Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

I have mixed feelings about e-bikes and scooters. Some of them look really fun and I'd like to try ripping around a parking lot with one of the 'sportbike' ones, or one of the little pit bikes. As a motorcyclist I think they have a lot of potential for fun.

But goddamn, without fail they are just driven in the worst way by the worst people around here. At the risk of sounding classist... you know when you can look at someone and go "that person has a DUI?" These are the kinds of characters roving around on e-bikes in this city. Hanging their feet by the sides because the scooter's footrest area is full of groceries or garbage. Parking and riding down the sidewalk. Running red lights, and unpredictably changing from bike lane to road to sidewalk all the time. The least-lovely of them are actual delivery drivers, and they're still almost always staring at their cellphones as they dart around looking for their delivery location.

That poo poo weighs like 250lbs. That's a motorcycle. Get it the gently caress off the sidewalk.

There is one local e-bike guy I like: he's always in the road lanes, wearing a helmet, and singing along and pumping his fist to like, System of a Down or something.
I've seen a decent number of people riding scooters here and none of them have been doing anything rude or unsafe.

Very occasionally there are people on ebikes going too fast on paths or sidewalks but that's a tiny percentage of ebike riders.

Edit: wait are you talking about the moped type of scooter rather than folding scooters? I feel like we need different words for the two kinds

mystes has issued a correction as of 02:47 on Nov 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Epic High Five posted:

Also lots of people drive them like stupid assholes but at least one isnt going to wipe out an entire grade school class at a crosswalk

Yes that's true. I didn't mean to make it sound like there's anything worse than car drivers. I'm almost entirely a pedestrian these days and I do get into it a lot with cyclists on the sidewalk, but I'm 100% cognizant that in the gradient of danger and stupidity, cars are firmly on top, and absolutely onboard tackling car problems and making things harder for drivers in my city before doing anything about cyclists/e-bikes.

Unfortunately, colour yourself surprised but the cops around here don't seem to share the same priorities. This whole thing reeks of 'the cruelty being the point', Toronto is fast becoming yet another city where the get-away-with-murder weapon of choice is a car.

mystes posted:

Edit: wait are you talking about the moped type of scooter rather than folding scooters? I feel like we need different words for the two kinds

All of them. Bicycles with electric motors, the Vespa-sized 'moped' scooters, and standup/folding scooters. The Vespa-sized ones are the worst because they're so huge and heavy (and seem to be driven by the stupidest people), but all kinds of them are on sidewalks all the time.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

iirc she was actually in double digits, right? like 13x crashes?

being a broken record here but incidents like that are so revealing. we have this whole drivers license thing where you're supposed to prove that you're able to handle the responsibilities of using a piece of heavy machinery in public, but there's absolutely no mechanism for permanently rescinding your license after you prove that you aren't actually handling those responsibilities

like you get in trouble for driving without a license, because we can all agree that driving is a serious responsibility. but once you have a license, it's no longer a serious responsibility, it's something you can gently caress up over and over and over again until you incinerate a bunch of people and a pregnant mother and the government is like "drat that's wild, maybe everyone should have been more careful or something. anyways she sure was a bad driver"

if she somehow gets a lawyer that gets her off the charges, is there anything that would even stop her from jumping right behind the wheel again? and shouldn't there be? shouldn't there have been after the first crash she caused?

I'm 38 and I've only taken 1 driving test which was a written test when I was 16. In fact I just renewed my license and the only questions I was asked aside from my address was if I was a donor or a veteran.

When I renew my car tags I do it online I'm only asked my plate # zip code and credit card number. Not like if my car is safe to drive or anything lol

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The issues I see in micromobility users seem like they can be fixed with education and regulation. Much more solvable than the systemic issues with cars.

Campus where I'm at is full of scoots parked poorly on the sidewalk (big struggle for those with a wheelchair). Folks are told day one to place them in the designated parking areas whether they're a student or employee. Technically there's an ordinance on the books for how they should be parked with a fine, but no cop is going to bother investigating. My experience is that education and regulations aren't enough. It takes enforcement. Maybe a miniature bounty system?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The issues I see in micromobility users seem like they can be fixed with education and regulation. Much more solvable than the systemic issues with cars.

There are pretty different cultures too, like what I hear about NYC is nothing like what I see here. People are generally responsible and just trying to get to where they're going.

E: rental scooters were banned here after a brief and contentious debut. Those seem like a lovely system without some sort of hub that you have to return them to.

