Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e

Peachfart posted:

I got bored with TUTBAD after they(story up to about 2 months ago) They go into the special dimension to rescue the kidnapped people . Does anything interesting happen? It had been boring for awhile at that point.

I doubt anything that would change your mind - we get more time with Alric's mom but other than that it's more of the same, mostly. There was also a two week break in updates in there I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Rabidbunnylover posted:

Alexander Wales (of TUTBAD and cloaca fame) has a NaNoWriMo story called Thresholder on Royal Road about a repeatedly isekai-ed highlander style setup where the protagonist has power armor and a magic sword in not-Victorian England with vampires: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/60396/thresholder.

So far seems like a decent hook and reasonable writing, although given the pacing it seems more like a way to try out the first arc of a new serial than a self-contained story.

Seems like one of those stories where the protagonist is going to make a whole lot of bad decisions. Should be fun.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Peachfart posted:

I got bored with TUTBAD after they(story up to about 2 months ago) They go into the special dimension to rescue the kidnapped people . Does anything interesting happen? It had been boring for awhile at that point.

It's pretty slowburn, so I put it on hold and I'll read it when that arc is over.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

yeah this TUTBAD arc has been dragging really bad

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
I'm really enjoying the current dilemma in Jackal Among Snakes

Orion is an OP zealot with world's smallest fuse but shown he respects Argrave and can change. Guiding him to become a better person has huge potential for good but also bad if another Vasqer manipulates him or he thinks Argrave is against the gods.

He also might lose all the alliances he's been building among the rebel south, especially after calling off the marriage to Nico and "borrowing" the Margrave's drake. However, leaving Orion to help the south could make him a very powerful and singular minded enemy.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Kyoujin posted:

I'm really enjoying the current dilemma in Jackal Among Snakes

Orion is an OP zealot with world's smallest fuse but shown he respects Argrave and can change. Guiding him to become a better person has huge potential for good but also bad if another Vasqer manipulates him or he thinks Argrave is against the gods.

He also might lose all the alliances he's been building among the rebel south, especially after calling off the marriage to Nico and "borrowing" the Margrave's drake. However, leaving Orion to help the south could make him a very powerful and singular minded enemy.

it is kind of the endpoint of a part of the story where his foreknowledge is becoming practically useless in the face of all the waves he is making. It seemed to me that Orion would be fine with just being pope, while Argrave reigned, which is what the scenes of that one Margrave seemed to indicate him coming to the same conclusion in regards to Argrave. But, nothing played out like that in the game because the character he got warped into died early on in all the paths, so he is a bit blind to it for the time being.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peachfart posted:

There's been plenty of interesting stuff but they're all character moments so you probably don't give a poo poo.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
There's definitely been interesting stuff with the disappearances, but yeah it's worldbuilding and character moments (and one rad fight scene starring Alfric's mom).

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

shirunei posted:

it is kind of the endpoint of a part of the story where his foreknowledge is becoming practically useless in the face of all the waves he is making. It seemed to me that Orion would be fine with just being pope, while Argrave reigned, which is what the scenes of that one Margrave seemed to indicate him coming to the same conclusion in regards to Argrave. But, nothing played out like that in the game because the character he got warped into died early on in all the paths, so he is a bit blind to it for the time being.

JaS is maybe one of my favorite serials right now. I think the world and characters are way above the common RR muck.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

shirunei posted:

Yeah, and honestly if he set himself up to be next in line with Orion's backing, a bunch of his old allies would be ok with that or eventually come around.

I'm just glad with the cool world building and cascading changes that Argrave now has to tread carefully instead of following a game path. We got a taste of that with Titus and the water cult but everything since meeting Orion has been full of uncertainty and I love it (especially compared to early chapters)

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

yeah this TUTBAD arc has been dragging really bad
Isn't this arc the end-the-book arc?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Colth you dork

Stealing Check: 13 (random: 5, he turned his head as she was reaching up over the table + 2 concealment + 4 [Natural Concealment] + 2 agility. Dexterity?)

