Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dienes posted:

My players are taking a detour to a fey spa, where the nefarious estranged sister of the rogue happens to work. What are some ways for sister to mess with our group?

The obvious answer is to have her ruin their spa treatments or implicate them in a crime, but I'd love to hear your ideas.

Slips in extra fees & charges to their overall bill leaving them in debt would be a kinda silly/funny thing to do imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Nefarious Spa Worker Sister is known to be Nefarious, I assume, which is why she does... nothing

One PC's hair color gets changed, but the sister was nowhere nearby; it's just that the attendant handling the coloring kits was a little sloppy and mislabeled one of them. Don't worry, the treatment is on the house and we'll throw in a free hot stone massage! The hot stones burn another PC and give them blotchy patches on their skin that will take weeks to fade. But again, the sister wasn't involved! The fey spa attendants just thought the PC was made of sterner stuff, is all. The depilatory cream accidentally gets applied to the Barbarian, leaving his skin baby-smooth and soft, but there's no malice involved, that's just the style in the southlands this season... and so on.

Nefarious Spa Worker Sister doesn't do anything to the PCs - except for not warning them about the meatheads she works with. She doesn't have to. Because when the PCs inevitably make a scene and accuse her? And she can prove her innocence? And the local clerics can too, so now a literal Divine Judgment says the PCs are wrong and kinda jerks for accusing her? That's all the evil plan she needs. The added fees and surcharges that will get added to the PCs' bill will find their way into her pocket, and all she had to do was look suitably nefarious. Heck, if she plays her cards right she might even handle the situation so well that her bosses promote her to management...

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
What do I do now?

In my not-Siberia Rolemaster campaign, the PCs have set up shop in a mining town that has a not-KKK sect that is racist against mages with witchcraft met with kidnappings followed by lynchings and burnings miles away from town.

The grand wizard of the Hoods is the second-in-command of the city watch which gives the Hoods semi-legitimacy as the Captain of the Guard is old and ineffective.

There is a group that helps wizards by arranging sham trials and the witch is then fed a brew that “cures” the witch of their ability to do magic but actually makes them theatrically sick for 24 hours after which they recover fully.

This happened to one of my PCs after she publicly used magic and has since been “cured”.

The problem arises after this PC publicly humiliated the Grand Wizard who subsequently ordered the Hoods for her death. She was subsequently kidnapped and carried out of town and, in a series of events that I hadn’t planned on (using spells in really cool ways), got free and slaughtered 2/3 of the crowd, including the Grand wizard.

The issue is that some of the folks will escape back to town.

What will they do?

If they say “PC is still a wizard!” This exposes the whole farce of mages being cured and puts the whole group of “mage-savers” at risk but leaves them open to charges of kidnapping and murder and being racist assholes.

If the surviving Hoods do nothing, then the Second in Command of the Watch is missing (as well as a dozen or so civilians) with no real witnesses.

Where do I take this?

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 19, 2022

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
The wizard's cult of evil magic users (the party) has come to save her, they've murdered the grand wizard and are coming to attack the town! They were all secret wizards in disguise and they want us dead for our holy way of life and for revenge for curing the wizard!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Is your PC the spellcasting type of wizard or the racism type of wizard. Does the potion cure racism?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Obviously the PC got their identical twin to take the potion, and then went to get revenge on a totally innocent local political group. This is obviously a flimsy lie... until the twin sister shows up and start badmouthing the PC. I don't know if it is a gullible doppleganger, the vengeful spirit stepping its game up with a willing victim, or just a Hood with a hat of disguise and a willingness to fight fire with fire.

Or you could play up the changeling angle. The PC was hiding their true identity all along. The person who took the potion was a formerly poor peasant who agreed to let the PC use their identity as a disguise. The Hoods will be happy to take the PC's "mask" off if the townsfolk would just hand them over...

A less dramatic version would have the spirit pick off almost all of the escaping Hoods. The last one gets into town just long enough to tell the townsfolk whodunnit.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Rutibex posted:

Is your PC the spellcasting type of wizard or the racism type of wizard. Does the potion cure racism?

The PC is a spellcasting wizard who got kidnapped by a group of anti-wizard racists called the Hoods who are led by the Second-in-Command of the City Watch (loosely based on Imperial wizard Sam Roper). The potion is a sham. It makes anyone who drinks it violently sick for 24 hours after which there is a full recovery.

