Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So Seraphims with fruit powers, artificial or is Senor Pink dead now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Film Red kinda sucked and tbh was maybe even a little misogynist?

Anyway new chapter is making my eyes pop outta my skull like I'm in Gear 5

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Holy poo poo

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Bleck posted:

Film Red kinda sucked and tbh was maybe even a little misogynist?

Aside from liking or disliking the movie...not sure why you'd call it "misogynist". Certainly not more so than regular One Piece at least.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Chapter 1065
Warhammer 4Kids

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 4, 2022

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
a huge reveal there where lineage factor contains memories/personality traits and we know devil fruits affect lineage factor

devil fruits literally are a persons will, arent they?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
holy poo poo

usopp is a Vegapunk

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Cloks posted:

holy poo poo

usopp is a Vegapunk

Chapter 1065
y'know I always thought he was a suspiciously good "inventor"

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 4, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cloks posted:

holy poo poo

usopp is a Vegapunk

Chapter 1065
I wish Chopper had been there to go :eyepop: at that revelation :shobon:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 4, 2022

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Jerusalem posted:

I wish Chopper had been there to go :eyepop: at that revelation :shobon:

Chapter 1065
:eyepop: D...D-DOCTOR USOPP :eyepop:

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 4, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Incredibly disappointed there wasn't a Thomas Bangalter Vegapunk to go with Shaka's Guy-Manuel.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"I am Doctor Vegapunk, the world's greatest scientist. I built a robot body that eats and shits for me so I don't have to."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

"I am Doctor Vegapunk, the world's greatest scientist. I built a robot body that eats and shits for me so I don't have to."

"Hello, I'm Vegapunk York, and I eat and poo poo so you don't have to."

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

wielder posted:

Aside from liking or disliking the movie...not sure why you'd call it "misogynist". Certainly not more so than regular One Piece at least.

Film Red spoilers;

Uta's powers and almost the entirety of the plot are a contrivance to make it so Luffy doesn't have to punch a pretty girl in the face, and also Uta's whole character arc is arguably basically just "women are so emotional am I right fellas."

e: VVV good idea.

Bleck fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 4, 2022

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Since we're having people talk about the movie and the new chapter at the same time, could people label the spoilers in their posts/quotes as movie spoilers or chapter spoilers?

I've seen the movie and read the chapter so it's not for my sake but I know there's a lot of people seeing the movie tomorrow or over the weekend so I think it'd be nice for them.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
finally...a giant mech for the giant hat

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I wonder which of Vegapunk's bodies was meant to match the weird silhouette in the Punk Hazard flashback?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Funky Valentine posted:

Chapter:
Still waiting for Luffy to be there to ask "Do you poop?"

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 4, 2022

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Chapter: VOID CENTURY HOLY poo poo :eyepop:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Well holy poo poo (@chapter)

anime was right posted:

a huge reveal there where lineage factor contains memories/personality traits and we know devil fruits affect lineage factor

devil fruits literally are a persons will, arent they?

It's just like I was saying after the Nika reveal, every fruit is based on some person from the past, Luffy's is just the one where that's most relevant. Or, rather, the first one that we actually know about, because he's the protagonist.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
(New chapter)

Finally, the answer to 'Do you poop?' can be 'It's complicated.'

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
Film Red:

A lot of people had good character moments, but I was really liking seeing Brulee and Oven. Brulee being bullied by Nami was pretty good and then Sanji defending and sweet talking her was even better.

The power stuff was nonsense. I wish they'd figure out some more elegant interesting concepts that slid more easily into One Piece then giant things that take so loving long to explain. Gold is my high standard since it required the least outside explanations. At least the Demon King here allowed for some great interplay between various characters.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bleck posted:

Film Red spoilers;

Uta's powers and almost the entirety of the plot are a contrivance to make it so Luffy doesn't have to punch a pretty girl in the face, and also Uta's whole character arc is arguably basically just "women are so emotional am I right fellas."

The word "arguably" is doing a lot of work here

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Bleck posted:

Film Red spoilers;

Film Red:

Luffy punching people, even women, to solve their problems would be expected. See: Vivi, for instance (not sure how I feel about that one in terms of misogynism).

I felt they wanted to subvert that expectation a little bit here. His hesitation, in my view, isn't about gender. It's more about : a) Uta not asking/demanding to be "saved" per se. b) Luffy not wanting to fall for Uta provoking him into a fight.

