Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I've been expecting the meeting of Vegapunk to essentially be a bunch of exposition for a decade now so I don't really mind as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I think not telling people things is intentionally being presented as a character flaw of Dragon. He didn’t tell Sabo or Ivankov what really happened to Kuma, after all. (OK, it’s theoretically possible that Dragon and Vegapunk hadn’t been in touch for a while, but someone else in this thread pointed out Dragon’s guilty reaction when Ivankov talks to him about Kuma.)

Maybe Dragon is comically the densest motherfucker of all time and just cannot for the life of him put two and two together or read the room in any situation regarding personal affairs

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
To be fair Dragon also never bothered telling anyone he had a son even after that son had become a world-famous pirate who'd gone to war with the world government. He's kind of an aloof rear end in a top hat who keeps secrets from everyone, including people who are close to him.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'm so happy for Robin. I cried.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
New most unbelievable thing in One Piece: Those books still being readable after months in a lake

Anyway if Vegapunk is really on the rebels side then I’m guessing there’ll be an Order 66 moment where all the pacifistas switch allegiance and the rebel army gains the upper hand.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

lih posted:

there's so much going on here

it's probably going to be that the giants took the last poneglyph to elbaf, and saul is the "man marked by flames"? wonder how he survived - aokiji's attack was "ice time capsule" so maybe unfreezing him after a while was deliberate? or someone else saved him?

Can't read Poneglyphs? Better Call Saul

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I'm so mad.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it also does conveniently give another way for other characters to figure out how to get to raftel because as-is it seemed like there wouldn't be that much competition, though blackbeard did at least kidnap pudding recently

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
At least we can finally retire the fan theory about that one white-eyed giant in Impel Down being Saul

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DeadBonesBrook posted:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

DeadBonesBrook posted:

poo poo

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Wait, so Elbaf is in danger. It's now the place everyone's gotta stop at if they want to reach One Piece.

But of the people gunning for One Piece now, Luffy's got Robin, Blackbeard just got Pudding, Law is in trouble and I'm sure Shanks has his own resources... will Kidd be the villain of the Elbaf arc? Threatening to kill Giants if they don't give him what he wants?

Alternately Pudding doesn't work out for Blackbeard, or else he just wants to kneecap the competition, he might try and burn the Will of Ohara.

Or, wait, no, I forgot about the most obvious option- if the Government finds out. Do you think they could Buster Call Elbaf?

The giants are clearly some of the most powerful people in the world, and I don't know that just anyone would be able to waltz in there and mess with them, but it seems like some people are definitely going to try.

Elbaf is suddenly looking like a much crazier and more relevant arc to world events than we would have assumed.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
To me it's starting to look like Egghead is gonna be the short arc that segues into the bigger one. The Punk Hazard before the Dressrosa, etc etc

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
vegapunk is franky's first real competitor for biggest freak in op.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

RatHat posted:

New most unbelievable thing in One Piece: Those books still being readable after months in a lake

The scholars of Ohara knew how taboo their research was, it's not out of the question that the giant lake next to the library/waterproofing the books within the library was an established contingency plan

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Scholtz posted:

Turns out that cutting your brain into several pieces? Not great for your health.

I wonder what the little apple top on his head does? Maybe it's a radar to stay in contact with his robot clones?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

DeadBonesBrook posted:

This would be :discourse: thread title after we get to Elbaf.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

DeadBonesBrook posted:

:sludgepal:

1066 Honestly I think a couple things are going on here. Vegapunk, turbo genius that he is, didn't put 2 and 2 together about Ohara until after he had read all the entire contents of the library and came to the same conclusion. Even if Dragon suspects the books are important, it would be incredibly unlikely that he knew why. Vegapunk could have maybe filled him at some point, it's not really clear when he read all of these books but it would obviously take time and one of two things has to be true. He either recently finished his theory and didn't poke his nose around subtly enough, which is why the government suddenly wants to kill the only guy keeping them a step ahead of the pirates. Or he's been sitting on this for a while and the government only just found out. Personally I think it's the former, just because it makes more sense that the government is panicking and tries to carpe the diem by sending one of their top hitters into Wano for an opportunistic shot at Luffy and/or Robin.

Also as a bunch of other people have pointed out, Dragon is just kind of Like That. I guess living your life on the run won't exactly make you much of a sharer. By the time Rogue One rolled around, Saw Guerara was pretty hosed up mentally and physically, Dragon doesn't even have a hentai tentacle truth detector to put his mind at ease.

Lpzie 2
Nov 1, 2022

When you elect nuts, you get squirrels!
good ch

widows peak 2

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Eiba posted:

Wait, so Elbaf is in danger. It's now the place everyone's gotta stop at if they want to reach One Piece.

