Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Libluini posted:

If the author knows his birds, definitely a Raven. (Ravens are capable of manipulating other animals to do their bidding, doing stuff like leading large predators (including Humans, once upon a time, not so much today) to prey or freshly dead animals, just so they have someone that can open up the carcass for easier access to the soft bits inside.)

Ravens are also best bird, like Makima is best, so that fits.

That said, all the evidence we have says that Makima's default form is human, with her form when defeated being Small Human. Unlike her sisters, she's very much pro-humanity. She just also is deeply hosed up from an abusive upbringing, and passes that emotional trauma on to others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I’m not particularly concerned with where nayuta or the dogs are but I want to know how meowy is doing :smith:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MizuZero posted:

I’m not particularly concerned with where nayuta or the dogs are but I want to know how meowy is doing :smith:

It’s at Denji’s house.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

that’s ofc the likeliest outcome, but we see meowy on the bench when kishibe ghosts after dropping off nayuta and the dogs, but they’re not in any of the “walking home/fulfilling home life” panels afterward. kishibe should have kept them!!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'm still finding it deeply suspiscious how we're never getting Denji's inner thoughts. Even when a psychic is reading them, we only get a description, not a chance to see inside his head.

It feels like there's going to be some reveal about Denji, Nayuta, or maybe even the Blood Devil, but I can't think what it's going to be in advance. What we get of Denji is very, very Denji, but he also tends to have something interesting going on below the surface, and we haven't seen any of that yet in part 2.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think it's just an intentional storytelling device since Denji is no longer our main character. Yeah there's something deeper at work, but even then his goals were still what he really wanted - I have no reason to doubt his "become famous by revealing he's Chainsaw Man" thing ls legit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I think it's just an intentional storytelling device since Denji is no longer our main character. Yeah there's something deeper at work, but even then his goals were still what he really wanted - I have no reason to doubt his "become famous by revealing he's Chainsaw Man" thing ls legit.

The thing is, we got plenty of inner monologue from non-Denji characters in Part 1. Aki, Power, Himeno, Reze...

The most prominent character who kept things private was Makima. And there turned out to be a pretty good reason for that.

I have no doubt that Denji's claimed goals are legit. Similarly, Makima really did want to help more people on a wider scale.

It's just there were a lot of small complications to that plan that didn't quite get mentioned until much later.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I'm gonna be very amused when the next episode of the anime invalidates all the Power fan art that the anime-onlys have made.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I'm gonna be very amused when the next episode of the anime invalidates all the Power fan art that the anime-onlys have made.

What is different?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Everyone draws her with a huge chest, when she wears pads (which is weird, in retrospect. Why would she even care?)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Everyone draws her with a huge chest, when she wears pads (which is weird, in retrospect. Why would she even care?)

How have you not yet noticed that Power is vain as hell?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
It is honestly a little out of character. Power is asexual throughout the rest of the series, never once showing interest in sex or romance. Why would she care about padding? Her comedic megalomania doesn't seem like it would allow her to acknowledge anyone else's preferences mattering.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

True, I just figured it was more "I'm an unstoppable warrior goddess!" then "I conform to human beauty standards."

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

it's because she is a gremlin creature who likes messing with people. topic locked

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!
makima told her to wear them

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
power loves being the center of attention and big boobs make that easier.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Squidster posted:

It is honestly a little out of character. Power is asexual throughout the rest of the series, never once showing interest in sex or romance. Why would she care about padding? Her comedic megalomania doesn't seem like it would allow her to acknowledge anyone else's preferences mattering.

Power is a strong believer in dressing as the person you want to be. See also, the incident with the glasses. Padded bras are just another way for her to assert dominance over lesser mortals and revel in their jealousy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I just figure as a 1000 IQ super genius she has a good reason.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
A lot of people get her characterization wrong.

Everyone likes to portray her as adorable feral girl, but a teenage girl's naked corpse in the woods has very specific connotations and they aren't adorable. She just took advantage of that because she's kind of a wimp.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8blR4B1CEU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lol

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

This is amazing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Power is a strong believer in dressing as the person you want to be. See also, the incident with the glasses. Padded bras are just another way for her to assert dominance over lesser mortals and revel in their jealousy.

Yeah. Mainly, it exists to set up a joke (and the joke exists to set up Denji's first bout of existential despair), but in character Power just sees it as another way to emphasize both her greatness and her cuteness.

Probably is also relevant that the two people with the most direct authority over her when she joined Public Safety were Makima and Himeno, so Power making the assumption that breast pads exist to asset authority over one's lessers under those conditions is very... Power.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

what did this end up being anyway

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fungah! posted:

what did this end up being anyway

They announced that a big talk show was doing a Chainsaw Man special episode. Nothing too interesting for people outside Japan, but it'll probably boost circulation.