FWIW: this whole subplot originated from this image (hosting mine):

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Agrikk posted:

The PC is a spellcasting wizard who got kidnapped by a group of anti-wizard racists called the Hoods who are led by the Second-in-Command of the City Watch (loosely based on Imperial wizard Sam Roper). The potion is a sham. It makes anyone who drinks it violently sick for 24 hours after which there is a full recovery.

This whole subplot originated from this image (hosting mine):

Sorry I was confused because the anti-wizard leader also calls himself a wizard

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Rutibex posted:

Sorry I was confused because the anti-wizard leader also calls himself a wizard

You can distinguish between them easily by noting that the anti-wizard leader calls themself a Grand Wizard.

Krul
May 20, 2015

is that you, blizzard?

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

The wizard's cult of evil magic users (the party) has come to save her, they've murdered the grand wizard and are coming to attack the town! They were all secret wizards in disguise and they want us dead for our holy way of life and for revenge for curing the wizard!
i second this explanation. sometimes, the only way to make sense of a lie (when revealed) is to blame the people doing the revealing. "the cure worked, but now we're being attacked by the kidnapped wizard's evil allies!!" or "the cure must not have worked because the kidnapped wizard had her magic cruelly preserved by the other wizards in her circle!!"

if a large group of hoods have been wiped out, you could play it that the survivors are a mix of those too scared to reveal themselves (who will fade away and pretend they were never members, if allowed) and/or those who always wanted to reveal themselves but were held in check by the hoods' leader (who will now attempt a violent coup in order to avenge their leader and seize visible control of the town).

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Krul posted:

i second this explanation. sometimes, the only way to make sense of a lie (when revealed) is to blame the people doing the revealing. "the cure worked, but now we're being attacked by the kidnapped wizard's evil allies!!" or "the cure must not have worked because the kidnapped wizard had her magic cruelly preserved by the other wizards in her circle!!"

if a large group of hoods have been wiped out, you could play it that the survivors are a mix of those too scared to reveal themselves (who will fade away and pretend they were never members, if allowed) and/or those who always wanted to reveal themselves but were held in check by the hoods' leader (who will now attempt a violent coup in order to avenge their leader and seize visible control of the town).

This is great.

I'd fallen into the trap of believing that the racist assholes would behave logically. But if I eschew reason on their part then anything is possible! Aliens from Hangar 51! Communists! Evil sorcerers! Duergar! Winter Elves! The Boogeyman!

I'm envisioning a parade of Hoods marching down Main Street, holding banners memorializing the Grand Wizard and the slain Hoods, in a display that polarizes the town into anti-wizards and everyone else. With the PCs stuck in the middle, of course.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 19, 2022

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Agrikk posted:

I'd fallen into the trap of believing that the racist assholes would behave logically

See, if they were logical, they wouldn't be racist assholes

Never be afraid to have your bad guys be dumbasses, because very often being a dumbass is a big part of the reason why they're bad guys

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Never be afraid to have your bad guys be dumbasses, because very often being a dumbass is a big part of the reason why they're bad guys

Also rational enemies are way more predictable than real people are.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Some evil plans can only succeed because a dumb guy thought of it and is carrying it out. A smarter villain would have seen all the holes in the plan and lost the element of surprise over thinking things.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.

Dameius posted:

Some evil plans can only succeed because a dumb guy thought of it and is carrying it out. A smarter villain would have seen all the holes in the plan and lost the element of surprise over thinking things.

Most gang and cartel violence works like this.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Dameius posted:

Some evil plans can only succeed because a dumb guy thought of it and is carrying it out.

I was running a BattleTech campaign back in the day in which the PCs were running a mercenary regiment. There was a pirate by the name of Redjack Ryan who was notoriously difficult to catch due to his infiltration of most of the Inner Sphere armies. One session started with one of my players deciding that the Regiment should hunt down and destroy Ryan's Rebels during what we called "the pizza decision" due to the decision being made while the players and I were eating pizza.

Because the decision was so ad-hoc and the move so sudden, the PCs caught the pirate flat-footed and destroyed him. If they'd done any amount of planning at all, surely the pirate would have discovered their intentions, crawled into a hole, and pulled it in after him but no.