Target Check: 33 (random: 15, looking her way + 9 dexterity + 3 fencer’s gloves + 6 [Flash Hands])

The end result was that the girl, Mrsha, put her paw on the plate of honey bread as Deniusth stared at her. She tried to snatch it and ran, crowing, with an empty…plate…in her paws. The Violinist took a bite from the bread as Mrsha the Slow stared at him and slunk away.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Wrong thread (I think).

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
no, pirate's decided the wandering inn needs more litrpg elements

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Peachfart posted:

Nope. There was a lengthy break and now we're rotating through 1 chapter per character for the same day. Doesn't seem like the plot is advancing any time soon.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
JaS Poor naive Orion. With the way the story was hinting him to be an unpredictable danger, I really never expected Orion to be such a tragic character. Holy fool indeed.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Outcast in Another World posted:

Rob placed his face into his hands. Heat Resistance is a waste of a Skill, he bemoaned. It didn't protect me from that burn at all.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Kyoujin posted:

Yeah, and honestly if he set himself up to be next in line with Orion's backing, a bunch of his old allies would be ok with that or eventually come around.

I'm just glad with the cool world building and cascading changes that Argrave now has to tread carefully instead of following a game path. We got a taste of that with Titus and the water cult but everything since meeting Orion has been full of uncertainty and I love it (especially compared to early chapters)

Having just caught up with Jackal Among Snakes, I think the problem with this is Orion both loves his whole psychopathic broken family and believes the whole "divine right to rule" bit. Argrave could probably talk the rebels into keeping Orion around as a pope, but it's extremely unlikely that Argrave could talk Orion into not delivering holy justice onto the rebels that killed his (non-Argrave) family. And even trying risks getting brutally murdered if he underestimates just how much control Orion actually has. Meanwhile Argrave has already helped the rebels enough that taking advantage of Orion's offer to side with his family is probably off the table, not to mention when he considers it he notes that the Rebels are now probably going to win thanks to his help so it's a bad time to change sides.

All in all there's no clear solution and I think that's great. Too many web serials get lost in being a power fantasy and forget tension and uncertainty can be important in a story too. And I'll second JaS is one of my favorite ongoing serials right now.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Some thoughts on Arks 217 (patreon)
So at first I thought the Dungeon Core thing just came out of nowhere, but I'm starting to think the author has been building up to it for a while?
Like first off, Mel taking the core of the soul slime
Then during the talks at the end of the last book, Mel talks about banning [Teleport]
The huge pile of Benevolence crisis points in 100 years when Yggdrasil is unsealed, despite Veird just not having the mana production to do anything interplanetary
Also the Sovereign Cities war demonstrated a key point about how benevolence works: It doesn't predict major events, it predicts decision points. The Sovereign Cities were pretty much fated to be crushed, so how didn't particularly matter.
In the case of Dungeon Cores, there's no decisions to be made. It's happening, period, which is why it wasn't 'predicted' by benevolence. (though I could be wrong on that, and this is just Mel pulling a giant pile of fate fuckery)
Fairy Moon putting everyone under a spell to 'calmly figure out how to deal with the teleport lock' means there's no decision points to be made there either, meaning there's nothing to trigger benevolence on the after effects.
Outside the story, this is going to speed things up a lot. Mana generation isn't an issue now, and now there's a whole pile of conflict between Erick, Oceanside and the Wrought vs the rest of the world. And this sets up a proper conflict point between Erick and the Gods, as Erick cares about Humans, and the Gods care about Humanity.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're pretty much right about all of that, I think. Except for one part.

The gods don't even give a poo poo about sentients in the abstract, it's just that they're the only source of Reality and Truth required to keep the manasphere healthy, and most monsters aren't particularly useful at this, even if they do produce plenty of mana for that end of things. This isn't ever outright stated but it makes sense, since most of the gods explicitly say they don't give a poo poo about the mortals even in general- just some specifics not being crossed like hurting Veird, the Script, or the manasphere.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Sundering all souls has been mentioned as an emergency measure that is on the table if things go badly enough.

