Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

Those are the prequel ones right. Those are actually good yeah. But it's definitely weird as gently caress reading an Asimov setting without his signature style. I mean frankly it's for the better, but it gives me dissonance

I mostly remember the uhh Benford one which felt extremely like he had a book he wanted to write and someone had paid him to make it a foundation book instead of a standalone (the one where, despite being in a setting where the earth is totally forgotten, they have simulations of Voltaire and Joan of Arc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Girl with All the Gifts (#1) by MR Carey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CO7FLFG/

Aloha from Hell (Sandman Slim #3) by Richard Kadrey - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LC1N1M/

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Kestral posted:

Gene Wolfe books are so dense with subtle elements that you won’t catch them all even on the second, third, and fourth reads - he’s famous for it. Don’t try to get everything, you won’t manage it; if you’re enjoying the experience, you can quite readily just let the text wash over you like a glorious fever dream.

Not sci fi (or IS IT??) but I was reading V. as I was recovering from covid and it was pretty much the same experience.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Steel Frame enthusiasts, FYI: Origin Complex just dropped

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Kesper North posted:

Yay. But is there really no print edition at all? Is that usual nowadays?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

genericnick posted:

Yay. But is there really no print edition at all? Is that usual nowadays?

Depends on your publisher, but it's not that unusual (though it's a bit lovely if it's not the author's choice).

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think they pretty often sell a digital edition as soon as it's ready because it's like 100x faster to make and eventually they sell in print later.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Just got an Amazon reminder that the third in Adrian Tchaikovsky's 'Children Of..' series CHILDREN OF MEMORY has just dropped, so that's my next evening or two sorted.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

Awesome, getting to it right after I wrap the new Twenty Palaces.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Just got an Amazon reminder that the third in Adrian Tchaikovsky's 'Children Of..' series CHILDREN OF MEMORY has just dropped, so that's my next evening or two sorted.

We're going on an adventure!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I still have to wait until January in the US >: (

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 23, 2022

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Tiny Timbs posted:

Oops, All Publisher Machinations! I never understood stuff like this, especially if the early release is in a small market and the big market doesn't get it til after, it's like you're asking for a hefty slice of piracy. Globally synced releases please.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Oops, All Publisher Machinations! I never understood stuff like this, especially if the early release is in a small market and the big market doesn't get it til after, it's like you're asking for a hefty slice of piracy. Globally synced releases please.

I will slice this gordian knot by preordering and then finding a copy.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

That is ridiculous to have that much delay. I wonder if it’s because they don’t want to split ebook and paper release dates and there is a backlog on paper publishing?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
my disappointment in seeing i can't get that book has been slightly tempered by learning this has a title.

quote:

Lords of Uncreation (The Final Architecture)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Any opinions on Steel Crow Saga?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

hmf I got the 'Book available' message this morning,

go to download it and it's nowhere to be seen; look at the store page and

Make your mind up pls.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
And now, new in trippy Horror - Sci-fi genre: eventual consistency! (Probably not, really).

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

Any opinions on Steel Crow Saga?

I enjoyed it well enough when I read it last year, though the thing I remember the most about it is a scene with a hardcore chicken that wants to bathe in the blood of its enemies.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Kesper North posted:

I just came here to post this. I enjoyed Steel Frame and have been anticipating another book from Andrew Skinner. Eager to hear folk's impressions of this one.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
Just finished up The Cipher by Kathe Koja and i think it’s the grimiest book I’ve ever read? I felt unclean just reading it. I think it could work well as a Cronenberg flick. It’s also a great snapshot of late 80s slacker culture: everybody’s a skinny underemployed artist, smoking cloves and skipping showers, showing up at the main guy’s apartment to drink awful beer and swap insults. You really get the sense that (nearly) everyone in the book would let you down in increasingly depressing ways.
Objectively, it could use a bit more plot, or explore a bit more of the concepts they do introduce (what’s up with the runes on the bug wings? Why have the guy imply he’s dream-writing the poetry of the damned and then he never writes another poem for the rest of the book? What are the “paths” everyone else sees in the cursed videotape?), but I guess some questions are best left unanswered