So yeah. Some call it dumb, others call it brilliant.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
I actually have a good example of this in a little backstory I wrote for one of my campaign villains. Guys not exactly a mastermind, but he is very dangerous all the same.

Kor, Taker of Widows

Kor was the son of Gor, chieftain of the Agarians, a barbarian tribe in the region of the world known as the “Barbarian Lands”. Growing up, Kor was willing to do anything to prove his strength. By the time he was fourteen, he was already a fearsome warrior, favoring the greataxe. As a young man, Kor became the chief war leader and enforcer for his father. He led many raids on other tribes especially against their mortal enemies the Terveri.

Soon after Kor grew into manhood, Gor arranged a bride for his son. He was to marry Thesna, daughter of Eretil, chieftain of the Franes, for the price of seven cows. Shortly after making this arrangement Gor passed away peacefully in his sleep and was honored with a great feast. Kor was still mourning his father’s death when he learned that Eretil had broken his promise to marry his daughter Thesna to Kor. He was instead planning to marry her to Agaric, chieftain of the Terveri.

Kor gathered his warriors and led a raid into the great hall of the Franes, killing many as they slept. Eretil awoke in time to meet Kor in battle, but the old chieftain was brutally defeated by the powerful Kor.

Kor brought Thesna and Ilva, the widow of Eretil, out naked before his warriors. Kor boldly declared that he was “Kor, Taker of Widows''. He and his warriors plundered all the gold and treasures of the Franes, including their livestock and returned to their homes rich in the spoils of their conquest.

When the Terveri heard news of this conquest, Agaric came to confront Kor. He entered Kor’s great hall demanding that he release Thesna and give her to him as Eretil had promised. He demanded that Kor release Ilva as well. In response, Kor had his warriors butcher Agaric's men. Kor’s warriors disarmed him and restrained Agaric. Kor then told Agaric that he was going to “cut off his head and drink from his skull” as he decapitated him with one fell swing of his greataxe.

Kor rallied his warriors and plundered the Terveri of their women, treasures and livestock. The few Terveri warriors that remained to resist them were disheartened by the loss of their chieftain and surrendered. Kor had each man executed and razed the Terveri village to the ground.

Kor, now confident in his supremacy, adopted an ox skull mask as a symbol of his strength. He pillaged neighboring tribes forcing them to pay tribute to treasure, livestock and daughters.

Kor, Taker of Widows, is now one of the most feared chieftains in the Barbarian Lands known far and wide for his strength and brutality.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
It would be meaner if he had them marry first. Kor is very mean, I like hating him!

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
Is there a cthulhu rpg thread?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

kneelbeforezog posted:

Is there a cthulhu rpg thread?
If there were, it'd be a d10/d100 SAN loss for reading the whole thing, but you'd learn valuable spells like Summon/Bind Shitpost and Call Mod.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Admiralty Flag posted:

If there were, it'd be a d10/d100 SAN loss for reading the whole thing, but you'd learn valuable spells like Summon/Bind Shitpost and Call Mod.
That's the cost for reading the title: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3504205

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
My player's entitled noble paladin managed to really annoy the major thieves guild investigator's league in the capitol city and will probably be heading back there in the next couple sessions. Nothing too terrible, just being a sheltered dwarven noble in a human city not intuiting that a lvl 2 paladin with a fancy dwarf name did not entitle her to make out-and-out demands of them. This is very on-brand for her character and I've been enjoying her leaning into being a low Int semi-coward who has no real concept of how the world actually works on her first adventure out of the barrow where her last name isn't important any more.

What are some fun but so far harmless ways this could pop up in the future? I figure the party should have the option escalate or de-escalate the situation, they're only lvl2.

The guild only met the paladin and the druid from the party, and notably not our rogue with bonkers sleight of hand, persuasion, and the stated goal of being the greatest thief to walk the earth. I kind of want to set up an opportunity for the players to have sort of information shell game with who is and isn't in the party to try and play the guild in the future and protect our rogue as a "freelance investigator" from guild pressure and compete for jobs.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

My player's entitled noble paladin managed to really annoy the major thieves guild investigator's league in the capitol city and will probably be heading back there in the next couple sessions. Nothing too terrible, just being a sheltered dwarven noble in a human city not intuiting that a lvl 2 paladin with a fancy dwarf name did not entitle her to make out-and-out demands of them. This is very on-brand for her character and I've been enjoying her leaning into being a low Int semi-coward who has no real concept of how the world actually works on her first adventure out of the barrow where her last name isn't important any more.

