Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I guess the release date for 3.0+1.11 is going to be march 8 2023. It’ll have a bonus called Evangelion 3.0 (-46h).

They’ve sure been taking their time with the physical release.

https://twitter.com/evangelion_co/status/1577131561924689922?s=46&t=uERy6-EKmtLRrnmSwtxL9g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

pentyne posted:

Honestly think there's way too much effort put into explaining Mari.

She just feels like "new girl with new plot" more then anything and is sort of off handedly dropped into some of the ~mysterious Eva lore~ after the fact.

Like, as mentioned, her entire interaction from intro is to be someone who actually treats Shinji like a human being and be receptive to his emotions in a healthy way, a rebuttal to the holy trilogy of wildly inappropriate adult guardian with big tits, mega-tsundere abusive redhead, and blue haired emotionally dead girl who learns what love is but too late.
and this is why she is the worst girl

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

From PITR:

Shadow0 posted:

I'm not surprised at all. They are absolutely ubiquitous in pachinko parlors. I saw ads featuring the cast allllll the time on the street or in window. I almost considered mentioning Evangelion when I first brought up pachinko, haha.

Also note that 3.0+1.0 is getting a US theatrical release in a few weeks:
https://gkids.com/evangelion/

Looks like subs at all the shows near me. 30 November is IMAX, which I would consider risking if the nearest theater wasn't 30 miles away for a 7pm weeknight show.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

War and Pieces posted:

and this is why she is the worst girl

mari owns

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I hated Mari in 1 and 3.33. I liked Mari in 2.22 and 3+1.

It is very strange.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

I hated Mari in 1 and 3.33. I liked Mari in 2.22 and 3+1.

It is very strange.

Yeah real weird. Did you just hate that she wasn't in the first one? She didn't even show up till the second movie.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I hated that she wasn't in the first one, personally.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

Yeah real weird. Did you just hate that she wasn't in the first one? She didn't even show up till the second movie.

She had a tiny cameo in the preview at the end of 1.11.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Midjack posted:

From PITR:

Also note that 3.0+1.0 is getting a US theatrical release in a few weeks:
https://gkids.com/evangelion/

Looks like subs at all the shows near me. 30 November is IMAX, which I would consider risking if the nearest theater wasn't 30 miles away for a 7pm weeknight show.

wow the only imax showing near me was almost sold out. thanks for posting, i would have hated to miss this

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Midjack posted:

Ok. For some reason, I remembered the parachute scene happening in 1.11 and the 02 fight happening in 2.22. So, basically. I didn't like her intro. But I liked that fight.

:shrug:

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

mari saved the eva franchise and story. without her its navel gazing

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s 100% navel gazing right now and that’s exactly what the fans wanted. People got what they paid for, for better or worse

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Wasn't the whole point of End of Eva that Shinji needed to get over his naval gazing and form real human connections?

Oh well, I guess that isn't what sells Evangelion-waifu branded Razor Blades or Dialysis Machines.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Wasn't the whole point of End of Eva that Shinji needed to get over his naval gazing and form real human connections?

Oh well, I guess that isn't what sells Evangelion-waifu branded Razor Blades or Dialysis Machines.

The funny thing is, he'd learned that lesson by the back half of Shin and went out and acted on it, even finally managing to have an honest conversation with his dad.

And then some people complained about it (although the overall reception was very good) because Shinji making human connections resulted in him having at least the start of a happy relationship of some kind with someone he'd never been able to spend much time with before.

There were a surprising number of Eva fans eager to say the theme is that things can get better who also got very angry when things did get better.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i watched 3.0+1.0 in imax. the first free fall fight over paris definitely benefits from being seen on the big screen. the second one is still kind of incoherent

still a bit strange feeling that there's now a more or less definitive cap on the whole thing

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Jehde posted:

It would be great if anime could rally behind getting rid of "fan service" as a whole, because it's just various levels of gross. But unfortunately "fan service" is why a lot of gross people like anime to begin with. I don't see it ever happening.

I think fan service would be fine if it was ONLY adults. If you want to have Chun Li do a shower scene, fine she is in her mid to late 20s. You want Misato in a bikini? Fine, she is in her 30s. There are also a growing number of male characters doing fan service and that's fine too, if they're all adults.

If you want to do stuff with people over 18 (maybe a bit older than 18 because it's skeevy when they're exactly 18, even if it is legal), then fine. But what creeps me out is anime does go lower and that's messed up. There shouldn't be any fan service in a loving high school show, unless its a teacher.

