Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AquariusDue
Feb 11, 2022
Hi, I know this might sound weird and I hope this is the right thread for it...

Does anybody have a guide or tips for home fridge organization? Like how to store raw meat, where and how to store vegetables/fruit (is the fridge a right place for them?), sauces (homemade and store bought), what to do about smells (I heard something about charcoal eggs?), correct temperature, how to store cooked food? Tupperware vs pots for food storage? Cleaning? Silicone mats under pots?

I'm kinda tired of winging it as I go, by no means am I packing it full so that I'd need to use efficiently every inch of space but it almost always looks like a bomb went off and I'm trying to leave that lifestyle behind.

I apologize if this is the wrong thread for this kind of thing.

EDIT: Thanks for the advice!

AquariusDue fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Meat should be kept on the bottom to prevent juices spilling into other items, and because it's typically the coldest area. A container or plate for the package to sit in can help prevent a mess. Vegetables and fruits that require refrigeration should be kept in the crisper in a loose/sealed plastic bag, or a paper one, depending on the item. Some things don't need it, some do; just ask. Eggs should be kept in their original container. Cheeses should be wrapped and sealed to prevent moisture loss.

For cooked food, wait until they're cool, then seal ina bag/container and stick in the fridge oldest in the front, newest in the back. Preferably up top so you don't forget they exist. Butter/fats should be wrapped/sealed and so should anything with a strong sulphur flavor like onions and garlic.

Citrus shouldn't really be in the fridge, but if your place is hot they'll spoil fast, and it's better than nothing. Don't put tomatoes in the fridge, or avocadoes before they're ripe.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 21, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I put my meat in the middle level to save space but I also put them in a bin in case they leak

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
A lot of it is just individual preference, like some people want fridge liners and a million plastic bins as an aesthetic thing, and some people don't. It also depends on how your fridge/freezer is laid out.

I keep my temperature as low as I can without anything freezing. I think the lower temp helps get an extra day or two out of stuff. Whether to fridge produce depends on the individual item; you can google based on what you have.

Personally I keep my drawers full of baking stuff, mostly different types of chocolate and nuts. I keep meat on the top shelf in those thin produce bags, which I reuse as trash bags. The stuff underneath it is sealed.

Other than food safety issues, most of it is just what works for you. I'm sure you can find some prescriptive guides by like Good Housekeeping, Real Simple, The Kitchn, etc., if you search

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
So thanksgiving got moved to my parents house so now I need to bring turkey there. I'm going to be sous vide-ing the breasts rolled into a turchetta, which means starting the cook too early to do it at their house day of. It's about an hour drive in light traffic.

How do I transport freshly sous-vided turkey breast without killing the elderly members of my family? Pull the turkey from the bath, fridge it in the bag, transport cool and re-warm with a circulator once I'm there and then sear it at the last minute?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

captkirk posted:

So thanksgiving got moved to my parents house so now I need to bring turkey there. I'm going to be sous vide-ing the breasts rolled into a turchetta, which means starting the cook too early to do it at their house day of. It's about an hour drive in light traffic.

How do I transport freshly sous-vided turkey breast without killing the elderly members of my family? Pull the turkey from the bath, fridge it in the bag, transport cool and re-warm with a circulator once I'm there and then sear it at the last minute?

Sous vide it at home, wrap it in foil and put it in an insulated cooler of some kind. It'll hold close to cooking temp for an hour, then you can just sear it when you get there and/or re-circulate it up to serving temp before searing.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

The Midniter posted:

Sous vide it at home, wrap it in foil and put it in an insulated cooler of some kind. It'll hold close to cooking temp for an hour, then you can just sear it when you get there and/or re-circulate it up to serving temp before searing.

Since I'm getting there early enough to cook the thighs in the oven then a post arrival bath is gonna be needed anyway. But keeping it warm would definitely remove any uncertainty about when it's warm enough to pull, sear, and serve.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

How long is the drive?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

How long is the drive?

About an hour in light traffic.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
A few years back someone had posted a really good soft & chewy caramel recipe. I copied it at the time and think I lost it recently. I might have been Flash Gordon Ramsay. Does anyone happen to have that one or another good caramel recipe?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Anne Whateley posted:

I keep my temperature as low as I can without anything freezing. I think the lower temp helps get an extra day or two out of stuff. Whether to fridge produce depends on the individual item; you can google based on what you have.

