Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think the only thing that does it moderately well is Konosuba, and that's mostly because its a comedy and the setup for the main character's death is a joke that sets the tone for the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I'm trying to remember the name, but there's an isekai fantasy book (not web serial) that had a full arc of 1/4 or 1/3 of the book establishing the character and their life before the transportation, which did a good job of laying the framework for the story to focus on the trauma of being ripped from one's life and having people trying to kill you as a war allegory.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Yeah, you do not need a whole chapter of a character's life before whatever Isekai event. You want either one paragraph to set up the bare minimum (Reincarnated as a Slime, for example, establishes the main character's dying thoughts being misinterpreted by the reincarnation system as the reason for his situation) or several chapters to establish character traits and background that will inform later aspects of the story (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe establishing all the Pevensie kids, Lucy's brief meeting with Mr Tumnus establishing that time flows differently in Narnia and that the wardrobe doesn't always work etc.)

When it's a whole chapter of "Here's this guy, here's his personality, what he does in his day, his whole personal history... but now he's in a new world with nobody else from his old life, no desire to return, and his personality is also gonna dramatically shift!" That's... yeah.

And Monroe should just be skipped. Not just chud-city, but also magical autism beep-boop-robot-boy nonsense too? Spend the time playing minewseeper instead.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Skipping the earth setup is pretty standard in any modern isekai; it's the ones that talk about it at length that are the outliers.

I do find the Korean ones pretty funny though; whereas Japanese isekai tend to just spend a few pages at most showing them overworking themselves to death or being hit by the truck, from the manhwa I've read, the preferred Korean method of isekai seems to be... being murdered by a random person in a hoodie, because of an incident on earth that the story elaborates on in detail for a whole chapter (he's a guy she rejected, he's a guy who got pissed at the mc earlier in the day, and so forth), then never brings up again.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ar'Kendrithyst 177 - Tbh I can't say I disagree with the idea of getting rid of all Wizards. By their very nature, you can't really reliably defend against the stuff they might do (and the stuff they might do can be immeasurably catastrophic).

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Ytlaya posted:

Ar'Kendrithyst 177 - Tbh I can't say I disagree with the idea of getting rid of all Wizards. By their very nature, you can't really reliably defend against the stuff they might do (and the stuff they might do can be immeasurably catastrophic).

That's the thing, though: you can't defend against Wizards because Wizards make new things. In terms of creating genuinely new opportunities, rather than simply finding what's already there (like Erick with Particle Magic), a Wizard nearly always has to be involved. But instead of that being used for good purposes, they're stuck in a survival mindset where they kill all Wizards they find because they can't afford the risk because all the Wizards are opposed to the current order because they kill all the Wizards they find because they can't afford the risk, on and on going back to the original root of it, which is "one of them must have destroyed the Old Cosmology." Which no one can actually say for sure, because even Melemizargo has no idea what actually caused the Primal Lightning, so it's figuratively and literally a witch hunt.

So, yeah, it's understandable on some level, but they've very much created and maintained their own problem here... Exacerbated by the fact that the Shades are essentially Wizards, and their policy means that they have no Wizards to oppose them.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The differences between Small Wizardry and Wizardry and being an actual Wizard are subtle but really important too. Unfortunately I have no loving idea which chapter it gets clarified in.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Cicero posted:

The Wandering Inn, Beware of Chicken, He Who Fights With Monsters, Beneath the Dragoneye Moons all skip any setup Earth scenes I think. There's also plenty of isekais that start much deeper into the story (Weirkey, Reverend Insanity, This Young Master is not Cannon Fodder).

Dunno about the others, but my logic was simple.

What happened on Earth just DOES NOT MATTER. In the slightest. At all.

Skip it, get to the Good Stuff.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Selkie Myth posted:

Dunno about the others, but my logic was simple.

What happened on Earth just DOES NOT MATTER. In the slightest. At all.

Skip it, get to the Good Stuff.