The operational life of one of those scooters is ~29 days. They are insanely wasteful.
https://qz.com/1561654/how-long-does-a-scooter-last-less-than-a-month-louisville-data-suggests

quote:

The average lifespan of a scooter was 28.8 days
The median lifespan was 26 days
The average vehicle went 163.2 miles over 92 trips during its lifetime
Five of the 129 initial-cohort scooters disappeared the same day they went into service (a lifespan of “0” days)
The scooter with the longest lifespan made it 112 days, last appearing in the data on Nov. 29
Only seven of 129 scooters lasted more than 60 days

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

RockWhisperer posted:

Campus where I'm at is full of scoots parked poorly on the sidewalk (big struggle for those with a wheelchair). Folks are told day one to place them in the designated parking areas whether they're a student or employee. Technically there's an ordinance on the books for how they should be parked with a fine, but no cop is going to bother investigating. My experience is that education and regulations aren't enough. It takes enforcement. Maybe a miniature bounty system?

You chuck them into the driving lane. Gets them picked up right quick.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The operational life of one of those scooters is ~29 days. They are insanely wasteful.
https://qz.com/1561654/how-long-does-a-scooter-last-less-than-a-month-louisville-data-suggests

Do you know of any more recent or representational studies than this?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

There are pretty different cultures too, like what I hear about NYC is nothing like what I see here. People are generally responsible and just trying to get to where they're going.

E: rental scooters were banned here after a brief and contentious debut. Those seem like a lovely system without some sort of hub that you have to return them to.

Yeah in my city they're pretty much fine, even with the "park it anywhere model." You don't really see people doing much in the way of stupid poo poo with them.

Occasionally some idiot will park one in the sidewalk, and a couple get tossed in the river every year (I assume by the scooter haters) but I never really see much in the way of traffic conflicts, be it with cars or pedestrians

I mean the real buried lede here is that Bird is only paying $500/unit for them. That's crazy.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
According to the comments this would be street legal in the United States? :stare:

https://twitter.com/AmericanFietser/status/1592184627938066432

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

every time i see a driver doing something stupid i think a certain word we aren't allowed to say on the forums anymore, however, when i think it all i mean is "slow down please!!!"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Martian posted:

According to the comments this would be street legal in the United States? :stare:

https://twitter.com/AmericanFietser/status/1592184627938066432

Definitely. It could be the case that there's some odd regulation against it, but certainly nobody is enforcing it.

Also the restrictions are by state I think so it might depend on where you are.

mystes
May 31, 2006

apparently the enormous lifted trucks are illegal in most of the places people are doing them, too, but only the police could enforce that and they're dumb lazy chuds, so oh well

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

apparently the enormous lifted trucks are illegal in most of the places people are doing them, too, but only the police could enforce that and they're dumb lazy chuds, so oh well

There's a good chance it's all cops driving them

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

RockWhisperer posted:

Is this with a scooter rental/share? Those companies don't give a drat about the communities they drop those things into, so people use their scooters accordingly. They aren't run like transportation companies, because they're really venture capital tech companies. They need a system that keeps them activated until they're returned to a specific corral so that dumping them carries a financial burden for the rider. Cities can regulate this if they choose to. The university here confiscated every misplaced scooter until there were none left, so Bird pulled the service from the area.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

NYPD Arrests and Jails Cyclist For Fixing Driver’s Illegally Obscured License Plate

https://twitter.com/adamlaw50/status/1592183776997965825

Apr 7, 2003

I'm not a huge fan of using up our limited supply of lithium on 9,000 lb cars or scooters that will be thrown in a dumpster after 29 days, but that may be just me.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

While we're on the subject

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/14/23457688/bird-revenue-overstated-shared-electric-scooters-audit

Again, not a transportation company. Venture capitalist tech bs

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

I'm not a huge fan of using up our limited supply of lithium on 9,000 lb cars or scooters that will be thrown in a dumpster after 29 days, but that may be just me.

i am, the more we raise the cost of EVs the quicker we can get over the moronic idea that they're "better" than ICE cars.

waste it on everything! build them and deliver straight to the dump! Be like Rivan and spend $220,000 on materials per vehicle that sells for $81k

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I think we should build one big battery and have all the cars share it

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

EVs but with extension cords

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Harik posted:

i am, the more we raise the cost of EVs the quicker we can get over the moronic idea that they're "better" than ICE cars.

waste it on everything! build them and deliver straight to the dump! Be like Rivan and spend $220,000 on materials per vehicle that sells for $81k

accelerationism ftw

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
all cars must be destroyed

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

silicone thrills posted:

https://twitter.com/_pjrt/status/1591999567641427970?s=20&t=573VTuevqu4TIlJvRhqQLQ

BOLLARDS MOTHER FUCKER.

Also jesus christ that car definitely passed by a cop who did nothing. You'd think that would help that piggy meet their ticket quota.

