Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's gonna say Hunk Records, Vegapunk has a database of all the hunks in One Piece.

Dunk Records, One Piece is the Chaos Dunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jesus Christ I think Red is my favorite OP movie

Absolutely fantastic

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Dear God am I ever craving next week's issue already... :f5:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Chap

So is Señor Pink dead?

iirc the Pacifista Laser was copied from Kizaru so maybe not?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

CH Dying offscreen is not ~hardboiled~, so Señor Pink is not dead

Lpzie 2
Nov 1, 2022

When you elect nuts, you get squirrels!
One Piece 2

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Excelzior posted:

CH Dying offscreen is not ~hardboiled~, so Señor Pink is not dead

CH I think this was another artificial Devil Fruit re-creation by Vegapunk in the same way Momo ate the re-creation of Kaido's devil fruit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Red I like that Sabo being a fugitive at this point in the series kept him from cameoing in a third loving movie in a row.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Waffleman_ posted:

Red I like that Sabo being a fugitive at this point in the series kept him from cameoing in a third loving movie in a row.

(Not really spoilers, but still)
Speaking of Sabo, where does he rank on popularity pills relative to Ace? It could explain a lot about boosting his popularity as pseudo-Ace

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey what the gently caress did a One Piece movie actually make me cry

Red: was it when yasopp used observation haki explicitly to be extremely proud of his boy because that's what did it for me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nikumatic posted:

Red: was it when yasopp used observation haki explicitly to be extremely proud of his boy because that's what did it for me

First it was right when it opened with New Genesis, because I had been feeling a bit cruddy immediately before the show and Ado's voice really lifted my spirit and I think the second time was when World's Continuation came on

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Jesus Christ I think Red is my favorite OP movie

Absolutely fantastic

Just saw it myself, and yeah I think this tops my favorite One Piece movie

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Watching it in Japanese was very funny with them talking about Uta no Uta-Uta no Mi no uta.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the plot in Film Red is complete nonsense, but it had a lot of cool stuff in it, and that's how these anime movies tend to go

Shanks and his crew seem to be set up as unambiguously good guys in a story that I assume Oda had to approve to some degree. kind of makes me assume he's not going to have a heelturn in the manga

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also like at times you could 100% tell it was Taniguchi because there were a couple Code-Geass-rear end faces.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Film Red was kind of a hot mess but at least the music slapped. Did anyone watch the dub? I was wondering how well the music was handled. There were a lot of little teases, such as what is (presumably) Shanks' surname, CP0 being aware of and weirdly chill with SWORD (I thought it was like a secret rebel cell of Marines?) and Luffy outright saying that he wants to be the Pirate King to start a "new age" (I don't think he's ever said anything vaguely like that before aside from "I want people to be able to eat"??)

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

(Not really spoilers, but still)
Speaking of Sabo, where does he rank on popularity pills relative to Ace? It could explain a lot about boosting his popularity as pseudo-Ace

The first poll he was in had him as just above Ace, which pissed me off to no end. The recent international poll had him at just below Ace, which is a slight relief.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

we all love sabo

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
(Film) I didn't notice the lack of Sabo because Uta was Diet Sabo

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

If I’m a budding One Piece fan who’s only now just starting the Enies Lobby arc, would I be able to watch Film Red?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yes. There's going to be characters and references you won't be familiar with, though, obviously.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fecha posted:

Film Red was kind of a hot mess but at least the music slapped. Did anyone watch the dub? I was wondering how well the music was handled. There were a lot of little teases, such as what is (presumably) Shanks' surname, CP0 being aware of and weirdly chill with SWORD (I thought it was like a secret rebel cell of Marines?) and Luffy outright saying that he wants to be the Pirate King to start a "new age" (I don't think he's ever said anything vaguely like that before aside from "I want people to be able to eat"??)

Didn’t CP0 murder X Drake despite knowing he was a member of SWORD? It doesn’t make much sense for them to be buddies after that (though like many shonen anime movies I guess this isn’t really trying to fit into the timeline anyway).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Silver2195 posted:

Didn’t CP0 murder X Drake despite knowing he was a member of SWORD? It doesn’t make much sense for them to be buddies after that (though like many shonen anime movies I guess this isn’t really trying to fit into the timeline anyway).

Drake is still alive, though?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Arist posted:

Drake is still alive, though?