I think that's giving Uta's arc too little nuance. Aside from her internal motivations (ie: trauma from Shanks leaving her behind, guilt over the "truth" of the destruction, responsibility due to the voices of her fans demanding salvation), there were at least two additional factors that influenced her, which aren't gender-specific at all (the sleepless mushrooms are literally said to cause loss of emotional control by Sanji, and whatever can be attributed to the power of Tot Musica itself and/or the devil fruit since they seem linked).

wielder fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 4, 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chefscientist posted:

Film Red:

A lot of people had good character moments, but I was really liking seeing Brulee and Oven. Brulee being bullied by Nami was pretty good and then Sanji defending and sweet talking her was even better.

The power stuff was nonsense. I wish they'd figure out some more elegant interesting concepts that slid more easily into One Piece then giant things that take so loving long to explain. Gold is my high standard since it required the least outside explanations. At least the Demon King here allowed for some great interplay between various characters.

Film Red (Obviously) Spoilers

I read somewhere (can't find the source at the moment, think it's this blog post but I don't have the TL) that the idea for Uta's ability and the Uta Uta World came about because they wanted Shanks in the movie, but couldn't have Luffy and Shanks meet (cause they haven't even met in the manga yet) so putting them in different worlds let them both exist in the movie without physically meeting.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Chapter: welp. I kinda always figured there was at least a possibility of an advanced civilization in the past since there’s an abandoned advanced civilization on the moon and all but knowing that said civilization was straight up The Jetsons-style future tech and society’s regressed so much after the Void Century is in and of itself a big holy poo poo moment. The lineage implication kinda pales in comparison, tbh.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
God tier usopp joke this chapter

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Chapter spoilers

What the fuuuuuck so Vegapunk has been using old void century technology and maybe reverse engineering it and that’s why they’re so successful?

Are we about to get a void century info dump?

What’s up with the Vegapunk bodies being able to share ingested food/energy and also pooping? Interesting that York got fat and then shrank again, just like Luffy does. Kidd did it too, when imprisoned in Udon. Other characters always comment on how it’s weird. Easily dismissed as a gag but Oda has made stuff like into plot points before, like with the Gomu Gomu fruit.

Looks like we’ve met all of the Vegapunks except the main body, wonder if that one is gonna be 00.

Great chapter

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Film Red

Fuckin' ruled. The music is a bop, no surprise there since Ado is just going ham. Was especially cool to hear New Genesis blasting the gently caress out of those IMAX speakers. Lots of fun moments throughout.

Bepo the Superfan :allears:

Gear 5 cameo at the end of the final fight, what the gently caress???? :tviv:

I couldn't help smiling at all the character callbacks during the credits.

Chapter

EXCUSE ME ARE WE GETTING loving VOID CENTURY LORE DUMPS WHAT WHAAATTTT

I might be overdosing on Cool One Piece poo poo this week.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

chapter spoiler

God now I wonder if the giants modeled their armor and cultural aesthetic around ancient kingdom mechs, and worship the sun because it was their source of power.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
chapter: lilith is going to try to use luffy as a power source, since he is the sun god after all

lih fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 4, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I wonder which of Vegapunk's bodies was meant to match the weird silhouette in the Punk Hazard flashback?

none of them, none of the ones we meet this chapter are the main body.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Awesome chapter, but how does one body pooping make the other bodies relieved? can they remotely share poop? Wireless poop transfer? This is important.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Awesome chapter, but how does one body pooping make the other bodies relieved? can they remotely share poop? Wireless poop transfer? This is important.

Fortunately we have a main character who asks these important questions

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
regarding the movie, how is it that one piece did musical dark phoenix before macross

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I haven't read the chapter yet and just accidentally saw this spoiler and wow now I am highly intrigued by the contents of this chapter.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Chapter spec:

Vegapunk's multiple-self stuff and Blackbeard's weird body are connected.

Usopp's lies coming true is going to be one hell of a thing if Oda follows through on this one. Whoo boy.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Film Red

i love that the gear 5 cameo exists entirely for manga readers to point at the screen and say "he did the thing!!" While confusing/spoiling the hell out of anime onlys

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!
Chapter

Good to see Vegapunk reverse-fanboying at least a little bit from Franky's beam attack. Maybe they'll get along after all. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Chapter

We probably haven't seen Vegapunk 0 because he literally split his body, and needs all of the other Vegapunks to come together first. Perhaps if CP0 manage to start killing off his bodies then he'll gradually reform into his original self.

Even with Franky's tech, I didn't expect One Piece to go full sci-fi on us! I guess I always assumed that the various bits and pieces of real or future tech like video screens and Franky's body were just for flavour and/or convenience, like in Naruto. I should have trusted in Oda more.