Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The production rules and fits them really well imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

The production rules and fits them really well imo

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

fits them really well imo

Yeah, lovely production for a lovely band GOT EM!

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I like both glam and toughguy eras of Pantera. I'll fuckin rage to I'm Broken everytime brother

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

sometimes youjust gotta be a fuckin aggro dude and play 5 minutes alone very loud in your car

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Varg posted:

I like both glam and toughguy eras of Pantera. I'll fuckin rage to I'm Broken everytime brother

inherit MY WIFE borat voice

if there is a man alive who doesn't enjoy Cemetery Gates they should be cast into the pit

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Angrily nodding in support of these (last 3!!!) posts

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

more like Blandtera!!!

This demo has seen heavy play in my rotation
https://rottedlife.bandcamp.com/album/demo

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Walk was one of those tunes that got burnt onto a CD that we'd get to listen to like, once a month or so in the weightroom between HS football practices. Otherwise it was all 50 cent, ~~ROUGH RIDAS~~~, Eminem and if I'm remembering correctly STOP, DROP, SHUT EM DOWN OPEN UP SHOP

also featured one of my area's greatest contributions to hardcore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjfpyyNO0hY&t=28s

Our throwing coach for T&F was the brother of the guitarist, we only got to listen to it a few times before he made us permanently skip the track

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I dunno, sometimes I'm just in a Pantera mood. Feelin' all like I want to headbutt some broken glass and whatnot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isYmSQks5Z4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV_D1Y_YHlA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyc49kxqRnQ

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Since its topical, im going to get all my Pantera posting out. Also the office is dead today so I have nothing but time, gently caress all yall.

Pantera was my gateway band to true heavy music. Metallica was my actual first metal band, but Metallica does not really lead one down the path to death metal and such the way Pantera does. I discovered them in the mid 90s when I was about 11 through ECW wrestling and Rob Van Dam's entrance music, that being a cover of Walk. The Mighty Ducks 2 having a reference to the band in throwaway dialogue also helped lol.

Before that I was into Green Day, Nirvana, and other bands I would see on MTV, but I had not really caught on to the rest of metal yet. Once I got ahold of Vulgar Display of Power though, everything changed. I had not heard anything of the same vibe, and to a kid absolutely wallowing in preteen angst, it was balm from Gilead. I immediately started begging my mom for the other Pantera albums out at the time, CFH and Far Beyond Driven. I had them all on rotation on my lovely walkman CD player constantly.

I then slowly started trying to find other metal, though in 1997 with no internet yet my resources were magazines i was not supposed to have and just browsing CD aisles at best buy or harmony house. So of course me being an adolescent in the late 90s meant I was the target market of nu metal and that's most of what I consumed. But I gave Slayer a real listen because of Goddamn Electric, and found Machine Head because of The Burning Red.

And then my friends and I scraped up enough cash to go to the Extreme Steel Tour at Cobo Arena. It was a loving amazing lineup for 2001. Pantera headlining. Slayer, Static X, Morbid Angel, and Skrape supporting. A bit of everything from the metal scene at the time. It loving ruled. It was quite literally a life changing experience for 17 year old Woodrow. Morbid Angel loving killed and that very day I became a death metal fan and started looking up bands as soon as I got home.

Metal became my passion and my buddies and I started going to every show in michigan we could for years until we all separated in our 20s due to work and such. I idolized Phil Anselmo and was a huge fan (still am) of Down and Superjoint Ritual. I dressed like Phil and drank WIld Turkey because he did. Pantera got me through good times and bad, and I was devastated when Dimebag was killed.

That did not hurt as much as Phil throwing up a nazi salute though. I was a grown man and not a 19 year old kid idolizing him any more, but god drat that sucked. gently caress him for that poo poo. He has given what amounts to an apology over the years and has not repeated his mistakes, but I can't trust him and never will.

Pantera will always be a special band for me, but gently caress you Phil Anselmo.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i ditched out of high school to buy reinventing the steel with my friends on release day

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
any of y'all can start dropping your top albums of the year so i can start judging you silently stealing the poo poo i missed/forgot about

ob pantera chat: i went to vinnie paul's strip club in dfw a few times in the '00s and i'm pretty sure that's why my immune system is so good now

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Deathlove posted:

i went to vinnie paul's strip club in dfw a few times

new thread title

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

honestly the Glamtera era rocks

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I've never even had a DUI so I'm not really allowed to listen to Pantera

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

wait the confederate flag is considered racist?

gonna have to get some goo gone and start removing stuff off my car

Next you'll be replacing the 8 ball shifter on your Tercel

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Walk might be the shittiest song ever written.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Great Southern Trendkill my be my favorite Pantera album. The pinch harmonic riff on the first track just gives me chills.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dimebags Brain posted:

Walk might be the shittiest song ever written.

