Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Johnny Truant posted:

Nope, this is the new plywood I bought smelling like poo poo

Some plywood smells terrible. I think lauan/meranit smell like stale dog piss and alot of the import vietnam/china birch I use doesn't smell great either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Johnny Truant posted:

Nope, this is the new plywood I bought smelling like poo poo

maybe someone shat on your plywood

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

NomNomNom posted:

Uhhh yeah plywood shouldn't smell like much of anything besides wood.

Yeah and that wood smells like poo poo

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Red oak for real smells like dogshit sometimes.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah it's like a really stale combo of wood and desiccated, faint poop, lol

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Some woods smell different, yeah. Red oak is nasty, cedar is lovely.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Huh I've never in my life noticed a bad smell from plywood. Maybe it's not as common here in Canada or something?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

VelociBacon posted:

Huh I've never in my life noticed a bad smell from plywood. Maybe it's not as common here in Canada or something?

Maybe Canada just smells like farts?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Slugworth posted:

Maybe Canada just smells like farts?

It's definitely smelled a lot worse since August 9th 2021.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Twisted my knee like a week ago crawling through the attic, from the access in the garage to the complete opposite side of the house, to repair the metal cloth on the inside of the gable vent. We haven't moved in yet, and I brought a large flashlight from our rental. Unbeknownst to me, that flashlight turns off after about a second, so I ended up doing it all with my phone flashlight.

The heating duct ran along the center of the attic in a way that prevented me from just going down the center beam. The struts were the only thing to really stand on, so while crouching, and hanging onto the posts I had to crouch while stepping to the next strut and adjusting myself before doing it again.

I hope I never have to go up there again. It's a miracle I didn't put my foot through the ceiling.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I just finished redoing the floor in my master bathroom and will be piecemealing the rest of its upgrades, but one that I might bump up in the to-do just is the bathroom fan, except I know very little about them!

Is a stronger fan always better? Are they generally a 'universal' size? Any brands/styles to avoid? Anything to keep an eye out for when looking for them? I just purchased a timed switch to replace the normal single switch, does it matter if I install it before the fan?

It seems like a project I should be able to complete in a few hours, which means it'll probably take a full day of my time, lol

Fake edit: shot of my new flooring cause I think it looks pretty nice!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
you need a minimum CFM for a given bathroom and you probably wanna replace your fan with the same size ceiling cutout but beyond that it's just a matter of how much you wanna spend. More expensive ones have bluetooth speakers, heating elements, and run quietly. Personally, i like louder bathroom fans to obscure my activities :ninja: but i'm in the minority on that one

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

I just finished redoing the floor in my master bathroom and will be piecemealing the rest of its upgrades, but one that I might bump up in the to-do just is the bathroom fan, except I know very little about them!

Is a stronger fan always better? Are they generally a 'universal' size? Any brands/styles to avoid? Anything to keep an eye out for when looking for them? I just purchased a timed switch to replace the normal single switch, does it matter if I install it before the fan?

I've put in a few Broan's and they have been OK. The plasticky parts gave me grief when trying to route the vent pipe. The ones I put into my previous house I had attic access and it was a really easy process. I put it one into the new place with no access above and it was definitely more challenging to finagle it all up and in. The Broan's come with a removable frame if new construction, or slide into place if remodel. The vent pipe style and mounting method was the biggest driver of how lovely the task was. The first time I did it I tried to use the original garbage vent pipe and suffered. The latest one I put in I used the highest quality pre-insulated stuff and it was great.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Nice, thanks for the tips! Bluetooth speaker in the fan is honestly a good idea but definitely not worth the pricetag for me currently.

I'm betting that the venting is hosed eight ways from Sunday, sooooo that'll be fun. Guess I should pop my head into my attic to scope it out before making a run to HD, in case I need to buy an entire fuckin vent package or something.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I recently installed a bathroom exhaust vent in a bathroom that did not previously have one, and thought I was doing it The Right Way using rigid ducting. I probably was but it was a real bitch and life would have probably been much easier if I'd bought a couple sections of the insulated exhaust duct instead.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Using rigid ducting for a bathroom fan just seems like it'd cause problems when it comes time to replace it with something else. Not sure I see a lot of benefit using it for such an undemanding application.

I'm sure it's pretty satisfying seeing it set up, though.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Using rigid ducting for a bathroom fan just seems like it'd cause problems when it comes time to replace it with something else. Not sure I see a lot of benefit using it for such an undemanding application.

I'm sure it's pretty satisfying seeing it set up, though.

lol that's a problem for the next guy

I added flexible ducting to the last foot of it where it connects to the actual fan to make life easier in the future.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Sirotan posted:

I recently installed a bathroom exhaust vent in a bathroom that did not previously have one, and thought I was doing it The Right Way using rigid ducting. I probably was but it was a real bitch and life would have probably been much easier if I'd bought a couple sections of the insulated exhaust duct instead.

I did the insulated flex duct. It was nice. I used stainless steel zip ties for position and finished it with hose clamps.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Huh, I never would've even thought of insulated ducting!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I replaced one of our bathroom's fan with a quieter one because it is next to our baby's room and now instead of people not using the fan because it's too loud, they're not using it because it's not loud enough to hide their farts.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

BAE OF PIGS posted:

The heating duct ran along the center of the attic in a way that prevented me from just going down the center beam. The struts were the only thing to really stand on, so while crouching, and hanging onto the posts I had to crouch while stepping to the next strut and adjusting myself before doing it again.

I hope I never have to go up there again. It's a miracle I didn't put my foot through the ceiling.