What are some fun but so far harmless ways this could pop up in the future? I figure the party should have the option escalate or de-escalate the situation, they're only lvl2.

The guild only met the paladin and the druid from the party, and notably not our rogue with bonkers sleight of hand, persuasion, and the stated goal of being the greatest thief to walk the earth. I kind of want to set up an opportunity for the players to have sort of information shell game with who is and isn't in the party to try and play the guild in the future and protect our rogue as a "freelance investigator" from guild pressure and compete for jobs.

News gets around that a golden chalice has been stolen from the home of an important family in the city. They have reputedly issues a statement that the chalice must be returned in the next 24 hours, they say, or there will be severe consequences. The paladin finds something stashed in her belongings. What does she do?

(Unbeknownst to your players, the chalice was never actually stolen, and isn't even real gold - this is a prank being played on them by the league out of revenge, to make them sweat. If the paladin comes to them for help, and apologises, then they'll consider the matter settled. But also there is the possibility for this to go horribly wrong, in ways the league perhaps has not considered.)

EDIT: the League doesn't know you have an aspiring "greatest thief to walk the earth" in your party, for example, who might suggest something very stupid like breaking into the family's house to put the chalice back without anyone being any the wiser.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

The guild has learned of a young thief with aspirations to greatness, and they make contact with said thief (who is, of course, the rogue PC). They want him to prove he's got chops, and present him with a test; pass it, and he gets a guild "association," with the associated perks that might command - not joining the guild, but being known as a valued friend and associate, the guild's fences will work with you, that kind of thing.

The test is, naturally, to humiliate the dwarven noble that they don't know the rogue actually knows and adventures with. Things like "sneak sneezing powder into the noble's breakfast" or "steal apples from a fruit stand, plant them on the dwarf, and then the shopkeeper - who's one of our guys - will loudly accuse him of stealing," that kind of stuff. Ultimately harmless, but very, very annoying.

Then let your players decide whether they want to lean into that with the shell game of playing "no we're not friends" with the guild, or whether the rogue doesn't want to make the paladin that miserable for the sake of a gain, since they have to actually live and travel together.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

An endless stream of yes-men grifters with exciting business opportunities and expert advice on how a dwarven noble can really capitalize on their station in this human city.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
"If you find my missing (thing or pet) please find me at (Paladin's lodgings) and ask for (Paladin's name)" signs start popping up all over the city.

Clueless folks who just want to help start popping in at all hours of the day. "Freelance" thieves who know that this is a signal that this particular dwarf is fair game show up all night.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Any DMs out there that like making custom content for their game, you should check out ChatGPT! Its free for now so use it before they make a paywall. If you ask it correctly it will generate pretty much any D&D content you want. For example to make new spells simple speak these words of power:

quote:

A design for a advanced dungeons and dragons spell. Including Spell Name, Spell Level, Spell School, Casting Time, Spell Duration, Material Components, Spell Description, and Flavor Text:

https://chat.openai.com/chat

once it has the basic format of a spell in its memory you can ask it for new things like "please give me an 8th level spell in the school of conjuration" or "Please make a spell called "Supreme Donuts Dunk". Some examples:

quote:

Spell Name: Castle Keeper's Touch

Spell Level: 4th

Spell School: Transmutation

Casting Time: 1 action

Duration: Instantaneous

Material Components: A small feather duster, a piece of soap, and a vial of cleaning solution

Spell Description: This spell cleans a castle or other large structure within range. The spell removes all dirt, grime, and debris from the structure, leaving it sparkling clean. The spell also removes any stains or marks from the walls, floors, and surfaces, making them look like new. The spell does not affect any creatures or objects within the castle, only the structure itself.

