Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Where did you buy?

Apple iBooks store.

e: terrible page snipe, so content: the last sample chapter is up at tor. https://www.tor.com/2022/11/14/read-the-lost-metal-by-brandon-sanderson-chapter-nineteen/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Anyone know if setting a VPN to Australia and/or changing device time can trick Amazon Kindle to download earlier?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Last I knew it was tied to your billing address

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Just finished.

Ah drat. I can't even feel sorry for Wayne, since he went out in the most Wayne way possible.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

rndmnmbr posted:

Just finished.

huge spoiler

Me neither.

Also, Brandon REALLY likes to write characters that use humor to cover for their lack of self worth.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 15, 2022

stellae
Oct 3, 2021

A lurker in poster's clothing
I've seen the author say online that one of the stories in Arcanum Unbounded is relevant to The Lost Metal. Do those who have finished the book think that it's necessary to have read the series he's talking about beforehand, and if so, which series is it? I've only read Mistborn and Stormlight, and I don't particularly care about being spoiled on any of the other series if it spoils them. My only concern is whether or not I need to backread another series before I pick up The Lost Metal. Thanks.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

stellae posted:

I've seen the author say online that one of the stories in Arcanum Unbounded is relevant to The Lost Metal. Do those who have finished the book think that it's necessary to have read the series he's talking about beforehand, and if so, which series is it? I've only read Mistborn and Stormlight, and I don't particularly care about being spoiled on any of the other series if it spoils them. My only concern is whether or not I need to backread another series before I pick up The Lost Metal. Thanks.

Yes, the relevant part is Mistborn: Secret History which has huge hooks into Mistborn and some into Stormlight.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I should not have moused over those spoilers.

PSA: LOST METAL IS COMING OUT TODAY DON'T CLICK THE BALCK BARS!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

M_Gargantua posted:

YUP. SAME.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

lol yup same, they jumped straight to the highest level spoilers

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Sorry about that. Edited my post to remove it.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

I love spoilers. Now I'm psyched to read the book to see how it happens!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I can't believe MeLaan tells Wayne that he was an incredible bang, best in history

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Just to sate my curiosity until tomorrow, can someone tell me if Wax became mistborn from inhaling stuff? That's all I want to know, the whole seeing lines after the explosion is eating at me.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Just to sate my curiosity until tomorrow, can someone tell me if Wax became mistborn from inhaling stuff? That's all I want to know, the whole seeing lines after the explosion is eating at me.

Sent a DM to answer this.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Everytime someone says DM I feel old. In my day we called it a PM!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I would like to wish you all a very merry Finding of Metals Day.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

M_Gargantua posted:

I juuuuust barely stopped myself from tapping. I can't listen to 18 hours of audiobook tomorrow so I'll have to take a couple of days off from this thread. Happy reading, everyone, hope we'll all reconvene in happy awe.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Actually, I’m going to unbookmark this thread so I don’t give in to weakness. See y’all in a week when I finish my audiobook.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I stopped reading this thread once the chapter spoilers started coming out but now today I woke up to a Notification on my phone announcing that The Lost Metal has been added to my library :toot:

Really should have done a reread of Era 2, it's been a while, but dang I'm excited for this work day to end already.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

That could definitely be a factor. I think we're meant to at least assume that Rayse agreeing to a contest of champions but then playing silly semantic games of "but I didn't agree when! haha!" is pissing off the Odium shard. Oaths are a very, very big deal to Shards; breaking his is what left Preservation open to Ruin killing him.

That is a pretty intriguing explanation and it definitely makes sense to me as well.

So I did come around to Shallan in WoR and OB. I remain convinced she sucks in RoW, though.

Somebody elsewhere wondered why Kal's mental problems are more easily forgiven or tolerated than Shallan's. I think it has to do with Kaladin suffering traumatic event after traumatic event in the books while Shallan's life is pretty drat great. Her problems are all in the distant past and so it's frustrating to see this character with everything you could ever want in life being more and more miserable. Kal's life is falling apart while Shallan's is, in every substantive respect, better than it's ever been.

There's also her continued association with the Ghostbloods. Mraize puts on a nice face now but her second interaction with him was how he murdered her carriage driver. She knows what he is and should have cut off any contact with them forever ago, or at least told somebody about it.

I think there's also the mater of her antagonistic relationship with Pattern which is what's really irking me in this book. Kal never mistreated Sil while Shallan is furious about Pattern's "betrayal" but never actually talks to him about it or lets him explain what was really going on. I'm on Part 4 right now, I remember where this all goes more or less, and this just makes me want to bang my head against the wall even more and scream at her to listen for once.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shallan is also super racist, and is vocally blind to it in a very familiar and grating way.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

2/3 of the way through lost metal spoilers (but not plot specifics) brandon did a really fantastic job reintroducing Elantrian magic and giving the first showcase of Aethers, i love both of these crafty nerds

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Finished part 1 of The Lost Metal today I think what Harmony said to Wax imoes that he's learning that he can act faster, so long as he hurts people. I think he'll still be shackled by the duality of the power to keep the overall cosmere balance, but I think he'll have to balance himself by needing to use both aspects. The sneeze and the 16 vials is telegraphing so hard I wonder if it's going to be played straight or if it's just Brandon messing with us who like to overanalyze. Probably all 15 except steel + one of atium? Or 15 blends of all metals and one that's got a little extra juice? What happens when a mistborn burns Harmonium? I wonder if a chromium misting could leach a nuke to disarm it.

