Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

Looking for any good movies with a similar mood or tone to The Verdict. It's got a very particular kind of sadness to it. About lost opportunity, growing old and being weary from the weight of a harsh world, and doing one last good deed despite the odds stacked against you. It's a melancholy movie that is weirdly cozy. McCabe & Mrs. Miller is a bit in that vein, I think. Anything else?

The Wrestler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Origami Dali posted:

Looking for any good movies with a similar mood or tone to The Verdict. It's got a very particular kind of sadness to it. About lost opportunity, growing old and being weary from the weight of a harsh world, and doing one last good deed despite the odds stacked against you. It's a melancholy movie that is weirdly cozy. McCabe & Mrs. Miller is a bit in that vein, I think. Anything else?

The Insider, a low-key great from Michael Mann
The Crossing Guard, a stellar Nicholson performance
Clean and Sober, a moody Michael Keaton

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.

Origami Dali posted:

About lost opportunity, growing old and being weary from the weight of a harsh world, and doing one last good deed despite the odds stacked against you.

Ikiru

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I watched The Hunt for the Red October for the first time ever, and really enjoyed how it differs from modern action/thrillers. Maybe it's the 90's, slower pace, less bombastic, less reliance on CGI, less joke-y stuff or something (it felt downright cozy), but are there any modern equivalent films of this type? The fact it had submarines was completely irrelevant for me to be honest.

I should probably rewatch bunch of 90's action thriller films I don't remember a thing about but I genuinely am wondering if anything more modern approaches this kind of a film? Could be a fairly known box office hit, I'm not a big film buff. But contrasting away from modern action films and marvel-like stuff.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy from 2011

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

magic cactus posted:

Anyone have an recommendations for documentaries similar to Into Great Silence? Watched that one recently and I really like its minimal dialogue and focus on letting the sounds and pace of life at the monastery envelop the viewer, without really going into "talking head" type stuff. Subject matter can be secular or religious. Thanks for any recommendations!

Faya Dayi
Baraka/Samsara

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Dessel posted:

I watched The Hunt for the Red October for the first time ever, and really enjoyed how it differs from modern action/thrillers. Maybe it's the 90's, slower pace, less bombastic, less reliance on CGI, less joke-y stuff or something (it felt downright cozy), but are there any modern equivalent films of this type? The fact it had submarines was completely irrelevant for me to be honest.

I should probably rewatch bunch of 90's action thriller films I don't remember a thing about but I genuinely am wondering if anything more modern approaches this kind of a film? Could be a fairly known box office hit, I'm not a big film buff. But contrasting away from modern action films and marvel-like stuff.

The other Jack Ryan movies from that time period really hold up :

Clear and Present Danger
Patriot Games

More modern stuff like it? Fewer and farther between, I second the Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy recommendation and would add :

A Most Wanted Man
The Bridge of Spies
The Constant Gardener
The Night Manager (the one with Hugh Laurie)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Origami Dali posted:

The Straight Story is a letter-perfect fit

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

morestuff posted:

Leviathan is great, but make sure it’s not the narrative feature that came out around the same time. Manakamana from the same folks too

Manakamana is a Harvard Sensory Ethnography Lab project but it’s by not the same directors as Leviathan. The directors of Leviathan did go on to do an absolutely wild documentary about famous cannibal Issei Sagawa, Caniba, and a recent documentary about the human body by way of surgeries and autopsies called De Humani Corporis Fabrica. They definitely have more in common with Leviathan than Manakamana, but one of the two (Lucien Casting Taylor) also co directed Sweetgrass, which is a similar vibe to what the op is looking for

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

DeimosRising posted:

Manakamana is a Harvard Sensory Ethnography Lab project but it’s by not the same directors as Leviathan. The directors of Leviathan did go on to do an absolutely wild documentary about famous cannibal Issei Sagawa, Caniba, and a recent documentary about the human body by way of surgeries and autopsies called De Humani Corporis Fabrica. They definitely have more in common with Leviathan than Manakamana, but one of the two (Lucien Casting Taylor) also co directed Sweetgrass, which is a similar vibe to what the op is looking for

Good to know!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I recommend them all, but as you might expect from the subject matter Caniba and De Humani Corporis Fabrica are pretty rough watches

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

regulargonzalez posted:

The Straight Story is a letter-perfect fit
Omg yes. Also Gran Turismo.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

The other Jack Ryan movies from that time period really hold up :

Clear and Present Danger
Patriot Games

More modern stuff like it? Fewer and farther between, I second the Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy recommendation and would add :

A Most Wanted Man
The Bridge of Spies
The Constant Gardener
The Night Manager (the one with Hugh Laurie)

Thanks for these recommendations (and the previous poster), I was considering the highly rated Jack Ryan films of the time. I'll definitely check them out and report back on them once I'm done with my backlog

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Hi guys! Looking for movies, idealy animated and ~PG content, with redemption conclusions. Good example is Moana. Thanks!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
ParaNorman!