NYPD does not give a gently caress about bike lane violations or even really traffic enforcement in general. They're some of the worst offenders in terms of obstructing bike lanes. My wife recently got doored by a car parked in the bike lane, someone called the cops and when they showed up they were just like well what do you want us to do about it :shrug:.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bird is dumb but it's not like all scooters are being thrown out after 29 days any more than all bikes are being thrown out just because Google employees were tossing their company bikes into rivers or whatever

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Bold Robot posted:

NYPD does not give a gently caress about bike lane violations or even really traffic enforcement in general. They're some of the worst offenders in terms of obstructing bike lanes. My wife recently got doored by a car parked in the bike lane, someone called the cops and when they showed up they were just like well what do you want us to do about it :shrug:.
When I got doored by a truck parked in the bike lane, the "Toronto" cops wondered if the green paint meant they were allowed to park there :rolleyes: (absolutely not, to be clear)

The driver did get a fine, and my non-dominant index finger is permanently hosed three surgeries and four years later.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Actually the real problem with policing is:

quote:

For instance, vehicle pursuits. You’re not supposed to do vehicle pursuits, but if you chase the guy and then you’re able to stop him without anything going wrong, they’re fine with it as long as you get the gun. But if he crashes into a house or something, they’ll sell you out to the wolves and say, ‘We told you not to do vehicle pursuits,’ ” Michael said.

lol yeah sure there was definitely a gun. Not linking the rest of that NY Post garbage but the funny thing is 80% of their complaints are from their own incompetent management with the rest whining about soft on crime liberals ruining the sterling reputation of NYC's Finest.

e: there's another comment about how unfair it was that a brave officer was charged with manslaughter after plowing into a child while driving home from a "16 hour shift".

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

i've lived in car-centric Florida suburbs my whole life and the most striking thing you notice over time is that they never get better despite constant construction. everything that gets added sucks and makes the area worse. fast food, storage units, gas stations, parking lots, stroads, dollar stores, mega churches, pay day loans and strip malls as far as the eye can see.

apparently car washes are the current blight getting built up around my area.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/transportation/2022/11/14/why-are-so-many-car-washes-popping-up-around-tampa-bay/

In a move that reflects a nationwide trend, companies are hoping to saturate Florida — and especially Tampa Bay — with as many car wash locations as possible. They know in order to get consumers to fork over anywhere from $20 to $50 for a monthly subscription, it needs to be convenient for them.

“There’s been a lot of private equity capital that’s been poured into the car wash industry,” said Jay Shadday, president of Big Dan’s. “The biggest reason is the subscription. I would say 99% of the car washes that you’re seeing built in Florida, and really across the country, are focused on that.”

“You fill up your car with gas once a week. You get groceries once a week,” Shadday said. “We want getting your car washed to be the third thing you do once a week.”

i have never washed my car and i never will.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Norton posted:

“You fill up your car with gas once a week. You get groceries once a week,” Shadday said. “We want getting your car washed to be the third thing you do once a week.”

Delta Sonic has taken the process of washing your car from a fun weekend activity you can do with your family in 10 minutes and turned it into a miserable slog that takes 90 minutes to slowly creep through a packed parking lot so you can spend 20 seconds going through the autowash

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've always washed my car with a bucket of soapy water and a brush. We didn't have "car washes" growing up.

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

Bird is dumb but it's not like all scooters are being thrown out after 29 days any more than all bikes are being thrown out just because Google employees were tossing their company bikes into rivers or whatever

Steel / aluminum are infinitely recyclable, lithium is not

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The Tampa Bay area sounds like a nightmare. They understand density on the beach but nowhere else apparently.

Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The Tampa Bay area sounds like a nightmare. They understand density on the beach but nowhere else apparently.

I used to go down there for spring training baseball and it's a fuckin' hellscape outside of the gulf islands.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Norton posted:

Oh Shaddy can gently caress right off, we already have "brush teeth" in that slot thanks to the dental "hygiene" lobby.

Apr 7, 2003

i haven't washed my car in nine months

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If a car doesn't leave a dirt mark on you when you brush against it then it doesn't need washed.

Apr 7, 2003

my car is also still in the fuckin shop getting fixed from being hit on 10/24.

gently caress you car

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

my car is also still in the fuckin shop getting fixed from being hit on 10/24.

gently caress you car

imagin owning a car that doesn't get totalled out at 5k

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

we don't do density well anywhere here, even on the wildly expensive gulf coast barrier islands. 90% of all available space must be dedicated to supporting lifted pickup trucks.

look at Clearwater (Scientology town) for example.

this is right down the street from the million dollar houses so this land is incredibly valuable and it is just used as pavement for people to put their stupid cars.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

getting the inside of your car washed is nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

however it would be far nicer to not need or own a car, at all