Flavor Text: With a wave of your hand and a whispered incantation, you touch the walls of the castle, imbuing them with the power of cleanliness. In an instant, all the dirt, grime, and debris that has accumulated over the years is whisked away, leaving the castle sparkling clean. The floors are polished, the windows are washed, and the surfaces are gleaming, making the castle look like new once again.

quote:

Spell Name: Brew Master's Blessing

Spell Level: 5th

Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour

Material Components: A potion, a vial of alchemical reagents, and a pinch of rare herbs

Spell Description: This spell imbues the creature that you touch with the ability to brew any potion. For the duration of the spell, the creature can brew any potion using only the materials in their possession, without needing to follow the usual recipe or use any specialized alchemical equipment. The creature can brew up to three potions during the duration of the spell, and the potions retain their usual effects.

Flavor Text: With a gentle touch and a whispered incantation, you imbue your ally with the knowledge and skill of a master brewer. They can now brew any potion they desire, using only the ingredients at hand. With this newfound power, they can create powerful elixirs and draughts to aid them in their adventures. Be careful, though, as the art of potion brewing can be dangerous, and even the most skilled of brew masters can suffer dire consequences when experimenting with new recipes.

quote:

Spell Name: Flea's Folly

Spell Level: 4th

Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes

Material Components: A flea, a pinch of salt, and a small piece of shrinkable material (such as rubber or shrink plastic)

Spell Description: This spell shrinks a creature within range to the size of a flea. The creature must make a Constitution saving throw, and on a failed save it is shrunk to a size of 0.5 inches. While shrunk, the creature's movement speed is reduced to 5 feet, and its Strength and Dexterity scores are reduced by 4. The creature also has disadvantage on attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws that use Strength or Dexterity.

The spell ends if the creature is reduced to 0 hit points, if you lose concentration, or if the duration expires. If the spell ends, the creature returns to its normal size.

Flavor Text: With a flick of your wrist and a whispered incantation, you shrink your foe to the size of a flea, reducing them to a helpless, miniature version of themselves. They are at your mercy, unable to defend themselves or escape from your grasp. Be careful, though, as even the smallest creatures can be dangerous when provoked.

quote:

Spell Name: Summon Sea Vessel

Spell Level: 7th

Spell School: Conjuration

Casting Time: 1 minute

Material Components: A small piece of driftwood, a vial of seawater, and a miniature ship model worth at least 500 gp

Spell Description: This spell summons a large sailing ship from the Elemental Plane of Water to your location. The ship appears in an unoccupied space within range, and is under your control for the duration of the spell. The ship has a number of hit points equal to your maximum hit points, and it moves at a speed of 10 feet per round. The ship is large enough to accommodate up to 30 Medium creatures. If the ship is reduced to 0 hit points, it disappears and the spell ends. The spell ends if you are incapacitated, if you lose concentration, or if the duration expires.

Flavor Text: With a fierce command and a wave of your hand, you summon forth a mighty sea vessel from the depths of the ocean. The ship materializes before you, its sails billowing in the wind and its hull ready to weather any storm. Climb aboard, and set sail for adventure on the high seas. Be careful, though, as the power of the ocean can be treacherous, and even the mightiest of ships can be overcome by the waves.

quote:

Spell Name: Song of the Siren

Spell Level: 3rd

Spell School: Enchantment

Material Components: A small crystal shard, a feather from a songbird, and a pinch of silver dust

Spell Description: This spell imbues a creature within range with the ability to sing beautifully. The creature has advantage on Charisma (Performance) checks made to sing, and its singing is so enchanting that any creature that can hear it within 30 feet must make a Wisdom saving throw or be charmed by the creature for the duration of the spell. A creature that succeeds on the saving throw is immune to the effects of this spell for 24 hours.

Flavor Text: With a sweet melody and a whispered incantation, you imbue your ally with the voice of a siren, allowing them to sing with beauty and power. Any who hear their song are entranced, falling under their spell and becoming mesmerized by their voice. Be careful, though, as the power of the siren's song can be dangerous, drawing in even the most wary of foes.

quote:

Spell Name: Summon Beholder

Spell Level: 9th

Spell School: Conjuration

Material Components: A small piece of a beholder's eyestalk, a vial of beholder's blood, and a crystal orb worth at least 1,000 gp

Spell Description: This spell summons a beholder from the Far Realm to serve as your ally. The beholder appears in an unoccupied space within range, and is under your control for the duration of the spell. The beholder has a number of hit points equal to half your maximum hit points, and it acts on your turn. If the beholder is reduced to 0 hit points, it disappears and the spell ends. The spell ends if you are incapacitated, if you lose concentration, or if the duration expires.