Sex appeal isn't terrible. Hollywood does it, TV does it. It's a normal thing. But anime has a pedophile problem it needs to address.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah but idk it just seems extra hosed up in Eva because… all the characters that might be rendered in fan service frames are in very bad places emotionally. Adults and children alike.

It’s funny that this is pretty definitely if subtextually addressed right at the start of EoE, and it would be possible to dismiss the merchandising etc as callous profit pursuit by people alienated from the creation of the actual series & movies, but throwing it in to the rebuilds kind of fucks with that idea… the rebuilds gently caress with the whole idea of EoE, really.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Paper Lion posted:

mari saved the eva franchise and story. without her its navel gazing

without navel gazing it's not Eva

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

My memory of Eva is far from the best but the only fanservice I really remember is the scene with Shinji and Rei where a pretty common romantic gag is turned into something a lot more...eerie? Uncomfortable? I dunno, the plugsuits are pretty revealing, no matter what you do with the characters.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

War and Pieces posted:

without navel gazing it's not Eva

The question is if Evangelion has navel gazing or if it is navel gazing. There still is plenty of it in the Rebuilds, but they also have a running theme that it's bad when Shinji goes too deep in his own head. Mari is one of the aspects that helps the Rebuilds balance between the philosophical musings, the giant robot action, and the character interactions.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I watched Eva for the first time earlier this year and I thought all of the fanservice in the original series was undercut by how awkward, juvenile and embarrassing it was. It all felt like it was coming from the perspective of the teenage characters trying to deal with their emotions and attractions but since it was Eva, none of them really could in a healthy way given the circumstances and how bad of examples adults like Misato are.

Kaji is one of the healthier people in the story and they write how he responds to Asuka's crush on him in a nuanced way. He never takes advantage of or indulges her really, just respects her having those feelings is okay but absolutely not gonna happen for a laundry list of reasons. Maybe there are counter examples to this since I did only watch it once at the start of the year.

Other than obviously people are gross, its hard for me to understand any of it as titillating, unless they watched it originally as a hormonal teenager without perspective. EoE's opening was less of a change up from the series than underlining several times how hosed up it would be to find any of this hot.

I'd need to watch the Rebuilds again but since they end up being the characters finally being able to find healthy ways of connecting, Shinji needed to learn how to be normal around a gorgeous gal with big boobs as much as he needed to be able to talk to his dad.

Maybe some of it goes too far but I feel like the series overall mostly handles things thoughtfully. It's hard to find the balance between addressing these subjects without making it weird or exploitative.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

the funny thing is that if I recall, Sadamoto and Anno revealed at one point that the plug suits were essentially a joke design that they didn't think would get past the censors in a million years because they're essentially just body paint, and they were floored when they got signed off on.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

the funny thing is that if I recall, Sadamoto and Anno revealed at one point that the plug suits were essentially a joke design that they didn't think would get past the censors in a million years because they're essentially just body paint, and they were floored when they got signed off on.

Shiroc posted:

I watched Eva for the first time earlier this year and I thought all of the fanservice in the original series was undercut by how awkward, juvenile and embarrassing it was. It all felt like it was coming from the perspective of the teenage characters trying to deal with their emotions and attractions but since it was Eva, none of them really could in a healthy way given the circumstances and how bad of examples adults like Misato are.

Kaji is one of the healthier people in the story and they write how he responds to Asuka's crush on him in a nuanced way. He never takes advantage of or indulges her really, just respects her having those feelings is okay but absolutely not gonna happen for a laundry list of reasons. Maybe there are counter examples to this since I did only watch it once at the start of the year.

Other than obviously people are gross, its hard for me to understand any of it as titillating, unless they watched it originally as a hormonal teenager without perspective. EoE's opening was less of a change up from the series than underlining several times how hosed up it would be to find any of this hot.

I'd need to watch the Rebuilds again but since they end up being the characters finally being able to find healthy ways of connecting, Shinji needed to learn how to be normal around a gorgeous gal with big boobs as much as he needed to be able to talk to his dad.

Maybe some of it goes too far but I feel like the series overall mostly handles things thoughtfully. It's hard to find the balance between addressing these subjects without making it weird or exploitative.

I watched Eva once in 2013 and Kaji seemed cool for the reasons you listed and also how he treated Shinji. But other people in this thread have said he was a huge creep and I didn't remember that at all. But you just watched the series so... I dunno.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Kaji was a land of contrasts, like any other adult in the show. At times he was a voice of wisdom, other times he couldn't resist his desire to tease and flirt with old friends.

