesn’t read/watch liked it too. I am not a musical type fan but I liked most of the songs. They got better when I stopped trying to read the lyric subs and just focused on the visuals.

I didn’t really think about it ahead of time but the huge IMAX screen made it a little harder than normal to read the subs, but I got used to it pretty quick.

Blueno is the worst spy ever, he immediately outed himself when he saw Koby on the phone.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i was pretty bleh on it. not a waste of money and i had a good enough time but i doubt I'll ever watch it again. [] I liked the music but basically any fight scene just felt like characters were appearing in voids to do final fantasy summon attack animations before sliding off screen for the next crewmate/guest character to do the same. i'm a manga only person so maybe my experiences are just heavily based on that, but after seeing some of the cooler directed clips from the anime i had my hopes up for cool fights and this didn't really deliver. OP almost always does a great job of makign fights feel like they're in a place, where you can understand what people are doing and where, and this didn't have that at all.

luffy and uta bouncing off each other was great, but there wasn't much of it since luffy spent half the movie in a hamster ball for some reason. i liked the usopp/yasopp bit. the "fight" between Uta and the Strawhats at the beginning was really cool and i didn't mind how jumbled it felt because it felt like a stylistic choice with the music rather than the issue I had with the other fight scenes. "sunny turning into a mascot" was very weird and felt even weirder because no one really cared and they only existed to be on screen 3-4 times and say "sunny" like a pokemon, i'd honestly have rather it been introduced earlier and been an actual character.

tiny bepo was great. the dub was good, i'm not really familiar with the dub cast since no one posts clips of it like they do the jp anime but everyone seemed good (Shank's voice was probably the only one I didn't like but it was inoffensive at worst). basically any time a character was rendered in 3D it sucked but the 2D animation was good aside from the parts where it just stayed on a still image for long enough for you to realize they weren't blinking or tapping their foot or something. i liked seeing Coby and i liked that everyone knew who he was.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i dont think ive seen a one piece movie in full besides 7?

theyre all bad imo.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I liked Strong World, and really liked Z and Gold. Excited to get to Stampede once I finish whole cake island again, and Red when it's available for me

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

oddium posted:

luffy is one piece

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Countblanc posted:

Basically any fight scene just felt like characters were appearing in voids to do final fantasy summon attack animations before sliding off screen for the next crewmate/guest character to do the same. i'm a manga only person so maybe my experiences are just heavily based on that, but after seeing some of the cooler directed clips from the anime i had my hopes up for cool fights and this didn't really deliver. OP almost always does a great job of makign fights feel like they're in a place, where you can understand what people are doing and where, and this didn't have that at all.

This is actually something that bothered me too but I figure this one wasn’t about the fights as much.

Z is still my fave followed by Gold.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

all these spoilers for movie chat throwin me off!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/TCBScans/status/1588388440575422465

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/4716/one-piece-chapter-1065?2022-11-044521

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Holy poo poo

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
whelp

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I thought Film Red was a fun time and pretty unusual for a One Piece movie in a few interesting ways, despite using a couple of common tropes near the end. Great music, too.

Storywise, it's much more of a character drama piece than the last couple of movies and for me that was alright. In turn, it's not really a battle-oriented movie (except for the mandatory final confrontation). Those looking for 1v1 duels will likely be disappointed. However, I would still recommend it to people who like seeing big team-ups and collaborations, especially those which are extremely unlikely to happen in the original manga or anime anytime soon. In this sense, the last battle does have a unique "dream team" feel and there's joy to be found in that.

Even so, Film Red has noticeably less of an "all-star" ensemble cast than Stampede. If anything, the musical performances were more of the main attraction for the majority of the movie this time around. They did some neat animated choreography for those singing sequences. For instance..."Backlight" was especially on fire, although perhaps a little on the short side.

I also thought the interactions between Luffy, Uta and Shanks were all solid. We're not likely to see Shanks being more active than this in years, so that was appreciated.

EDIT: Oh, look at the exact time I'm posting this. I'll go read the latest chapter now, lol.

wielder fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 4, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

HOLY poo poo VOID CENTURY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

omfg