Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nobody knows what any Ethiopian dishes are besides just the identifiable bits in them. Get some of the red poo poo and the yellow poo poo, some of the lentils, some of the stuff with the meaty bits in it... I had some yellow stuff with eggs in it once that was good. The beets and cabbage are always good. Get both kinds of bread. Just say "gently caress me up with your best stuff."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

CommonShore posted:

Nobody knows what any Ethiopian dishes are besides just the identifiable bits in them. Get some of the red poo poo and the yellow poo poo, some of the lentils, some of the stuff with the meaty bits in it... I had some yellow stuff with eggs in it once that was good. The beets and cabbage are always good. Get both kinds of bread. Just say "gently caress me up with your best stuff."
wrong, dumbass!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
The place I always go to has a combo platter and I keep thinking I'm going to get something else, but what if it doesn't come with the cabbage and the lentils and the other 4 things? That would be horrible, I must have all the things, so if they have a combo plate get that. Spouse has agreed to going for Ethiopian tonight, apparently he just doesn't like injera, which is fine, more for me.

mystes
May 31, 2006

CommonShore posted:

wat

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

:golfclap:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guildenstern Mother posted:

The place I always go to has a combo platter and I keep thinking I'm going to get something else, but what if it doesn't come with the cabbage and the lentils and the other 4 things? That would be horrible, I must have all the things, so if they have a combo plate get that. Spouse has agreed to going for Ethiopian tonight, apparently he just doesn't like injera, which is fine, more for me.

Yeah, both of the places near me, both of which are excellent, provide a variety of dishes in each container, probably five or six different ones, a couple with lentils,the cabbage and potato dish ( similar to the recipe I posted a few days ago which is incredibly good) sometimes beets, green beans, just all so bloody delicious.

My wife is away tomorrow, and possibly out for lunch on Thursday: I think I’m going to have Ethiopian… it’s also really easy to have a delicious vegetarian meal. I don’t feel the need to have any of the meat dishes; in fact I don’t think I’ve had Ethiopian meat dishes, only vegetarian and I’ve never wanted meat ones because the vegetarian stuff is just so drat good

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
i've never had ethiopian food but i have no good excuse for it because i've never lived more than twenty minutes from an ethiopian joint. there's this long street near camden that has like 7 ethiopian food places, growing up and driving past them in my dad's car was the first time i ever saw the amharic alphabet written out :')

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The only thing I've ever had at an Ethiopian place is the big combo platter where everything is on top of a HUGE pancake of injera and I don't think I will ever order anything else either. Even if I'm by myself. How are Ethiopian leftovers anyway, does injera survive ok in the fridge?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Injera quality decreases rapidly - typically good for a day or so before it gets tacky and weird.

Everything else reheats very nicely. And the cold salads are of course good until they aren't anymore, which depends on the type of salad.

Today's takeaway is that yes, Ethiopian food owns and everyone should be eating more of it, both for taste and because it's very ecologically friendly. One of the world's great food traditions.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/eric_erins/status/1377836099322662913?s=46&t=_4xx4LrKtSaeosrorI3LvA

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hawkperson posted:

The only thing I've ever had at an Ethiopian place is the big combo platter where everything is on top of a HUGE pancake of injera and I don't think I will ever order anything else either. Even if I'm by myself. How are Ethiopian leftovers anyway, does injera survive ok in the fridge?

I only hang into injera for a day before it gets eaten and I’m my experience it keeps well. I think I keep it out the fridge.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Look what you people made me do!! Happy, are you?

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Every couple of years I take a crack at making Injera at home. I can get some somewhat lopsided ones going, but I am so bad at tending sourdough starters. It's gf, and has a lovely nutty flavor. My homemade gf bread I sub in a half cup of teff flour to make it more... Rye-ish? Injera starter not maintained gets foul!

Watching YouTube videos of people making it in quantity I feel so incompetent!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

therattle posted:

Pretty jealous for that rn

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

therattle posted:

I mean, I’d be happier if it were going in my mouth too but sure

tilp
Apr 7, 2010
Went to a great Ethopian restaurant a couple of years ago. Plastic tablecloth, strip lights. We ordered this, that and that from the menu. "No" said the owner - "I think you should have that that and this". She was right...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

tilp posted:

Went to a great Ethopian restaurant a couple of years ago. Plastic tablecloth, strip lights. We ordered this, that and that from the menu. "No" said the owner - "I think you should have that that and this". She was right...

"uhh our Kitfo machine is broken..."

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

therattle posted:

This is going to be my good deed for the month, so I hope it was tasty.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

This is going to be my good deed for the month, so I hope it was tasty.

It was, and I have leftovers for tomorrow. It was A good deed because I was going to have curry goat rice and peas from an excellent Jamaican place near me which is also a most delicious dish, but I went with Ethiopian instead, which is better from a virtue point of view because it is vegetarian (at least in my view).

Just in case you missed it I am reposting the extraordinarily delicious Ethiopian cabbage carrot and potato dish that I posted recently.

It’s one of those dishes that takes a few elements and transforms them as if by magic into something far greater than the sum of its parts.

Very delicious.

therattle fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 2, 2022

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Therattle does your local Ethiopian place not offer rice for those who prefer not to with the injera? If MrsRattle doesn’t like rice either, sever.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

Therattle does your local Ethiopian place not offer rice for those who prefer not to with the injera? If MrsRattle doesn’t like rice either, sever.

