Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Blind Rasputin posted:

The fact that Elizabeth and Booker were the inspiration for the Hermione and Harry Potter characters written by JK Rowling (who’s turned out to have horrendous personal opinions) is all you need to know about Bioshock Infinite.

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

veni veni veni posted:

Cold War was basically a BLOPs campaign and was good. BLOPS 3 sucked poo poo and 4 didn't even have a campaign.

The one that stuck out to me recently was Infinite Warfare, which I am 100% would be a local goon favorite game if you could peel the COD name off it somehow. Absolutely epic sci fi campaign with some of the most fun dogfighting around. And it's like 15 hours long if you do everything.

it's been said a few times but Infinite Warfare is the best Battlestar Galactica game ever

It came out the same year as Titanfall 2 and I will go on the record and say that I preferred IW's campaign. Especially that level on the asteroid which had like a 15 second day/night cycle

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Weird Sandwich posted:

It didn't take a pretentious game journalist to realize that "Actually the oppressed rebels are just as bad as their racist oppressors" is a dogshit take, even in 2012.

The biggest problem really though is that it's not a perfectly decent shooter, the actual gameplay was incredibly mediocre and a downgrade compared to both 1 and 2.

I think the problem Infinite has is that it wasn’t trying to say both sides are equal, they were trying to pull off some monkey’s paw “careful what you wish for” thing and stepped in a completely avoidable mess of social commentary. (And then the DLC took it from questionable to outright mind bogglingly stupid.)

And yeah it’s a step down from the first two, but taken on its own merits it can be pretty fun when you get in the zone and start popping heads and making crow bombs out of corpses everywhere.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Did anyone who ordered the future press Elden ring books get theirs yet? Amazon says November 17th but people are posting pictures of theirs in the reviews, saying it’s great but the shipping sucks. I guess it looks like it’s people from the UK only, too.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It came out the same year as Titanfall 2 and I will go on the record and say that I preferred IW's campaign. Especially that level on the asteroid which had like a 15 second day/night cycle

What the gently caress? This sounds awesome

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Dewgy posted:

I think the problem Infinite has is that it wasn’t trying to say both sides are equal, they were trying to pull off some monkey’s paw “careful what you wish for” thing and stepped in a completely avoidable mess of social commentary. (And then the DLC took it from questionable to outright mind bogglingly stupid.)

And yeah it’s a step down from the first two, but taken on its own merits it can be pretty fun when you get in the zone and start popping heads and making crow bombs out of corpses everywhere.

I'll be honest, I don't remember the story at all but I do remember the gun play being fun and the setpieces being neat. I enjoyed Infinite when I played it but if I played it again I probably would hate it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

No one actually likes or remembers Bioshock 2, everyone who says they like or remember it is talking about the Minerva’s Den DLC

wrong bish. I love Bioshock 2, it's the best of the 3

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My favorite Bioshock 2 anecdote was an art guy from Arkane (Sebastien Mitton, he co-directed Deathloop) shrinking the luggage because he was indignant at how comically sized it was in Bioshock. Arkane played a large role in that game's development, for those that didn't know.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Same for me. I haven't even played Minerva's.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I never beat BioShock 1 because I got to Point Prometheus, took one look at it, and went "this game is exactly one level too long" and stopped playing. I should play 2.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Arist posted:

I never beat BioShock 1 because I got to Point Prometheus, took one look at it, and went "this game is exactly one level too long" and stopped playing. I should play 2.

It's really good!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Cowman posted:

I'll be honest, I don't remember the story at all but I do remember the gun play being fun and the setpieces being neat. I enjoyed Infinite when I played it but if I played it again I probably would hate it.

That's my experience as well. The gunplay felt fun. The story was horrid and nothing felt meaningful which if that was the design choice, good job!

I replay bioshock 1 and 2 sometimes but I never feel a desire to play infinite.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Between learning Arkane was involved with Bioshock 2 and being reminded how baller CoD: Jason X was, I’m gonna end up spending the weekend replaying old rear end games instead of chipping at the shameful backlog.

(I also remember Advanced Warfare being pretty decent, though I think a lot of that was the mobility of the float/double jump and the villain being pre-cancelled Kevin Spacey playing legally distinct Frank Underwood.)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it's been said a few times but Infinite Warfare is the best Battlestar Galactica game ever

I'm a huge Titanfall 2 fan, but I would say the two campaigns are equally good in different ways.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Re: bioshock. I have gotten the collection for free on multiple platforms, so it's been on my short list to give the series a fair shake for a while. Quit the first one after a few hours, never played 2 and finished Infinite.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Would You Kindly play through BioShock 1 at least once? Put it on easy, the only difference is enemy HP pools and its Hella fun to run around making enemy faction fight with Big Daddies

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I thought I was the only one, Bioshock 2 gang rise up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
bioshock 2’s incidental dialogue from the splicers is excellent but you’ll only hear like 20% of it max while playing and understand maybe half of that

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I promised Sigourney Weaver wearing pickle rick

Edit: I have to fix the video

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 4, 2022

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

imhotep posted:

Did anyone who ordered the future press Elden ring books get theirs yet? Amazon says November 17th but people are posting pictures of theirs in the reviews, saying it’s great but the shipping sucks. I guess it looks like it’s people from the UK only, too.