Flavor Text: With a deep, guttural incantation and a fierce determination, you call forth a beholder from the depths of madness to serve as your ally. The beholder materializes before you, its central eye gazing hungrily at you as it hovers in the air, ready to unleash its deadly array of eye rays at your command. Be careful, though, as the beholder's loyalty is fickle, and it may turn on you if given the chance.

quote:

Spell Name: Summon Vampiric Ally

Spell Level: 7th

Spell School: Necromancy

Casting Time: 1 minute

Material Components: A drop of blood from a vampire, a vial of holy water, and a silver mirror

Spell Description: This spell summons a vampire from the Shadowfell to serve as your ally. The vampire appears in an unoccupied space within range, and is under your control for the duration of the spell. The vampire has a number of hit points equal to half your maximum hit points, and it acts on your turn. If the vampire is reduced to 0 hit points, it disappears and the spell ends. The spell ends if you are incapacitated, if you lose concentration, or if the duration expires.

Flavor Text: With a dark incantation and a drop of your own blood, you call forth a creature of the night to do your bidding. The vampire emerges from the shadows, its red eyes glowing with hunger and malice, ready to serve as your deadly ally for the duration of the spell. Be careful, though, as the creature's loyalty is fleeting, and it may turn on you if given the chance.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Uhhh, holy poo poo.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Generate a Dungeons and Dragons 5e level 1 character with backstory, race, class, age, height, weight, and starting equipment.

quote:

Character Name: Esmerelda

Race: Human

Class: Rogue

Height: 5'7"

Weight: 120 lbs

Backstory: Esmerelda grew up on the streets of a large city, learning how to pick pockets and slip through the shadows to survive. She eventually caught the attention of a group of thieves, who took her in and taught her the tricks of the trade. Now, Esmerelda uses her skills to pull off daring heists and acquire riches.

Starting Equipment:

Leather armor
Rapier
Shortbow and quiver of 20 arrows
Burglar's pack (includes a backpack, a bag of 1,000 ball bearings, 10 feet of string, a bell, 5 candles, a crowbar, a hammer, 10 pitons, a hooded lantern, 2 flasks of oil, 5 days' rations, a tinderbox, and a waterskin)
Thief's tools
Coins (20 gp, 40 sp, 60 cp)

quote:

Character Name: Aric Sunshadow

Race: Elf

Class: Ranger

Height: 5'8"

Weight: 120 lbs

Backstory: Aric was born and raised in the elven city of Evermeet, where he spent most of his life training as a ranger. His keen senses and affinity for nature made him a skilled tracker and hunter, and he quickly became one of the best in his city. However, Aric grew restless and decided to leave Evermeet to explore the world and hone his skills. He has been wandering the land for many years, taking on dangerous beasts and protecting the innocent from harm.

Starting Equipment:

Longbow
Quiver of 20 arrows
Leather armor
Dagger
Backpack
Bedroll
Rations (5 days)
Waterskin
Herbalism kit
Fishing tackle
50 feet of rope
Crowbar
Compass
Map
Small mirror
Flask of oil
Tinderbox
10 torches

Generate a Dungeons and Dragons 5e level 10 character with backstory, race, class, features, feats, spells if applicable, age, height, weight, and starting equipment.

quote:

Here is a level 10 character for Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition:

Name: Aric the Wise

Race: Human

Class: Wizard

Background: Sage

Features:

Skilled: You gain proficiency in two skills of your choice.
Researcher: When you attempt to learn or recall a piece of lore, if you do not know that information, you often know where and from whom you can obtain it. Usually, this information comes from a library, scriptorium, university, or a sage or other learned person or creature.
Spellcasting: You have studied the arcane arts extensively, and can cast spells from the wizard spell list.
Feats:

Arcane Recovery: Once per day, you can use a bonus action to regain one expended spell slot.
Elemental Adept: Choose one of the following damage types: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder. When you cast a spell that deals damage of that type, you can reroll any 1s on the damage dice.
Spells:

Fireball
Web
Fly
Water Walk
Disintegrate

Height: 6'0"

Weight: 180 lbs

Starting Equipment:

Arcane focus
Spellbook
Quill and ink
Common clothes
Pouch with 10 gold pieces
Backstory:

Aric the Wise was born into a family of scholars and sorcerers. From a young age, he showed a keen intellect and an aptitude for the arcane arts. He spent many years studying at the finest universities, learning everything he could about magic and the arcane. He eventually became a master of the arcane arts, and his knowledge and expertise are sought after by those in need of his wisdom. Despite his great intellect, Aric is humble and always willing to help those in need.