I have never asked. She is coming round to injera but we’ve made rice to go with the last of the leftovers before, which works. She loves rice, not to worry. She likes most foods but not the sourdough tang.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Every place I’ve been to in the states is more than happy to provide rice if you ask, because injera is a pain in the butt to make, and rice is pretty cheap. Just check with them and see if they can accommodate. Also, if the injera has to be gluten free, would be sensible to make sure they’re using the 100% teff injera, and not the one cut with wheat flour, as is common.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I wonder if you could make a slightly fortified injera with some wheat flour and make an Ethiopian burrito. I would love that, as Ethiopian food is absolutely delicious but I hate how messy it is because I'm quite bad at using injera as my utensil.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Like dino mentioned, many (most?) Ethiopian restaurants make a hybrid wheat/teff injera, I think typically for cost purposes (and maybe the taste is more acceptable to the Western palate). Or at least they used to: in the last few years maybe gluten free has become such a thing that many have switched to 100% teff?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

Every place I’ve been to in the states is more than happy to provide rice if you ask, because injera is a pain in the butt to make, and rice is pretty cheap. Just check with them and see if they can accommodate. Also, if the injera has to be gluten free, would be sensible to make sure they’re using the 100% teff injera, and not the one cut with wheat flour, as is common.

But I like injera! And I don’t need to be gluten-free, and nor does my wife; just my son. You haven’t had Ethiopian food from a restaurant yet but I suspect he would really like it apart from the very spicy stuff. He really enjoys the cabbage potato curry dish I make and the wot (or as I describe it to him, Ethiopian dal).

Edit. OMG, I have just realised what is happening here. It’s Big Rice in action.

therattle fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 4, 2022

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Hey! Just because I work in rice doesn’t mean I’m from :airquote: big rice. :airquote:

Ok, maybe it does.

:iia:

mystes
May 31, 2006

therattle posted:

Edit. OMG, I have just realised what is happening here. It’s Big Rice in action.
lmao

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

dino. posted:

Hey! Just because I work in rice doesn’t mean I’m from :airquote: big rice. :airquote:

Ok, maybe it does.

I want to work in rice.

Do you need a rice product manager to come up with new and innovative rice solutions, built on a foundation of expansive industry knowledge and best practices, but with a focus on integrating bleeding edge technological advancements in the field?

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

dino. posted:

Ok, maybe it does.

do you have a riceberry guy you can get me in touch with? i've been craving it for like two years

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

w4ddl3d33 posted:

do you have a riceberry guy you can get me in touch with? i've been craving it for like two years

Rice berry is a bitch to get into USA. It’s over double the cost per tote for the bulk product compared to cargo rice, or even red cargo. Packaged is not even something I want to think of. And that’s conventional. 😭 November or December will hopefully get the new crop in, and it should be easier to find. Nobody has old crop in stock.

@Doom Rooster: you joke, but rice R&D is definitely a thing that the big ready to eat companies are doing all the time. It’s hours of market research, recipe testing to keep overall costs down, and then scaling those recipes. And a good 99.99% of the stuff you spent all that time developing goes directly in the trash because the buyer doesn’t like it.

dino. fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 5, 2022

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

Rice berry is a bitch to get into USA. It’s over double the cost per tote for the bulk product compared to cargo rice, or even red cargo. Packaged is not even something I want to think of. And that’s conventional. 😭 November or December will hopefully get the new crop in, and it should be easier to find. Nobody has old crop in stock.

@Doom Rooster: you joke, but rice R&D is definitely a thing that the big ready to eat companies are doing all the time. It’s hours of market research, recipe testing to keep overall costs down, and then scaling those recipes. And a good 99.99% of the stuff you spent all that time developing goes directly in the trash because the buyer doesn’t like it.

See? An update right from the heart of the beast.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

dino. posted:

Ok, maybe it does.

If you work with calrose/arborio, does that mean you're in league with "little rice"?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Ate my ethiopian leftovers for lunch like an absolute fool, here I am at munchies o'clock cursing my own previous gluttony

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ate my ethiopian leftovers for lunch like an absolute fool, here I am at munchies o'clock cursing my own previous gluttony
get more ethiopian food

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

You'd think the worst thing about St Louis would be the gun violence or the police brutality, but a very sneaky third option is the fact that almost every restaurant in the goddamn city closes at like 9.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

You'd think the worst thing about St Louis would be the gun violence or the police brutality, but a very sneaky third option is the fact that almost every restaurant in the goddamn city closes at like 9.

:what:

That is some dry county-rear end poo poo right there.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

dino. posted:

Rice berry is a bitch to get into USA.

luckily i am a britgoon, show me the rice!!!

all jokes aside what a cool job to have

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mister Facetious posted:

If you work with calrose/arborio, does that mean you're in league with "little rice"?

There is a South Asian rapper called Bassmati who has actually done a cover of Vanilla Ice’s Ice Ice Baby but as Rice Rice Baby.

That’s become dino‘s theme tune.

(I don’t think it’s quite as good as his cover of Little Dicky’s Pillow Talking, Pilau Talking though)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

A lot of friends are getting COVID again. Making some gumbo for them so they don’t have to leave the house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
So good to finally be able to cook and still have a cool living room