It's a shame they only had one mic the day they recorded it because that track has no size to it at all.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Deathlove posted:

any of y'all can start dropping your top albums of the year so i can start judging you silently stealing the poo poo i missed/forgot about

The Mantle album of the year for 20 years in a row babeyyyy

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Judicator - The Majesty of Decay is very high on my list. Don't be fooled by the amateurish cover art, it slaps so hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWCSFH719Jk

E: Seriously, an album this good deserves some proper 1970s airbrushed shag van art, with a wizard and lightning and poo poo, not this blandness.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 22, 2022

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Deathlove posted:

ob pantera chat: i went to vinnie paul's strip club in dfw a few times in the '00s and i'm pretty sure that's why my immune system is so good now

Sigh, Pure Wrath, Ashenspire, Cloud Rat, Messa, Esoctrilihum, Imperial Triumphant, Boris (Heavy Rocks), Anal Stabwound, Nechochwen, Negative Plane, Cult of Luna, Mizmor & Thou

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

The only top albums that come directly to mind are Autonoesis, Fellowship and Chat Pile. I’m bad at recording what I listen to.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Killingyouguy! posted:

Well. You are not wrong.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Out of stuff actually published this year, and that I have actually listened to... I guess the new Lorna Shore?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the Hyperdontia/Septage split is prob my fav so far

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Killingyouguy! posted:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

The Halo Effect - Days of the Lost. loving whips and is easily my #1 for 2022. If you like melodeath at all this is fantastic and will get all the nostalgic juices flowing in the best way.

Other notable albums for me
Arch Enemy - Deceivers
Saor - Orgins
Amorphis - Halo

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Parius is my #1, easy

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Sigh, Pure Wrath, Ashenspire, Cloud Rat, Messa, Esoctrilihum, Imperial Triumphant, Boris (Heavy Rocks), Anal Stabwound, Nechochwen, Negative Plane, Cult of Luna, Mizmor & Thou

Haven’t heard messa, ashenspire, or negative plane yet. All these others would be on my list right now, also Voivod, Hath, Haunter, black matter device, Tomarum, venom prison, artificial brain, asunojokei, revocation, the two gospel records and cave in if you want to count those, liminal shroud, and callous daoboys. That’s probably the top 25% or so of things I listened to this year.

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 22, 2022

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Gutricyde's self-titled is my #1 this year

Everything else in no particular order:
The new Wretched Inferno.
Autoneosis.
Molder's Engrossed in Decay.
Undeath's It’s Time… to Rise From the Grave.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Well the thing I listened to the most this year was Stratovarius’ Survive, so that’s my aoty :)

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

KozmoNaut posted:

Judicator - The Majesty of Decay is very high on my list. Don't be fooled by the amateurish cover art, it slaps so hard.

Did the whole thing drop early somewhere? I know it comes out this Friday and is probably my last super anticipated album of the year, John Yelland is probably the best dude working in power metal right now.

Deathlove posted:

Quick chart of my not-final AOTYs at this point

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nazzadan posted:

Did the whole thing drop early somewhere? I know it comes out this Friday and is probably my last super anticipated album of the year, John Yelland is probably the best dude working in power metal right now.

Ah, that's why I couldn't find the whole album on Youtube :sweatdrop:

The benefits and pitfalls of promo access

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
'22 Top 10 in no particular order...

Blackbraid - Blackbraid I
Undeath - It’s Time… To Rise From The Grave
Daeva - Through Sheer Will and Black Magic
Autoneosis - Moon of Faoul Magics
Savage Master - Those Who Hunt At Night
Darkthrone - Astral Fortress
Cave In - Heavy Pendulum
Autopsy - Morbidity Triumphant
Sumerlands - Dreamkiller
Mortuous - Upon Desolation

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Every time people discuss Pantera I just think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1pRZauWIAo

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I did not listen to a ton of new stuff this year but Chat Pile and Sumerlands are two that I got stuck on for a while.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

deedee megadoodoo posted:

I did not listen to a ton of new stuff this year but Chat Pile and Sumerlands are two that I got stuck on for a while.

I also liked Chat Pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Oh yeah blackbraid was good too. I didn’t count soul glo cause it seemed just a step too far from metal.