Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

When Hickman left all subsequent writers basically ignored all his "this is going to result in a really hosed up country" warning signs and seemingly went all-in on "yes the progressively-sociopathic ethnostate run by Apocalypse, Magneto, and Mister loving Sinister is cool and good".

If you can't trust a man named Mister Sinister, then who can you trust?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

If you can't trust a man named Mister Sinister, then who can you trust?

Sinestro?

Killerman?

Strong Bad?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Also its...look it just loving sucks for writers to take their favorite group to use as a stand in for lgbtq and other minority struggles, say "Were making our own culture and country and wer are loud and proud also here's the freak alien hyper sacs where people are born and here's our leaders the 3 hyperdevil Eugenicsists to help redefine what it means to be a Superior Human".

I'm gay I'm trans I like the X men, I'm not some weird alien being separated from greater humanity. Stop making this metaphor about me say that I am.

Again this is why the Jean Grey school poo poo was the last time this poo poo actually worked as a metaphor and was directly juxtaposed with evil cyclops' version of this same mutant nation concept.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 11, 2022

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

chiasaur11 posted:

Sinestro?

Killerman?

Strong Bad?

Mr Satan

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I trust Mr. Satan with my life

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RareAcumen posted:

I would welcome panel shots of these X-Men events people are talking about if anyone feels like sharing them as well
I would suggest checking out Comics Explained House of/Powers Of X complete story if you can stomach tubers. Dude goes into good detail laying it all out.

The condensed version is: Mutant Kind lives on sentient island Krakoa. Mutant kind has conquered death after bringing together 5 mutants with specific powers to grow/accelerate/nurture/birth mutant that have perished. Charles runs a 24/7 Cerebro backup of all mutants. everyone is welcome on Krakoa. everyone.
They've also developed a Wonder Drug that cures human diseases and biogates that lead to and from Krakoa that are genelocked to only those with Xgenes. They are a sovereign nation. They are a world superpower. And they have told humanity that they will gently caress Them Up if they do anything dumb.

Here's some spoilery panels for the reboot:

This is the Quiet Council, the official governing body of Krakoa. There's some kind of fractional logic going on, where you basically have sets of 3 to represent an aspect of Mutantkind/mutant interests. Everyone has an agenda in addition to trying to keep Krakoa working.
You'll notice that the Governing Body has a fanatical geneticist, genocidal mutancy advocate(s), and Mystique, among others.

Towards the end of the book, with Krakoa established as a sovereign island nation, Charles and Erik share a moment.

But...

Erik knows we've been here before. He knows that utopia, paradise, etc is a false promise. What if they fail?

Then they fail. Then they die.

They will never die. Mutants are a post-death species.

And as if a lot of the threads coming together didn't scream BAD IDEA HERE GUYS, here we have Apocalypse braking with pride over mutant kind coming around to his ideal vision.

He's just so proud of 'em.

Krakoa, and all it promises, gives everyone a chance to bury old rivalries. The whole Wolverine/Cyc/Jean thing? They're an open throuple-- Jeans living quarters have access doors to both Scott and Logan's rooms. It's a new groovy world, baby.

And she's to blame for it

Moira McTaggert. Moira X. Moira of the X lives. Moira who lived life to an old age and died unceremoniously, Moira who lived to the end of the Earth as it was swallowed by the Technarchy, Moira who betrayed Mutantkind with a Cure to the XGene, Moira who taught alongside Apocalypse in a valiant last stand against the Sentinels. Moira who brought Erik and Charles together to build Krakoa... And whose final life depends on mutant kind finally winning.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Also we just let Mister Sinister hang out and do Mister Sinister things uninterrupted despite the fact that he's not even a Mutant.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's also profoundly doomed, because nobody is going to let that poo poo stand and it's also a fundamentally bad idea. But hey, at least it's a slightly better quality of stories than it has been.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
To be fair, that's like saying "So you just GAVE Orochimaru an evil science lab and left him alone because.... Why?"

Funky Valentine posted:

Also we just let Mister Sinister hang out and do Mister Sinister things uninterrupted despite the fact that he's not even a Mutant.

"Hey so you're saying at some point Sinister poisons mutant genetics and creates chimera mutants that self-terminate horribly? Wow. Thank goodness that's not gonna happen this time around, what with all the access we give him to raw mutant genetic samples... Hey waiiiiiii"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I have no idea who Moira is, I'm that far out of the loop on comic characters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Funky Valentine posted:

To be fair he is vital to the whole operation. Without him they can't get the dead mutant backups. Also he is sorta a mutant cause his current body has the X Gene spliced into it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RareAcumen posted:

She first appeared in 1975 as the Housekeeper for the school. She was also a geneticist and expert on mutants and Charles' girlfriend. She was a major supporting character for years.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

She first appeared in 1975 as the Housekeeper for the school. She was also a geneticist and expert on mutants and Charles' girlfriend. She was a major supporting character for years.

She's in the First Class movie I believe too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RareAcumen posted:

She was a supporting character on the Fox Cartoon in the 90s. Her boyfriend was Banshee and she was a Muir Island mutant genetics researcher.

In the comics she had a kid who had crazy reality-bending powers named Proteus, and was generally one of the human allies of the X-Men.

Anyway, it's pretty much been taken for granted that Moira was a human through all of the X-Men's publication history. The current storyline gives her a very unique mutant power that makes all of the X-Men's weird future stuff and softboots Canon: upon death, Moira's mutant power allows her to restart her life from the time in the womb, complete with previous memories and adult thinking capacity. She gets 9 or 10 of these reboots.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

chiasaur11 posted:

Sinestro?

