Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I use Drafts and if I pin a Draft it appears as a Live Notification on the lockscreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Reposting this here as well to get more eyes on it as this seems to be more of an iOS problem than a HomeKit problem:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I'm guessing this is the thread for asking HomeKit questions. I've been using it for a few years now and it's been going well with several time & location based automations with no problem whatsoever. About two days ago though it seems like it's randomly deciding that I'm leaving home while I'm sitting in my office then a minute later it will trigger the return home automation. At first I brushed it off as a fluke but it's happened several times now so something is up. I've tried resetting my privacy / location settings on my phone and apple tv as well as deleting all of my automations and setting them up again but it just now triggered the leave home automation as I was sitting in my office.

Has anyone run into this before and know how to fix it?

blastron posted:

Dumb question, but have you tried unplugging your Apple TV and plugging it back in again? All of my automations stopped working a couple weeks back and the only thing that fixed it was completely powering off all of my HomeKit hub devices.

Tried this and it didn't fix anything, unfortunately

Rick posted:

I've been having this problem too.

The latest beta seems to have mostly resolved it, but I did have one instance yesterday of my lights turning off even though I was home. But nothing like it was a couple weeks ago where might lights were just cycling on and off all day.

I did end up having to delete all location based automations and re-add them though. I had codified most of them in scenes already so this this wasn't a big deal but if this would have happened before I did that it would have been a huge pain in the rear end.

Also tried this to no avail.

Sometimes the GPS on my phone is glitchy when I'm driving and it will be convinced I'm a block over for a while until it's finally able to recalibrate. This was an issue on both my previous and current iPhone so it's definitely an iOS issue. I suspected that this was the root of the problem here so I have been trying to open up my automation's location setting whenever my lights would turn off / back on at night to see if I could catch it in the act. I was finally able to last night. Watching the map I could see my location wandering all over the block for several minutes until it finally stabilized on my home again.

An easy fix to this seems like it would be to simply increase the radius of what's considered my home, but the problem is the radius selector is insanely sensitive where if I barely touch it it goes from my block to the entire city. After fiddling with it for several minutes I just couldn't get it to work and gave up. However I was able to grab a bunch of screenshots of my position wandering around so I can give that to Apple Support if I decide to go that route.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to fix this? I don't care if it's hacky. Either something that will prevent my position from wandering around the block at random times or somehow increasing the radius of my home location will work.

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

I had past issues with wandering GPS location when navigating (Google and Apple Maps). I forgot exactly where I saw something on this but I eventually found out that when my phone was connected via CarPlay that the phone was using the GPS location from the car instead of the device and some weirdness was occurring. When I disconnected my phone the wandering GPS location stopped. Not clear from your post if you may be encountering a similar issue.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Nah I'll be sitting in my office or laying in my bed when I see it wandering around. Would this be considered a defect I could take back to the Apple store to replace the phone?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That feels more like a software issue than a hardware one. Wipe but don’t restore from backup. Set your automation poo poo up again and see what happens.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Jose Oquendo posted:

That feels more like a software issue than a hardware one. Wipe but don’t restore from backup. Set your automation poo poo up again and see what happens.

Already did this, unfortunately

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

The Grumbles posted:

I mean considering it's the exact same as an iPhone 13 but in a smaller package, it's arguably the most cutting edge hardware :colbert:

I meant that if you wanted the highest end most expensive thing you can get you would probably be buying a pro.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

~Coxy posted:

Thanks very much for this, but I don't think this is quite what I want.
When a message comes in, I want the notification (especially since I can silence conversations.)
I can swipe it off the lock screen but it's still "unread" and there's still a red bubble over the app icon.

I think this setting will stop the notifications but keep the red bubble with the unread count?

The setting does remove unknown senders unread count from the red bubble, which is great.
However it obviously also stops notifications for them, which is sub-optimal for delivery notifications, 2FA codes, and other junk.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Reposting this here as well to get more eyes on it as this seems to be more of an iOS problem than a HomeKit problem:

Tried this and it didn't fix anything, unfortunately

Also tried this to no avail.