Gendo might have had his reasons but good god almighty what a reprehensible sack of poo poo in comparison.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I listened to a couple first time podcasts on Eva when it was released on Netflix, and the common thoughts are that the TV series generally don't give a lot of amazing moments to the women of the show compared to what they do later on, Kaji is a creep, they kinda don't know what to do with Shinji when he's not depressed so he's kinda shoved off to the side after he beats the dimensional Angel.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Shiroc posted:

ding ding ding

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tae posted:

I listened to a couple first time podcasts on Eva when it was released on Netflix, and the common thoughts are that the TV series generally don't give a lot of amazing moments to the women of the show compared to what they do later on, Kaji is a creep, they kinda don't know what to do with Shinji when he's not depressed so he's kinda shoved off to the side after he beats the dimensional Angel.

The movies more or less are similar to this outside kaji I guess who doesn’t really do much at all

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

The movies more or less are similar to this outside kaji I guess who doesn’t really do much at all

movie kaji literally rises up and overthrows nerv, op

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

nightbae smokewheat posted:

movie kaji literally rises up and overthrows nerv, op

Yeah there is a literal canon non-existent movie where Seele put Kaworu and Kaji as commander/vice-commander of Nerv, who are both double-agenting and protecting everyone from Seele's ire, while Kaji syphons EuroNerv assets to establish Wille, and leading a revolt that results in him sacrificing himself to stop Third Impact with a VTOL, all within like 6 months of the ending of 2.0.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Szmitten posted:

Yeah there is a literal canon non-existent movie where Seele put Kaworu and Kaji as commander/vice-commander of Nerv, who are both double-agenting and protecting everyone from Seele's ire, while Kaji syphons EuroNerv assets to establish Wille, and leading a revolt that results in him sacrificing himself to stop Third Impact with a VTOL, all within like 6 months of the ending of 2.0.

Ah that explains why I don’t remember any of this

Man these movies are a mess

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ah that explains why I don’t remember any of this

Man these movies are a mess

it's directly stated in the fourth movie that this is how wille came into existence. they even flashback to kaji getting into the vtol, and misato and ritsuko talk about the only reason why misato didn't choose to die with him is that she was pregnant with their child

say what you will about the opaque storytelling of the nge franchise, but rebuild kaji's deal is explicitly spelled out to the audience

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i've always had this nagging distaste for how misato's arc was wrapped up in rebuild, and i think i just put my finger on part of it

in the tv show, a lot of misato's issues are shown to stem from how distant and uninvolved and generally lovely her father had been, right up until he sacrificed his life for her without hesitation during second impact. she has no way to get closure and detangle the resentment she still feels from her childhood

then in rebuild she ends up basically becoming her father, cutting all ties with her son and then sacrifices her life while thinking of him. i guess in some way she might have been less selfish then her father, deciding to completely sever the relationship and making the sacrifice without her sons knowledge, but there's still something i find kind of off-putting about the whole thing. i guess i don't like the idea that we're doomed to become repeat the faults of our parents, with the best that can be hoped for is being a little bit better

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
It would be interesting to see the missing middle movie but it is kinda fitting to have the audience completely missing these huge events along with Shinji.

The bit in 3.0+1.0 where multiple people pull guns on him blaming him for everything that we barely understand is one of the funniest bits in the whole series.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i've always had this nagging distaste for how misato's arc was wrapped up in rebuild, and i think i just put my finger on part of it

in the tv show, a lot of misato's issues are shown to stem from how distant and uninvolved and generally lovely her father had been, right up until he sacrificed his life for her without hesitation during second impact. she has no way to get closure and detangle the resentment she still feels from her childhood

then in rebuild she ends up basically becoming her father, cutting all ties with her son and then sacrifices her life while thinking of him. i guess in some way she might have been less selfish then her father, deciding to completely sever the relationship and making the sacrifice without her sons knowledge, but there's still something i find kind of off-putting about the whole thing. i guess i don't like the idea that we're doomed to become repeat the faults of our parents, with the best that can be hoped for is being a little bit better

Isn't that sort of parallel to the Gendo/Shinji deal, where Shinji is a version of his father who learned to be better?