But of the people gunning for One Piece now, Luffy's got Robin, Blackbeard just got Pudding, Law is in trouble and I'm sure Shanks has his own resources... will Kidd be the villain of the Elbaf arc? Threatening to kill Giants if they don't give him what he wants?

Alternately Pudding doesn't work out for Blackbeard, or else he just wants to kneecap the competition, he might try and burn the Will of Ohara.

Or, wait, no, I forgot about the most obvious option- if the Government finds out. Do you think they could Buster Call Elbaf?

The giants are clearly some of the most powerful people in the world, and I don't know that just anyone would be able to waltz in there and mess with them, but it seems like some people are definitely going to try.

Elbaf is suddenly looking like a much crazier and more relevant arc to world events than we would have assumed.

as far as we know no one has a copy of the last poneglyph anyway though, so anyone interested would have to visit if they learned it was located there. or just wait to steal it from someone else like blackbeard would

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Young Vegapunk might be the single least appealing character design in One Piece, I love it

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

DeadBonesBrook posted:

perfect username/post combo

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

DeadBonesBrook posted:

lmao

honestly it feels like the WG... should have checked the loving lake.idk. man thats convenient

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Aokiji def “checked” but guess he just didn’t find anything worth reporting. :shrug:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

anime was right posted:

lmao

honestly it feels like the WG... should have checked the loving lake.idk. man thats convenient

Click to find out one neat trick for hiding archeological knowledge! The World Government hates it!

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Buster Call Saul

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I am so happy we have finally come back to the books at the bottom of that lake

…god, that was….chapter 398 in …2006 O.O

Also worth mentioning you can absolutely recover books from being submerged underwater, recovering and repairing books taken up from wrecks/flooding/leaks is a whole process. It’s time intensive, but the giants seem like patient people in that regard.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 11, 2022

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Realistically I'm a-ok with cutting Oda slack on not having this completely worked out 10 years ago when Robin was hanging out with Dragon.

Story wise, there's enough of a trend of people withholding information until there's something actionable on it that it doesn't bother me too much. Presumably Dragon didn't read the books, so he might not have followed up on the importance of them. Or he understood Saul was in hiding and didn't want Robin who has a massive target on her back B-lining it to him. Or just similarly having her accidentally lead CP9 or whatever to Elbaf where they could discover the books, etc.

It's been sprinkled that Vegapunk doesn't think he has much time left, and isn't yet done sharing info with them, so we'll see!

Also, expository flashbacks are kind of one of Oda's strong suits so :shrug: if you've made it this far and aren't on board.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I loving love one piece

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

anime was right posted:

lmao

Keep in mind that the operation to wipe Ohara was run by Spandam's dad, an infamously incompetent and self-preserving motherfucker

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Saul is going to find out that Robin finally met people who love her :)

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

If Aokiji didn't kill Saul he also probably froze over the lake "accidentally" leaving it inaccessible to the WG during a buster call

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Can't read Poneglyphs? Buster Call Saul

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Scholtz posted:

If Aokiji didn't kill Saul he also probably froze over the lake "accidentally" leaving it inaccessible to the WG during a buster call

Thinking back on it, it IS a little odd that Aokiji would be actually ON the island at all during an operation like the Buster Call, right? He was there as a Vice Admiral, which I believe means he's supposed to be on one of the ships commanding the bombardment of an island that is being bombed into oblivion. If he was just there to do that job, why disembark at all?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
the marines did find the books though...they apparently were just lazy and didn't feel like dragging them out of the lake though/were incompetent. Start of ch 398.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I had forgotten about that! I suppose the only reasonable explanation at this point is that the need of secrecy was seen as so great from the higher ups, that the rank-and-file weren't even told about the books' importance. Even then, you'd expect the Secret Elders would have a crack squad of absolute loyalists go and take care of it before the Giants would have an opportunity.

Maybe they really did trust Spandem's dad with operating everything, including the sort of cleanup that would cover this? It was mentioned a few pages ago, and that could also explain it; the man was wildly incompetent. I guess it works as the Celestial Dragons' penchant for nepotism biting them in the rear end, though.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

anime was right posted:

lmao

The Navy did in the aftermath of Ohara, you get a page where the Marines find the books in the lake.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Julias posted:

the marines did find the books though...they apparently were just lazy and didn't feel like dragging them out of the lake though/were incompetent. Start of ch 398.

They probably assumed the lake would have ruined them and only an utterly insane person would try fishing them out.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Vegapunk just told us that the WG doesn't actually keep him in the loop too much, I wouldn't be surprised if we find out there's more going on there and something has happened to Elbaf/the books, or is about to. This just feels like too much good news, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and for a den den mushi to pipe in announcing the successful assault on Elbaf or something.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Julias posted:

They decided that it WAS just a coincidence :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Q =/= E