Not at all a spoiler or even an implied spoiler: there's gotta be employment for leachers at medical clinics around town that people can go to to get cleaned up so they don't get poisoned by leaving stuff unburnt in their stomachs right?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Shallan is also super racist, and is vocally blind to it in a very familiar and grating way.

I don't recall this, what are instances where it happened?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Taffer posted:

I don't recall this, what are instances where it happened?

*meets kaladin*
*immediately robs him while doing a racist Unkalaki impression*
Later:
Kaladin complains that lighteyes treat darkeyes like their playthings and don't respect them or treat them as equals.
Shallan: "Oh yeah, well since WHEN have I EVER done anything to you HMM? Maybe YOU are the real racist?"

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Extremely minor spoiler for up to chapter 29 of TLM: the Ghostbloods logo is a stylized Marewill? Kelsier, you utterly corny bastard.

Also, slightly uncool for a Mistborn book to casually toss off major Stormlight spoilers, maybe?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CapnAndy posted:

Extremely minor spoiler for up to chapter 29 of TLM: the Ghostbloods logo is a stylized Marewill? Kelsier, you utterly corny bastard.

Also, slightly uncool for a Mistborn book to casually toss off major Stormlight spoilers, maybe?

I've finished the book, and my head is kind of swimming with all the stuff, which major Stormlight spoiler was there?

It's an amazing book, and has an appropriate ending/closure for the last novel of this Mistborn era, but it also leaves me with just a ton of new question, in the best way possible. I'll need to collect my thought to write more.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Torrannor posted:

I've finished the book, and my head is kind of swimming with all the stuff, which major Stormlight spoiler was there?
Same chapter: when they're looking at the Ghostbloods logo and Marsh just casually goes "oh yeah that's the organization run by my brother, who's a Cognitive Shadow". Imagine reading the Mistborn books first and then going to Stormlight now; I feel like it's gonna be somewhat frustrating watching Shallan struggle with "who are these mysterious Ghostbloods" for three books.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I watched the keynote and he basically wants to turn Dragonsteel into Marvel (pre Disney). It’s kinda insane considering he writing giant novels not comic books.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Finished TLM. It was okay, not great. The ending wasn't a Sanderson avalanche like I was hoping for, and although the broader cosmere references are very frequent they don't really contribute much to the story beyond an "I know what that is!" reaction. I don't hate it, but found it the least satisfying of the Wax+Wayne series.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Subvisual Haze posted:

and although the broader cosmere references are very frequent they don't really contribute much to the story beyond an "I know what that is!" reaction.

I disagree here. I feel like we got a LOT of cosmere info. Some of it was rumored, some could be found in WoB, and some was a logical conclusion, but this is the first official in-book confirmation of a lot of it.

I also found a lot of hints to how the 3rd era is going to work.

Alloy of Law is still my favorite book of the era, because I think it’s the best paced overall, but I very much enjoyed the climax of Lost Metal.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CapnAndy posted:

Same chapter: when they're looking at the Ghostbloods logo and Marsh just casually goes "oh yeah that's the organization run by my brother, who's a Cognitive Shadow". Imagine reading the Mistborn books first and then going to Stormlight now; I feel like it's gonna be somewhat frustrating watching Shallan struggle with "who are these mysterious Ghostbloods" for three books.

I guessed that this was the spoiler you were talking about after having a good night's sleep. But it's kind of unavoidable to spoiler this for Stormlight readers. And it's not even the first such spoiler. Stormlight only readers were likely a bit confused why there's suddenly a talking sword that wants to destroy evil, while Warbreaker readers of course were hyped simply by Nightblood's introduction at the end of Words of Radiance.

And really, is Sanderson not allowed to write about this deeply Scadrian organization in his Scadrial books? When their leader is the freaking Survivor itself, who will play a much bigger role in Era 3, according to WoB? If Era 3 comes out before SA is finished, which I think is a given, it would be even more ridiculous to write around the issue in order not to spoil Stormlight Archive readers. As I wrote above, spoiling other series' readers is kind of unavoidable when you have concurrent series, like SA and Mistborn Era 2 are.

That said, no matter how unavoidable this spoiler is, it very much is a big spoiler. So the biggest advice we can give new readers is to go by publication date. Mistborn 1 is still the best introduction to Sanderson, Elantris, Emperor's Soul, Shadows for Silence and Sixth of the Dusk can more or less be read whenever you want, while it's probably a good idea recommend publication date for Warbreaker/Stormlight Archive/Mistborn Era 2.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Torrannor posted:

But it's kind of unavoidable to spoiler this for Stormlight readers. And it's not even the first such spoiler. Stormlight only readers were likely a bit confused why there's suddenly a talking sword that wants to destroy evil, while Warbreaker readers of course were hyped simply by Nightblood's introduction at the end of Words of Radiance.