I thought the implication was that Drake and Hawkins both died, but I admit it wasn’t especially clear. At the very least, Drake wasn’t at the end-of-arc party the way Apoo was.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
cp0 and sword pretty clearly do not get along in the actual manga and even their names kinda play off each other - cp0's full name is cipher pol aegis zero, with aegis being the mythological shield etc.

drake's death wasn't confirmed and it wouldn't really surprise me if he shows up again - like, we just met a whole bunch of other marines from sword not too long ago. hawkins seems much more likely to be dead now but you never know with oda

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Speaking of Drake did Oda ever say whether his pirate crew actually knew whether he was an undercover marine or not?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Has anyone updated the manga-updates one piece page with the post apocalyptic tag yet

I mean I've always thought it was set long after a time when humanity was a tier 1 civilization or higher, considering how much of the world has been clearly manipulated. the red line has to have been done using some sort of immense terraforming equipment

Shabadu posted:

My pet theory after seeing the giant ancient robot design is that at some point all the current Giants WERE robots, and whatever happened in the void century with JoyBoy/Nika caused them to become free and proper living beings. It could tie into the giant straw hat we saw in Marijoa.
I am almost positive that this is literally a world of warcraft plot point:

I forget the specifics but from what I can vaguely remember: basically all living entities used to be mechanical celestial beings created by the gods that were basically transformer-style sentient robots. Then at one point one of the mechanical gods got corrupted by The Old Gods, eldritch beings native to the planet, and infected everything with the Curse of Flesh, turning all the mechanical races into the standard biological fantasy races etc, and they are now considered tainted, imperfect and unsalvageable by the mechanical gods

I'm sure I got a bunch of it wrong and also they've probably hosed that storyline up at some point since I stopped playing over a decade ago, but it was a pretty fascinating idea still, and sounds kinda like what your idea is

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Silver2195 posted:

Film-related, but not really a spoiler about it:

I didn't treat the movie scene as them all being "buddies" though...more like professional rivals, yet they still needed to cooperate grudgingly in this very specific context.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Kart Barfunkel posted:

If I’m a budding One Piece fan who’s only now just starting the Enies Lobby arc, would I be able to watch Film Red?

Definitely not

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
yeah shoulda bought a new pair of glasses if you had all the time in the world, buddy

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kart Barfunkel posted:

To get in you have to correctly answer a question each about Criminal Fashion, Soul King's Discography, and the World Economy News. Since you're only up to Enies Lobby, I doubt you can answer the usher's quiz.

If you can sneak in though, you'll probably get some spoilers for future arcs you haven't read yet.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

upon a reread, the lines from franky / lilithvegapunk seem kinda meaningful. idk why i didn't notice it more on the first read.

fire can be converted to any type of energy. ace was fire, sabo is fire, okay those are both good. sanji's notably able to conjure fire, luffy's able to conjure fire (sorta?).

"i can make my own sun". was the original joy boy "made"? was nika "made"?

the anime has REALLY been hammering home luffy's connection with... the moon? in the wano adaptation. check this clip out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKPXbHW7J7U at the 30-35 second mark. it's so blatant that they're connecting "smiling" with "the moon" for some reason.

theres something here but i can't put my finger precisely on what

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Moonlight is a reflection of sunlight, much in the way that one could consider the Human-Human Fruit Nika to be a reflection of the legendary sun god.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Plutonis posted:

Speaking of Drake did Oda ever say whether his pirate crew actually knew whether he was an undercover marine or not?

I don't think Drake's crew ever appeared again after Saboady

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I love how [film red] Kalifa showed up in the movie a couple times to look hot and do or say absolutely nothing

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Currently at the movies waiting for RED to start. :toot:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Drakkel posted:

I don't think Drake's crew ever appeared again after Saboady

Maybe Drake has never even done a single day of actual pirating in his life. It's all just false reports fed to the news and falsified records. His crew are all members of one of the lesser CP groups who only show up to play pirate at public events.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I just watched the new One Piece movie despite having never seen or read One Piece, and it kind of made me want to watch and/or read One Piece.

Was Luffy's mom banging Shanks? If so good for her, that guy's hot.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I just watched the new One Piece movie despite having never seen or read One Piece, and it kind of made me want to watch and/or read One Piece.

That is not Luffy's (real) mom, but also, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Read it! Start at chapter one it's great.