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

The Bad Guys

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

100% this

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

parthenocarpy posted:

Hi guys! Looking for movies, idealy animated and ~PG content, with redemption conclusions. Good example is Moana. Thanks!

A Goofy Movie

Kedzie
Dec 13, 2004

they all float down here

parthenocarpy posted:

Encanto

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Toy Story.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Wreck It Ralph
Rumble
Ron's Gone Wrong
The Willoughbys
Mitchells vs The Machines

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Does CD have a "10 movies I really liked this year" thread? Looking for stuff to watch over the holidays.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Dessel posted:

Thanks for these recommendations (and the previous poster), I was considering the highly rated Jack Ryan films of the time. I'll definitely check them out and report back on them once I'm done with my backlog

Very late, but Crimson Tide is a great one from this era, too. Has a similar feel to Red October but with flashier tony Scott direction and some unmistakable Tarantino dialogue (he did punch up). Denzel and Hackman are terrific.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I have a weird craving for a good horror movie with a demon villain whose ambitions aim higher than "inflict relatively juvenile terror on some random family for kicks". I don't know why I keep inflicting James Wan movies upon myself and would love for a palate cleanser where the antagonist isn't just some petty pest to send the roach patrol after.

Surely an effectively immortal and profoundly evil being has far better things to do with its time?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I don’t know if “weird sex stuff” is more or less ambitious than that but you might enjoy the first couple Hellraisers.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

I have a weird craving for a good horror movie with a demon villain whose ambitions aim higher than "inflict relatively juvenile terror on some random family for kicks". I don't know why I keep inflicting James Wan movies upon myself and would love for a palate cleanser where the antagonist isn't just some petty pest to send the roach patrol after.

Surely an effectively immortal and profoundly evil being has far better things to do with its time?

Noroi : The Curse is a found footage Japanese movie, it's more about the researcher following the demon. Kind of in the neighborhood of what you're after

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Renting a cabin for New Years with the possibility of being snowed in. What’s some good frozen horror? Shining and the Thing of course, but any deeper cuts?

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Renting a cabin for New Years with the possibility of being snowed in. What’s some good frozen horror? Shining and the Thing of course, but any deeper cuts?

Not really "horror" but a few films I remember about being hopeless and stuck in the cold:

Misery
The Terror (season 1)
Arctic
Hateful Eight
The Revenant

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

30 Days of Night (2007)
The Grey (2011)
Curtains (1983)
The Dead Zone (1983)
The Brood (1979)

The last one especially is stretching it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Whiteout is a thriller not a horror but def is based around it being wicked cold and snowy and is set in Anrarctica

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The Lodge
Frozen (2010, not the musical)
Blackcoats Daughter
The Last Winter (Ron Perlman!)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The North Water (series, not really horror)
Dead Snow

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Cugel the Clever posted:

The Omen (and its sequels, with quickly diminishing returns) seems an obvious choice

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

Murnau's Faust (1926)

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I still haven't gotten around to watching it but I believe "The Terror" series would fit.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Cugel the Clever posted:

The Wailing

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Thanks for the recs, all! Looks like a good mix of classics I've for some reason never gotten to and newer foreign films I'd otherwise not have heard of.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
need recommendations for what's good on the criterion channel. i got a month because I thought it had Straw Dogs but apparently it doesn't.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

escape artist posted:

need recommendations for what's good on the criterion channel. i got a month because I thought it had Straw Dogs but apparently it doesn't.

This playlist of the Sight and Sound Directors Choice list is a great start :
https://www.criterionchannel.com/sight-and-sound-directors-greatest-films-of-all-time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

parthenocarpy posted:

Kubo & the two Strings

escape artist posted:

This is gonna vary greatly person to person, but I'll throw out a couple:

F for Fake
La Haine
House
My Life as a Dog
Yojimbo
Young Girls of Rochefort
Dead Man
The Exterminating Angel
Juliet of the Spirits
Shaolin Soccer

edit: some of the ones I originally listed were removed