Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/AbigailShrier/status/1594180499496280067?t=9Hl8enQS7K7aS1Mas7rgGA&s=19

Why does the October issue of NME not cover Elon Musk from a week ago, asks drooling moron

Mad would probably cover the "revolution" but they don't do monthly issues anymore, I don't think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Why does the October issue of NME not cover Elon Musk from a week ago, asks drooling moron
harry styles is way cuter

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

elon should make a fake time cover with him on it like trump did

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Elon was named the Michigan man of the year

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

CBS News announced this weekend that it’s taking a fairly bold move with its social media strategy: The network news organization stated, during a report on the chaos surrounding Elon Musk’s recent acquisition of Twitter, that it would no longer be using Twitter itself, at least for the time being.

This is per Variety, which reports that CBS News and some of its affiliate stations used similar language to describe the decision, with correspondent Jonathan Vigliotti announcing in a report on Friday night that, “In light of the uncertainty around Twitter and out of an abundance of caution, CBS News is pausing its activity on the social media site as it continues to monitor the platform.”

And, while Twitter did not end up, like, exploding on Thursday night—when a reportedly large number of its remaining employees refused to take up Musk’s offer to become more “hardcore” in favor of snagging three months severance and getting a job at a company not run by Elon Musk—there’s still plenty of concerns circulating about how well, how safely, and how long the social site can run with an apparent skeleton crew of employees.

The CBS News decision feels notable, then, not because it’s some massive seismic shift, but because it’s another stepping point in the erosion of public trust that Musk’s tenure at Twitter has seemingly produced. One network news organization deciding that it’s just not worth it to have part of their brand operating at Musk’s whims won’t bring down Twitter—but it likely will be a data point in the minds of the people who make those decisions for other companies. And if enough of those people come to similar conclusions, well, then Twitter will, in fact, have a serious problem on its increasingly less abundant sets of hands.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

CBS News announced this weekend that it’s taking a fairly bold move with its social media strategy: The network news organization stated, during a report on the chaos surrounding Elon Musk’s recent acquisition of Twitter, that it would no longer be using Twitter itself, at least for the time being.

This is per Variety, which reports that CBS News and some of its affiliate stations used similar language to describe the decision, with correspondent Jonathan Vigliotti announcing in a report on Friday night that, “In light of the uncertainty around Twitter and out of an abundance of caution, CBS News is pausing its activity on the social media site as it continues to monitor the platform.”

And, while Twitter did not end up, like, exploding on Thursday night—when a reportedly large number of its remaining employees refused to take up Musk’s offer to become more “hardcore” in favor of snagging three months severance and getting a job at a company not run by Elon Musk—there’s still plenty of concerns circulating about how well, how safely, and how long the social site can run with an apparent skeleton crew of employees.

The CBS News decision feels notable, then, not because it’s some massive seismic shift, but because it’s another stepping point in the erosion of public trust that Musk’s tenure at Twitter has seemingly produced. One network news organization deciding that it’s just not worth it to have part of their brand operating at Musk’s whims won’t bring down Twitter—but it likely will be a data point in the minds of the people who make those decisions for other companies. And if enough of those people come to similar conclusions, well, then Twitter will, in fact, have a serious problem on its increasingly less abundant sets of hands.

Is that possible? I thought journalists would die if they couldnt tweet

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
if Twitter dies that’s how it will happen. Not dramatically or all at once. it will just die a thousand smaller cuts until eventually it’s a ghost town or they just pull the plug

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

KomradeX posted:

Is that possible? I thought journalists would die if they couldnt tweet

nope it’s not possible https://twitter.com/cbsnewspress/status/1594338983785291777

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Associated Press scared much of the world last Tuesday when it alerted readers that “a senior U.S. intelligence official” said “Russian missiles crossed into NATO member Poland, killing two people.”

That report, which was widely cited across the internet and on cable news, was taken offline the following day and replaced with an editor’s note admitting the single source was wrong and that “subsequent reporting showed that the missiles were Russian-made and most likely fired by Ukraine in defense against a Russian attack.”

On Monday, the AP fired James LaPorta, the investigative reporter responsible for that story, Confider has learned.

The piece, which was originally co-bylined with John Leicester (who is still working at the AP), attributed the information to a single “senior U.S. intelligence official,” despite the AP’s rule that it “routinely seeks and requires more than one source when sourcing is anonymous.”