I find myself wondering about why the god of knowledge hasn't reconstituted. Is it because skepticism wins in our world and true knowledge is impossible? At least impossible enough that a god of it can't be sustained? I feel like the gods are being extraordinarily hubristic in thinking that they can do a ground up revamp of the global magical ecosystem and be confident it will stay on the rails. Maybe they're stuck in a mode of thought from when knowledge was a lot more certain.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Wittgen posted:

Sundering all souls has been mentioned as an emergency measure that is on the table if things go badly enough.

I find myself wondering about why the god of knowledge hasn't reconstituted. Is it because skepticism wins in our world and true knowledge is impossible? At least impossible enough that a god of it can't be sustained? I feel like the gods are being extraordinarily hubristic in thinking that they can do a ground up revamp of the global magical ecosystem and be confident it will stay on the rails. Maybe they're stuck in a mode of thought from when knowledge was a lot more certain.

I imagine it's a one-two punch:

1) The largest system of organized learning, the arcaneums, is primarily a tool of control: it's not about teaching people how to do magic properly so much as ensuring they don't do it dangerously. That's why they outright lie on many topics and never discuss many others.

2) There doesn't really seem to be an organized scientific community, in the sense of collaborative systematic discovery and sharing of information, not for magic or for mundane matters. Archmages do push magical progress forward, but due to safety concerns they often don't share things, and the whole concept of "magical Truths" means that there's only so much they could share in the first place. As a result, you have foundational nature-of-reality matters like the New Cosmology working on particle physics going unnoticed right up until Erick arrives. The closest to that kind of collaboration is spells being added to the Script, and there you just buy the new spell with a point.

Plus between the Quiet War and the Shades and Fairy Moon there have been several different avenues for anyone who starts correcting either of those to get assassinated, and god help them if they're also a Wizard. So Veird feels pretty hostile to the things that would lead to a new God of Knowledge.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

Pillbug

Larry Parrish posted:

You're pretty much right about all of that, I think. Except for one part.

OK, but I thought The gods need at least a minimum number of believers/practitioners, else the Go Dark (TBH it's never really been specified what 'Going Dark' entails). So I assume they still desire to have sentients around, though again that number is probably a lot smaller than Erick would expect. Or is that where you were going with being a source of Reality and Truth, they believe the gods have power therefore the gods keep their power.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BadMedic posted:

OK, but I thought The gods need at least a minimum number of believers/practitioners, else the Go Dark (TBH it's never really been specified what 'Going Dark' entails). So I assume they still desire to have sentients around, though again that number is probably a lot smaller than Erick would expect. Or is that where you were going with being a source of Reality and Truth, they believe the gods have power therefore the gods keep their power.

It's never stated directly, but it would operate on the same logic we've seen about how sentients interact with magic.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Rozeta, in Ar'Kendrithyst 217 posted:

"According to the numbers, it really doesn’t matter how many fake people or real people we kill. We’re building for the rest of eternity here."

Oh no! Her full name is Rozeta Bankman-Fried! In 218, she'll go bankrupt and have to sell her crypto firm to Melemizargo!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
LTRPG

No it's not a typo, have you heard about longtermism? We're very rational. The system is coming

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Hey, War Queen updated again.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

90s Cringe Rock posted:

LTRPG

No it's not a typo, have you heard about longtermism? We're very rational. The system is coming
Harry Potter and the Screen of Numbers

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
litrpg trip report: Tanking Hits [I Level When I Get Hit in the Balls] is exactly what it sounds like. I wasn't paying too much attention, but the letters seem to mostly be in the right order, and the words are assembled into reasonable sentences.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

lol

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I gave it a few chapters but it didn't work for me. It's at some awkward point in between being a full-on parody and a ridiculous concept played straight.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
These writing challenge serials are fundamentally more for the author than for readers; they’re a way for people to challenge themselves and see how they do if they write very regularly. I think that’s why you’re seeing so many stupid ideas. It’s always obvious what should happen in the next chapter of Kicked In the Balls Guy: If a scene gets boring, have someone burst in with a steel-toed boot.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

Pillbug

90s Cringe Rock posted:

litrpg trip report: Tanking Hits [I Level When I Get Hit in the Balls] is exactly what it sounds like. I wasn't paying too much attention, but the letters seem to mostly be in the right order, and the words are assembled into reasonable sentences.

