Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Can't believe I forgot Foo Fighters. Yellow Temperance obviously has some blob elements, especially once the fight proper starts, but the fact that it features multiple examples of Rubber Soul impersonating someone else and the way fake Kakyoin's body breaks down makes me think The Thing was as big of an inspiration, if not more.

Yinlock posted:

Most Jojo fights are inpsired by whatever Araki read/watched that month, see Iggy vs Pet Shop suddenly cutting away to give us some fascinating bird facts

Yeah, I was just thinking that The Thing might be responsible for more Jojo fights than anything else. Are there any other movies that might be contenders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
So much of Araki's work is mimicry of other works he has seen but putting his own spin on things. It's kind of amazing how well his work stands on its own and how much its influence has rippled through and changed so much other media around it while itself being so singularly focused around being a composite of multiple existing things mashed together to create a new thing. Arrows.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

So much of Araki's work is mimicry of other works he has seen but putting his own spin on things. It's kind of amazing how well his work stands on its own and how much its influence has rippled through and changed so much other media around it while itself being so singularly focused around being a composite of multiple existing things mashed together to create a new thing. Arrows.

Araki thinks through any random idea he has way too far which leads to the craziest/coolest poo poo

like sure this guy can swim through the ground, but he also stuffs his mouth full of liquid concrete and spits it at people as a makeshift stone spear

who the gently caress thinks of that

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Also maybe zippers can be used to move underground. And what if hard concrete arrows raining through liqud concrete? Also how does sound propagate in liquid concrete? Cut to: dramatic high stakes battle 7 feet below a pedestrian crossing in rome. Oh and also the other guy is a zombie.

Man somehow all these things seem so normal when watching, then looking back two weeks later you’re just like what the f u c k was that

Bisse fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 6, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Bisse posted:

Also maybe zippers can be used to move underground. And what if hard concrete arrows raining through liqud concrete? Also how does sound propagate in liquid concrete? Cut to: dramatic high stakes battle 7 feet below a pedestrian crossing in rome. Oh and also the other guy is a zombie.

Man somehow all these things seem so normal when watching, then looking back two weeks later you’re just like what the f u c k was that

a vital part of the jojo experience is to read/watch through without an iota of doubt and then at some point later on, usually when trying to explain it to someone, realize it was loving insane

I mean it helps the world-building, these guys have had these abilities for a while of course they'd figure out a ton of uses for them, but that makes it no less crazy when a serial killer torso stabs himself in half and crawls to the back of a helicopter like a weird gremlin zombie

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 6, 2022

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
To me, the single craziest thing in all of JJBA is Donatello Versus' backstory being ripped directly from Holes.
Can't wait for the anime to get there

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Bisse posted:

I wonder what Hitler's stand was?

Death In June

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Baron La Croix posted:

To me, the single craziest thing in all of JJBA is Donatello Versus' backstory being ripped directly from Holes.

Holy poo poo the chapter came out a year before the movie

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Do you think Araki read the book, or did he just hear about it somewhere? Or is it just one of the wildest coincidences ever?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Baron La Croix posted:

Holes, but the main character is X-Ray.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

chrome line posted:

Do you think Araki read the book, or did he just hear about it somewhere? Or is it just one of the wildest coincidences ever?

It's such a specific setup that the only logical conclusion is that Araki read the book.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

chrome line posted:

He definitely read the book. I believe it with all my heart.

Maybe it inspired him to set SBR in America too :v:

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
https://twitter.com/bluedelliquanti/status/1095535532824645633?lang=en
Maybe he only visited America to see where they were filming Holes and was inspired to make Steel Ball Run by the trip :v:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Araki should have read up on prairie madness, where European settlers were overwhelmed by the infinite flat unchangingness of the great plains, leading to depression and violence. Driving through it is bad enough, imagine living by yourself or with just your immediate family with the nearest neighbor acres or even miles away, and just the plains and endless sky for company. Araki probably could have done something real cool with that

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Araki definitely drove through Ohio.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Araki's first thought in any new location: how could I escape a powerful enemy here

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I noticed that too lol

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I only ever read the first 3 Alex Rider books but Araki did the cover art for the Japanese versions of them. I'm left wondering if he read them at all or if he adapted anything from those at all. They were all about a teen MI6 agent who was basically handling James Bond style plots, except being a teen sooo