Like what you’re reading? Subscribe to the Confider newsletter here and have The Daily Beast media team’s stellar reporting sent straight to your inbox every Monday night.
The only exception, according to its statement of news values and principles, is when “material comes from an authoritative figure who provides information so detailed that there is no question of its accuracy”—a situation that seemingly did not occur, as the report was fully retracted last Wednesday.

When reached for comment, an AP spokesperson did not comment on LaPorta’s ouster but instead wrote: “The rigorous editorial standards and practices of The Associated Press are critical to AP’s mission as an independent news organization. To ensure our reporting is accurate, fair and fact-based, we abide by and enforce these standards, including around the use of anonymous sources.”

LaPorta, a former Daily Beast contributor, declined to comment. His firing comes nearly a decade after the news wire fired reporter Bob Lewis over an erroneous report alleging then-Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe lied to a federal investigator. That report, published in October 2013, was retracted two hours after it went up. Two editors were also fired for the mistake, including Lewis’ direct editor and the editor to whom he filed the flawed story.

It is unclear who edited LaPorta’s reporting in question or whether they faced any discipline for the error.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
good they should also fire all the other state dept stenographers

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

quote:

LaPorta, a former Daily Beast contributor, declined to comment.

The Daily Beast Commitment to Excellence strikes again

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The AP is a great news outlet, except for the D.C. Bureau which turns everything they touch to poo poo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/LAmag/status/1594917490366337025?t=9IYCKIfRNYBXiitB0QGxag&s=19

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

lol at no point in this tweet does it mention that she is the one on trial for murder (for hitting children with her big dumb Mercedes in broad daylight

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The Milwaukee candymaker became a pariah after his turkey baster injected hydrochloric acid into the brains of two men. Now he is fighting for his life.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Literally everyone in the thread is making GBS threads on LA Mag for this story.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

DC Murderverse posted:

lol at no point in this tweet does it mention that she is the one on trial for murder (for hitting children with her big dumb Mercedes in broad daylight

While drunk

And driving 80 miles per hour.

On the other hand, she's a rich white woman who should be "enjoying the bounties of upper-class privilege" so I guess let her go?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

While drunk

And driving 80 miles per hour.

On the other hand, she's a rich white woman who should be "enjoying the bounties of upper-class privilege" so I guess let her go?

and racing with the driver of a SUV

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rochallor posted:

The Milwaukee candymaker became a pariah after his turkey baster injected hydrochloric acid into the brains of two men. Now he is fighting for his life.

well yeah. should have used a turkey basta

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Grossman’s life has clearly been upended by what happened on Saddle Mountain Drive. For one thing, she’s become something of a pariah in her own neighorhood. Friends from the charity galas that Grossman used to regularly throw for her husband’s burn center suddenly stopped calling. Volunteers from the Hidden Hills homeowners’ association have reportedly been warning residents of the area—like Kylie Jenner—to “exercise caution” around Grossman.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

bedpan posted:

Grossman’s life has clearly been upended by what happened on Saddle Mountain Drive. For one thing, she’s become something of a pariah in her own neighorhood. Friends from the charity galas that Grossman used to regularly throw for her husband’s burn center suddenly stopped calling. Volunteers from the Hidden Hills homeowners’ association have reportedly been warning residents of the area—like Kylie Jenner—to “exercise caution” around Grossman.

:thumbsup:

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Sissy Rebecca Grossman of failing Los Angeles Magazine and owner of bloodstained Mercedes has a problem - her charity gala is no longer "hot"

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol at her donations

03-19-2008 Susan Collins (R) $2300
03-19-2008 Susan Collins (R) $2300 (listed twice?)
05-02-2012 Mark Reed (R) $1400
08-22-2007 Hillary Clinton (D) $500

https://www.opensecrets.org/donor-lookup/results?name=Rebecca+Grossman&order=desc&sort=N

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

what

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

drat horror queefs posted:

Sissy Rebecca Grossman of failing Los Angeles Magazine and owner of bloodstained Mercedes has a problem - her charity gala is no longer "hot"

people see nothing wrong with reading Los Angeles Magazine but when someone creates angels all you do is criticize

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

lol at her donations

https://www.opensecrets.org/donor-lookup/results?name=Rebecca+Grossman&order=desc&sort=N

LOCK.
HER.
UP.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Another car, a black SUV, was also spotted, allegedly racing with Grossman in what some are describing as a frisky game of cat and mouse.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

lol

https://twitter.com/tmbhmltn/status/1595088378227494912

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/lamag/status/1594917490366337025

Someone wrote a sympathetic oped about a lady who drove over 2 kids.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Didn’t the owner of EIC get photographed with Epstein?