Sometimes the GPS on my phone is glitchy when I'm driving and it will be convinced I'm a block over for a while until it's finally able to recalibrate. This was an issue on both my previous and current iPhone so it's definitely an iOS issue. I suspected that this was the root of the problem here so I have been trying to open up my automation's location setting whenever my lights would turn off / back on at night to see if I could catch it in the act. I was finally able to last night. Watching the map I could see my location wandering all over the block for several minutes until it finally stabilized on my home again.

An easy fix to this seems like it would be to simply increase the radius of what's considered my home, but the problem is the radius selector is insanely sensitive where if I barely touch it it goes from my block to the entire city. After fiddling with it for several minutes I just couldn't get it to work and gave up. However I was able to grab a bunch of screenshots of my position wandering around so I can give that to Apple Support if I decide to go that route.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to fix this? I don't care if it's hacky. Either something that will prevent my position from wandering around the block at random times or somehow increasing the radius of my home location will work.

Yeah it returned for me in the beta released before yesterday; it got so bad I ended up turning the auto home stuff off. Which is frustrating because we had gone almost two weeks between public betas instead of the normal every-week cadence. In the end Apple had me submit screen captures of my GPS icon moving around every time I tapped my phone. Ultimately I think this is a GPS problem and not a homekit problem but it feels bad either way.

Tentatively it seems resolved in yesterday's public beta, but it didn't get bad until a day or so in the last one so I'm not willing to say it's fixed yet. Also editing scenes is broken, you HAVE to add or remove them only.

This has been the most buggy the public beta has ever been. I upgraded homekit and I really wish I hadn't because now i"m stuck on beta and would have just exited otherwise.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

If it’s any consolation I’m not in the beta. It seems like the main branch is buggy as well

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Found another AirPods case, only had one bud in it. No identifying marks, hope they set up find my.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Search not working or being incredibly slow is fuckin frustrating as hell

It just sat there and wouldn’t search so I had to manually find the app like a savage.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Has Apple or any reviews ever mentioned why AirTags are tied to a particular phone rather than supporting family sharing? That was one of the big negatives with Tile and seems like an easy thing to fix. Just feels silly that my wife can find our car keys but I can’t.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Need to save something for the AirTags 2

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Search not working or being incredibly slow is fuckin frustrating as hell

It just sat there and wouldn’t search so I had to manually find the app like a savage.
I’ve been having the same problem. Tediously slow search.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

so I can’t log into any Google accounts from Settings *or* from an app like League (benefits app I randomly tried). when I try to log in from league, it lists a bunch of existing accounts (both signed in and signed out), but tapping one just sits there with the indeterminate progress bar on accounts.google.com.

if I try to log in from Settings, the existing account selector isn’t presented, just the email entry field. submitting that gets me the same stuck state

is there a way to purge the state of “system”(?) webviews like that? I’m wondering if some bad state came over when I restored my phone backup. (I’m not in a position to reinstall right now, but that’ll be tried too sooner rather than later)

E: I tried clearing Safari’s cache and that made the list of accounts go away for League, but didn’t solve the problem. I can use Safari to log in on google.com just fine. grrrrr

E2: ah ha but I can’t log in on account.google.com from Safari…

E3: solved! I had to disable requestIdleCallback in Safari experimental features. I don’t know why that was on in the first place, but people have been hitting this issue for over a year…

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 12, 2022

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

iOS 16.1.1 is out! I just saw the badge on my Settings app.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, yesterday I think. I was hoping it was the solution to the login problem I was having!

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Weird bug with Safari on iphone at least right now - open a new the word "old" possibly with a space into the address bar and it crashes. Couple of other letters like "wel" and "okd" seem to do it too.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

rafikki posted:

Weird bug with Safari on iphone at least right now - open a new the word "old" possibly with a space into the address bar and it crashes. Couple of other letters like "wel" and "okd" seem to do it too.

Looks to be an ongoing thing with some folks,

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/11/14/safari-search-crash-bug/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
None of these fragments bother my 14 Pro. This a regional thing? While my phone is set to English language, it's region is set to Belgium. I'm also still on 16.1.0. And Siri suggestions turned off (or whatever it was), IIRC.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Crashes on my machine OP.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Emergency SOS (the satellite thing in iPhone 14) just went live

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2022/11/emergency-sos-via-satellite-available-today-on-iphone-14-lineup/

They apparently have a demo in the app if you wanna play around with it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fine print is fun. "The service will be included for free for two years starting at the time of activation of a new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro, and iPhone 14 Pro Max.4"

Which I'll be fine paying for at some point, I head into the mountains a lot and it'd be nice to not have to lug a dedicated satellite SOS device (with its own subscription fee) if the Apple solution proves reliable. But this makes it clear to me this is just the public beta.