It's funny imagining Alex Rider looking the way Araki draws him though because this is supposed to be an incognito spy for MI6 and he's going around looking like this.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Those rule, put Alex Rider in JOJOLAND

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Electric Phantasm posted:

Those rule, put Alex Rider in JOJOMAMA

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

which one is alex rider

i find him entirely non descript, as a spy should be

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

if those are chronological I like how the first design is mostly classic spy with some Araki thrown in, then the rest are just 100% Araki

He decided to double-down on the most garish part of the costume and was absolutely correct in doing so

e: also the covers definitely do their jobs, all I can assume judging solely from them is that Alex Rider loving rules.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Yinlock posted:

if those are chronological

They are not

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I read all the Alex rider books when I was a teenager but don’t remember enough about them to know if the guy with the planet earth on his face is an actual character or is just a symbolic visual

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That's The World

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It's Alex's Rider's Stand, [Mr. Worldwide].

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There was indeed an eco-terrorist in Ark Angel with a map of the world tattooed on his head.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Maybe I should read Alex Rider...

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh cool. The jojo wiki says only the first 6 books were released in Japan with Araki doing the covers but it turns out he also did some illustrations in the books too. Unfortunately the scans for the later books are blurry :( These are all from 2002 to 2007, tho I don't know if they scanned every illustration.

Stormbreaker

Point Blanc

Skeleton Key
(iirc this is Wimbledon)

Eagle Strike

Scorpia

Ark Angel

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

You can see the transition from late Stone Ocean-early Steel Ball Run art to the modern style and the development a lot of Araki's current design quirks in real time, wow.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Does Alex have a Union Jack shaved on the back of head?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I remember reading Stormbreaker and loving lmao at this

that book’s plot was loving insane btw

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

goblin week posted:

I remember reading Stormbreaker and loving lmao at this

that book’s plot was loving insane btw

Oh yeah?

wikipedia posted:

The protagonist, Alex Rider, secretly becomes a teenage spy for MI6, working undercover in Port Tallen, Cornwall. There he discovers the Stormbreaker computer factory where millions of computers were being filled with biological weapons which would give smallpox to the user. The aim of the attack was to kill hundreds of thousands of British schoolchildren and their teachers.

Forget JoJo, manga adaptation of Alex Rider by Araki when?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
One of his gadgets in stormbreaker was a gameboy with some fake trick cartridges that had secret functions.

I don't remember the harry potter book gadget though, from the art it looks like maybe a camera or something.

I've only read the first 3 books. I would legit watch an anime adaptation of the Alex Rider stuff in Araki's style.

Also funny comparing the Araki art covers to the covers of other releases or the movie adaptation of stormbreaker.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Oh yeah?

Forget JoJo, manga adaptation of Alex Rider by Araki when?

The movie article has a more comprehensive summary.

quote:

Alex Rider is a 14-year-old schoolboy who lives with his uncle Ian and their housekeeper Jack Starbright. Ian is supposedly a bank manager and is, much to Alex's regret, often away from home. One day, Alex is told that his uncle has died in a car crash, but quickly discovers that his uncle was actually a spy working for MI6 and was murdered.

He is then recruited by his uncle's former employers, Alan Blunt and Mrs. Jones of the Special Operations Division of MI6, who explains to Alex that his uncle has been training him as a spy. Alex initially refuses to cooperate but agrees when they threaten to block renewal of Jack's visa and have her deported. Alex is then sent to a military training camp in the Brecon Beacons, the home of the British Special Air Service. At first, his fellow trainees look down on him because of his age, but he soon gains their respect with skills learned from his unwitting training.

He sets off on his first mission, aided by gadgets from Smithers. Billionaire Darrius Sayle is donating free high-powered computer systems code named Stormbreaker to every school in the United Kingdom. MI6 is suspicious of his seemingly generous plans and sends Alex undercover as a competition winner to investigate. There, he meets Sayle himself and his two accomplices, Mr. Grin and Nadia Vole, and is shown the Stormbreaker computer in action. Later, while Alex is having dinner with Sayle, the suspicious Vole steals Alex's phone and tracks the SIM card to his house in Chelsea. She goes there and finds Alex's true identity; while there, she is disturbed by and consequently fights Jack. Despite being outclassed, Jack wins with the help of a blowfish, leaving Nadia to flee the scene. That night, Alex sneaks out of his bedroom window to observe a midnight delivery of mysterious containers to Sayle's lair.