This bit of conversation spawned from my suggestion of Monroe. In this specific case it's ironic because what happened on Earth in that series really did matter, cause the system comes calling and is more or less a potential extinction event for Earth. How the main character was treated directly affects how he goes about dealing with this. People on Earth quickly understand their 'savior' is really messed up and why.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a tearful apology scene where the president of wokeism says they made a mistake with affirmative action. Lol

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Is there a tearful apology scene where the president of wokeism says they made a mistake with affirmative action. Lol

No, he gets quietly phased out as soon as they can because everyone, including himself, knows he's the worst person to be running anything. He assumes (incorrectly) everyone is going to blame him for everything or kidnap him (this is not paranoia) for his knowledge and goes off building a spaceship. President is female, does that check off the 'woke' box for you?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Larry Parrish posted:

I think he like, gets a million dollars from the university to drop it forever or something equally absurd (and obviously he does not care because uh, he's a fuckin wizard and poo poo)

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Larry Parrish posted:

no, but tucker carlson plays with a bunch of "puppy" t-rex with a maniacal smile at one point!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shirunei posted:

no, but tucker carlson plays with a bunch of "puppy" t-rex with a maniacal smile at one point!

lmao

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Also Queen Elizabeth going into a dungeon with full plate, a claymore, an army of summoned corgis, riding a giant corgi. The chapter was titled 'you had to have see that coming'.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kalas posted:

Also Queen Elizabeth going into a dungeon with full plate, a claymore, an army of summoned corgis, riding a giant corgi. The chapter was titled 'you had to have see that coming'.
it did seem like an accurate projection of what Queen Elizabeth would have done in that situation, based on what we know about her young years

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
So it looks like the guy behind War Queen is trying to give writing full time a go. Hopefully it works out for him. It will be nice to see it updating regularly again.

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
Just read the roomba isekai to the current chapter.

I love how in the latest chapters the Maid picks devotee only to discover that she's just become a maidier version of a maid. And the discovery through her perspective that the roomba vacuumed up all the warding circles and released every demon on that floor was neat.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
god I love catching up on this thread, it's infuriating

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI 9.25 Patreon: loving hell

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

A big flaming stink posted:

TWI 9.25 Patreon: loving hell

Indeeeed. What a chapter.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

god I love catching up on this thread, it's infuriating

wait do you love to be mad or what are you infuriated over?
:confused:

TWI Patreon: He wore the top hat to a theft. The balls on that guy!

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Ship-core on RRL has been a fun read after the 50 chapters I've burned through today. Tentative recommendation.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
I've been enjoying shipcore for the most part. It's weird in that the first 7 or so chapters came out then there was a long hiatus so it kinda shifted gears after. It's been updating daily since it started again.

The only caveat is that Alex character interactions can be pretty anime. Not even sure how else to describe it. Feels a bit awkward in the serious setting but that may just be a me problem.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Huh no kidding on the tonal whiplash between sections. It's actually quite annoying.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 1, 2022

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
Read through all of Jackal Among Snakes yesterday up to the latest chapter.
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/48969/jackal-among-snakes
Gotta say, its pretty good for what flaws it has. Author is bad at fixing the current location of the reader though, in a precise sense. Sometimes get tripped up by characters going from a cave deep underground to a cliff to watch the sunset when the fact they backtracked wasn't made too clear, ceilings of rooms are occasionally omitted from descriptions which makes subsequent descriptions of tunnels leading to exits outside confusing.

But they're great at establishing an entire tileset, traps, monsters, and dungeon you can picture in your head. I can actually imagine what the open world game version would have been like. The various optimal spells and combo attacks the party quests for and uses make sense in a massive open world go-from-one-end-of-the-map-to-the-other-for-ultimate-power sort of way.