And really, is Sanderson not allowed to write about this deeply Scadrian organization in his Scadrial books? When their leader is the freaking Survivor itself, who will play a much bigger role in Era 3, according to WoB? If Era 3 comes out before SA is finished, which I think is a given, it would be even more ridiculous to write around the issue in order not to spoil Stormlight Archive readers. As I wrote above, spoiling other series' readers is kind of unavoidable when you have concurrent series, like SA and Mistborn Era 2 are.

Of course he's allowed, and it is unavoidable, especially as everything gets more interconnected. Hell, we're more-or-less guaranteed a future conflict between Roshar and Scadrial, aren't we? If the Knights Radiant show up in spaceships in Mistborn Era 4, that's gonna put a lot of tension pre-emptively to bed for someone who's been Mistborn only to that point. (It would also be rad as gently caress. SPACESHIP RADIANTS.)

I imagine you're right; we're just going to have to adjust our advice for newbies with something along the lines of "and be aware, after <X point> everything starts crossing over with a vengeance, so before you get there either read everything else or be prepared for spoilers".

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Skimming the thread and into the end stretch of TLM and I want this as a movie so bad. TLM: Wax and Wayne having a beer while the sun sets would be such a good breather scene before the climax.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Skimming the thread and into the end stretch of TLM and I want this as a movie so bad. TLM: Wax and Wayne having a beer while the sun sets would be such a good breather scene before the climax.

also warning end of book spoilers wayne literally stopping time and his eyes no longer working because photons ceased travelling really hit as a super fun application of the magic system

personally i loved it, it was a really fun ride and had lots of neat stuff for nerds like us and was a good sendoff to (most, i assume) of these characters

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

eke out posted:

personally i loved it, it was a really fun ride and had lots of neat stuff for nerds like us and was a good sendoff to (most, i assume) of these characters

Do we know what the time jump will be for Mistborn Era 3?

Epilogue spoilers!!

I’m sure that Allriande, her child, or their descendants will appear in future books. That epilogue bit felt like as much of a setup as it did a conclusion for Wayne

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I realize everybody is excited for and enjoying their new book but finishing up RoW.

"The sphere’s tone has a rhythm to it,” Raboniel explained, eyes closed as she held the sphere. “Each Light has a rhythm. Honor’s is stately. Cultivation’s is stark and staccato, but builds.”
“And Odium’s?”
“Chaos,” she said, “but with a certain strange logic to it. The longer you listen, the more sense it makes.”
[...]
Passion. Hatred. Today, Taravangian was only passion. Hatred, fear, anger, shame, awe. Bravery. The power loved these things, and it surged around him, enveloping him.
[...]
But the power was anything but frail. It was the power of life and death, of creation and destruction. The power of gods. In his specific case, the power of emotion, passion, and—most deeply—the power of raw, untamed fury. Of hatred unbound.

Why Rayse and the Shard came into conflict really does interest me. I gave my theory, others say Rayse encouraged the "wrong" or too limited passions. For as despicable as some Fused are, they are more..."equal opportunity." They would encourage disorderly passions while Rayse wanted servants who would obey him and thus quashed passions counter to that. As such, I wanted to understand what Odium truly is. It does not look like it is just Hatred, even if it is also not all passions like Rayse claimed. But hatred is the ruling passion.

I've always been dubious about Todium. I just felt it was such an abrupt turn after Rayse has been the greatest scourge in the Cosmere for basically forever. I also just felt it was incredibly frustrating that we had this rivalry between him and Wit built up, and then we finally get an actual exchange between Odium and Wit, only to have it not be Rayse.

But finishing the ROW audiobook again, there is something I had not remembered. Michael Kramer's "Taravangian being Rayse voice" is absolutely ridiculous. That's not a criticism of him, it matches the equally ridiculous dialogue. I realize this is Taravangian pretending to be Rayse but it's supposed to be a good enough Rayse impression to fool Wit. So a Rayse who sounds like and talks like an exceptionally bad 80s cartoon villain is supposed to be "authentic." As opposed to the oh so wise Taravangian.

Somethin I've wondered - did Sanderson have the idea for the Cosmere during the original Mistborn Trilogy? Did he know his future ideas about Shards, the three realms, etc.?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

NikkolasKing posted:

Somethin I've wondered - did Sanderson have the idea for the Cosmere during the original Mistborn Trilogy? Did he know his future ideas about Shards, the three realms, etc.?

He's said in some WoB or other that he had idea for the Cosmere almost from the beginning, but it happening depended on if he could get published and keep getting published. Details definitely changed, but if I remember right Hoid was even in Elantris as kind of an easter egg he could build on if it all worked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Trying very carefully to avoid spoilers.... Just started the audiobook for The Lost Metal and the sound quality is noticeably lower than other Sanderson books. Did I get some low quality version or are they all like this? It makes Kramer's excellent deep voice sound tinny and bad, I'm hoping that there is a better quality version somewhere.