Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Gosh, 24 openings. I don't think any other show has that many openings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Detective Conan is on its 56th.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Did they give up on the premise, or are we on year 100 of an adult trying to get out of the child body he's cursed into?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Look into your heart and tell me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it honestly blows my mind that OP isn't even remotely close to being the longest running anime

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

This is the only One Piece opening anyone should care about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olpsSRoOy1M

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Impressive that they could come up with nearly 1000 different Murder scenarios for Conan to solve. How many of those episodes are locked room mysteries?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

MonsterEnvy posted:

On One Piece Red. Tot Musica is a great song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJATdtg2rZQ

I really like all the songs, I'm looking forward to re-listening to them all if/when the album gets put on Spotify or youtube.

Scholtz posted:

Thank you for participating in our outlandish culture

(But really you should definitely check out the 4Kids One Piece rap OP)

But this, THIS is art. I'm not even sure if I need to keep reading, this pretty much gave me the whole story in under a minute!

I guess I will anyway though....

Chapter 6

Luffy, you have three swords right now, why are you trying to untie knots? Cut them you fool!

Zoro can talk impressively well while holding a sword in his mouth.

"I'm a....RUBBER MAN!" You stupid piece of poo poo, you're wonderful never change.

There's suddenly a lot more "guns pointed at heads" than I excepted, fortunately gun violence was prevented thanks to sword and punch violence.

Chapter 7
How many of these opening chapter pages are just Luffy harassing some poor animal?

Man, I wish changing unfair working conditions was as easy as beating the crap out of your boss in the real world....

Koby you absolutely deserve to eat with the heroes, don't sell yourself short. Also, didn't you get shot like two chapters ago? I guess bullet wounds are something you just walk off in this world.

Awwww, the bonds of friendship expressed through mutual acts of violence~ That was a sweet ending, but from what we've seen I still strongly suspect the Navy in this world is massively corrupt.

Chapter 8
So neither of these guys thought to bring a map? Also, maybe a musician can wait, but a cook (or at least someone who's job is "make sure there's food") seems like a pretty immediate need.

"Buggy the Clown?"

Ha! They got scammed. Was it really necessary to bring up that the lady who robbed you was hot? Geez, male con artists don't have to deal with this kind of objectification.

This girl is clearly smart, but these guys are also clearly very dumb if they think "guy who told someone to steal a thing" is worth more than "getting back the thing that was stolen".

Chapter 9

Okay, but if you run around calling yourself "Buggy the Clown" it's a little unfair to also be super sensitive about people pointing out that your nose looks like a clowns. You're the one who brought it up! But whatever, go off and force choke your minion.

"But I love money and tangerines!" thanks for sharing? So she's like a semi-Robin hood who steals from bad people and gives to herself, seems fair enough.

I can't believe Luffy the pirate was betrayed by the girl who has repeatedly said she hates pirates and has a history of betraying people!

Chapter 10

Buggy and his crew are remarkably quick to trust Nami The Betrayer.

Nami might love betrayal (and tangerines) but she draws the line at property damage and murder. Oh, and apparently she has backstory related reasons for hating pirates.

Oh. Buggy was really easy to kill. Zoro just straight up cut a man in half. drat.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

Detective Conan is on its 56th.

Yes but the One Piece openings are actually good.

Gyges posted:

Did they give up on the premise, or are we on year 100 of an adult trying to get out of the child body he's cursed into?

To be fair the there's like a 50 to 1 ratio of filler crimes of the week to plot related chapters so not all that much has actually happened over all that content.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Naruto, counting Shippuden and Boruto, is currently at 40 OPs.

hatty posted:

Impressive that they could come up with nearly 1000 different Murder scenarios for Conan to solve. How many of those episodes are locked room mysteries?

I hear there's several episodes where they just chop up a Columbo episode into 22 minutes and call it a day.