The next day, Alex finds himself in trouble when his cover is blown. After attempting to escape from the facility, he is captured, and Sayle explains his true reasons behind Stormbreaker – each system contains a modified strain of the smallpox virus which, upon activation in the Stormbreaker release, will kill all of the country's schoolchildren. Sayle leaves Alex tied up and departs for the London Science Museum. Nadia drops Alex into a water tank to be killed by a giant Portuguese man o' war, but he escapes using the metal-disintegrating spot cream supplied by Smithers, Nadia is subdued when she is hit by the jellyfish, rupturing the tank in the process. Alex then hitches a ride on a Mil Mi-8 helicopter piloted by Mr. Grin, using a sodium pentothal arrow to gain Mr. Grin's obedience. Alex parachutes out of the helicopter and lands just as the Prime Minister is about to press the button which will activate the computers. Alex uses a rifle to shoot the podium, which destroys the button, and ruins Sayle's plan.

Furious, Sayle leaves to carry out his backup plan, and Alex, with the help of school friend Sabina Pleasure, pursues Sayle through the streets of London on horseback. Fifty floors up on one of Sayle's skyscrapers, Alex reaches him and unplugs his backup transmitter. Sayle chases him out onto the roof and pushes both Alex & Sabina off the roof, leaving them hanging by a dislodged cable. Unexpectedly, Yassen arrives in a helicopter and shoots Sayle (in the same manner he did Ian) before rescuing Alex. Yassen then tells Alex that Sayle had become an embarrassment to his employers, and that Alex should forget about him, but Alex refuses saying that the killing of his uncle Ian means they are still enemies.

Alex returns to school; he and Sabina are talking about what happened and he says that it will never happen again. The film ends with someone observing Alex from a distance. He notices it and realizes that it's not the end.

Notably missing are the various gadgets disguised as gameboy games, the quadbike fight, and the fact that David Sayle was actually the adopted name of the guy because actually he was bullied in school for being a muslim immigrant and now that he’s a billionaire he hs invented a New Type Of Computer that will kill all kids but also the prime minister who was the chief bully

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Augus posted:

I read all the Alex rider books when I was a teenager but don’t remember enough about them to know if the guy with the planet earth on his face is an actual character or is just a symbolic visual

my eyes were immediately drawn to that guy too, what a jojo-rear end character

Does Alex have a Union Jack shaved on the back of head?

it's like araki had been waiting his entire life to incorporate the union jack into a character design

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 7, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

one thing I do remember is that the cold open of the second book had a hitman assassinate some corporate suit by posing as an elevator mechanic in his building, getting into the system, and moving the elevator one floor up from the guy’s office, then attaching a high-tech hologram to the bottom of the elevator that generated a fake elevator below the real elevator. Then when the guy called the elevator, the assassin made the doors open and the guy stepped out into the fake elevator, passed through it, and fell all the way down the elevator shaft.

what I’m saying is I can see why Araki was considered a good fit

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Augus posted:

one thing I do remember is that the cold open of the second book had a hitman assassinate some corporate suit by posing as an elevator mechanic in his building, getting into the system, and moving the elevator one floor up from the guy’s office, then attaching a high-tech hologram to the bottom of the elevator that generated a fake elevator below the real elevator. Then when the guy called the elevator, the assassin made the doors open and the guy stepped out into the fake elevator, passed through it, and fell all the way down the elevator shaft.

Ah so this is where Paper Moon King originated from.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I know literally nothing about Alex Rider aside from what's been posted here and I am a million percent on board with this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Augus posted:

And the assassin pointed out that nobody ever thinks to just look up, that all this guy had to do to not die was look up and notice the projector.

The fight near the end of Skeleton Key was good too, where Alex is fighting this big tough guy augmented with all kinds of metal parts that effectively make him a sort of Frankenstein's Monster kinda thing, and Alex is losing but manages to get an electromagnetic crane to hang over the dude which completely lifts him up by all the metal, crumpling him into a seizing pile of flesh and metal