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Shiroc posted:

Kaji was amazing and to me probably the most adjusted human on the show. The way he dealt with Asuka endlessly throwing herself at him was hilarious. Like when he dropped off a drunk Misato and told Shinji to take care of her. Asuka was like, "You don't have to leave, you can stay here with me tonight," and he just responded, "I'd never live it down if I showed up to work in the same clothes I was wearing the night before," and just left.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I am deeply troubled that EoE is the first hit when you search netflix for the letter E

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

wdarkk posted:

Isn't that sort of parallel to the Gendo/Shinji deal, where Shinji is a version of his father who learned to be better?

the thing that bothers me isn't that there's a parallel, it's that shinji has a pretty decisive break from the mistakes his father made and decides to reach out to others and risk the pain that comes with that, rather from withdrawing (and in doing so leads genji to find that the path to yui was always through connecting with their son the whole time). shinji, with the help of those around him, is able to move pass the loss of kaworu, and both ayanami's, find mutual closure with asuke, and take a risk with mari

misato essentially just becomes her father, only to prevent instrumentality instead of trying to create it. the biggest emotional difference is that misato completely stays out of her son's life because she fears a connection will hurt them both and she hopes he can be happy without her (which maybe turns out to be the case). i guess i don't find "if you're committed to a suicide mission, make sure you cut ties with those you love so you don't mess them up" isn't as uplifting a lesson as "it's generally a good thing to try to engage with other people".

rebuild was a very shinji focused story, which i get because even at 4 long movies, it doesn't have the space the show did, but it feels like it barely develops misato at all. the stuff about wanting to have died with kaji and then choosing death to ensure the success of the mission (while wistfully thinking about the son who doesn't know her) just leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Hilario Baldness posted:

Kaji was amazing and to me probably the most adjusted human on the show. The way he dealt with Asuka endlessly throwing herself at him was hilarious. Like when he dropped off a drunk Misato and told Shinji to take care of her. Asuka was like, "You don't have to leave, you can stay here with me tonight," and he just responded, "I'd never live it down if I showed up to work in the same clothes I was wearing the night before," and just left.

modern hr would not be happy with his interaction with female employees though. he's definitely among the best adjusted in the series (maybe fuyutsuki is up there, at least when it comes to self awareness?), but i get why some people find him problematic, even if it sometimes gets overstated

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

rebuild was a very shinji focused story, which i get because even at 4 long movies, it doesn't have the space the show did, but it feels like it barely develops misato at all. the stuff about wanting to have died with kaji and then choosing death to ensure the success of the mission (while wistfully thinking about the son who doesn't know her) just leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Misato definitely suffers the most from not seeing her development during the time skip but it does make sense to me. Rebuild Misato is dealing with an additional 15 years of trauma after surviving 3rd impact and that has caused her to become even more like Shinji/Gendou.

The key thing for me is as much as the rest of the world blames Shinji for 3rd impact she blames herself for encouraging him in 2.22. After surviving 2nd impact, the idea that you caused the same disaster that defined your life to happen again would crush most people.

Her wanting to die with Kaji also makes sense when you consider what she's lost. For all she knows, she's responsible for 3rd impact and she probably saw sacrificing herself as a way to atone.

As for separating herself from her son it definitely is a tragic repeat of her own dynamic with her father. In Misato's case, the last time she tried to be a parental figure for someone she cared about the apocalypse happened. She probably genuinely believes that as much as she wants to be in her sons life she can only cause him more pain.

In the end, Misato is able to take responsibility for her part in 2.22 and advocate for Shinji again. While her big sacrifice could be seen as just another example of choosing death out of survival guilt, I saw it as her finally being able to fight by Shinji's side and support him. The fact her sacrifice is backed by a triumphant rendition of "Joy to the World" certainly made me think that in any case.

All that said I don't think the films do enough to establish Misato's arc. It's all there but because there's so much going on and the films are mostly from Shinji's pov anyone not directly connected to Shinjis plot suffers.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You know, this is bringing up the obvious, but it is important how, in such a Shinji focused series, we get a Mari focused action scene at the start of 2, 3, and 4.

It emphasizes her as someone with her own deal in a way that the other characters don't get, making her relationship with Shinji more equal.

This isn't Shinji and someone in Shinji's shadow. This is two people with their own lives coming together to run into a future free of what held them in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Shiroc posted:

It would be interesting to see the missing middle movie but it is kinda fitting to have the audience completely missing these huge events along with Shinji.

The bit in 3.0+1.0 where multiple people pull guns on him blaming him for everything that we barely understand is one of the funniest bits in the whole series.

It’s one of the best parts of Eva as a series. After so many years of lore theorizing, video game text file analysis and what have you, Evangelion is confusing to Eva fans again. You feel like Shinji. poo poo is hosed up, the Bible aliens are going crazy and everyone says it’s all your fault but you don’t know why. It’s as Evangelion as Evangelion can get.