Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

rotor posted:

every time i hear things like this I assume that the reason its not already fixed is that there isnt widespread agreement that its broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
idk man i dont think that expecting the process of "standing up a twitter clone" to be easy is a reasonable expectation.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

rotor posted:

idk man i dont think that expecting the process of "standing up a twitter clone" to be easy is a reasonable expectation.

Fair

rotor posted:

that was correct when i was there. You would "boost a toot" in the vernacular

That's right up there with GIMP in terms of loving awful naming.

"boosting a toot".

come on guys...

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Expo70 posted:

That's right up there with GIMP in terms of loving awful naming.

"boosting a toot".

come on guys...

i think its cute and fun to say :shobon:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

plus the obvious fart jokes

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

"boosting a toot" is definitely terrible, but i bet no mastodon contributor ever named their kid TITAN INVICTUS

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
just setting up my quittr

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

rotor posted:

plus the obvious fart jokes

yeah I just feel groady and uncomfortable.

oss coders might all be grocky chin scratchers who whitter, tilt, lilt and titter at tarts, fart jokes and dank tokes but the rest of us embarrassed, harassed, molested and suggested with our own guilt.

edit: why the gently caress did it come out like that

edit: ritalin

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Chris Knight posted:

just setting up my quittr

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Expo70 posted:

edit: why the gently caress did it come out like that

idk but if you're trying to shame me for thinking fart jokes are funny it wont work

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

rotor posted:

idk but if you're trying to shame me for thinking fart jokes are funny it wont work

you chose this wisely.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I see "content maker" personal brand people trying to push something called Post

which sounds like a social media site where every microblog post is the equivalent of a youtube video's "hey its ya boi" preamble

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I see "content maker" personal brand people trying to push something called Post

which sounds like a social media site where every microblog post is the equivalent of a youtube video's "hey its ya boi" preamble

nobody's said that sincerely since 2017

surely?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

njsykora posted:

in open source stuff this is basically a guarantee

there’s a strong survivorship bias there of course: if it’s something fundamental then only those that don’t see it as an issue are using your app

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

rotor posted:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the real funny mastodon instances change the localization files (either to add new "funny" ones or whatever) so that "toot", "boost" etc. become different words

i think mastodon proper changed it to "publish" recently? idk where that'll go

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It's just kinda wild to me that mastodon is expecting users to be told:
"Okay so there's this twitter clone out there you should try."
"Okay cool, how do I sign up?"
"Well you can sign up to any of hundreds of hosted instances, but they all have different modoration policies (or none at all), they all interconnect so it doesn't matter"
"Okay that's kinda weird, but if I do that I can see all the stuff right?"
"Well not really, only the sites they've linked up to, which is up the admin and there could be large chunks of the federated universe you can't see from this instance"
"Well, okay? But I can at least see the overall stream of posts right?"
"Well no, you really only see your local instance normally, you can get a 'federated' stream but it's like a tiny fraction of what is posted and there's no real rhyme or reason for what comes your way"
"Well I can at least follow the people I'm interested in right?"
"Sort of, you can't actually follow anyone from their mastodon page unless they happen to be on your instance. You have to copy their user name and paste it into the search box in your home page"

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's just kinda wild to me that mastodon is expecting users to be told:
"Okay so there's this twitter clone out there you should try."
"Okay cool, how do I sign up?"
"Well you can sign up to any of hundreds of hosted instances, but they all have different modoration policies (or none at all), they all interconnect so it doesn't matter"
"Okay that's kinda weird, but if I do that I can see all the stuff right?"
"Well not really, only the sites they've linked up to, which is up the admin and there could be large chunks of the federated universe you can't see from this instance"
"Well, okay? But I can at least see the overall stream of posts right?"
"Well no, you really only see your local instance normally, you can get a 'federated' stream but it's like a tiny fraction of what is posted and there's no real rhyme or reason for what comes your way"
"Well I can at least follow the people I'm interested in right?"
"Sort of, you can't actually follow anyone from their mastodon page unless they happen to be on your instance. You have to copy their user name and paste it into the search box in your home page"

The only thing more frustrating than reading that is having worked with devs trying to actively trying to build something that obnoxious and fighting them tooth an nail along the way while realizing they're denser than a black hole and are never going to "come around".

