Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
He put in a lovely little poem, Larkin I think it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kestral posted:

This is the Watts-est thing, gods bless him.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pradmer posted:

Hard Luck Hank: Screw the Galaxy (#1) by Steven Campbell - Free
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FZ4OPI4/
even if you don't read this you should all buy it because a goon wrote it, gotta juice those metrics

also it's pretty good

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
watts is kind of ruined for me after the last like 6 years of people online posting like the world is ending after every headline. it was a uniquely bleak perspective when i first read blind sight (well, unique to me) and now upon reflection it's almost trite. that could be the fact my brain has basically not developed since i was 14 and i have an emo kid reflex to hate anything popular or ive seen a lot of lol.

anyway lol at the email story.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

watts is kind of ruined for me after the last like 6 years of people online posting like the world is ending after every headline. it was a uniquely bleak perspective when i first read blind sight (well, unique to me) and now upon reflection it's almost trite. that could be the fact my brain has basically not developed since i was 14 and i have an emo kid reflex to hate anything popular or ive seen a lot of lol.

anyway lol at the email story.

Did you read his later stuff? He's always bleak, but it's not like he gets stuck in one particular vision of doom. I found Freeze Frame Revolution pretty neat and really different from Blindsight.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i read echopraxia and between the two never really cared to look at any of his other stuff

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Someone is about to tell you why you dodged a bullet by not making it to the end of the Rifters books

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Amazon UK's Kindle store has the Silmarillion and Piranesi on its daily sales for a quid each.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

i read echopraxia and between the two never really cared to look at any of his other stuff

I didn't particularly enjoy Echopraxia but thought Freeze Frame Revolution was pretty good. It's got some of the good Stephen Baxter quality of events happening across deep time without being quite as flat as Baxter

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Does anyone have any idea what Sarah J. Maas's work is like?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

FPyat posted:

My buddy enjoyed the Court of Thorns and Roses stuff. Her prose is mostly decent but I don't have a *lot* of time for those 'falling in love with an rear end in a top hat' style fantasy romances. It's certainly not the worst example of those, though.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Ended up reading Tommyknockers, then watching the 1993 tv-series miniseries of Tommyknockers, and now want to mix up Tommyknockers and Tommy K's whenever talking about the Tommyknockers now. Only people from the CT-MA-RI area might get the following "Tommyknockers-Tommy K's" joke.

"Oh no the aliens are here and they want to rent us videos and give us fake tans!"

In between the Tommyknocker marathon I managed to read Nona the Ninth. Liked the Nona bits, loathed the John the "10000+ years isn't enough to hide my butthurt-ness over being publicly wrong on the internet" story universe flashbacks. Would rate Nona the Ninth 7 out of 9 bejeweled skulls because I was drastically misled about how many dogs were going to be in book by the dramatis persona/party invite list.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

FPyat posted:

I read the sample chapters for Throne of Glass once (her debut) and was instantly repelled. The prose is readable, maybe even the plot is fine too, but the characters are awful. We had:
  • A 19 (?) year old girl who is the deadliest assassin to ever assassin doing hard labor on a life (?) sentence to the mines being dragged out of there by the Crown Prince to compete in a competition to the death in exchange for her freedom
  • She's of average appearance, but actually no, she's super hot, no wait she's only super hot because she knows how to use makeup, wait no she's just your average self-insert vehicle
  • She's been pulled out of the mines and hasn't showered in five years or whatever and she's lost so much weight that SHE HAS NO BREASTS ANYMORE THE TRAGEDY but because she's just so super hot the Crown Prince immediately wants to bang her
  • Also the Crown Prince introduced himself. The Crown Prince. Introduced. Himself.
  • Did you know she's the deadliest assassin to ever assassin? She's got this super tragic backstory and she was trained by the King of Assassins to be so deadly that she could totally kill all these people in the room with her before they can even blink
  • "OMG a MIRROR and PRETTY DRESSES and WOE is me where are my awesome BOOBS I'm a TOTAL HAG but I'm also still totally hot because I've had a bath now so I'm just gonna be here narcissistically gazing into a mirror admiring my own not-beauty (no really I'm just a girl of AVERAGE appearance who also happens to be TOTALLY HOT in the right dress and makeup)"
  • "Also the Captain of the Royal Guard is a total jerk for dragging me, a condemned prisoner, out of the room in which I have been staring at myself in the mirror for mere hours, or maybe like five minutes max, and now I hate him, but he is hot, but not hot, not in the same way the Crown Prince is hot"
  • By the way did you know that she's the deadliest assassin to ever assassin?
  • "Oh no I have to travel in the rain rain is wet this is the worst I wish I would die" even though she's supposedly spent three or five or however many years doing hard labor in the mines
  • PS: she's probably also secret royalty with secret magic powers and is super super special and doesn't know it
  • PPS: she could totally assassinate all of these people who are being utter jerks to her because she's the deadliest assassin to ever assassin but she can't be bothered so she's just gonna sulk like a petulant child instead
Yeah I did not get any further than that. Apparently she gets better in her writing but never veers from this style of book, so it was clearly not for me.