Chapter speculation:
the fact that they hide the P in supposedly PUNK RECORDS is super sus. We see the edges of the bottom right side, so it has to be eitehr a capital P or F for FUNK RECORDS. Working off of FUNK RECORDS, that looks like a label and the tileset it's on would evoke a dancefloor, so a good logo for that ancient civilization. Then, if that's the biggest landmark... it may be because Egghead Island is the remains of an entertainment district of that advanced kingdom. That's why Vegapunk possibly has so much super robot stuff going on, he's basing it off the scraps leftover of what is mostly entertainment, hence the resort look to York's panels, the electric stairs, super vending machines, robot stuff.
Then Karakuri may be a similar kind of deal but much less survived... possibly being like the place the destruction of the kingdom really started at, leading to it always being bitter cold, like it got nuclear wintered
Not saying Vegapunk is a sham or anything, he's probably super brilliant to an extent, but probably got a big push from whatever old tech he could find. His very first project was the heating system for his home island, something that's also very practical and common in our technology..

Lpzie 2
Nov 1, 2022

When you elect nuts, you get squirrels!

Waffleman_ posted:

Birdcage 2

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

"Buggy the Clown?"

:sickos:

Loving these reactions, long may they continue :)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I really like all the songs, I'm looking forward to re-listening to them all if/when the album gets put on Spotify or youtube.

Hasn't the album been out on Spotify for ages already?

It's been available on Apple Music for months now, so I figured Spotify had it too.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

MorningMoon posted:

FUNK RECORDS.

So .. it was you all along.

FUNK .... FREED

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nikumatic posted:

So .. it was you all along.

FUNK .... FREED

FUNK... NIKA, THE GOD OF LIBERATION...

FUNKFREED...

FUNK... FREED?????

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Hasn't the album been out on Spotify for ages already?

It's been available on Apple Music for months now, so I figured Spotify had it too.

You're right! It is! I probably should have checked before posting...Oh well, now I got some great driving around music.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

OMOLY NOOOO YOU'LL FALL ASLEEP DON'T DO IT

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

You're right! It is! I probably should have checked before posting...Oh well, now I got some great driving around music.

Enjoy! The album also has a song that's not available on the YouTube channel (or the movie)!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/OPcom_info/status/1587278996487962624?s=20&t=CkiL1BT1fUz_7lDLJBt16Q

Ha, Yamato included in the bromides with all the hot dudes. They know what's up.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
More surprised by Corazon than anything.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

More surprised by Corazon than anything.

Didn't he crack the top 10 in the poll Sabo beat Ace?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/OPcom_info/status/1587278996487962624?s=20&t=CkiL1BT1fUz_7lDLJBt16Q

Ha, Yamato included in the bromides with all the hot dudes. They know what's up.

dogtooth holding it down for the big boys

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Delphisage posted:

Didn't he crack the top 10 in the poll Sabo beat Ace?

Did he? Props to him, then!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Funk Records?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Scholtz posted:

OMOLY NOOOO YOU'LL FALL ASLEEP DON'T DO IT

Don't worry, I'll just eat some wakeshrooms to balance it all out. Because eating mushrooms that make you stay awake and also become aggressive and mentally unstable is the perfect snack to have while operating a car or other piece of heavy machinery!

Chapter 11
Oh poo poo, buggy is not dead. Alright in retrospect I should have known they weren't going to kill him before revealing what his power was.

"I'm a chop-chop man!" Is 'I'm a (insert fruit I ate here) man!' a reoccurring bit?

"THen I'll squish em' back in! Zoro just full on does not care about punishing his body.

Chapter 12

This dog is Luffy's greatest opponent yet. Ahahahaha, I love this hosed up little key eating dog and his incredibly long face.

Boodle and Chouchou? Those are some truly terrific names. Awww, this long face dogs backstory made me choke up a little, I'm a sucker for "animal misses human who has passed away" stories.

I mean, yeah, it IS weird to have hair that looks exactly like lion ears. Did he decide to become a lion tamer because of or in spite of his hair naturally looking that way....?