Mine shipped like a few days ago, from what I understand the UK got theirs early while the rest of the world had to wait longer. According to my tracking info mine is arriving Tuesday.

Meanwhile From just announced a double art book set for Elden Ring in Japan and now I want to get that too.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's been a long while so it's hard for me to catalog my gripes with Bioshock Infinite, but I remember resenting it for the shock in its title. Bioshock 1 was more streamlined than I would've liked but it still worked as an immersive sim and spiritual sequel to System Shock 2. Infinite going full cinematic roller coaster was like a microcosm of where I felt the entire industry was heading during that era and it just bummed me out. I'm so grateful that we eventually got Prey.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I fixed the video
https://twitter.com/ShareHoot/status/1588633278277459972?t=zIrNuZcZywrFrHiBFZpKww&s=19

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

:ck5:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

i think not

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism
:buddy:

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Bioshock 1 was dumb in lots of ways, but it was novel and showed that the Xbox 360 era could maybe work towards interesting ideas and maybe AAA games could go somewhere.

Bioshock Infinite was the crest of that generation’s wave and it just showed that all the money and years of hype and anticipation was just making racist Disneyworld, more homogenised gameplay and an even dumber story. AAA was going nowhere.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I would play bioshock but only if it was actually F.e.a.r. Instead

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
What do you know, I've been playing COD Infinite Warfare to fill the time before Ragnarok. Anyway, it's tight. I mean it's totally ludicrous, the player character is:
  • A spec ops guy
  • A fighter pilot
  • Gets promoted to the captain of Earth's last capital ship like 10 minutes into the game
As far as I can tell, the entire game takes place across a single day. You warp around the solar system and fight a battle around every planet, and completely undo the villain war-machine, in a day. And the baddies, oh man, they're like the OPA as depicted by Inner TV news. Just mean, nonspecifically-foreign cackling bastards who want to gently caress up the Earth because it's too drat free.
I wish the roster had some single-shot rifles. Still fun though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Real hurthling! posted:

I would play bioshock but only if it was actually F.e.a.r. Instead

Imagine a remake/remaster of those with all the PS5/DualSense bells and whistles :sickos:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kilometers Davis posted:

Imagine a remake/remaster of those with all the PS5/DualSense bells and whistles :sickos:

Directed by hideo kojima

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I beat tunic and it was great, also I saw beanpole mention that he doesn’t like Zelda so he wasn’t sure if he’d like tunic, and while it also obviously has a lot of Zelda-y influences, I feel like it’s almost entirely in the presentation and the overall structure of Zelda games as far as how you progress by completing dungeons and getting 3 colored medallions or whatever, but I feel like it’s more like a souls like with an isometric fixed camera. The exploration has a lot of souls-like interconnected paths that organically guide you back to a shortcuts that have been open to you the whole game but hidden in really clever ways. But also the combat is just so much more interesting than any Zelda game I can think of, because you have a stamina bar and you can parry with your shield, and the various other tools and consumables you have (plus the cards you find which are basically like rings or talismans), or I guess breath of the wild has these as well but the combat is still weirdly clunky.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm interested in Tunic, it just happens to be behind half a dozen other games atm. Gonna try to get to it sometime before the end of the year but it may end up getting pushed to next year's slate.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If tunic played fast and fluid like deaths door i would agree it was an all timer must finish experience but it kinda plays iffy imo and as such its merely a stand out must play for its innovative mystery elements

Dd by the way is not an all timer it just plays like what could have been one if it were as cool as tunic

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Yeah I’m not necessarily recommending it as much as just saying that it surprised me with the similarities to from soft games and how unlike Zelda it is despite the very overt references to it. Although it was very good, im just not as into that sort of fixed camera, basically 2D or isometric games like that for the most part, or it’s just very rare that I do enjoy games like it.

Edit: what’s iffy about it? I haven’t played deaths door but tunic seemed more interesting to me, because of the unique things it does like collecting the manual and the way it conveys information to you in general while using a made up language.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 5, 2022

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Tunic is also pretty good eye candy, in case you also just want to hang out and see cool things happen in a pretty world that also happens to have decent gameplay.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Macichne Leainig posted:

Tunic is also pretty good eye candy, in case you also just want to hang out and see cool things happen in a pretty world that also happens to have decent gameplay.

I love how Tunic looks, it's an easy thing to overlook when considering it. The mix of organic and geometric shapes gives it a retro feel without submissively reproducing a retro appearance. And I love its commitment to isometric presentation down to details like how your HP and stamina bars are isometric square columns. Or how the language's glyphs are isometric projections of 3D objects.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I thought I was the only one, Bioshock 2 gang rise up.
I just finished re-playing through this the other day and it still holds up

I will say that the enemy splicer gun accuracy is a bit ridiculous even on medium though. They can chew through your health stupidly fast.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Blind Rasputin posted:

The fact that Elizabeth and Booker were the inspiration for the Hermione and Harry Potter characters written by JK Rowling (who’s turned out to have horrendous personal opinions) is all you need to know about Bioshock Infinite.

Hold on, is JK Rowling a time traveler? Am I missing a joke?

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 5, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BR lookin at the thread: "boom, headshot."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rasputin’s posts are Art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Okay, I’m definitely missing a joke then. Bravo.