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

just sign up on the one big instance and pretend the little ones don't exist

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

kid me never did figure this poo poo out. and adult me doesn't understand it either

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TerminalRaptor posted:

The only thing more frustrating than reading that is having worked with devs trying to actively trying to build something that obnoxious and fighting them tooth an nail along the way while realizing they're denser than a black hole and are never going to "come around".

Silicon Valley did a good arc on this. season 2 I think?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Bad Purchase posted:

unironically the best option, if you want to bother at all

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

TerminalRaptor posted:

if they weren’t denser than a black hole, they wouldn’t be building a distributed, independently hosted twitter clone in the first place

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

rotor posted:

I wouldn't be surprised it fb/google/amazon/ms aren't hurriedly building their own twitter clones to be be ready to launch as soon as twitter croaks tho. they don't even need it to be really good since at that point twitter users will have nowhere else to go

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
If federated protocols actually take off widely, I kinda expect big tech to spin up instances that resolve most of the issues. gStadon and faceStadon and so on. If not, it'll still be a sufficient bridge along with other social networks to keep connected until something settles out. Lord knows it's not the first time the internet had a social network go toes up, and it won't be last, but some how folks re-congeal into the same sets.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Zlodo posted:

I wouldn't be surprised it fb/google/amazon/ms aren't hurriedly building their own twitter clones to be be ready to launch as soon as twitter croaks tho. they don't even need it to be really good since at that point twitter users will have nowhere else to go

twitter was not a successful business and didn't do anything that, particularly, facebook doesn't already do

not really sure what you'd be expecting this to look like

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Even just having three or four somewhat smaller sites that try to get you scrolling other people's comments to get emotions that can be turned into advertising might be better than having it all route through Twitter

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

twitter was not a successful business and didn't do anything that, particularly, facebook doesn't already do

yeah but i dunno, I'd expect those other companies to jump at the opportunity to acquire users

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

rotor posted:

every time i hear things like this I assume that the reason its not already fixed is that there isnt widespread agreement that its broken.

it's open-source, a significant portion of the maintainers think usability is optional

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

rotor posted:

mastodon has a bunch of poo poo that just seems straight up objectively bad UX or whatever but the core way it's designed seems to be around something that is obvious to anyone who has run any form of social platform and not obvious to anyone who is just trying to use something that's been described as a twitter clone:

virality and moderation are fundamentally incompatible concepts

communities should be small. websites should be small. yeah theres a bunch of wild fun poo poo that can happen on big websites but its also completely unsustainable without at a minimum grinding a poorly paid moderation team into dust

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/jasonbaumgartne/status/1593573576346517504

if elon gets rid of 33% of the data centres, that solves the api issue right

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

i want it to look and act like google reader

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Expo70 posted:

Mastadon is literally fixable in <1500 lines of code but the devs are too cagey to implement it.

sounds like someone should buy it out and clean house. create a "hardcore" mastodon 2.0, so to speak

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Bad Purchase posted:

this worked for me

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

abraham linksys posted:

mastodon has a bunch of poo poo that just seems straight up objectively bad UX or whatever but the core way it's designed seems to be around something that is obvious to anyone who has run any form of social platform and not obvious to anyone who is just trying to use something that's been described as a twitter clone:

virality and moderation are fundamentally incompatible concepts

communities should be small. websites should be small. yeah theres a bunch of wild fun poo poo that can happen on big websites but its also completely unsustainable without at a minimum grinding a poorly paid moderation team into dust

vbulletin is back baby

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Diva Cupcake posted:

i want it to look and act like google reader

feedly still exists, if you can find websites still publishing rss feeds

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Gnossiennes posted:

vbulletin is back baby

i mean really it's just discords but at least forums are seo-visible and federated

reddit gets you the former i suppose

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Zlodo posted:

we said it earlier but Sundar, please bring google+ back, you can even cleverly name it google++ i dont care

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

rotor posted:

we said it earlier but Sundar, please bring google+ back, you can even cleverly name it google++ i dont care

gitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gnossiennes posted:

vbulletin is back baby

[reaches into wallet, pulls out card that reads "Matts Script Archive WWWBoard"]