I have a side by side fridge so I think there’s a bigger temperature differential between the top and bottom than there would be in a top freezer/bottom fridge design. I set my fridge to 36° because any colder and I’d get frozen food in the top rack where the cold air blower is

Even so my bread would turn soggy if I left it in the top rack, maybe due to freeze/thaw cycles, so I put that in the middle. (Yes I know fridge bread turns stale, I always toast my bread because of this)

Bottom rack is where large drink containers (milk, soda, tea) go. Because it gets the least cold air I always leave a couple 2 liters of water in there as a thermal regulator

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

A few years back someone had posted a really good soft & chewy caramel recipe. I copied it at the time and think I lost it recently. I might have been Flash Gordon Ramsay. Does anyone happen to have that one or another good caramel recipe?

Here you go!

Shortcut Caramels
★★★★★
Candy
Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 15 mins | Servings: 81 servings

Ingredients:
1 cup butter
1 16 ounce package (2-1/4 cups packed) brown sugar
1 14 ounce can (1-1/4 cups) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup light-colored corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
1. Line a 9x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter the foil; set pan aside.
2. In a heavy 3-quart saucepan melt the 1 cup butter over low heat. Add brown sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and light corn syrup; mix well. Carefully clip candy thermometer to side of pan.
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thermometer registers 248 degree F, firm-ball state. Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over the entire surface. Reaching firm-ball stage should take 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Remove saucepan from heat; remove candy thermometer from saucepan. Immediately stir in vanilla. Quickly pour the caramel mixture into prepared baking pan. When caramel is firm, use foil to lift it out of pan. Use a buttered knife to cut candy into 1-inch squares. Wrap each piece in clear plastic wrap. Makes 81 pieces or about 2-3/4 pounds.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
An old friend is coming to town three weeks after our favorite greasy spoon place closes for good. Is there anything from your typical diner menu (burgers pizza etc) that could be vacuum sealed/frozen that long and not taste wretched?

vvvvv thank you :(

tomanton fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 22, 2022

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Nope.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think it's more about what your friend is into and then eliminating obvious unsuitables. I would be fine freezing soups or if they have a special marinara or gravy or something. Some desserts. I would at least give a pizza slice a shot

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I mean you could try a couple things to test rn, but the best part of greasy spoons is being drunk and having the grease lightly smoked by the line cooks cigarette and shoved into your drunk face by a surly server. Half of the appeal is gone, I doubt the Marlboro essence will hold up to the transportation and freezing/thaw process.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

tomanton posted:

An old friend is coming to town three weeks after our favorite greasy spoon place closes for good. Is there anything from your typical diner menu (burgers pizza etc) that could be vacuum sealed/frozen that long and not taste wretched?

vvvvv thank you :(

I would ask to buy some memorabilia or something instead, they will probably sell you some bits and pieces if you ask nicely. One of my friends got a neon sign from our favourite chip shop when it closed down, he hung it in his kitchen.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Thank you, these are the best.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I ordered some dish towels from Amazon that purported to be all-cotton and had good reviews. They don't absorb at all; they're fine for wiping, but not for actually drying your hands.

Does anybody have a reliable brand, or can I just trust anything from an online restaurant supply house? I'm hours from an actual restaurant supply house, so this has to be mail-ordered.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I ordered some dish towels from Amazon that purported to be all-cotton and had good reviews. They don't absorb at all; they're fine for wiping, but not for actually drying your hands.

Does anybody have a reliable brand, or can I just trust anything from an online restaurant supply house? I'm hours from an actual restaurant supply house, so this has to be mail-ordered.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IG8X9E6?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

You're welcome

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Those are great, and I love mine but they are exactly what Lupin said they already have and aren’t satisfied with. Those are not absorbent enough.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Doom Rooster posted:

Those are great, and I love mine but they are exactly what Lupin said they already have and aren’t satisfied with. Those are not absorbent enough.

No, I mean these specific ones. I have them, they are extremely absorbent. Way better than any other kitchen towel I have ever purchased.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Same. When I clicked the link Amazon told me I bought these in 2019, and they're still going strong.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Literally A Person posted:

No, I mean these specific ones. I have them, they are extremely absorbent. Way better than any other kitchen towel I have ever purchased.