I have three attics that are plywood sheeted but the 4th is joists. I spent a few hundred bucks on this and have not regretted it. Loftzone makes a steel version but you lose some height.

You will for sure have to go back up there for *something*.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It also depends on what you mean by "stronger." There's a point of diminishing returns where evaporation won't keep up with airflow, at which point you're just sucking conditioned air out of your house and not drying your bathroom out any faster. There are calculators you can use to estimate airflow based on the size of your bathroom and you probably don't want to drastically exceed those numbers.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Got my radon mitigation installed. When I moved in they were like "it measured 2.5... you're fine."

But that was over a 48 hour schedule. We're in a notorious Radon heavy "finger" of granite under our county so I got my own meter. It measured fine for the first month or so and then the weather started to change a little and it leapt up to about 10 and has been sitting at between 7-10 pCi/L for a few months.

Decided to get some mitigation installed since it's relatively cheap and it immediately dropped down to .05 pCi/L and is staying steady there.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So as a follow up to my foundation cable adventure, had an engineer come out and they are going to run a new one through my foundation from one side to the other. Looks like the previous one just snapped in the middle and thankfully didn't come up through our floor inside the house.

Going to be about $600 all told to replace. Though of course, they warned us, that there was no guarantee that the other cables in our foundation wouldn't do the same thing down the road, but nothing they can really do about that until the cables actually fail.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
SUPER

Supposed to get a new washer/dryer delivered this morning.

Washer got smashed up pretty good in transit... big old dent on bottom corner on the back. Thankfully the guy showed me, rather than trying to sneak it past. So now we have a new dryer and the old grungy washer. Sad to see it next to the new shiny dryer...

Still waiting on a call back for re-delivery... have 2 kids, so we didn't let them haul away the old washer. Can't be more than a few days without it. I'm led to believe we should see it before the end of the week, but :shrug:

Johnny Truant posted:

Huh, I never would've even thought of insulated ducting!

IIRC it's required when venting through places like the attic. I believe it's to prevent condensation from forming on the duct and dripping all over your attic (you're potentially pushing air conditioned air through a 120F+ humid attic, depending on where you live).

Re: Things to watch out for:

Panasonic is a pretty well known brand. We replaced our master bath exhaust with one and it's a million times quieter. Fairly easy install.

Something to make sure of is that you know the exhaust duct size so you can match it up. Your new fan might be able to take multiple sizes, but double check.

Also check where electrical is coming in... for us, the new fan had the electrical on the opposite side, and the wire wasn't long enough to reach, so I had to hack in a handy box to make a splice (which I'm led to believe is kosher since it's in the attic and accessible).

Also check the physical dimensions... for us, the replacement was larger, which wouldn't have been a problem except for some reason the sewer vent stack ran RIGHT next to the loving fan... so it was a tight fit.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 14, 2022

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Hi...wtf is this tool? I bought it in a lot of old garden tools at an estate sale and I could identify everything save for this strange implement.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I'm probably wrong, but it looks like a sponge mop.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
It is indeed a sponge mop - minus the sponge.

There was a sponge (think, large dish sponge) on the bottom that, when gotten too dirty, you'd use the vertical half to squeeze out.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

God I feel old right now. Yeah, that's a sponge mop.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Quickie-051TRI-Super-Squeeze-Sponge-Mop/21803653

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Rad, thank you, definitely a mop. Fortuitous because I need a new one, the cheap plastic piece of crap sponge mop I got from target broke. This thing looks 30-40 years old. Now to find compatible sponges ...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Zil posted:

So as a follow up to my foundation cable adventure, had an engineer come out and they are going to run a new one through my foundation from one side to the other. Looks like the previous one just snapped in the middle and thankfully didn't come up through our floor inside the house.

Going to be about $600 all told to replace. Though of course, they warned us, that there was no guarantee that the other cables in our foundation wouldn't do the same thing down the road, but nothing they can really do about that until the cables actually fail.

Thanks for following up. That seems like basically the best possible outcome, I was expecting to hear the foundations were unrepairable or something.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks for following up. That seems like basically the best possible outcome, I was expecting to hear the foundations were unrepairable or something.

They said that since it was just one cable that failed its an easy repair. If multiple had failed at the same time then that would have been more serious.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Zil posted:

They said that since it was just one cable that failed its an easy repair. If multiple had failed at the same time then that would have been more serious.

foreeeeshaddowwwinggg

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

BonoMan posted:

foreeeeshaddowwwinggg

I know, but trying not to think about it.

:negative:

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Why the gently caress did the previous owners have so many molly anchors?

:sigh:

Edit:

BAE OF PIGS fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 15, 2022

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Zil posted:

Mazel tov!

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Re bath fans, I replaced the two upstairs bath fans and the laundry closet fan with some extra quiet Broan units, because they were easy to retrofit as replacements for the builder-installed Broan models. Our main floor powder room kept the original standard (loud) fan.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
My father in law took it upon himself to replace the fan in our half bath with a very quiet one and I didn’t think much of it at the time but now I think about it every time I hear our guests peeing.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I wish there was a specially loud one. I guess you can just go by the sones or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Inner Light posted:

I wish there was a specially loud one. I guess you can just go by the sones or something

As the IT at work I hooked up a sound bar to a Raspberry Pi to boot up and automatically blast a few dozen classic rock albums on loop in the office bathrooms, and the guys praised me for it. Oddly the women hated it and had theirs removed right away (I even had the foresight to do 50/50 male/female vocalists) but the men’s bathroom sound bar ran for 10 years straight.

I guess you could do something like that for parties at home, just don’t buy Sonos, they’re overpriced and run by shitlords.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 16, 2022