Also read The Raven Tower and it was fine. The ending kinda fell flat for me, and I’m not sure I understood Hill’s motivation, but I liked the whole “all gods can only speak the truth” thing.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Blade Itself (First Law #1) by Joe Abercrombie - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TOT9LDK/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are you guys aware of any good high seas fantasy ? I don’t mean Tim Powers, I mean is there a (good) fantasy series that is set in the 17th c. Caribbean with the serial numbers filed off instead of 14th c. Europe with the serial numbers filed off

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Ken Liu’s Dandelion Throne series has plenty of seafaring. It’s a Southeast Asian island pastiche though, not Caribbean.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That’s fine. I notice that a lot of fantasy series have seafaring folk in the background but never about the seafaring folk themselves. I suppose the ideal series would be Aubrey and Maturin sailing around in Middle Earth

E: googling around I see a lot of recs for Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb, anyone read that?

zoux fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 24, 2022

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

zoux posted:

Are you guys aware of any good high seas fantasy ? I don’t mean Tim Powers, I mean is there a (good) fantasy series that is set in the 17th c. Caribbean with the serial numbers filed off instead of 14th c. Europe with the serial numbers filed off

I've got Child of a Hidden Sea and A Clash of Steel: A Treasure Island Remix both hanging out in the to-read pile - can't vouch for their quality, and they're both YA if you prefer to avoid that kind of thing.

Deeplight by Frances Hardinge is aces though (still YA, but she's definitely one of the writers who transcends the category).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hardinge is the absolute tits, she's fantastic

mewse
May 2, 2006

zoux posted:

That’s fine. I notice that a lot of fantasy series have seafaring folk in the background but never about the seafaring folk themselves. I suppose the ideal series would be Aubrey and Maturin sailing around in Middle Earth

E: googling around I see a lot of recs for Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb, anyone read that?

I really liked all of Robin Hobb’s stuff. I don’t remember exactly what liveship traders was about but I think it spent a lot of time in port. For high seas fantasy I think the baru series has a bunch of sailing, and 2nd book of gentleman bastards by scott lynch

e: not fantasy but tai-pan by james clavell is a swashbuckling book that’s a fictional account of the opening of hong kong by european traders

mewse fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 24, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh I’ve read all of Clavell

I ended up grabbing Liveship Traders, I’ll let y’all know how it is. I’ll probably check out deeplight as well

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Runcible Cat posted:

Deeplight by Frances Hardinge is aces though (still YA, but she's definitely one of the writers who transcends the category).

Deeplight owns. It's grotty and atmospheric and full of gorgeous worldbuilding details, and the relationship between the two main characters is really unique, nuanced and heartbreaking.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

zoux posted:

William Hope Hodgson wrote a bunch. I don't know if I'd call them good.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

zoux posted:

Oh I’ve read all of Clavell

I ended up grabbing Liveship Traders, I’ll let y’all know how it is. I’ll probably check out deeplight as well

Fair warning, for me and a couple others at least, the beginning drags, until suddenly everything picks up and stays up

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

anilEhilated posted:

Awesome, getting to it right after I wrap the new Twenty Palaces.

Bruxism posted:

I just came here to post this. I enjoyed Steel Frame and have been anticipating another book from Andrew Skinner. Eager to hear folk's impressions of this one.

:stare: I'm about 4/5ths done with it :stare:

Book good

We're learning a lot more about what the gently caress happened and why. The answers are quite satisfying, and an equally satisfying set of new mysteries have been revealed. I'm in the endgame of the book now - we've been running parallel to the events in Steel Frame and I suspect we may run into the NorCol survivors soon.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Going to need to find time for this in between playing Tactics Ogre and finishing The Lost Metal.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

???

Amazon says Jan 31, 2023.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Benefit of an Amazon UK account from my time living in London

:sickos:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Adrian is so prolific, kinda crazy.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It appears that they have added complications to the old "change your shipping address to 10 Downing Street" trick. :-/

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

zoux posted:

If you haven't read the Temeraire books they started as A-M fanfic but with added dragons. Only read until you stop enjoying them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Maybe it's for the best, I'm halfway through Matter right now anyway