Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I got the tude now posted:

drat what’s up with the pet food store owner from the buggy fight? He HAS to come back on elbaf

Assuming you aren't a monster making fun of One Piece's goodest boy, Chouchou is running his pet food shop. I'm pretty sure he got a cover page. His owner is dead as dirt, but maybe his will became a Devil Fruit and it will show up on Elbaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

why the gently caress is it a break week? I wanted to spend Thanksgiving dinner feverishly refreshing the TCB twitter

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What if the Gum Gum Tree is on Elbaf

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Scholtz posted:

why the gently caress is it a break week? I wanted to spend Thanksgiving dinner feverishly refreshing the TCB twitter

You still can.

It'll be futile, but don't let that stop you!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can rewatch One Piece Film Red this week because it's finally coming to Korea!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Eiichiro_Staff/status/1595251055305949184?s=20&t=jdIch45jI-Ngw8NexDOZNw

Uta is going on tour

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
since its break week heres something fun to ponder:
the people of skypeia, who very likely descended from the moon, had not heard of or seen rubber. however, ancient shandians believed in a sun god before they were knocked up into the sky.

devil fruits, and nika, are likely of a terrestrial origin. or are at least an invention that happened after people landed on the planet.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

It says TV Tour so I assume she'll be showing up on Japanese TV or something?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

anime was right posted:

the people of skypeia, who very likely descended from the moon, had not heard of or seen rubber. however, ancient shandians believed in a sun god before they were knocked up into the sky.

devil fruits, and nika, are likely of a terrestrial origin. or are at least an invention that happened after people landed on the planet.
Nika was “created” by slaves in ancient times, but it’s interesting to note it’s never mentioned what race/kingdom the slaves belonged to. We assume Shandians, probably, but I don’t think it’s ever been shown that they used a slave force.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the “eternal power source” might be BS - it implies a sun or nuclear or something like that, but the Mariejois arc showed us a bunch of times that the “magic” tech of the kingdom was often just slaves toiling in secret, e.g. the travelator. Something about the robot who scaled the Red Line suddenly powering down, it being connected to Fishman Rights and the parallels to Fisher Tiger feels fishy to me (pardon the pun). Fishmen are the race most closely associated with slavery in the story and we have a Fishman in the crew who literally has the sun branding on his chest…

Also I think we’re about to find out relatively soon that devil fruits are some kind of soul/mind science developed by the ancient kingdom to preserve their memories and will. They regrow on nearby trees when a user dies so that the ancient kingdom can never be truly wiped out or forgotten.

I saw the movie. I know what happens if you go to a Uta concert. No way am I getting used as a bodyshield by some marine captain.

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Nov 23, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if it was proximity based then most of impel down would have no reason to exist. the wg does not have access to whatever blackbeard's fruit harvesting cheat is.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Isn't it?? That's how Caesar Clown got Smiley's devil fruit back after he died back on Punk Hazard

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you have the sequence of events wrong. the fruit changed before smiley died.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it's proximity-based (closest fruit of the same sort turns into a devil fruit when the user dies) and doesn't seem to be particularly secret, but i guess it's plausible enough that the world government never paid enough attention to notice or care themselves

the fruit changed into a devil fruit as smiley died, it was pretty clear what was going on there

lih fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Nov 23, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
then re-read it, because that's not what happened. chapter 676.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I think people are underestimating exactly what "the nearest compatible fruit" entails. A fruit isn't just "stuff you find in the grocery store at the fruit section", it's anything that contains seeds and comes from a plant. That's a ridiculously huge amount in real life, let alone in the One Piece world where biology is even weirder and wilder. It's theoretically possible to stumble across one, especially if it turns out to be a relatively common fruit like apples, which is presumably how Caesar figured out the Salamander fruit (that, or he picked up some info from Vegapunk). However, if you didn't know what the fruit type was, there's very little chance you would get it right since there's not exactly an easily repeatable way to test it - you'd have to kill a Devil Fruit user near a large pile of fruit and hope it respawns, and if it doesn't you've just unleashed a very dangerous power that could be used against you back in the world.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

then re-read it, because that's not what happened. chapter 676.

i just did. caesar has smiley eat the candy, which kills it. as it dies, the fruit caesar had prepared nearby turns into smiley's fruit. then its death releases the gas everywhere. pretty straight-forward?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's still moving and roaring at that point.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ah, it's a mystery fruit...

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

you have the sequence of events wrong. the fruit changed before smiley died.

not this poo poo again

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

We already know that Devil Fruits were around about the mid-Void Century because of Toki

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's probably this.

If the fruits are literal souls and have some amount of agency then the ties to haki/willpower probably influence this as well. Luffy could die and keep his fruit because he still had the willpower to come back from it. Smiley didn't have any actual agency or willpower at all, being something cooked up in a lab, so as soon as it was in its death throes that was pretty much all she wrote.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

anime was right posted:

The weirdest part of this to me is that the Shandians had never heard of rubber before but they DID know about Devil Fruits, cause Wiper wore seastone-lined cloud skates specifically for fighting devil fruit users and immediately recognized Enel had one when he started using lightning powers

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i can't accept the "fruit reincarnates into a fruit nearby it" because that feels absurd for the vast majority of the world not to know. we can handwave it but i'd have to imagine that'd be a pretty open secret if it were the case and i think oda would write something more clever than that.

however, i simultaneously think it's the most likely explanation. especially because it dovetails perfectly with the shandians believing that upon an ancestor's death, they move to the nearby woods and their souls stay within those trees. parallels and all that

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
theres probably slightly more specificity to it is all

like its gotta be apples to apples

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Would like to see a Devil Fruit being found naturally in the wild before the series ends.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

free range devil fruits

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Arist posted:

free range devil fruits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifsu94vYKao

