Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Gato posted:

Thanks for the quick answers, I thought "keep reading" was the most likely answer but the last book got so brilliantly convoluted I wanted to make sure I still had the wrong end of the stick.

When it comes to Tamsyn Muir, "keep reading" is always the right answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Gato posted:

Thanks for the quick answers, I thought "keep reading" was the most likely answer but the last book got so brilliantly convoluted I wanted to make sure I still had the wrong end of the stick.

It continues being brilliantly convoluted and I love it and keep reading. Do we have :justread:? We should.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Something I couldn't quite work out myself: Nona has a facility for communication. She barely even notices herself switching between different human languages and can even communicate with the RB/Varun.

So what are the kids real names?

Kevin is just Kevin, but is Born in the Morning using a BoE style name, or is Nona accidentally translating a name literally?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Senethro posted:

Something I couldn't quite work out myself: Nona has a facility for communication. She barely even notices herself switching between different human languages and can even communicate with the RB/Varun.

So what are the kids real names?

Kevin is just Kevin, but is Born in the Morning using a BoE style name, or is Nona accidentally translating a name literally?

I think the general sentiment is that she's accidentally translating names.

This reddit comment had what I remember to be a reasonably plausible set: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheNinthHouse/comments/xjq3ub/comment/ipa46mb/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

quote:

Born in the Morning might be Sabah (Arabic) or Asa (Japanese), though sources on the internet seem to argue whether or not these just mean essentially 'morning' or 'dawn'. If that's the case, any number of languages might apply.

Beautiful Ruby seems trickier. I can find various names that mean Ruby, especially in Hindu which seems to have several (Lohitika, Manikya for example) but so far none that legitimately means -beautiful- ruby.

Honesty... if we say it is specifically HONESTY and not honest, maybe Sadiq/Sadik (which has several meanings in Arabic, but one is honesty). Most of the other names I can find just seem to conjure Honest.

One response to that was "Honesty is probably Frank" which is a very funny idea

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Kevin should be Noble Birth.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

silvergoose posted:

I think the general sentiment is that she's accidentally translating names.

I still don't buy it, it seems like it should be an all or nothing kind of deal and she very clearly doesn't translate eg. Camilla or SexPal or Kiriona.

That last one is already a transliteration of a name into a different language, so I just don't see the logic of "well she translates some names but not others". I think there's just a bunch of different types of names because there's refugees from dozens of different worlds and cultures, especially since they don't have the Houses-style cultural stagnation keeping all names in lockstep.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The main reason I buy it is that at one point, Hot Sauce corrects her. Nona says something something Born in the Morning, and Hot Sauce says "You mean Born in the Morning?" or something like that.

It's gotta be different languages, somehow.

Exact quote, because I had to look it up:

Nona guessed again, "Born in the Morning."
"You mean Born in the Morning," said Hot Sauce.
"That's what I said," said Nona.

Seems pretty clear to me.

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 9, 2022

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Oh, ok yeah that's reasonably compelling.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

cptn_dr posted:

I still don't buy it, it seems like it should be an all or nothing kind of deal and she very clearly doesn't translate eg. Camilla or SexPal or Kiriona.

That last one is already a transliteration of a name into a different language, so I just don't see the logic of "well she translates some names but not others". I think there's just a bunch of different types of names because there's refugees from dozens of different worlds and cultures, especially since they don't have the Houses-style cultural stagnation keeping all names in lockstep.

His name is Gideon and Nona's Harrowbrain is still hosed up. She's getting it as Ortus.

Edit: Ortus is Latin for Rise or Birth or Dawn.

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 9, 2022

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Reclaimer posted:

His name is Gideon and Nona's Harrowbrain is still hosed up. She's getting it as Ortus.

Edit: Ortus is Latin for Rise or Birth or Dawn.

fuckin lmao

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
These loving books :allears:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Holy lol if that's true

Goddamnit it's so good

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 10, 2022

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I don't think that's correct because she can pretty obviously hear "Gideon" during the events of Nona without bleeding, and I feel like it would (well, maybe) have come up during Palamedes' detailed observations if ever single dream about the pool scene gave her a microseizure.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
This interview with Moira Quirk is delightful

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2faKxQclBhFskNGOwSVDa3

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Entropic posted:

Bookmarking for later. Thanks!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Entropic posted:

Hadn't heard about that podcast, gonna go listen to the archives now! And yeah that sounds awesome.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I started reading this about a month ago, couldn't remember what the hell was going on, and so decided to marathon the audiobooks. Very glad I did, because Moria Quirk owns bones.

I enjoyed the Nona/Pamilla slice-of-life stuff, but I think they dragged on a bit too long. There were occasional moments where the childs-eye view of conflict and a refugee city really clicked (like the stuff with the science teacher, or Pyrrha drilling her with all the safety precautions) but a lot of it just felt like padding. Palamedes' long, heartfelt monologue to Camilla before their soul-merge also left me kinda cold, but I absolutely adored the quiet tragedy of their earlier scenes, where they're both alive and happy, but cursed to be forever apart. God that was so good.