The author needs to do some revisions but they've captured some of the feeling of going through Skyrim or the Witcher 3s slightly more gimmicky dungeons. They've also done some great work with the various characters as well.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Sylvian Wastes posted:

Read through all of Jackal Among Snakes yesterday up to the latest chapter.
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/48969/jackal-among-snakes
Gotta say, its pretty good for what flaws it has. Author is bad at fixing the current location of the reader though, in a precise sense. Sometimes get tripped up by characters going from a cave deep underground to a cliff to watch the sunset when the fact they backtracked wasn't made too clear, ceilings of rooms are occasionally omitted from descriptions which makes subsequent descriptions of tunnels leading to exits outside confusing.

But they're great at establishing an entire tileset, traps, monsters, and dungeon you can picture in your head. I can actually imagine what the open world game version would have been like. The various optimal spells and combo attacks the party quests for and uses make sense in a massive open world go-from-one-end-of-the-map-to-the-other-for-ultimate-power sort of way.

The author needs to do some revisions but they've captured some of the feeling of going through Skyrim or the Witcher 3s slightly more gimmicky dungeons. They've also done some great work with the various characters as well.

I didn't really buy the MC's sudden turn into a straight up sociopath and murderer of family. And, I really do not buy anyone continuing to give him the time of day or letting him walk around after kinslaying the literal heir of the kingdom in a feudal society.

edit: I actually hadn't caught up and a few chapters past this event there is this hilarious quote

quote:

“I have to become a High Wizard—not my fault the test is scheduled a bit late. It might be just a title, but it opens a lot of doors, earns me a lot of prestige. It’ll make negotiations with the Magisters easier, too. On top of all that, a lot of valuable ingredients for alchemy you can’t buy without a high status in the Order. Last but not least… it’ll be good to maintain strong ties with this Tower,”

It just seems absurd and silly after everything!

shirunei fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 1, 2022

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

shirunei posted:

I didn't really buy the MC's sudden turn into a straight up sociopath and murderer of family. And, I really do not buy anyone continuing to give him the time of day or letting him walk around after kinslaying the literal heir of the kingdom in a feudal society.

The man has been murderhoboing across the map since the story started. The biggest difference between some of the other collateral and his brother is that his brother is also a complete sociopath who would never leave him be. Induen has a history of murdering for fun, including the mother of the body the MC is trucking around in.. I don't really consider it a break from the established character, especially when he's been planning on doing it all along.

The kingdom thing is more ehhh, but with a literal rebellion going on, I can suspend my disbelief.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Cynic Jester posted:

The man has been murderhoboing across the map since the story started. The biggest difference between some of the other collateral and his brother is that his brother is also a complete sociopath who would never leave him be. Induen has a history of murdering for fun, including the mother of the body the MC is trucking around in.. I don't really consider it a break from the established character, especially when he's been planning on doing it all along.

The kingdom thing is more ehhh, but with a literal rebellion going on, I can suspend my disbelief.

A few comments the MC made make me pretty sure Induen was going to do something really, supremely horrible in the game, and so the MC had been planning on killing him first the whole time. So it wasn't really a sudden swerve so much as the opportunity came up and it felt sudden because the MC just jumped on it to do what he'd already planned. He does a bad job of explaining that, though, so even the other characters are pretty shocked when they run into Induen and the MC immediately starts talking about it as a great opportunity to kill him.

As for the kingdom, remember Induen was despised and his hobby was orphaning children. Not "secret hobby" as he did it openly. And the witnesses couldn't tell who started the fight.

Also the MC doesn't really consider himself to be Argrave and thus doesn't really see Induen as his brother.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 2, 2022

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

Bremen posted:

Also the MC doesn't really consider himself to be Argrave and thus doesn't really see Induen as his brother.