Leng fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 5, 2022

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
aaaaaaaa just stayed up all night reading Golem and the Jinni, what a great, unique book. Kinda makes me think of A Fine and Private Place in some ways

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

idiotsavant posted:

aaaaaaaa just stayed up all night reading Golem and the Jinni, what a great, unique book. Kinda makes me think of A Fine and Private Place in some ways

I just finished that last week, absolutely loved it.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

FPyat posted:

My partner loves these books and relates the storylines to me after she's finished, which is fun. The prose IMO is very bad but the plots are entertaining. ACOTAR is quite a bit better than Throne of Glass, and avoids the worst of the stuff that Leng's criticizing above.

My favourite thing about Maas is that, like a gender-flipped version of a creepy 70s sci-fi guy, she wears her fetishes on her sleeve. She clearly has a thing for her heroines being captured, enslaved, humiliated, etc. In Throne of Glass there is a scene where the heroine pees her pants in front of the love interest.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Sailor Viy posted:

My partner loves these books and relates the storylines to me after she's finished, which is fun. The prose IMO is very bad but the plots are entertaining. ACOTAR is quite a bit better than Throne of Glass, and avoids the worst of the stuff that Leng's criticizing above.

My favourite thing about Maas is that, like a gender-flipped version of a creepy 70s sci-fi guy, she wears her fetishes on her sleeve. She clearly has a thing for her heroines being captured, enslaved, humiliated, etc. In Throne of Glass there is a scene where the heroine pees her pants in front of the love interest.

you post the teaser, but don't quote the scene? hosed up

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Leng posted:

I read the sample chapters for Throne of Glass once (her debut) and was instantly repelled. The prose is readable, maybe even the plot is fine too, but the characters are awful. We had:
  • A 19 (?) year old girl who is the deadliest assassin to ever assassin doing hard labor on a life (?) sentence to the mines being dragged out of there by the Crown Prince to compete in a competition to the death in exchange for her freedom
  • She's of average appearance, but actually no, she's super hot, no wait she's only super hot because she knows how to use makeup, wait no she's just your average self-insert vehicle
  • She's been pulled out of the mines and hasn't showered in five years or whatever and she's lost so much weight that SHE HAS NO BREASTS ANYMORE THE TRAGEDY but because she's just so super hot the Crown Prince immediately wants to bang her
  • Also the Crown Prince introduced himself. The Crown Prince. Introduced. Himself.
  • Did you know she's the deadliest assassin to ever assassin? She's got this super tragic backstory and she was trained by the King of Assassins to be so deadly that she could totally kill all these people in the room with her before they can even blink
  • "OMG a MIRROR and PRETTY DRESSES and WOE is me where are my awesome BOOBS I'm a TOTAL HAG but I'm also still totally hot because I've had a bath now so I'm just gonna be here narcissistically gazing into a mirror admiring my own not-beauty (no really I'm just a girl of AVERAGE appearance who also happens to be TOTALLY HOT in the right dress and makeup)"
  • "Also the Captain of the Royal Guard is a total jerk for dragging me, a condemned prisoner, out of the room in which I have been staring at myself in the mirror for mere hours, or maybe like five minutes max, and now I hate him, but he is hot, but not hot, not in the same way the Crown Prince is hot"
  • By the way did you know that she's the deadliest assassin to ever assassin?
  • "Oh no I have to travel in the rain rain is wet this is the worst I wish I would die" even though she's supposedly spent three or five or however many years doing hard labor in the mines
  • PS: she's probably also secret royalty with secret magic powers and is super super special and doesn't know it
  • PPS: she could totally assassinate all of these people who are being utter jerks to her because she's the deadliest assassin to ever assassin but she can't be bothered so she's just gonna sulk like a petulant child instead
Yeah I did not get any further than that. Apparently she gets better in her writing but never veers from this style of book, so it was clearly not for me.