Hanset
Aug 30, 2007
I realized there is a good chance Denji has no idea about the whole concept erasure thing. I doubt Kishibe explained it to him considering the chaos it could cause and how crazy he considers Denji. Would be funny if Yoru starts demanding he vomit up nukes and he just has no idea what she's talking about.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hanset posted:

I realized there is a good chance Denji has no idea about the whole concept erasure thing. I doubt Kishibe explained it to him considering the chaos it could cause and how crazy he considers Denji. Would be funny if Yoru starts demanding he vomit up nukes and he just has no idea what she's talking about.

Considering the whole plan Denji had for dealing with Makima, I think Kishibe would bring it up, if only to mitigate the risk of, you know. The destruction of reality as we know it.

Also, he and Pochita talk in dreams now, so I'd figure Denji would at least ask.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I assumed Power just wanted another layer between her and Denji, and her loose shirt hid any pads or lack thereof before she was in civilian clothes.

Edit: And the reason we never see Denji's thoughts is because he can't/can barely read. So they're all crayon drawings and scribbles the likes of Charlie Alwayssunny's dream journal.

Elfface fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Nov 5, 2022

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
I forget, has the series at any point said why there are fiends? As in, why a devil would chose to take over a corpse to become one? Is it simply a 'in order to say hidden' thing?

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

raocow posted:

I forget, has the series at any point said why there are fiends? As in, why a devil would chose to take over a corpse to become one? Is it simply a 'in order to say hidden' thing?

Something was said about it usually being a desperation move to stay alive but I can't find where right now.

It's all really confusing though. Just thinking too hard about how Power ate Pochita to revive yet Pochita still reacts when Power nearly obeys Makima... The mechanics of Chainsaw Man are incredibly vague with a lot of rear end pulls that some how work.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Popo posted:

It's all really confusing though. Just thinking too hard about how Power ate Pochita to revive yet Pochita still reacts when Power nearly obeys Makima... The mechanics of Chainsaw Man are incredibly vague with a lot of rear end pulls that some how work.

Power and Denji are simply geniuses that created perpetual motion.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Zombie Devil is grossed out when Denji comes back alive, the Bat Devil is grossed out when Denji drinks his blood

Devils are just weird wacky creatures who does whatever they want. Power's gonna take that body and what're you gonna do to stop her, huh? She's a loving genius you know.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fiends are weaker than base devils, so there doesn't seem to be much point in becoming one intentionally. Also, being a fiend isn't an effective form of camouflage because they all have some sort of "tell" (like power's horns).

I think it was stated that becoming a fiend is a last ditch attempt for a dying devil to stay alive, but I can't remember where or when.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Something I've been forgetting to post about: huge props to the anime team for adding Power impatiently knocking on the apartment door and triggering my flight or fight response.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Something I've been forgetting to post about : huge props to the anime team for adding Power impatiently knocking on the apartment door and triggering my flight or fight response.

Happy birthday Denji

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

raocow posted:

It could be since outside of a couple exceptions most devils are rather big and difficult to hide.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

It could be since outside of a couple exceptions most devils are rather big and difficult to hide.

May give them a firmer anchor to the human world, too. Given that no devil seems to actually want to spend any more time than necessary in hell, that seems like a decent tradeoff for a downgrade in power.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Elfface posted:

I assumed Power just wanted another layer between her and Denji, and her loose shirt hid any pads or lack thereof before she was in civilian clothes.

Edit: And the reason we never see Denji's thoughts is because he can't/can barely read. So they're all crayon drawings and scribbles the likes of Charlie Alwayssunny's dream journal.

We saw Denji's thoughts all the time back in part 1. They were surprisingly insightful.

That's a big part of why I'm so curious about not seeing them at all in part 2. He's thinking something, and I want to know what.

(This is only intensified by Makima being gone. You look at people who could get Denji's actual thoughts to the surface, she was the best at it by a decent margin.)

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I feel like we don't need to hear Denji's inner thoughts of all people to find out what he thinks. He's the most direct and disarmingly honest person in the comic. Even when he lies it's more like watching a golden retriever try to sneak somewhere, totally ineffective and adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GloomMouse posted:

I feel like we don't need to hear Denji's inner thoughts of all people to find out what he thinks. He's the most direct and disarmingly honest person in the comic. Even when he lies it's more like watching a golden retriever try to sneak somewhere, totally ineffective and adorable.

that's kind of the point, he's not great at expressing himself to others and plays the fool when he's in mixed company but he can get surprisingly thoughtful and melancholic in private moments, especially after aki died. right now we have no idea what his inner life is like, which feels like a deliberate contrast