Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Maximo Roboto posted:

in tonight's exchange he comes off as positive and inquisitive while the haters do seem prematurely malding.

he begged to work for free because he was going to single-handedly save twitter, asked people to do his job for him when he realized that working on a huge, complex system at global scale was a bit different than poking at things with paperclips and bodge wires, and was bewildered as to why he got so many responses of "gently caress off, I'm not doing your job for you/I don't work for free"

he's essentially a scab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
bring back bullying

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

i'd laugh so much if that kid was able to social engineer a security backdoor into twitter through this but he doesn't seem that cool

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Maximo Roboto posted:

Apparently the functionality is already provided by the API?

https://twitter.com/realGeorgeHotz/status/1595297876652920832

This kid delivered, so this is the behavior that he wanted

https://twitter.com/realGeorgeHotz/status/1595326944282697728

Hackers gonna hack

https://twitter.com/gd3kr/status/1595335007236943872

lol geohotz complained that the ui didnt look good enough so the kid spent more time making it "prettier" jesus christ

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

fart simpson posted:

lol geohotz complained that the ui didnt look good enough so the kid spent more time making it "prettier" jesus christ

"we just finished code review on the search box and you've got to tighten up the graphics a little bit"

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

The_Franz posted:

asked people to do his job for him when he realized that working on a huge, complex system at global scale was a bit different than poking at things with paperclips and bodge wires

I think he is way out of his domain and doesn't have the faintest clue how much poo poo is involved in web development, especially when he says sweeping reductive statements like this

https://twitter.com/realGeorgeHotz/status/1595320501156487168
https://twitter.com/realGeorgeHotz/status/1595345801248505856

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Make him the lead dev

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

Make him the lead dev

the Elon way is to have sycophants do all the work while you take all the credit (and Elon gets all the money), so he probably will be lead dev within a week

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I would simply apt-get install twitter

imHitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

Running Twitter on a 20 man team sounds a lot like the old infrastructure and healthcare systems I’ve helped maintain.

You really don’t want to do that with anything web-facing D:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Astroid posted:

Running Twitter on a 20 man team sounds a lot like the old infrastructure and healthcare systems I’ve helped maintain.

You really don’t want to do that with anything web-facing D:

twitter, but it's been rewritten in MUMPS

shinmai
Oct 9, 2007

CHK Instruction
maybe I'm dumb but geohot is talking about that signup nag modal like it's not something Twitter explicitly wanted qnd purposefully added in is just weird.
pre-elon twitter devs weren't like "oh no what's this now?! it's all in the way! someone help me get rid of this" and then gently caress up "fixing" it.

Anyway I hope someone sent him a onliner to steal his cookies or make him install bonzi buddy

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/bestofdyingtwit/status/1595272605572816896

WHAT

imHitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

Kazinsal posted:

twitter, but it's been rewritten in MUMPS

The mainframe and database are 7-bit ASCII and communicate using an old proprietary protocol that there is one windows program for only living in a OneDrive share, and you can’t keep the Java web parts from breaking every time some rear end in a top hat thinks he can tweet out “citation marks” because the SourceSafe repo you need to apply the fix is being backed up and unavailable the first week of every month. They are desperately looking for more developers before 1/4 of the devs retire for their third time and willing to pay a whopping $55k/yr for being responsible for entire systems that had separate teams running them in the past. No stress, but remember, if it breaks: people die.

e: p. sure the public knowledge of how long these systems can fly on vapors and how shaky they can be would cause more bodily harm than the odd downtime

imHitchens fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Nov 23, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

the buttcoin and Elon threads are inexorably merging

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

to complicate things a bit more, sbf is also an investor in semafor, which elon has called them out for without mentioning sbf's twitter stake or more generally crypto people's capture of twitter

that guy was out there sticking his fingers in all of the pies when he was on top

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Nessus posted:

ellison seems to be a chud though, looking it up; however, literally beefing with him does not seem like a wise plan for mr. musk.

behind thiel hes one of the gop's biggest individual donors

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

ellison, murdoch, and kissinger will live forever

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
re: blue checks and financing twitter

I want to be able to remove other people's checks, to swap their avatars and to add descriptive red texts to their accounts. I'm willing to pay for that, too.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Maximo Roboto posted:

I think he is way out of his domain and doesn't have the faintest clue how much poo poo is involved in web development, especially when he says sweeping reductive statements like this

https://twitter.com/realGeorgeHotz/status/1595320501156487168
https://twitter.com/realGeorgeHotz/status/1595345801248505856

Where does he think all the improvements in open sores come from, yes plenty of volunteers working on things they think is cool.. but plenty of big corps support and develop OS projects (including twitter)

now whether that is a good thing is a separate issue...