Killerman?

Strong Bad?

but who is Killerman?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Brandfarlig posted:

but who is Killerman?

Killerman, of course.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Jen X posted:

Killerman, of course.

RIGHT ON

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

She was a supporting character on the Fox Cartoon in the 90s. Her boyfriend was Banshee and she was a Muir Island mutant genetics researcher.

In the comics she had a kid who had crazy reality-bending powers named Proteus, and was generally one of the human allies of the X-Men.

Anyway, it's pretty much been taken for granted that Moira was a human through all of the X-Men's publication history. The current storyline gives her a very unique mutant power that makes all of the X-Men's weird future stuff and softboots Canon: upon death, Moira's mutant power allows her to restart her life from the time in the womb, complete with previous memories and adult thinking capacity. She gets 9 or 10 of these reboots.

Huh, I dunno why I don't remember her then, if she's been around consistently since way back then.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

RareAcumen posted:

Huh, I dunno why I don't remember her then, if she's been around consistently since way back then.

She was dead from the 90s up until 2019/2020 or so. Or so we thought until this new storyline.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

To get slightly more on topic, I noticed in the latest anime episode that in the scrolling student headshots, Aoyama is the only one looking away from the camera, which I thought was a nice way to incorporate foreshadowing him being the traitor in a way that the manga didn't bother to do.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
as if the traitor plot mattered literally at all

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It tricked AFO into starting a fight he was disadvantaged in which surely mattered

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Flesnolk posted:

as if the traitor plot mattered literally at all

Hey it mattered as much as the Star and Stripes fight

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

FireWorksWell posted:

Hey it mattered as much as the Star and Stripes fight

It mattered almost as much as Toga leaving the League!

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I haven't read Marvel comics in a long time but this Krakoa nation-state stuff reminds me a lot of Messiah Complex, when Cable made a utopia

Haven't read X-men since the early 2000s. Leafed through a few issues a few years back at a friend's place and it seemed Cyclops had morphed into mutant Che Guevara, which seemed interesting, but not enough to bring me back.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sephyr posted:

it seemed Cyclops had morphed into mutant Che Guevara, which seemed interesting, but not enough to bring me back.
Cyclops and 4 others get Phoenix powers and then he murders Professor X, loses the cool powers, loses control of his own optic blasts for a bit, gets a cool redesign where there's a big X on his face instead of the visor, goes full Mutant Rights Activist, creates a(nother) safe haven for Mutantkind, then some other poo poo until this reboot continuity thing where he's like an active family man with Jean, Teen Cable, Hope Summers, Rachel Summers, and I think Havok. Oh and Uncle Logan, who Jean sometimes goes to when she has one of her headaches.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/5541/my-hero-academia-chapter-373

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Is that a Garchomp?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
"Stop being rational!"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Phew glad that someone is going to help Shigaraki out, the heroes really have him on the ropes

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So did Spinner just die?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Larryb posted:

So did Spinner just die?

Y'know, it was really unclear.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Eggplant Squire posted:

Phew glad that someone is going to help Shigaraki out, the heroes really have him on the ropes

Assuming the translation isn't wrong, Kurogiri's wording here is very specific and could easily put him up against AfO, since AfO is currently trying to enslave/subsume Tomura Shigaraki.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kanos posted:

Assuming the translation isn't wrong, Kurogiri's wording here is very specific and could easily put him up against AfO, since AfO is currently trying to enslave/subsume Tomura Shigaraki.

That would be kinda cool actually

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I think Kurogiri is going to side with spinner's desire to help Shigakiri but against AFO since Deku also wants to help Shiga too if he can

Also somewhere out there Uravity fighting Toga which doesn't have really any relevance anymore

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Kinda mediocre resolution. There's no big fight between Shoji and Spinner. The mutants are defeated because they get told "wait what does Kurogiri have to do with any of this", and then I'm left wondering the same question as the big resolution to Spinner's story is "Present Mic yells at him once and instantly defeats what moments ago was a 50 foot tall spike monster". Plus Shirakumo is a retcon built atop another retcon, so I'm not going to have any emotional attachment to him no matter how hard he's angsted at.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I keep glancing at the anime and this series really did just get the "eh this is established now just do the bare minimum" treatment for its adaptation. It's basically as cheap as you can look without looking off-model. It's straight up perfunctory. Tons of really bad still shots for action panels, the backgrounds don't look good (and they've never really looked good in the entire series since they went for just taking a screenshot of a 3d background and throwing a photoshop filter on it. I guess the movies weren't the reason the last couple seasons were like this as well.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 20, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Delphisage posted:

Kinda mediocre resolution. There's no big fight between Shoji and Spinner. The mutants are defeated because they get told "wait what does Kurogiri have to do with any of this", and then I'm left wondering the same question as the big resolution to Spinner's story is "Present Mic yells at him once and instantly defeats what moments ago was a 50 foot tall spike monster". Plus Shirakumo is a retcon built atop another retcon, so I'm not going to have any emotional attachment to him no matter how hard he's angsted at.

Did you read the story featuring Shirakumo?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Why did he do a lovely racism plot if it was only gonna last 3 chapters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TheHan posted:

Why did he do a lovely racism plot if it was only gonna last 3 chapters

To say that ultimately the status quo was actually cool and good.