Holy poo poo indeed

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
You can take that character and ask it to DM a game for you, if you want. It can play either the DM or a player. Last night a few of my players didn't show and we had to cancel the game. So I started feeding the room descriptions from the module into the AI, and it played through the entire dungeon :v:

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Be careful, though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Whybird posted:

Be careful, though.

lol yeah it takes output from the chat and uses it to inform the next response. That's why its important that the first spell it creates has every element of a D&D spell. If it spits out a spell without a casting time then it will just keep forgetting to include a casting time.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Rutibex posted:

You can take that character and ask it to DM a game for you, if you want. It can play either the DM or a player. Last night a few of my players didn't show and we had to cancel the game. So I started feeding the room descriptions from the module into the AI, and it played through the entire dungeon :v:

Jumping in here from the AI thread, but has anyone tied this to a voice yet. I want it to DM my next session for us.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

AgentHaiTo posted:

Jumping in here from the AI thread, but has anyone tied this to a voice yet. I want it to DM my next session for us.

This sounds like a terrible idea. Let us know how it goes.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the AI is too slow to manage that. It would also get confused with multiple people trying to speak to it. Its pretty much only good for solo games right now.

Its a great tool for a DM though, if you want to generate something on the fly

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Rutibex posted:

Yeah the AI is too slow to manage that. It would also get confused with multiple people trying to speak to it. Its pretty much only good for solo games right now.

Its a great tool for a DM though, if you want to generate something on the fly

That's cool, I'll run it thru some solo games and use it to steal ideas.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
Hey, question for the group. I’m playing an arcane trickster in a game and we were having a discussion about hide and spellcasting. I used a turn to Hide then cast a spell, which my DM wanted to counterspell. She had me role a stealth check and the creature rolled perception. The creature hit a natural 20 so unfortunately counterspelled me. I like this resolution and probably would’ve succeeded if she didn’t crit, but I’m curious to what others in the thread think about this situation? Would you let a spell cast from a hidden player be countered?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stealth v perception is a good way to do it.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wangsucker 69 posted:

Hey, question for the group. I’m playing an arcane trickster in a game and we were having a discussion about hide and spellcasting. I used a turn to Hide then cast a spell, which my DM wanted to counterspell. She had me role a stealth check and the creature rolled perception. The creature hit a natural 20 so unfortunately counterspelled me. I like this resolution and probably would’ve succeeded if she didn’t crit, but I’m curious to what others in the thread think about this situation? Would you let a spell cast from a hidden player be countered?

The point you seem to be raising is ... should an NPC be able to roll a perception check without taking the search action instead of simply using its passive perception score.

It's a really good question! It's also regarding a portion of D&D rules that is unfortunately fairly ambiguous.

I personally would have contested your stealth roll with the passive perception of the NPC, but I absolutely can see why the DM would have wanted to make a contest of the casting. I do disagree with the DMs decision and would have had it not happen if the PCs stealth roll beat the NPCs passive perception if they didn't take a search action.

Ginger Beer Belly fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

On the one hand, from an action economy perspective, if you use one action to hide and another on the following turn to cast your spell, I think it's only fair that the opponent should have to go look for you before they can use their reaction to counterspell. On the other, loud verbal components kind of work against any attempt to hide so giving the opponent a reroll on their reaction seems fine?

The D&D stealth rules are a bit of a mess. I would have ruled that when you hid, you should have rolled Dexterity (Stealth) once and recorded the result. I would have secretly compared that to the passive Perception score of the enemy. I would not have made the enemy go Search for you, because you're clearly trying to set up something cool. On your next turn, when you cast the spell, I would only have counterspelled if you failed your original stealth check.

The main thing to keep in mind here is that repeated rolls are the devil, because they increase the difficulty exponentially. If you need to first roll to hide and then roll to cast the spell, your combined odds of success are very low. The same goes for climb checks.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 17, 2022