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

We already know that Devil Fruits were around about the mid-Void Century because of Toki

i question whether or not Toki actually ate a devil fruit

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if no one knew what a specific devil fruit looked like or if it varied, then sure, okay. but there's the widespread book which contains the appearance of many different kinds of devil fruits so don't tell me no one ever tried experimenting with it. if it's that simple there's really no reason why the wg wouldn't have a monopoly on devil fruits. instead, their only additional supply seems to be based entirely on vegapunk's artificial fruits.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

It wouldn't be surprising to me actually. Best real life example is how long it took to figure out that eating a lemon (C Vitamin) cures scurvy. How hard can it be?? Did noone ever eat a lemon at sea? Well:
- People did eat lemons but still got scurvy. You need a certain amount of it. And who's to say it was the lemon Vinnie ate that cured his scurvy which I never saw happen because it was cured before it happened? Ronnie at lemons and got scurvy! Maybe it was the salted beef!
- It took about a hundred years for anyone to make a clear connection. A doctor started researching and found a clear connection with fresh fruit curing scurvy. However! Complications:
- You can't just bring lemons on board, you have to store it. Lemons rot fast so it would be stored as lemon juice. But copper containers which were common would destroy the vitamin C but otherwise leave the juice intact! So there were lots of ships sailing around with lemon juice and getting scurvy and people didn't believe in the cure.
- Even with proper storage, the juice quality deteriorates over time. At the end of a voyage when scurvy symptoms start to show, the vitamin could be mostly gone from the juice.
- Even the people who did believe had a hard time spreading it. Before radio/TV it was hard to spread information. Plus there are other info on fake cures and conspiracy theories and 'I tried lemon but sure didn't work for me!' etc muddying up the waters.

It took 300 years, until the discovery of vitamins in 1928, for the cure for scurvy to be definitely proven to work. Even though all you had to do was eat a loving lemon.

So what could be muddying up the waters with devil fruits behaviour?
- Testability. You have to have eaten a devil fruit to even be able to test it once. And you have to die. You have to die! YOU HAVE TO DIE! To test the theory, someone has to die! Probably in 99% of cases the user won't happily lie down under the specific pink dragonfruit tree to help you test the theory.
- Unclear test results. Ceasar had a bucket of fruits so maybe the process is imprecise. The transformation was subtle so you could potentially miss the fruit.
- You have to match the exactly right DF to the exactly right fruit or you'll get wrong results.
- Confidentiality. Probably those with enough resources to perform controlled tests are experimenting for their own purposes or under government contract, and won't or can't share their findings.
- Myths, hearsay, etc and the only source of worldwide information is a newspaper which is government controlled to some extent.

Most people live in like east blue and have never even seen a devil fruit or a DF user. So altogether I find it fully believable that most DF facts are still myths and mystery.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 23, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
those are all reasons for private groups to try and fail. then there is the wg, who have no respect for life, desire ever greater control, have access to a great deal of information about devil fruits throughout history, and capture pirates who have eaten fruits regularly.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i've sorta just come around to waiting for vegapunk to explain this to me cuz the idea that nobody noticed feels like it requires a lot of gymnastics but its also not really the end of the world if oda just didn't tighten up the idea and had to invent one partially through the story

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

tbp posted:

i've sorta just come around to waiting for vegapunk to explain this to me cuz the idea that nobody noticed feels like it requires a lot of gymnastics but its also not really the end of the world if oda just didn't tighten up the idea and had to invent one partially through the story

I assume this is the world government's plan as well.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Will has to play a part, I bet that is why they have impel down to hold DF users because they know if you just kill the person the fruit will carry that will with it and respawn as far away as possible.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

those are all reasons for private groups to try and fail. then there is the wg, who have no respect for life, desire ever greater control, have access to a great deal of information about devil fruits throughout history, and capture pirates who have eaten fruits regularly.

and also every motivation to restrict that information to the higher ranks and keep it a government secret, so it all checks out

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

anime was right posted:

theres probably slightly more specificity to it is all

like its gotta be apples to apples

Yes, theres gotta be some sort of major restriction. Also, until refrigeration was invented you couldnt reliably cart around as many fruits from all over the world as you pleased. Who knows if thats a recent vegapunk invention or not though

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

tbp posted:

I don't know where people keep getting the "nobody noticed" thing from. I always assumed that a nearby fruit of the appropriate type turning into a Devil Fruit was fairly common knowledge even if the characters don't explicitly mention it. Luffy probably doesn't know about it, but Chopper or Robin plausibly might.

I don't buy "you have to die" as the barrier to experimentation that some people are making it out to be. You can feed Devil Fruits to animals (or even to inanimate objects in the case of Zoans) and kill them. Also, of scientists we've seen interested in Devil Fruits and related subjects, Vegapunk is the only one who seems to have much in the way of moral qualms about killing people for research; he certainly has more than Caesar, Queen, or Judge.

As to why the World Government doesn't have a monopoly on Devil Fruits...that's the hard question. But the easy answer is that there's an element of unpredictability; maybe it's not always the nearest appropriate fruit.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 24, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they wouldn't spread it around, no. but that's not a reason to not use this process themselves. for starters, they could have kept a barrel of dragonfruits under the execution platform to grab the fire fruit as they executed ace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

they wouldn't spread it around, no. but that's not a reason to not use this process themselves. for starters, they could have kept a barrel of dragonfruits under the execution platform to grab the fire fruit as they executed ace.

Maybe they did exactly that, but then the Fire Fire Fruit "mysteriously" disappeared while Vergo was at Navy HQ.