This is the weird one for me because it's not even like he has the emotions or lived memories of the original iirc, so when he mentions almost being convinced into killing faux-bro fast instead of slowly it really kind of came out of nowhere for me. Granted, I read serials like once every couple months so I don't remember all the nuances in between dives, but it is hard for me to come up with some explanation for why he has to cut up his brothers corpse or why he was interested in torturing Induen to death besides maladjustment at best.

shirunei fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 2, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ar'kendrithyst 179 - I hope that Sitnakov goes on the rest of Erick's Worldly Path with him and they become good friends. He seems like a cool guy who just wants to have fun. dudes rock

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

shirunei posted:

This is the weird one for me because it's not even like he has the emotions or lived memories of the original iirc, so when he mentions almost being convinced into killing faux-bro fast instead of slowly it really kind of came out of nowhere for me. Granted, I read serials like once every couple months so I don't remember all the nuances in between dives, but it is hard for me to come up with some explanation for why he has to cut up his brothers corpse or why he was interested in torturing Induen to death besides maladjustment at best.

I let myself be spoilered by this thread accidently, and when I got to the last chapters I was surprised I was at the end, and that this was what it was about.
Not shocking at all he decided to kill his 'brother', thats been coming for a long time. Suprising to me and the rest of the world that he was powerful enough to do so already. And he wasn't torturing him by having his arms and legs cut off - the world runs on video game logic, and he might just have a ring that ressurects him or some other powerful artifact if he doesn't stop that. Boss fight logic - no need to explain things directly every time.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Jackal Among Snakes lol

“This is someone’s dream,” Argrave mused.

“What?” Anneliese looked to him.

“You don’t want to know,” Argrave shook his head, then stepped beneath the pearl white teeth of the giant and into the stony corridors of its mouth.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Thank you for the continual discussion of Jackal Among Snakes. I tried it twice previously, didn't find myself hooked by the end of first chapter, and switched to something else. The third time I ended up trying it after seeing something intriguing in the Web Serial Thread, though, I ended up reading 30 chapters in one sitting. The characters are much more likeable than I thought at first. It could definitely use an editor, but I'm definitely enjoying seeing where this goes.

I'm most tempted to compare it to Mother of Learning. I'm enjoying it more that late MoL, but I think that Zorian definitely started stronger. Jackal Among Snakes has a bit of a tell-don't-show problem as well, but I'm really interested to see how that might shift as the author gains more experience.

It's always a treat finding a web serial you like that has hundreds of chapters out already, and I have this thread to thank for really brightening up what was looking like a pretty dull day. Best wishes to all of you!

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

avoraciopoctules posted:

Thank you for the continual discussion of Jackal Among Snakes. I tried it twice previously, didn't find myself hooked by the end of first chapter, and switched to something else. The third time I ended up trying it after seeing something intriguing in the Web Serial Thread, though, I ended up reading 30 chapters in one sitting. The characters are much more likeable than I thought at first. It could definitely use an editor, but I'm definitely enjoying seeing where this goes.

I'm most tempted to compare it to Mother of Learning. I'm enjoying it more that late MoL, but I think that Zorian definitely started stronger. Jackal Among Snakes has a bit of a tell-don't-show problem as well, but I'm really interested to see how that might shift as the author gains more experience.

It's always a treat finding a web serial you like that has hundreds of chapters out already, and I have this thread to thank for really brightening up what was looking like a pretty dull day. Best wishes to all of you!

Jackal Among Snakes is one of those stories with a premise (game wiki editor ends up stuck in the game and uses his inside knowledge to change everything) that sounds like it can't possibly make an actual good story, as opposed to at best mindless entertainment. But somehow it finds a way. It's got some great worldbuilding while also actually sticking close enough you can definitely tell how it's a world based on a (fictional) game, not just the author arbitrarily saying it was a game.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 6, 2022

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Yeah. It is good and has a consistent, fast release schedule which helps. I think it does have a rough start and wouldn't blame anyone for dropping it when the premise is "wiki contributor finds himself in game he has perfect knowledge of" but really starts to shine as his interventions make his future knowledge imperfect so he has to rely on allies while heading into uncertain future.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
We talking worth the candle levels of world building?

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

We talking worth the candle levels of world building?

No. I'm looking for stuff like that if anybody's got any suggestions though

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Demense is pretty good and has clearly put a lot of thought into world bulding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
ok why is the mc's name Lolilyuri is this a joke?