Awesome. Thanks for the personal recommendation.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Haha I clicked the link and we've bought them twice, so uh can recommend.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

I made this and the caramel is delicious, but if I had difficulty separating the caramel from the foil did I just not use enough butter?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I made this and the caramel is delicious, but if I had difficulty separating the caramel from the foil did I just not use enough butter?

Possibly. I use parchment paper these days and spray it with nonstick spray instead of the foil and butte and I think it works a lot better

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
And is the main driver of hardness how long you candy it for? Or is it something to do with an ingredient ratio?

Candy making is a black box to me

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

And is the main driver of hardness how long you candy it for? Or is it something to do with an ingredient ratio?

Candy making is a black box to me

temperature plays the most important role, imho. it shouldn't be at firm ball for too long - maybe a minute at most before it comes off the heat

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Goons, I have been sent here, on a mission, by Mrs_Pointer. She was making a cranberry chutney for tomorrow's dinner and either added too much molasses, or the recipe was mis-transcribed. Either way, she's finding the taste of molasses to be overpowering.

Is there anything she can add or do to try and dampen that flavor? Everything's closed, now, so she can't start over; this is your chance to shine, people.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

null_pointer posted:

Goons, I have been sent here, on a mission, by Mrs_Pointer. She was making a cranberry chutney for tomorrow's dinner and either added too much molasses, or the recipe was mis-transcribed. Either way, she's finding the taste of molasses to be overpowering.

Is there anything she can add or do to try and dampen that flavor? Everything's closed, now, so she can't start over; this is your chance to shine, people.

People may have a better idea but do you have anymore crans to add?

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

null_pointer posted:

Depending on ingredients, my suggestions would be adding either fresh grated ginger, or mustard powder bloomed in water for a couple minutes. The spice/bright notes can help balance the sweet. Additionally, the longer you heat something the less acidic it gets, so adding some additional acid at the end can help balance out the flavor. I use a splash of tonic water to finish my cranberry sauce, since it's the easiest source of quinonic acid to get ahold of.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I've got a 9lbish Hormel Pit Ham fully cooked, of which I am warming half for lunch tomorrow. If I'm serving slices, should I warm, slice, then glaze/cook? Or warm, glaze/cook, rest, then slice?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

null_pointer posted:

Yeah, some acid is the answer. Orange juice would be my first choice, with some of the orange zest if you’ve got a fresh one. Lemon juice, lime juice, sprite, cider vinegar, would be my other choices in descending order.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Bit of an odd one. I'm not slavish to use by/best before dates and try to use common sense (and not gently caress with chicken/fish).

Let's say I have mince/ground beef that is out of date that day and I make, say, a lasagne, does that "reset the clock" and it will be fine for leftovers by normal leftover time standards? Is it only in the uncooked state that it'll be potentially bad after that date?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

The Use By date on food is a fairy tale number, arrived at by some combination of compliance with local food safety laws, not wanting to be sued by a customer who ate rancid food and wanting customers to buy more beef or sausage or whatever. Err on the side of caution if you are feeding someone immunocompromised or old/a baby, but otherwise my advice is the same, raw or cooked: trust your nose and eyes.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
if the raw product seemed fine / didn't smell and the cooked product didn't make you sick, then yeah, the clock resets — give whatever you made the usual week in the fridge

friendly reminder that lasagna freezes well

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Bluedeanie posted:

The Use By date on food is a fairy tale number, arrived at by some combination of compliance with local food safety laws, not wanting to be sued by a customer who ate rancid food and wanting customers to buy more beef or sausage or whatever. Err on the side of caution if you are feeding someone immunocompromised or old/a baby, but otherwise my advice is the same, raw or cooked: trust your nose and eyes.

Oh absolutely - nose and eyes for me the majority of the time.

DasNeonLicht posted:

if the raw product seemed fine / didn't smell and the cooked product didn't make you sick, then yeah, the clock resets — give whatever you made the usual week in the fridge

friendly reminder that lasagna freezes well

Haha lasagne was just an example but it sure does! I thought it should work that way but wasn't sure. Cheers :)

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Anybody have any idea what this stuff is on the inside of my hot sauce bottle? It's less than 6 months old and has been stored in the fridge. I can't see into the bottle well enough to see what it looks like on the inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Chile pepper solids. They're fine. Some will reintegrate if you shake the bottle vigorously.