Lol yep:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PplsCityCouncil/status/1595161186626342915

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

oh wtf

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

It reminds me of a middle school history class I had that covered the French revolution. The teacher told us little kids that one of inciting incidents was noble who ran kids over with his carriage and just tossed a small bag of gold coins at the parent and kept going.

It sounds apocryphal and I've never seen anyone repeat that story. But America is even more corrupt than that.

Edit: googling tells me that that story comes from A Tale of Two Cities

ikanreed has issued a correction as of 17:44 on Nov 23, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
that does sound like something a dickens villain would do

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

ikanreed posted:

It reminds me of a middle school history class I had that covered the French revolution. The teacher told us little kids that one of inciting incidents was noble who ran kids over with his carriage and just tossed a small bag of gold coins at the parent and kept going.

It sounds apocryphal and I've never seen anyone repeat that story. But America is even more corrupt than that.

Edit: googling tells me that that story comes from A Tale of Two Cities

Yeah I was gonna say I’ve heard that story too

I’m going to be honest - if never heard of Grossman or this event so when I saw the headline I was wondering if it was going to be one of those really complicated and messy situations where there was an accident and someone who is arguably sympathetic is kind of at fault but also kind of being treated as a unrepentant criminal over an accident - you know, the kind of scenario that might justify that headline and a write-up

Then I caught up on the details and nope, not particularly messy/complicated at all and definitely not sympathetic. Wtf

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yeah I was gonna say I’ve heard that story too

I’m going to be honest - if never heard of Grossman or this event so when I saw the headline I was wondering if it was going to be one of those really complicated and messy situations where there was an accident and someone who is arguably sympathetic is kind of at fault but also kind of being treated as a unrepentant criminal over an accident - you know, the kind of scenario that might justify that headline and a write-up

Then I caught up on the details and nope, not particularly messy/complicated at all and definitely not sympathetic. Wtf

Yeah, or a situation where she's the person involved so she's taking the blame but really it's the car manufacturer that should be blamed or something... Nope! Just a lovely drunk driver.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, or a situation where she's the person involved so she's taking the blame but really it's the car manufacturer that should be blamed or something... Nope! Just a lovely drunk driver.

Five or ten years ago there was a couple kids who buried themselves in a leaf pile in the street hiding or whatever it is kids do and some teenager driving by decided it would be fun to drive through the leaf pile and scatter it… just an absolute tragedy and really awful for all involved and let’s been honest all of us at times have done stupid poo poo like that… it was one of those things where some people wanted to string her up from a light pole and other people were saying look it was just a really horrible accident that idk what criminal charges even would accomplish other than ruin even more lives

That’s what came to mind when I saw the headline, not idiot rich woman drunk drag racing murders kids who were probably in full view and now she’s sad because there have been social consequences

gently caress that woman

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

lol at her donations

Lol that article, i still don't know what they hope to achieve with it:
"she had everything a real housewife of Hidden Hills could possibly want: A $7.6 million nine-bedroom ranch house in a gated community right next door to a movie star (well, Lori Loughlin), a thriving family (two teenage kids and an adopted daughter—a young burn victim Grossman and her husband adopted from Afghanistan in 2002 so that she could be treated at Peter’s hospital—two horses, five dogs, and a 100-pound turtle), a wardrobe that would have Lisa Vanderpump biting her knuckles with envy, and an expensive—and, as it would turn out, fatefully fast—Mercedes coupe." Oh and her husband is a star plastic surgeon, specialized in burn victims.

It is a really good ad against drunk racing, i must admit

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

If you want to get away with running over a kid you need to marry into an oil/CIA family and not just marry a plastic surgeon

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Earlier in the week I didn't know a thing about the case, now I'd be fine with giving her the ol' Marie Antionette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Zeroisanumber posted:

Earlier in the week I didn't know a thing about the case, now I'd be fine with giving her the ol' Marie Antionette.

The Hidden Hills socialite became a pariah after her head was severed from her body by guillotine. Now she is fighting for her own life oh wait nvm she dead