Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Mister Facetious posted:

:what:

That is some dry county-rear end poo poo right there.

Oh you can get booze till 3am, and a few places even sell to go cases at that hour. Anheuser Busch made sure of that. No idea why there's no food at night to go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I got a cookie press and it turns out pressin' makes me feel good

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I've been given entirely too much leeway to do silly bullshit sides and not worry about any mains this thanksgiving and everyone is going to regret not giving clearer direction. Its going to be awesome.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
i dont want to brag but last night was mexican night so i made wholegrain burritos stuffed w pumpkin chili, crispy roast cauliflower, and mango pico de gallo, and i am up at 1:38 am still fuckin thinking about them

mystes
May 31, 2006

If I'm up at 1:38 am thinking about the food I had the night before that's not usually a good thing.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Usually I'm up at 1:38 am thinking about what I'm going to eat next.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

w4ddl3d33 posted:

i dont want to brag but last night was mexican night so i made wholegrain burritos stuffed w pumpkin chili, crispy roast cauliflower, and mango pico de gallo, and i am up at 1:38 am still fuckin thinking about them

Which contestant on GBBO are you? Are you still on the show? Would be awesome to have a goon win.

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
Pumpkin chili recipe plz

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

bradburypancakes posted:

Pumpkin chili recipe plz

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Stir-fried pumpkin is a good ramen topping

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

bradburypancakes posted:

Pumpkin chili recipe plz

I think you'd want to go full beef chuck, no ground and flavor it a bit more like a mole negro than a standard chili. More dark bitter flavors like cocoa and coffee, maybe some cinnamon/allspice/chipotle in adobo for that warm fall happiness. Brown the pumpkin chunks during the browning beef step and add them back in for the last 15-20 min of cooking.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Better yet just make whatever kind of chili you like and add a can or two of pumpkin at the simmer stage.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

pureed pumpkin? Just yeet it in there?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

oh you better believe it

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I'm not coming to your house for chili

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I'll live

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I've been given entirely too much leeway to do silly bullshit sides and not worry about any mains this thanksgiving and everyone is going to regret not giving clearer direction. Its going to be awesome.

Sides are the best part of t-day anyways so gently caress yeah, have some fun with it.

I always make cranberry sauce but I bring some cans because some people just want *that* and I can respect that. I have been toying with the idea of making my homemade stuff so that it could ostensibly pass as the canned stuff (at least visually) and could be packaged/sliced as such. I have no idea how to get there so it’s very much a pipe dream but it could be a fun wrinkle on the usual giant container of cranberry slop I bring.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Couldn't you just do more pectin/gelatin and set it to cool in a pre-emptied can?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

bradburypancakes posted:

Pumpkin chili recipe plz

First, make prep your chillies.

Red chilli paste:

From left to right;
Chipotle
Chipotle morita
Guajillo
Habanero

Rehydrate in a bit of water, blend, push through a sieve and set aside for later.

Meats:

From left to right;
800g pork ribs
400g lamb neck fillet
500g beef shin

Brown these on the barbecue and set them aside for the main event.

Three meat, three bean, three day pumpkin chili:

Meat
1 tin of kidney beans
1 tin of pinto beans
1 tin of black eyed beans
3 tins of tomatoes
2 red peppers, diced
1 pumpkin
Cumin
Smoked paprika
Red chili paste
A bulb of garlic, minced
3 onions, diced
Beef dripping
Red wine
Chicken stock
Molasses

Fry the onions, garlic and peppers in a large pan in the beef dripping and transfer to the slow cooker. Add all the other ingredients, except the pumpkin and beans and cook on low with the lid on until it looks like a rich liquidy stew. Throw the pumpkin in the compost bin because it has no place in chili. Allow to cool to room remperature, then put in the fridge.

After overnighting in the fridge, you can cook a bit more, with the lid off to reduce, until it’s just about thick enough to hold a spoon up on its own.

Add the beans.

Allow to cool and refrigerate overnight.

Serve the chili with cornbread on the side, grated cheese, chopped coriander and chopped red chillies over the top.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

rude but lol

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Quite A Tool posted:

Sides are the best part of t-day anyways so gently caress yeah, have some fun with it.

I'm shooting for delicious but also not at all what anyone had in mind. One of the things is going to be a dark chocolate bark with sea salt, bacon, and whatever fruits and nuts I end up deciding work with that. This is my super "only I will know it's revenge" for last year when FiL told me to make stuffing but apparently forgot and had me set mine aside so they could serve the stovetop mix. I assume it was drinking related and not malicious for reasons mostly related to his drinking.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

dressing is the best part of thanksgiving and wise cooks make triple batches for the 2am wretches craving more calories

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Anne Whateley posted:

Couldn't you just do more pectin/gelatin and set it to cool in a pre-emptied can?

This was my first thought, I just haven’t tested it at all. I’d probably have to blend the bojangles out of it for a slightly smoother texture too. Might play around with it this weekend, ingredients aren’t too expensive.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I'm shooting for delicious but also not at all what anyone had in mind. One of the things is going to be a dark chocolate bark with sea salt, bacon, and whatever fruits and nuts I end up deciding work with that. This is my super "only I will know it's revenge" for last year when FiL told me to make stuffing but apparently forgot and had me set mine aside so they could serve the stovetop mix. I assume it was drinking related and not malicious for reasons mostly related to his drinking.

That sounds pretty dope and definitely a bit out of left field for t-day.

And your stuffing story breaks my heart because while I will annihilate some stovetop stuff, I always really enjoy the variations on the box/can staples from my childhood. The first time I did green bean casserole without cream of mushroom soup it opened my eyes. Still sprinkled some French’s fried onions overtop though.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 7, 2022

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

bradburypancakes posted:

Pumpkin chili recipe plz

i could probably write out a proper recipe, but i didn't use one - i had a quarter of a pumpkin left over from a jack-o-lantern and i just diced that up and threw it in after i had sauteed all my aromatics, but before i'd added my legumes. to cover up the excessive sweetness of the pumpkin, and to make up for a lack of meaty taste because i was using beans/lentils, i added a generous tablespoon of yeast extract, and to ensure that the colour was sufficiently chili enough i added a pinch of cocoa powder. it was very good. i just had some in a breakfast burrito

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m reminded of the time I discovered Jack o lantern pumpkins are bland and different from pie pumpkins even if they look the same

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Regarding chili talk, swap cornbread for cinnamon rolls. Not only do you gain resistance to frigid wind pouring off the Rockies, it is delicious.

Do not allow your ignorant mind to reject this idea.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Regarding chili talk, swap cornbread for cinnamon rolls. Not only do you gain resistance to frigid wind pouring off the Rockies, it is delicious.

Do not allow your ignorant mind to reject this idea.

this really hurt my brain the first time I saw a Runza and thought I would try a local fast food chain out

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

this really hurt my brain the first time I saw a Runza and thought I would try a local fast food chain out

Ah, the homeland. I never had that when I had access to Runza. But it was definitely a school lunch option and common among the rural population. It works best with a spicy, less sweet chili and denser rolls with lots of spice. Best consumed after a long day outside trying to stay warm.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

cornbread is really good though

last week I made too much cornbread, so I made chili for dinner to eat with it

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I have enjoyed cooking thanksgiving dinner a lot more since I've discovered spatchcocking.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Makin garlic noodles today and searing a top sirloin

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Cornbread is delicious.

No love for Bassmati? I was quite proud of that 🥺

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Steve Yun posted:

I’m reminded of the time I discovered Jack o lantern pumpkins are bland and different from pie pumpkins even if they look the same

it's rich in whatever vitamins pumpkin is rich in and adds a nice creaminess to my breakfast burritos so i'm not mad

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I had udon with bonito flakes, a soft egg, and grilled pumpkin for supper.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Leftover quesabirria. I feel that I've gotten pretty good at that.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Leftover quesabirria. I feel that I've gotten pretty good at that.

Recipe? I'd love to have some but it's pricey and a pain in the rear end to find near me.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

therattle posted:

Cornbread is delicious.

No love for Bassmati? I was quite proud of that 🥺

I’m sure you were. Much love for you though. Xoxo

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

I’m sure you were. Much love for you though. Xoxo

Ouch! Probably deserved.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Recipe? I'd love to have some but it's pricey and a pain in the rear end to find near me.

Easier than you think! I'm using an instant pot, but if you want to go stovetop just adjust your times. Anyway, brown a good chunk of cheap beef - I'm usually using top round with a nice fat cap on it. Toss in a few chopped onions (like, 3-2 meat to onion ratio), a handful of crushed garlic cloves, a tablespoon or so each crushed cumin and coriander, a few dashes of white pepper, a few bay leaves, and rehydrated chiles that you've snipped the stems off of. For the chiles I'm using 6-7 pasillas and 2-3 californias. Add in the water that you soaked the chiles in, some bullion powder and enough water to come half way up the meat (you can use stock, of course). Cook under pressure for an hour, then natural release. Ladle out enough a couple of cups of the resulting liquid and reserve. Remove the meat and chop/shred it up and then throw back in the pot to simmer. Reduce the reserved liquid until you have a cup or so, then serve on the side of the tacos. For the tacos themselves, simply put some tortillas down on your comal after greasing the down side, sprinkle some cheese on the top side, and add some of the taco meat. Let it melt and fold it over. Depending on your tortillas, you may need to put the cheesy tortilla inside another for structural purposes. Dip the taco in the consomé you just made and chow down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Easier than you think! I'm using an instant pot, but if you want to go stovetop just adjust your times. Anyway, brown a good chunk of cheap beef - I'm usually using top round with a nice fat cap on it. Toss in a few chopped onions (like, 3-2 meat to onion ratio), a handful of crushed garlic cloves, a tablespoon or so each crushed cumin and coriander, a few dashes of white pepper, a few bay leaves, and rehydrated chiles that you've snipped the stems off of. For the chiles I'm using 6-7 pasillas and 2-3 californias. Add in the water that you soaked the chiles in, some bullion powder and enough water to come half way up the meat (you can use stock, of course). Cook under pressure for an hour, then natural release. Ladle out enough a couple of cups of the resulting liquid and reserve. Remove the meat and chop/shred it up and then throw back in the pot to simmer. Reduce the reserved liquid until you have a cup or so, then serve on the side of the tacos. For the tacos themselves, simply put some tortillas down on your comal after greasing the down side, sprinkle some cheese on the top side, and add some of the taco meat. Let it melt and fold it over. Depending on your tortillas, you may need to put the cheesy tortilla inside another for structural purposes. Dip the taco in the consomé you just made and chow down.

I'm going to get so fat if I ever start doing this and it will be all your fault. Thanks!