That's the kind of title that just screams the author has a weird fetish.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

BadMedic posted:

That's the kind of title that just screams the author has a weird fetish.

That question is answered in the preface:

quote:

Please, for the love of all that is comedy, do not take this story too seriously! I am writing it to be lightly humorous — I'm also planning to, horrifyingly sprinkle it with slapstick and puns.

For self-insert readers — you are awesome, that said... you may want to move along as I don't think your self-insert experience will be pleasant. Just sayin'.

If you're still here, then either you're curious or skipped this entirely (*lights a candle for the poor self-insert reader who didn't read the warning*). So, you may ask why an author who could be editing more chapters of an amazing comedic story like When Immortal Ascension Fails Time Travel to Try Again is posting the grammar-edited-rough-draft of a story where the POV character levels by getting hit in the balls — and I'm here to answer that question!

It all started with a friendly debate. A writing buddy of mine, NoDragons said that a story's idea mattered significantly.

I argued that the idea could be complete poo poo, as long as the execution of it was well done.

Basically, any idea can make a compelling story.

I even pointed to this same exact argument that Jim Butcher had that lead to him writing Furies of Calderon.

Of course, being the dumbass I was, I decided to try and prove my point. So, NoDragons challenged me to write a story with the idea: Reincarnated as a Tank: I Level Up When I'm Hit in the Balls.

Of course, this short conversation happened over a year ago so he doesn't remember it too well. But that doesn't mean I can't still win the debate! And, while I'm at it, give him a bit of an advertisement since his story, Breaker of Horizons: A LitRPG Adventure, just came out on Amazon!

This version of Tanking Hits is the rough draft, so it may feel like a super detailed outline that has been lightly edited for grammar. This will improve after a round of additive edits, line edits and content edits. Normally I would go through a long editing process like I do with WIAFTTTTA before allowing my work to get thrashed by people, but I'm posting this rougher version for RR's Writathon.

Please be kind and constructive with feedback because I read every comment. We authors are creative souls with lives of our own and we are not made of steel.

That said, I know that the RR readers are the best readers on the internet. I hope this story is able to make you laugh, even a little.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Megazver posted:

That question is answered in the preface:
tbh I am siding with them, the SF/F thread had a whole drat conversation about that book about a rock with second-person narration recently

(it's The Raven Tower and it's loving great)

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

Pillbug
Or One Punch Man, where the premise is literally 'Superhero who is so impossibly strong he's the most powerful being in the universe no contest'
Like you would expect that to be relegated to the trashiest of LNs/RR series
And not only is it great, somehow the fight scenes are also incredible despite the outcome being blatantly obvious from the start.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

BadMedic posted:

Or One Punch Man, where the premise is literally 'Superhero who is so impossibly strong he's the most powerful being in the universe no contest'
Like you would expect that to be relegated to the trashiest of LNs/RR series
And not only is it great, somehow the fight scenes are also incredible despite the outcome being blatantly obvious from the start.

OPM does a very simple trick, it is not a story about how powerful Saitama is.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

I kind of like 'Tanking hits' as a funny diversion from more serious stuff. Not sure this has staying power beyond 20 chapters or so. What I really like are all the pictures included. Guess that's a thing you can only do as an established author. Would love to see more of this in other stories, instead of just fan art afterwards. I think I'd like this more then a full webtoon.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

MonikaTSarn posted:

Guess that's a thing you can only do as an established author.
If it's AI art then pretty much anyone can do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I am rereading Beneath the Dragoneye Moons and I was reminded that Elaine gets a small percentage of the xp earned by anyone who uses her oath. Given she's the mother of modern medicine and presumably a lot of people have used her oath over the last 20,000 years, why isn't she higher level? Did the XP not accumulate while she was faying, or did Auri eat it all up? Maybe it's just a small enough percentage to not matter, but I'm curious if I'm missing something obvious.