Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

mabels big day posted:

My only issue with all of this it feels like a little too much blatant exposition. That was a lot of information dumped onto us through the straw hats literally being a captive audience. The scenario makes sense and all, and it's all stuff we need to get through, but I can't help but imagine there's a world where we have more time and it comes out a little more naturally somehow.
oda isn't as healthy as he was a decade ago and it's time to start paying off the questions asked 10, 15 years ago, sure it's not so organic but I'm just relieved it's not oda introducing another mystery and that it didn't take several chapters to reveal that saul had been alive

Eiba posted:

Wait, so Elbaf is in danger. It's now the place everyone's gotta stop at if they want to reach One Piece.

But of the people gunning for One Piece now, Luffy's got Robin, Blackbeard just got Pudding, Law is in trouble and I'm sure Shanks has his own resources... will Kidd be the villain of the Elbaf arc? Threatening to kill Giants if they don't give him what he wants?

Alternately Pudding doesn't work out for Blackbeard, or else he just wants to kneecap the competition, he might try and burn the Will of Ohara.

Or, wait, no, I forgot about the most obvious option- if the Government finds out. Do you think they could Buster Call Elbaf?

The giants are clearly some of the most powerful people in the world, and I don't know that just anyone would be able to waltz in there and mess with them, but it seems like some people are definitely going to try.

Elbaf is suddenly looking like a much crazier and more relevant arc to world events than we would have assumed.
big hat/saucer laser time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Vegapunk just told us that the WG doesn't actually keep him in the loop too much, I wouldn't be surprised if we find out there's more going on there and something has happened to Elbaf/the books, or is about to. This just feels like too much good news, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and for a den den mushi to pipe in announcing the successful assault on Elbaf or something.

I think there's going to be an invasion of Elbaf with the Seraphim but it might be during the Elbaf arc itself. Like the others above said, I think it would be the perfect place for a confrontation with Akainu and the Marines right before the final stretch vs Blackbeard (and maybe Shanks)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Terper posted:

Young Vegapunk might be the single least appealing character design in One Piece, I love it
Yeah absolutely grotesque. I thought Oda had lost his mind until I saw the older version.

Murdering Saul was always uncharacteristically brutal for Aokiji so Saul's survival was not an out of left field surprise.

I guess the question now is if devil fruits were the result of technology or were used to combat technology.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I was a little disappointed with how not weird the Hexapunks were

But gently caress
gently caress
Original vegapunk

Goddamn
Its everything i ever wanted and more

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
is Vegapunk Perospero's dad

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Waffleman_ posted:

God, I know we've had the satellites for a bit, but....it's Vegapunk! It's goddamn Vegapunk!

I know! :woop: And he's easily one of the weirdest designs in the series! gently caress me I love Oda.

mabels big day posted:

Maybe Dragon is comically the densest motherfucker of all time and just cannot for the life of him put two and two together or read the room in any situation regarding personal affairs

Extremely appropriate for Luffys dad, I believe it.

Countblanc posted:

is Vegapunk Perospero's dad

considering how genetics work in OP, probably. For another example, see Beges kid being born with stubble.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 11, 2022

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Next chapter:

Vegapunk: By the way do you want to know how devil fruits work?

Luffy: No.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Plutonis posted:

I think there's going to be an invasion of Elbaf with the Seraphim but it might be during the Elbaf arc itself. Like the others above said, I think it would be the perfect place for a confrontation with Akainu and the Marines right before the final stretch vs Blackbeard (and maybe Shanks)

I still think the final confrontation with akainu/the marines is gonna be a repeat of whitebeard's assault on marineford

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

The world government lets Vegapunk work remotely from his own personal research island because they don't want to look directly at him.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
Man I love that holy trinity of reading scans, where you get the first version poorly scanned and machine translated, the second version scanned and translated well with some ambiguity, and then the official version fully cleaned up, anglicized and made easy. One piece is almost always easy from the get go, but reading HunterxHunter is an exercise at squinting at :words:

Anyway, loving the designs lately The vegapunks have ranged from cool to okay, but Vegaprime is up there for my favorite designs in one piece. He's so grotesque with the 55head, with the lead up in the chapter of seeing his wacky silhouette into that was a great moment. Old vegaprime is really good, with the much cleaner einstein look and the empty apple head. The apples been picked clean, there's nothing left in there but the core, it's great. Also the background robot knight is very cool, and I know it's going to get a moment to do it's thing, here's rooting for you Robo-King.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I love the panel of Clover standing at the front of his ship and waving a sword like a mad man with the dialog bubbles describing him as a famous archeology professor. The guy was One Piece's Indiana Jones

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Brandfarlig posted:

Extremely appropriate for Luffys dad, I believe it.

I can't wait for the chapter where Luffy and Dragon meet, and we finally find out that Dragon is actually a goofball just like his dad and son. Show us the grim leader of the revolution making a cartoonish face, Oda!!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

he totally knew goddammit

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Edit: I forgot I had my VPN on for Japan :v:

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 11, 2022

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm not rereading One Piece until it is over, but when I do it is going to be like reading with my third eye open.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
There are certain moments when a character supposedly dies in One Piece, only to be shown later to have survived. For most of these fake deaths, their revival has not lead to much, if anything at all. For Saul especially, I hope his involvement is actually meaningful to the story. Nonetheless, it looks like we are going Elbaf.