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

MonsterEnvy posted:

That was the only the stood out to me.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

WAIT WAIT WAIT

Film: Red Tot Musica doesn't seem to be written in a known language. It's some kind of ancient script but Uta can still sing it. So, she can sing languages she doesn't know, maybe there's some way (awakening?) that she can not just sing, but also translate languages?

Uta is going to sing the poneglyphs for the Red Hair Pirates!!!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The staircase thing is almost certainly that it's a tragedy with nothing Zoro can do about it. He can't fight the people who harmed Kuina, he can only accept his rival died tragically and he will never beat her. The tragedy is in the simplicity meaning there's no way around it for Zoro besides keeping Kuina's dream alive through her sword.

As for Film: RED discussion Tot Musica is at least written in Elder Futhark Runes. A real world ancient form of nordic writing/language. Specifically, it's the one used for rituals/offerings to the gods. The translation of those runes is basically a lot of repetition of words for god, freedom, heavy rain/hail, Tyr and New Beginnings. Combined with the translation for the Japanese lyrics (freedom, fight on, final destructive song of rebellion). I'm almost certain Tot Musica is a relic of the Void Century war, either of the Ancient Kingdom that was destroyed (hence the tomb of the song/sheet music has their art style paintings) or their victims (since it's highly possible they weren't good people). The song is a call for a godly saviour to smite foes, at the price of the souls of those singing in unison.

There's honestly something really fantastic about the moment the subtitles are in Elder Futhark Nordic Runes as Tot Musica begins and the entire thing turns into a JRPG final boss. It really paints the medium to say this is something monstrous and wrong and broken/dangerous/different.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 7, 2022

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Don't worry, I'll just eat some wakeshrooms to balance it all out. Because eating mushrooms that make you stay awake and also become aggressive and mentally unstable is the perfect snack to have while operating a car or other piece of heavy machinery!

Chapter 11
Oh poo poo, buggy is not dead. Alright in retrospect I should have known they weren't going to kill him before revealing what his power was.

"I'm a chop-chop man!" Is 'I'm a (insert fruit I ate here) man!' a reoccurring bit?

"THen I'll squish em' back in! Zoro just full on does not care about punishing his body.

Chapter 12

This dog is Luffy's greatest opponent yet. Ahahahaha, I love this hosed up little key eating dog and his incredibly long face.

Boodle and Chouchou? Those are some truly terrific names. Awww, this long face dogs backstory made me choke up a little, I'm a sucker for "animal misses human who has passed away" stories.

I mean, yeah, it IS weird to have hair that looks exactly like lion ears. Did he decide to become a lion tamer because of or in spite of his hair naturally looking that way....?

Oda will just out of nowhere unleash an utterly tragic backstory on you, minor character, antagonist, anyone, you will FEEL their pain, and it is one reason why one piece is so good.
Yes, I am an X FRUIT HERE -man is a major reoccuring bit.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

THE HUNK RECORDS IS REAL

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

Reminded me a lot of Pleather for Breakfast from No More Heroes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aPSLqJ341g

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I firmly believe the magic formula of absurd character design and excellent character writing is the One Piece special sauce. He'll show you the dumbest looking fucker you'd ever seen and six chapter later you're crying because they're crying.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I cry because the Yeti Cool Brothers don't appear anymore.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

YggiDee posted:

I firmly believe the magic formula of absurd character design and excellent character writing is the One Piece special sauce. He'll show you the dumbest looking fucker you'd ever seen and six chapter later you're crying because they're crying.

I still think Senor Pink is the highest achievement in this.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Senor Pink's backstory is so over the top it goes from tragic to very silly.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

LET'S BABY

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
senor pink backstory feels straight up ripped from a jdrama or something

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

socialsecurity posted:

I've never seen that episode 1000 redo of We Are, that was fantastic.
yeah that was super good. And only used for one episode? Dang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chapter 11

Chapter 12

I am just quoting to say that I hope you are not reading any posts or looking at any images that aren't directly replying to you, because there's shitloads of spoilers surrounding all your posts on either sides.

And keep it up, love these sorts of reactions(and the resulting despair when they catch up and can't marathon anymore) :allears: