Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BigFactory posted:

That’s definitely a close approximation of a cassette you use for air sampling. It’s not a professional pump but if it’s calibrated it should work. I would question how re-usable it is, but since you’re not trying to meet worker protection standards maybe it’s ok if it’s out of calibration in 6 months.

$250 for all the parts and 3 tests isn’t a bad price imo, unless the directions are bad or you don’t do it right.

It would probably (almost certainly) be cheaper than calling someone in to sample your air.

Do you have a reason to suspect that there are mold spores in your indoor air?

So to compare, this: gillian BDX ii is the real kind of pump that you’d use, but it’s $300 by itself and you also need cassettes and a calibration tool and to pay to ship your tests to the lab and have them sampled. I wouldn’t recommend buying one unless you want to change careers.

No direct reason to expect anything. It's an older house (1982), it's tucked away in some trees and very moist everywhere. It's been renovated, but the POs were definitely the "cover up" type. Humidity is sitting at around 65% inside and it even got up to 70% the other day. That combined with a recent leak (and some, contained, mold associated with it) and a very very old HVAC just had me wanting to test it. Especially with two young kids I've just gotten a bit paranoid about making sure they're in clean environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

BonoMan posted:

No direct reason to expect anything. It's an older house (1982), it's tucked away in some trees and very moist everywhere. It's been renovated, but the POs were definitely the "cover up" type. Humidity is sitting at around 65% inside and it even got up to 70% the other day. That combined with a recent leak (and some, contained, mold associated with it) and a very very old HVAC just had me wanting to test it. Especially with two young kids I've just gotten a bit paranoid about making sure they're in clean environment.

What would you do if mold turned up in the air sample? It probably will to some degree or another. How much is too much? Could you get a couple dehumidifiers and some hepa filtered air purifiers and call it a day? Mold remediation gets to be a big deal real fast if it’s not managed with some amount of finesse.

For instance, if your old HVAC system is part of the problem, part of the solution might be to replace it. Are you willing to go down that road?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

A Jupiter posted:

edit: oh my god I was trying to quote this in the OSHA thread and i posted here goddamnit.

Haha, you gonna make em jealous with my foundation that actually supports the house at multiple points

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

If you deal with the humidity, you won't have a problem with mold. Outside of a direct leak, keeping relative humidity below 60% will definitely help prevent the mold from growing.

Any mold test you do is going to come back with "yes, there are mold spores"... because they're everywhere. You'd be better off spending the money on a whole home dehumidifier then doing anything with mold testing. (If you do go the whole home route, get a fresh air intake added as part of it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

Mold is definitely a new-ish boogeyman. People have been going nuts over it for while now and it's getting to feel like a lot of it is nonsense spouted to sell tests and magical spray on products.

You are singing from my hymnbook.

I have been dealing with the mold issue in a professional capacity for most of my career. I remember how it was before, and the absolutely disgusting feeding-frenzy that cropped up in the mid-1990s. The entire arc of the mold-remediation scam smacks hard of pyramid schemes & prosperity gospel. It helped make Balfor a household name. Just oceans of cash. It got so bad so fast that policies were rewritten to exclude mold, then then maybe offer an endorsement to cover it up to a limit of $5K or $10K if the mold formation stems from a covered loss and if the spread meets the basic threshold of the New York City / IICRC guidelines (the national standard: a minimum of ten square feet)

The issue is not the mold, as much as it is the human body's response to it. In a tiny percentage of people, they have allergic reactions to certain types of molds as well as spore densities, and that tiny minority who got really sick were signal-boosted to the moon by the burgeoning remediation industry. It's why we get these NIOSH statements, because as far as the general population goes, spore types & densities don't mean a fart in a hurricane; you expose a normal pulmonary system to enough airborne particulate matter - irrespective of plant, animal or mineral - you're gonna get a response.

The only death tied to mold involved very young kids playing in a basement in a tenement in Chicago that had a chronic issue with busted sewer lines so the kids were spending a great deal of time running around in the equivalent of an open sewer in a mediaeval city. One kid got some super-weird rare mold that only thrives in raw sewage down his airway & that triggered a toxic response & his systems shut down. It has not recurred anywhere as far as I know.

BigFactory posted:

What would you do if mold turned up in the air sample? It probably will to some degree or another. How much is too much? ...

Testing for mold means also testing outside to get the ambient mold levels for comparison.

Mold is everywhere. You can maybe escape it in a clean room or similar artificially-created hermetic environment, but the best you can hope to do is knock it down. Like fire, mold propagation requires three legs: humidity, temperature, and (absence of) light/UV. Take any one of those away & propagation collapses.

BonoMan posted:

...Especially with two young kids I've just gotten a bit paranoid about making sure they're in clean environment.

If you have any kids, let alone more than one, there is no such thing as a 'clean environment.'

:corsair:

"What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" is especially true in kids.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 8, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PainterofCrap posted:

If you have any kids, let alone more than one, there is no such thing as a 'clean environment.'

:corsair:

"What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" is especially true in kids.

Ha you know what I mean. My kids are in daycare/school so I def appreciate building their immune systems. I just meant more of a general sense of I feel a duty to provide the best home I can.

But all points taken. And that's why I was asking here. Less of feeling an immediate danger or anything and more of just part of a house wide system check as we're settling in.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

BonoMan posted:

Moisture problem? I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The more I try to make sense of the spatial relationships in that picture the more insane I go.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Groverhaus of Leaves

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vim Fuego posted:

This is the sunken tub evolved 1000 years

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

doom bathroom --> quake bedroom

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Yeah this is my wife's view. She's just like "I dunno... I always grew up with it. I constantly had to bleach my mom's walls."

And I'm not panicking or anything. Just with this new house with the old HVAC and my kids constantly all snotty... I just figured I'd give it a test if doable. If not it's no biggie either.

To echo at least one other poster I would put some HEPA filter units in your house. If you want to go on the cheaper end you could simply build some CR cubes (https://cleanaircrew.org/box-fan-filters/) to see if filtering the air cleans up your kids snotty noses.

Two years ago due to fires and smoke I bought this indoor air quality monitor - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P7FV16F

It's not going to do anything about detecting mold of course but it can show you if your issue is particles (pollen, smoke, dust) and also you can see how much additional air filtering inside your home reduces the particles in the air.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Motronic posted:

Mold is definitely a new-ish boogeyman. People have been going nuts over it for while now and it's getting to feel like a lot of it is nonsense spouted to sell tests and magical spray on products.

Yeah I really can't help but feel those kits like the one posted on this page are basically stealing money from people with mental health issues in 90% of cases.

e: I think about the goon who thought his headaches were caused by his hood not being airtight on his car when I see that stuff I guess (if you're reading this I hope you're doing well and not trying to pick on you). It just seems a little predatory, if the companies selling these products cared about people's health I would hope to see them recommending a professional evaluation on their websites, but I'm guessing they don't have that.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 8, 2022

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

There was an interview with the architect where he described the water intrusion from his roof peeling his paint into a "pleasant patina" lol

twenty million dollars

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
This photo helps me understand why conservatorships exist.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Anybody have hardwood floors in their kitchen? I've got a kitchen reno planned for 2023 and am thinking about my flooring options and am considering extending the existing red oak flooring from the dining room into the kitchen. I'm just interested in hearing thoughts about this from anybody with hardwood in their kitchen now: like it? Hate it? Tips and tricks?

I had previously been considering LVP but I really just don't like how it looks, tile I'm just concerned about dropping and breaking things (the thing I dropped, or the tile), that leaves me with ???? other choices. It's a very small space, about 72sqft, that is currently covered in vinyl stick on tile over underlayment which is itself covering something with asbestos. I'm going to get it all ripped out and start fresh. I've also got one step down to an entryway from the kitchen that I need to figure out flooring options for. Wouldn't do wood since it will see a lot of tracked in water/dirt/snow. Tile or rubber maybe?

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Anybody have hardwood floors in their kitchen? I've got a kitchen reno planned for 2023 and am thinking about my flooring options and am considering extending the existing red oak flooring from the dining room into the kitchen. I'm just interested in hearing thoughts about this from anybody with hardwood in their kitchen now: like it? Hate it? Tips and tricks?

I had previously been considering LVP but I really just don't like how it looks, tile I'm just concerned about dropping and breaking things (the thing I dropped, or the tile), that leaves me with ???? other choices. It's a very small space, about 72sqft, that is currently covered in vinyl stick on tile over underlayment which is itself covering something with asbestos. I'm going to get it all ripped out and start fresh. I've also got one step down to an entryway from the kitchen that I need to figure out flooring options for. Wouldn't do wood since it will see a lot of tracked in water/dirt/snow. Tile or rubber maybe?

I had wood flooring in the kitchen in my previous house and i would STRONGLY suggest NOT doing it. The dishwasher leaked only a few drops overnight and damaged the floor right in front of it which was completely visible. it looked horrible. After that we were always on patrol, almost obsessively, to make sure there was never any accidental spillage of liquid on the floor. Obviously since this is a kitchen, you will get some type of liquid on the floor without even knowing.

Right now in my current house we have vinyl tiles in the kitchen. They aren't the greatest looking but they were installed by the previous owner 8ish years ago. I have been casually looking online and it appears you can get much nicer looking vinyl tiles now. So if I were you, I'd give a harder look into that.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
My in-laws have had hardwood in their kitchen for 30 years and my parents for 20 without issue.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, leaky dishwasher story sounds like exceptionally cheap hardwood or more likely fake hardwood/engineered hardwood/sawdust with inkjet printed woodgrain on it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My house has hardwood flooring in the kitchen and it's been fine. Sometimes I'll spill some water and I just kind of smear it out with my foot and let it evaporate, and I haven't had any trouble.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

devicenull posted:

If you deal with the humidity, you won't have a problem with mold. Outside of a direct leak, keeping relative humidity below 60% will definitely help prevent the mold from growing.

Any mold test you do is going to come back with "yes, there are mold spores"... because they're everywhere.

*Chukles in Florida Man.*

Much like the cockroaches and ants, the mold lives here too. You do what you can to keep it to a dull roar, but you’re never, ever getting rid of it completely.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

Motronic posted:

Yeah, leaky dishwasher story sounds like exceptionally cheap hardwood or more likely fake hardwood/engineered hardwood/sawdust with inkjet printed woodgrain on it.

seeing as i had the hardwood floor installed during a major renovation in 2013, i can assure you it was actually hardwood.

It damaged the wood in about 3 spots roughly the size of a half dollar, quarter and a dime.

Some Guy From NY fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 8, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Some Guy From NY posted:

seeing as i had the hardwood floor installed during a major renovation in 2013, i can assure you it was actually hardwood.

It damaged the wood in about 3 spots roughly the size of a half dollar, quarter and a dime.

That's a shame. It's not what happens with quality hardwood that's been properly finished, so I wouldn't take your single data point as how this works.

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

can anyone tell just by looking if this beam is load bearing? i'm guessing not because a) there's no support directly underneath, just to the sides, b) the 2x4s (are only 2x4) and aren't on their edges, c) the bottom 2x4 is nailed into the top plate of the adjoining wall, not resting on top of it, and d) there's additional roof support in the attic above this room that isn't present anywhere else in the house.

i thiiiinnnkkkkk in a previous life that there was partition wall here separating a dining room and kitchen that the previous owners took out but left the top plate in because???

isnt that right fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 8, 2022

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
It shouldn't be, but I'm just some guy on the internet.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

My impression is that the wall you've exposed is load bearing, and that 'beam' is not. The question is really what way do your roof trusses run - if that beam is parallel with the roof trusses, it's unlikely to be load bearing. If it's perpendicular to the trusses, it's probably load bearing.

I'm not a structural engineer though!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Motronic posted:

That's a shame. It's not what happens with quality hardwood that's been properly finished, so I wouldn't take your single data point as how this works.

Could be some chemicals in the detergent that reacted with the finish. I would assume the floors would be finished in polyurethene, and that poly would be resistant to detergents, but maybe they were finished with wax or shellac.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

Could be some chemicals in the detergent that reacted with the finish. I would assume the floors would be finished in polyurethene, and that poly would be resistant to detergents, but maybe they were finished with wax or shellac.

Floors installed in 2013 were not finished with wax or shellac.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I have hardwood kitchen floors and had had them in several houses. Never had a problem with water. Spills evaporate. Bigger issue is dropping pots or other heavy stuff that leaves a dent.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My grandparents have old high-quality hardwood floors. The couple boards in front of the dishwasher got hosed from an ongoing intermittent leak and ended up needing replacement. Iirc there was also something going on under their fridge from ice cubes a kid (not me!!) kicked there every day or two. I love hardwood, have only ever lived in 100-year-old houses with hardwood everywhere, but it's not invincible

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

SkunkDuster posted:

Motronic posted:

Floors installed in 2013 were not finished with wax or shellac.

They were finished with a Minwax oil stain (forgot which color) with a satin clear coat.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We have scratch and spill resistant LVP in the kitchen it's fine

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Real hardwood with a proper finish is one of your better options for kitchen flooring. The only things that will really gently caress with it are extensive, prolonged exposure to standing water (example: my PO left a leaky dishwasher in place and refused to run a dehumidifier in the basement for so long that the entire floor under the dishwasher was covered in a mat of mold) and dropping heavy objects repeatedly.

corgski fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 9, 2022

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yesterday I discovered my POs grouted my master toilet to the tile :dogstare:

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

My goondolences

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Johnny Truant posted:

:same: x3 toilets in my house. I've got one that sits at a slight angle and that's the one reason I've never pulled it and reseated it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Final Blog Entry posted:

:same: x3 toilets in my house. I've got one that sits at a slight angle and that's the one reason I've never pulled it and reseated it.

Got me beat by one toilet lol, we checked our half bath and it's the same

:negative:

Holy poo poo though, I didn't realize plywood smells so. loving. bad. :barf:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

Got me beat by one toilet lol, we checked our half bath and it's the same

:negative:

Holy poo poo though, I didn't realize plywood smells so. loving. bad. :barf:

Plywood smells like wood and glue. You're smelling mold or rot I'm guessing!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Plywood smells like wood and glue. You're smelling mold or rot I'm guessing!

Nope, this is the new plywood I bought smelling like poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Uhhh yeah plywood shouldn't smell like much of anything besides wood.