Anyway, Vegapunk has an interesting design. Also his head seems to have shrunk now that he has split off into other beings.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Begemot posted:

I can't wait for the chapter where Luffy and Dragon meet, and we finally find out that Dragon is actually a goofball just like his dad and son. Show us the grim leader of the revolution making a cartoonish face, Oda!!

It's only a matter of time.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

great chapter

but also

Rubberduke posted:

Buster Call Saul

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Flair posted:

There are certain moments when a character supposedly dies in One Piece, only to be shown later to have survived. For most of these fake deaths, their revival has not lead to much, if anything at all. For Saul especially, I hope his involvement is actually meaningful to the story.

For me, the meaning is what the meaning is for our core cast; I'm not the biggest fan of Sabo or how he was integrated, but Luffy's reaction to finding out he was still alive makes me appreciate him more. To make Robin burst into tears of joy is such a reverse gut-punch from Saul's death and so uncharacteristic of who she is makes it meaningful to me here. It can be really rug-pully how often goes to the well, but in situations like this I don't care in the slightest because it works so drat well for the emotion of the reveal.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they were always going to elbaf, but now it ties into the main plot. it's the endgame, so probably no more random adventure islands.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Terper posted:

Young Vegapunk might be the single least appealing character design in One Piece, I love it

I saw that design and laughed for like 5 minutes straight. Absolutely worth the 15 years of waiting, it's perfect

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Rubberduke posted:

Buster Call Saul

Come Monday this had better be the thread title.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i guess we are pretty confirmed then that the spacePirates are vegapunk's allies or affiliates in some way

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My loving lord, that Vegapunk design

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

tbp posted:

i guess we are pretty confirmed then that the spacePirates are vegapunk's allies or affiliates in some way

I don't remember any of them loo- ohhhhhhhh

Is he the secret leader of the space pirates? Is Enel going to come down and attack the island as part of an ongoing feud??? :tinfoil:

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Julias posted:

the marines did find the books though...they apparently were just lazy and didn't feel like dragging them out of the lake though/were incompetent. Start of ch 398.

That just raises further questions!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Begemot posted:

Is he the secret leader of the space pirates? Is Enel going to come down and attack the island as part of an ongoing feud??? :tinfoil:

God dammit all the dominoes are falling

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

me, confused, lifts all the knowledge of Ohara with my hands: please. My wets.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Man if nothing else Oda never disappoints with goofy rear end character design.It's what initially put me off the series years ago, but I've been beaten over the head enough to love it 1984 style.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Begemot posted:

oh gently caress we're going to the space factory, too?! this arc has everything. :stare: hell, with Germa 66 having stolen Cesar, they might have a role here, too

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Begemot posted:

Source? I never noticed that before. :aaaaa:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

That final panel has me thinking Oda used that classic photo of Einstein as inspiration. I love young Vegapunk's design so much, it's just so stupid. This meeting with Vegapunk has been everything I've wanted it to be, and then some. God One Piece rules.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Source? I never noticed that before. :aaaaa:

There are 2 space pirates we see, both have huge top hats with that logo.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

MorningMoon posted:

There are 2 space pirates we see, both have huge top hats with that logo.

this is a few chapters after koby first mentions vegapunk ........... makes you think

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Nikumatic posted:

For me, the meaning is what the meaning is for our core cast; I'm not the biggest fan of Sabo or how he was integrated, but Luffy's reaction to finding out he was still alive makes me appreciate him more. To make Robin burst into tears of joy is such a reverse gut-punch from Saul's death and so uncharacteristic of who she is makes it meaningful to me here. It can be really rug-pully how often goes to the well, but in situations like this I don't care in the slightest because it works so drat well for the emotion of the reveal.

Out of all the fakeouts, Pell's fake death probably irks me the most.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

You always remember your first.

(fuckin same)

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

RatHat posted:

New most unbelievable thing in One Piece: Those books still being readable after months in a lake

Ive been thinking about the books in Ohara for a decade now, and they throw a LOT of books in that lake, you can see the books from the surface of the water. The solution Ive came up with is that the weight of all the books compressed the stack of books enmough that enough water was kept out to at least somewhat preserve some of them. So all the books in the middle of the pile could maybe be salvageable. The more incredible thing is that the WG didnt blight the lake after seeing the books thrown into it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Again, the officers checking the island probably didn't know the significance of the books and just assumed them destroyed so they probably didn't report it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Meme Emulator posted:

Ive been thinking about the books in Ohara for a decade now, and they throw a LOT of books in that lake, you can see the books from the surface of the water. The solution Ive came up with is that the weight of all the books compressed the stack of books enmough that enough water was kept out to at least somewhat preserve some of them. So all the books in the middle of the pile could maybe be salvageable. The more incredible thing is that the WG didnt blight the lake after seeing the books thrown into it

Just as plausible that they just waterproofed the books. You get the sense they knew they were playing with fire (heh heh) and might have had this in mind as a failsafe to make sure the knowledge prevailed. Works well as most people would assume the water would destroy them anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Oh, so they're magic books.

I wonder if the books Vegapunk memorized has been put into a specific body who won't share it with the strawhats for whatever reason. It seems like it's in Daft Vegapunk, who seems friendly enough. But that could be misdirection.