The John sequences were great, and I loved the gradual unfurling of events and the slow realisation that John actually is a colossal piece of poo poo

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

"Strom posted:

The John sequences were great, and I loved the gradual unfurling of events and the slow realisation that John actually is a colossal piece of poo poo

Hadn't that particular ship already sailed, hit the iceberg and left Leo DiCaprio's corpse at the bottom of the North Atlantic in Harrow?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Yeah but, even more.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yeah but, even more.

I suppose. My take was that John was telling the mostly truthful if somewhat self-serving story of how all this poo poo started. He and his friends were trying to develop a process to save all/most of humanity from a planet that was becoming unlivable. Ultimately the rich and powerful used their wealth and power to steal/repurpose the science meant to save all of humanity into building a few special ships designed to save their own asses. Once John realized that, after they'd launched, he lost his entire goddam mind to rage and killed the whole solar system while trying to them, which created the Resurrection Beasts.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

My first impression when reading Harrow, though I haven't gone back for a re-read so I don't know how grounded in the text it is, was (Nona spoilers too) John failed at saving the Earth and the subsequent guilt / anger made him the man he was in the present. Then in Nona you find out he directly killed everyone left on the planet and tried to consume the Earth's essence as well as manipulating his friends for ten thousand years. It's a whole other degree of "Dude, what the gently caress".

Mercury Hat fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 14, 2022

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Mercury Hat posted:

Then in Nona you find out he directly killed everyone left on the planet and tried to consume the Earth's essence as well as manipulating his friends for ten thousand years. It's a whole other degree of "Dude, what the gently caress".

admirable commitment to the bit, frankly

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I edited in that my comment above also has Nona spoilers.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Everyone posted:

I suppose. My take was that John was telling the mostly truthful if somewhat self-serving story of how all this poo poo started. He and his friends were trying to develop a process to save all/most of humanity from a planet that was becoming unlivable. Ultimately the rich and powerful used their wealth and power to steal/repurpose the science meant to save all of humanity into building a few special ships designed to save their own asses. Once John realized that, after they'd launched, he lost his entire goddam mind to rage and killed the whole solar system while trying to them, which created the Resurrection Beasts.

The great thing about that is that it's 100% consistent with some of the most strident eco-activists I know. I get a distinct sense sometimes that they're driven more by ego and "gently caress me? No, gently caress YOU" than a genuine desire to save the world.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Notahippie posted:

The great thing about that is that it's 100% consistent with some of the most strident eco-activists I know. I get a distinct sense sometimes that they're driven more by ego and "gently caress me? No, gently caress YOU" than a genuine desire to save the world.

See also: most leftist infighting through the ages :negative:

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
You hitch your wagon to a group that's willing to fight for the cause but it inevitability turns out they just like to fight.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Tamsyn has a short story out today as part of a Kindle collection that are all free for Prime members. There's also a group AMA that she's pretty active on with some fun answers

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Just finished Nona and god loving drat do I like these books.

The exploration of intersection of mind and soul was fun and interesting in this one.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hargrimm posted:

Tamsyn has a short story out today as part of a Kindle collection that are all free for Prime members. There's also a group AMA that she's pretty active on with some fun answers

tamsyn googling chussy is a highlight

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Tamsyn learning about chussy and declaring it cursed is blessed content.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Quote is not edit

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Hargrimm posted:

Hoping for a Narrator quote at some point now.

"Remember Gideon, overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer."

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

This is how it went, right?

source: https://www.tumblr.com/attentiondeficitohlookasquirrel/695398973337485312/this-is-how-it-went-right?source=share

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There are some really good posts at that link

E.g. this excellent exegesis of kiwi references

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

sebmojo posted:

There are some really good posts at that link

E.g. this excellent exegesis of kiwi references

fantastic

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug
Seeing the tumblr links reminded me of something that comes up every time I visit tumblr on desktop. What addon/setting do I need in order to never see someone's custom nonsense on their tumblr? I want the most vanilla layout, every time, no extra crap. It's like everyone is recreating mid 2000s myspace pages where things are moved around or missing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Hargrimm posted:

I quite liked the Alix E. Harrow story in this collection ("The Six Deaths of the Saint"). Her short stories in general are really great and I recommend them for any Tamsyn Muir fan.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just finished Harrow after speeding through Gideon, very much liked the first book and thought the second was great (though kinda confusing).

Opened up Nona and got to the Dramatis Personae and ehhhhhhhhh. Based on that and the preview in Harrow, I’m not excited to start. I am not in the mood for slice of life border world city-living, and Blood of Eden doesn’t interest me that much. It also seems like it isn’t going to follow up on any of the hanging threads from the first two books, if it follows the pattern of other book series.

Maybe I’ll be proven wrong, hope so.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Just finished Harrow after speeding through Gideon, very much liked the first book and thought the second was great (though kinda confusing).

Opened up Nona and got to the Dramatis Personae and ehhhhhhhhh. Based on that and the preview in Harrow, I’m not excited to start. I am not in the mood for slice of life border world city-living, and Blood of Eden doesn’t interest me that much. It also seems like it isn’t going to follow up on any of the hanging threads from the first two books, if it follows the pattern of other book series.

Maybe I’ll be proven wrong, hope so.

Eh. It's a wildly different vibe, for sure, but it does get going. The "I'm 60% through and this train has no brakes" comment is true as hell. Give it a go, it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Read the short story first, if you haven't, it's really important context