Hopefully they add the ability to send pre-configured "everything's ok" messages to your emergency contact as that's a standard feature for this kind of product. Adding your location to 'find my' indicates they're already thinking about that stuff.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

xzzy posted:

Fine print is fun. "The service will be included for free for two years starting at the time of activation of a new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro, and iPhone 14 Pro Max.4"

Which I'll be fine paying for at some point, I head into the mountains a lot and it'd be nice to not have to lug a dedicated satellite SOS device (with its own subscription fee) if the Apple solution proves reliable. But this makes it clear to me this is just the public beta.

Hopefully they add the ability to send pre-configured "everything's ok" messages to your emergency contact as that's a standard feature for this kind of product. Adding your location to 'find my' indicates they're already thinking about that stuff.

They pretty clearly mentioned the 2 years free service in the keynote. This is more similar to a PLB and not an inReach. There’s no two-way texting with family although they can do Find My. If you do have to call emergency services your emergency contact gets notified as well.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I wonder how much it will cost after the 2 years, and if you'll be subscribed automatically. That should make some nice meltdowns in 2 years if it's automatic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FCKGW posted:

They pretty clearly mentioned the 2 years free service in the keynote. This is more similar to a PLB and not an inReach. There’s no two-way texting with family although they can do Find My. If you do have to call emergency services your emergency contact gets notified as well.

I'm not expecting 2 way. But rather the pre determined status messages like the inreach does.

The demo did let me enter ad-hoc text though (I told it I was in hugsville and my breakdown was caused by insufficient hugs). So who knows where they take this.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How do you trigger the demo?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

How do you trigger the demo?

Settings.app -> Emergency SOS -> scroll to bottom

Not sure why it's not an app, but whatever. It says you need to be outdoors which makes sense, but I was able to do it in my living room next to a large window.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I might just be easily impressed, but the idea that my phone can talk to a satellite impresses me. I carried an Iridium pager for a while in the 90s, but this is cooler for some reason.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

whatever fee they end up charging for extended service almost certainly won't be more than an inreach + subscription

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
They should include Satellite SOS for free as part of Apple Fitness +

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tossing it into Apple One would be handy, but based on the cost of similar services that's gonna bring quite a price bump. Or maybe Apple subsidizes it enough that it gets tossed in to the service. Hell if I know I'm just a dumb forums poster.

But I'd prefer it be an individual addon that I can turn off on the periods I'm not out hiking. Even daily or weekly options would be useful.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Apple is going hard on advertising despite internal push back and negative media coverage because Tim Apple wants those fat Google-size gross margins, meanwhile they just hiked the cost of Apple One two weeks ago, the days of high-value low-cost services from Apple are over.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Internal push back on advertising spend?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Wheeee posted:

Apple is going hard on advertising despite internal push back and negative media coverage because Tim Apple wants those fat Google-size gross margins, meanwhile they just hiked the cost of Apple One two weeks ago, the days of high-value low-cost services from Apple are over.

what

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Wheeee posted:

Nerds are being a little bit alarmist about this stuff, but I do worry how their pivot to more advertising within their apps re-shapes the culture within Apple and how they deliver their overall experience. I know people say the Apple Store employees and overall experience has really taken a turn for the worst over the last couple years.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

sure we're the most profitable business in the country, but what if... we were to become... more profitable

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

sure we're the most profitable business in the country, but what if... we were to become... more profitable

Well not only is that a requirement of capitalism, phone sales are tapering off so they gotta replace it with something. I doubt their AR glasses are gonna turn things around.. not in the near term anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

xzzy posted:

Well not only is that a requirement of capitalism, phone sales are tapering off so they gotta replace it with something. I doubt their AR glasses are gonna turn things around.. not in the near term anyways.

Apple certainly can't rely on the iPhone for the bulk of their profits forever, but I do think they're lucky to be selling a device that needs to be replaced due to regular wear and tear. Users might wait a little longer to upgrade, but they still shelling out $1000 every 3-5 years.