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

"i dont understand why twitter needs an entire UX/UI team... just use Boostrap to buil... whats that? They made it... oh"

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
didn't musk also open source some of the tesla patents and nobody took him up on the offer to use their tech because all other manufacturers had found their own better ways to do things?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

EricBauman posted:

didn't musk also open source some of the tesla patents and nobody took him up on the offer to use their tech because all other manufacturers had found their own better ways to do things?

IIRC by "open source" he meant "if you use any of these we also get free use of any of your patents now and in the future". The only people interested in that deal in the first place would be startups that don't actually have any patents of their own and aren't going to do the R&D to produce any.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

EricBauman posted:

Yes and no. Yes they absolutely could de better probably. The main thing was that the "open sores" patents meant the users could never ever sue tesla if they then used anything that the user company developed - with or without using tesla patents for their own poo poo.

So... a lovely PR move. Almost like its a pattern

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

EricBauman posted:

No it was even dumber than that. Tesla offered to license all their patents for like a dollar or something to anyone that wanted them, but the license agreement also said you could never use Tesla for any patent infringement forever for any reason.

Surprisingly none of the other auto manufacturers took them up on this offer. Musk still made a big show of it though how he was giving away Tesla's IP because he just cared about the environment so so much.

betalarmannen
Jan 13, 2007

Pillbug

EricBauman posted:

it was more complicated than that, there were some heavy gotchas in using those patents for free, never being able to enforce any rights against tesla etc

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Lol drat that patent question was an incredible nerd snipe

shinmai
Oct 9, 2007

CHK Instruction

mrmcd posted:

I think it's etched in a lot of people's minds (even folks who don't care about OSS) because of what a bold-faced bullshit move it was from Musk/Tesla

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

like most people in the pos i know way more than any one person should about anything involving musk

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
oh wow, yeah that's an incredibly bad deal then

it does show how musk is well aware of how (tech) journalism works: the simple version of the claim is what gets reported on the front page, the strings that are attached and the objections that others raise later end up being forgotten, barely reported on

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mrmcd posted:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Wild EEPROM posted:

please do tell the adblocker filter

code:
twitter.com##div#layers div[data-testid="sheetDialog"]:upward(div[role="group"][tabindex="0"])
twitter.com##html:style(overflow: auto !important;)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

shinmai posted:

I think it's etched in a lot of people's minds (even folks who don't care about OSS) because of what a bold-faced bullshit move it was from Musk/Tesla

i don’t have to remember stuff like that when i can derive it from first principles

elon musk is a liar and a crook

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Twitter had that sign-up nag because it was good for Twitter. I wonder if we can fire this lunatic at Instagram next and get the login wall and all login prompts removed.

All this is so stupid.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

shinmai posted:

maybe I'm dumb but geohot is talking about that signup nag modal like it's not something Twitter explicitly wanted qnd purposefully added in is just weird.
pre-elon twitter devs weren't like "oh no what's this now?! it's all in the way! someone help me get rid of this" and then gently caress up "fixing" it.

Anyway I hope someone sent him a onliner to steal his cookies or make him install bonzi buddy

yeah, and especially now because twitter wants to make most of its money directly from users (subs, payments, premium stuff), they really kind of need a login nag or a login wall. like only fans or whatever require login to look around, and that’s probably for good reason.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Eeyo posted:

yeah, and especially now because twitter wants to make most of its money directly from users (subs, payments, premium stuff), they really kind of need a login nag or a login wall. like only fans or whatever require login to look around, and that’s probably for good reason.

lmao, "mr. musk mr. musk! i removed the login nag and now people can use the site for free! i'm intern :)"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Maximo Roboto posted:

His hubris is gonna own him in the dark dystopian jungle that is modern day web development, but idk, in tonight's exchange he comes off as positive and inquisitive while the haters do seem prematurely malding.

I'm more curious to see how the next few weeks crush his spirit with React and legacy code.

Then again, if he doesn't actually credit whoever helped him, that just further exposes the grift.

https://twitter.com/realGeorgeHotz/status/1595338914872467456

the guy who claimed he could make big upgrades to Twitter search within 12 weeks if Elon gave him git access and paid his rent doesn't get to beg people to help him for free, no matter how positive and inquisitive he is about it

the sheer lack of shame is kinda impressive tho. after talking all that poo poo, it took only a day before he resorted to outsourcing the whole thing to random high schoolers for free

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
love to have interns unilaterally make decisions that impact the bottom line

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
gently caress it, I'm rooting for the 33 year old intern and his high school helpers. Search was probably the way it is because it makes Twitter money

Next they're going to tell Musk that users hate ads and just rip out the ability to show ads at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

betalarmannen posted:

it was more complicated than that, there were some heavy gotchas in using those patents for free, never being able to enforce any rights against tesla etc

the "any rights" was the key bit. Tesla would allow others to use their patents, but anyone who took them up on that deal couldn't sue to enforce any intellectual property rights.

for example if Ford had participated Tesla could have made a Model E, or a Model T, or a part for part Mustang clone with pirated Ford infotainment software. Trademark and Copyright are IP after all.