Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Burns posted:

Finally got around to working on the HG Hi-Zack a friend got me like 2 yrs ago.

Mostly brush painted. The black is chaos black from a spray can initially intended as primer but i liked how it looked so left it.

https://imgur.com/gallery/E9EOgCs

The blue is brush painted? That looks great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Just Dan Again posted:

I'm very happy for Acguy (and sad for me for missing it) but the restock I've really been waiting for is the Gustav Karl. There's been a Gustav-shaped hole in my Hathaway's collection for far too long!

Don't know if you already got one elsewhere/in the time since this post, but GundamPlanet has the Gustav Karl in stock at the moment

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

boz posted:

The blue is brush painted? That looks great!

Thin your paints ! It helps hide brush strokes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:siren:Holy cow I'm shipping Backlogust!:siren:

Sorry about the delay. I finally got my act together and have these boxed up and will get them out this weekend - I live close to a regional depot that has generous hours all weekend. Non-US goons, the USPS website quoted me suspiciously reasonable rates so you won't owe anything if those hold true; if I get a higher price at the counter I'll come back and explore options with you. I will PM or email tracking numbers once I have them.

Thanks everyone for playing, and again my apologies for being slow to get these out to you. Remember this if you ever see me sign up for a secret santa.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Midjack posted:

Sorry about the delay. I finally got my act together and have these boxed up and will get them out this weekend - I live close to a regional depot that has generous hours all weekend. Non-US goons, the USPS website quoted me suspiciously reasonable rates so you won't owe anything if those hold true; if I get a higher price at the counter I'll come back and explore options with you. I will PM or email tracking numbers once I have them.

Thanks everyone for playing, and again my apologies for being slow to get these out to you. Remember this if you ever see me sign up for a secret santa.

As a former USPS clerk, I beg you to have your customs forms ready to go before you go in and to prepare them electronically if you can.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Star Man posted:

As a former USPS clerk, I beg you to have your customs forms ready to go before you go in and to prepare them electronically if you can.

Oh yeah I have a pile of those already and was going to do that. Thanks for the reminder though!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/hobbynotoriko2/status/1588754329070374912

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

"Hmm, I know it'll be a long shot, but I wonder if my local store has any Armored Core mo-"

bro wtf

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 5, 2022

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Just built the entry grade rx-78-2 - my only real point of comparison is games workshop kits, so colour me loving impressed by the sprues and clever design!

BisbyWorl posted:

"Hmm, I know it'll be a long shot, but I wonder if my local store has any Armored Core mo-"

bro wtf

Yeah, i spent a bit googling the white glint models the other day and noped out. The pharact and zowart in the new series are by one of the armored core designers and have some of the vibe so I'll try and pic those up - I actually prefer the grunt designs to the pharact tbh.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BisbyWorl posted:

bro wtf

Yeah those aren't model kits they're poseable and diecast models and start at 52800 yen or something

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

BisbyWorl posted:

bro wtf

Panda Hobby is always overpriced.
https://niigs.ca/ isn't local but is much more reasonable. Gotta keep on eye on them though, they don't get a lot of stock.

Skrillmub fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Nov 5, 2022

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Midjack posted:

If gunpla enthusiasts were known for getting projects done on time we wouldn't need Backlogust in the first place.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Just saw this on a gunpla site during checkout.

This is the best thing hahaha

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
No Gift Receipt, Thanks, These Toys Are For Me

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

field balm posted:

Just built the entry grade rx-78-2 - my only real point of comparison is games workshop kits, so colour me loving impressed by the sprues and clever design!

Yeah, we sometimes take it for granted but Gunpla is extremely well engineered compared to other related hobbies.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I actually just got into 40k with the magazine subscription. The amount of complaints I have had while assembling and painting these models has been immense. Just undergating their models would seriously improve the experience.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

40k basically assumes you're going to do the work anyway. Gunpla knows that there can be joy to building.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Argas posted:

Gunpla knows that there can be joy to building.

I just got my Delta Gundam HG in the mail and personally confirmed that it is not only actual gold (rather than the cheese yellow "gold"), but they undergated a lot of the gold pieces (which I was absolutely not expecting in a high grade)

My initial thought was "yeah they really did want someone to have fun building and posing this"

I hear the WH40K horror stories but I know Square-Enix has been doing miniatures of Front Mission wanzers and that poo poo is not only horridly expensive, but completely unpainted in a "gently caress you, you put in the work" sense

I haven't been into Gunpla that long but at least Bandai/Kotobukiya/Moderoid tries to meet you half-way in the building experience itself

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

No Gift Receipt, Thanks, These Toys Are For Me

:hmmyes:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

JuffoWup posted:

I actually just got into 40k with the magazine subscription. The amount of complaints I have had while assembling and painting these models has been immense. Just undergating their models would seriously improve the experience.