Ngl, I would definitely read more of The Rahelu Review of Books

Sailor Viy posted:

Okay, request to change the thread title to Science Fiction & Fantasy Mega-thread: I wish there were more assassinations and less public pants-wetting.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 5, 2022

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Sailor Viy posted:

So, the 21st-century Sharon Green, then?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sailor Viy posted:

There's a lot I can say for these paragraphs but I'm gonna settle for please don't tell me your favorite parts of anything anymore.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Larry Parrish posted:

There's a lot I can say for these paragraphs but I'm gonna settle for please don't tell me your favorite parts of anything anymore.
No need to be a dick dude, especially a passive-aggressive one.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I read through the Throne of glass series. The first one was kind of dreadful basically for the reasons mentioned above. But from then on it continuously got way better to the point that I am a legitimate fan of the series. Some characters (which don't appear a lot in the first book) are quite cool and I like the absurd fantasy politics and leveraging fractions which are relevant later on.

I only stuck with the series because a friend was a big fan and urged to give it a bit mire if a chance. And quite frankly they were right. This is one if these genuinely good series which is just not easy to recommend because it starts quite bad. Like how the first season of Parks and Recreation is the worst of the bunch.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 6, 2022

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, something along these lines, but much longer and more specific. It made me sad but I think it was supposed to be a joke(?).

I think that’s an horrific misread of what a new parent really needs to hear (save it for the second kid, we don’t care by then) but very on brand.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Cicero posted:

No need to be a dick dude, especially a passive-aggressive one.

I chuckled. :shrug:

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Sailor Viy posted:

My impression is that she also seems to have a lot of main characters who look quite similar to her + love interests who at least broadly resemble her partner?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tildes posted:

My impression is that she also seems to have a lot of main characters who look quite similar to her + love interests who at least broadly resemble her partner?

I wonder if that's a trend and now if Laurel K Hamilton has her own dude harem.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Hello, SFF thread. This year's TBB Secret Santa is on, and I invite all to participate. What better opportunity to acquaint others with your favorite authors' favorite fetishes?

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

tildes posted:

Her partner has wings?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Sailor Viy posted:

Her partner has wings?

Ok I now know more specifics about this than feels normal, but eg Court of Thorns and Roses has a blonde blue eyed woman who falls in love w a man with short black hair.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
well, I'm not disputing that there could be a pattern of her fictional love interests resembling her real love interests (I haven't read any Maas so I can't say for certain) but I do have to point out that "man with short black hair" is almost as nonspecific a physical appearance as it is possible to have, and unless there's somehow more to it, I'm not too convinced?

"your honour, I draw your attention to the fact that the defendant has four limbs... the exact same number of limbs as the murderer!"

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
Reckon this twitter takeover is adding depth and realism to the emperor's character in Nona the Ninth.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

branedotorg posted:

Reckon this twitter takeover is adding depth and realism to the emperor's character in Nona the Ninth.

It was always completely believable.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

branedotorg posted:

Somebody asked why Joe Biden would ever nuke New Zealand in the GIP Current Events thread a week or two back!

So naturally I replied "because cows stare at sunsets".

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

a computing pun posted:

well, I'm not disputing that there could be a pattern of her fictional love interests resembling her real love interests (I haven't read any Maas so I can't say for certain) but I do have to point out that "man with short black hair" is almost as nonspecific a physical appearance as it is possible to have, and unless there's somehow more to it, I'm not too convinced?

"your honour, I draw your attention to the fact that the defendant has four limbs... the exact same number of limbs as the murderer!"

1) In the interest of science (and as a non-Maas expert) looking at the pictures on the character page of the wikis for her two big series, it’s a lot more uncommon in those books than irl.

2) yes I see your point, it is kind of a default option, but I think the idea is kind of endearing so I’m choosing to believe.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

branedotorg posted:

Not... really? Emperor John seems like a person who has been trying for a very long time to come to grips with a horrible mistake he made way back when all this started.

I can't imagine Musk ever accepting that he'd made something as prosaic as a mistake.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Shards of Earth (Final Architecture #1) by Adrian Tchaikovsky - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HLPZY6X/

Against All Gods (Age of Bronze #1) by Miles Cameron - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09K78SJV3/

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Everyone posted:

Not... really? Emperor John seems like a person who has been trying for a very long time to come to grips with a horrible mistake he made way back when all this started.

I can't imagine Musk ever accepting that he'd made something as prosaic as a mistake.

Do you think he really truly believes it was a mistake

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I like John. He's not a good person but he's a great character.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Evaporating every ocean on earth could not generate a tenth the salt Musk buying twitter has. Not only is he providing continuous chuckles, but also forcing people to look at just how pointless and sad engaging on Twitter discourse is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

sebmojo posted:

Do you think he really truly believes it was a mistake

I do. That said, I think John believes that his real mistake was not killing the gently caress out of the rich assholes before they launched. If he had, they'd have been dead and he wouldn't have had eight other Resurrection Beasts on his rear end.