GW could do better, but the sheer detail in the model limits them a lot. Gunpla pieces are pretty simple geometric shapes. GW models are way more complex, at a much smaller scale. They have to be positioned a certain way on the sprue to be able to mold the clean details. Another factor is that seam lines are a much bigger problem on GW kits than on Gunpla kits, because seam lines on more complex shapes are harder to eliminate, and are much more noticeable on such small detailed kits. They clearly do make some attempt, where possible, at putting gates on places that won't be seen when the model is assembled. But that isn't their highest priority

For people unfamiliar with Games Workshop's Warhammer models, take a look at this guy. And keep in mid that he would not come up to the waist of a HG Gundam

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
"Reach exceeds grasp" comes to mind then

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

"Reach exceeds grasp" comes to mind then

Else what's a heaven for?

That said, Bandai has some pretty detailed parts when they want to. It's just the clean industrial look is a smoother match for the anime most of the time, while GW benefits from lots of gribbly detail.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Backlogust packages are sent! I will pm and email tracking numbers once I get back home.

Thank you everyone for participating and I'm sorry I couldn't match your enthusiasm as quickly as I'd hoped to this year.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Midjack posted:

Backlogust packages are sent! I will pm and email tracking numbers once I get back home.

Thank you everyone for participating and I'm sorry I couldn't match your enthusiasm as quickly as I'd hoped to this year.

Thanks again for sponsoring prizes this year!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Midjack posted:

I'm sorry I couldn't match your enthusiasm as quickly as I'd hoped to this year.

I didn’t participate but I loved seeing the results and you’re a super cool person for making it happen

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Midjack posted:

Thank you for offering prizes and organizing everything!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Grassy gnoll ran it, I'm just bankrolling the prizes this year. :unsmith:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Thank you for covering that, was fun to share builds.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I bought a metallic silver Gundam marker. Any tips for using it?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dr Christmas posted:

I bought a metallic silver Gundam marker. Any tips for using it?

Yeah, it's under the cap.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Don't know if you already got one elsewhere/in the time since this post, but GundamPlanet has the Gustav Karl in stock at the moment

I was out camping when you posted this and they don't look to be in stock any longer :doh: My quest continues!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Midjack posted:

Grassy gnoll ran it, I'm just bankrolling the prizes this year. :unsmith:

Nah, you made the magic this year. Thanks again!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Gripweed posted:

GW could do better, but the sheer detail in the model limits them a lot. Gunpla pieces are pretty simple geometric shapes. GW models are way more complex, at a much smaller scale. They have to be positioned a certain way on the sprue to be able to mold the clean details. Another factor is that seam lines are a much bigger problem on GW kits than on Gunpla kits, because seam lines on more complex shapes are harder to eliminate, and are much more noticeable on such small detailed kits. They clearly do make some attempt, where possible, at putting gates on places that won't be seen when the model is assembled. But that isn't their highest priority

For people unfamiliar with Games Workshop's Warhammer models, take a look at this guy. And keep in mid that he would not come up to the waist of a HG Gundam

Gunpla is designed by engineers and Warhams are designed by artists.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I dunno, I think we're just seeing two solutions to the same problem: how do we protect our IP from knock off makers in China. Add more engineering or add more detail.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

It is important to note that Bandai applies for patents on every new molding technology they invent which is at least part of the reason why other kit makers can't match them in engineering.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I made gunpla number 2 today, some cheap sd kit the toyshop I was picking some glue up at had. Applying stickers sucked real hard, do higher grade kits use stickers too and they just skip it on the entry grade one?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Maybe I'm being unduly cynical but I feel like GW innovation budget is mostly being spent in other areas: paints and warhammer plus. I haven't seen a lot of innovation in production since they changed their materials.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

field balm posted:

I made gunpla number 2 today, some cheap sd kit the toyshop I was picking some glue up at had. Applying stickers sucked real hard, do higher grade kits use stickers too and they just skip it on the entry grade one?

It's very dependent on the individual kit. Most newer HG kits don't use stickers that much for details anymore though.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

field balm posted:

Depends on the kit. High Grade uses them to do the eyes and sometimes correct colour where they didn't bother making a separate part or something. Master Grade is often only going to use stickers for things like decals or markings, maybe the eyes too sometimes as an option (like there will be clear plastic for the eyes, and shiny stickers to put over them, if you want).
Real Grade has tons of stickers, but they're all decals and silver highlights and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

field balm posted:

Did you try using a toothpick to apply them/flatten them out with the butt end? Makes a world of difference in my limited experience although the pain will obviously vary depending on the kit.