Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
The suit that he wore in Delirious is timeless, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
It still has incredibly funny parts.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Ultraklystron posted:

James Acaster is pretty sharp and figured out how to make being a good person a solid starting point for bit: https://youtu.be/adh0KGmgmQw

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

Trying to figure out here if Louis CK jacking off in front of every woman he can trap in a room with him is rear end in a top hat or insane, before realizing that he was never actually funny.

Actually, Louie the TV show was good, but his full length comedy specials are really mean without the other bits to balance it.

lucky louie was better than louie

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

icantfindaname posted:

musk is a guy as dumb as trump who has spent his entire life surrounded by upper class white south africans and the nazi stanford tech investor clique. as weird as trump is i have to say he is actually much more normal than musk. there are a lot of people like trump in the united states, i'd have to say very very few like musk

Seen on FB

Beeftweeter posted:

its worth noting chappelle's show had other writers too. i can't know if he has ghostwriters for his standup (unlikely), but having some other funny people able to cast a veto on something is pretty important i think. like qirex said a lot of the show was intentionally transgressive and offensive, although from a satirical perspective that was lost on a lot of people
it also made him ridiculously wealthy and as others pointed out, was critically acclaimed. i think he just got a bit too far up his own rear end to the point that there's nothing but rear end now

Neal Brennan did a ton of the writing and actively claims co-creator status on Chapelle Show, and he co-wrote Half Baked too

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

i will :confused:

its got some problematic content for sure but it made me laugh pretty drat hard at times. my middle school vice principal made me watch it with him when i got suspended for making fun of someone lol

I remember the bit where he shits on bill cosby being funny as hell, especially in retrospect

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
https://twitter.com/rpnickson/status/1585644952914395137

perks? a green cookie on st. partrick's day? it didn't use to be this way, it didn't use to be this way at all

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Lol loving starlink powered. You'd need your goddamn cyber truck to power the drat thing.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
now, what was i laughing at again

oh yes, that fired irishwoman

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Kazinsal posted:

I remember the bit where he shits on bill cosby being funny as hell, especially in retrospect

Yeah, there's some parts that aged like rotten milk (anything about sexual minorities) and there's parts that were almost prescient (the Cosby stuff.) The best comics can only hope it's a mix. Even Carlin, rightfully lauded as he is, has some bits that are just straight punching down (like his bits on overweight people.) Still, that's normal for comics - social mores change.

When a comic's latest material can't read the room, that's on them. That's their job.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Beeftweeter posted:

https://twitter.com/rpnickson/status/1585644952914395137

perks? a green cookie on st. partrick's day? it didn't use to be this way, it didn't use to be this way at all

Someone check if this guy has been sending Elon handwritten letters about how much he loves everything he does, and whether Elon's been replying.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

one of my fav eddie murphy bits has to be the one about the "mcdonalds" hamburger his mom used to make.

An cruiscin lan
Mar 4, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x_QSyo86MM&t=3s

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Lol loving starlink powered. You'd need your goddamn cyber truck to power the drat thing.

I think he means it will use starlink connectivity instead of cell modems. I'm sure there's no real reason that starlink base stations are the size of a pizza box, right? And that initial setup thing where they deploy and point themselves in the right direction is just for show, naturally.

As for power, he says the phone will be solar powered. Gonna get a lot of solar power in your pocket I'm sure. Even if the whole back of the phone was just one big high efficiency (20%) cell you'd still only be collecting an absolute maximum of 2 watts on a sunny day at the equator with the phone face down. That's still like 8 hours to charge an iphone.

God these people are so STUPID

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Sagebrush posted:

I think he means it will use starlink connectivity instead of cell modems. I'm sure there's no real reason that starlink base stations are the size of a pizza box, right? And that initial setup thing where they deploy and point themselves in the right direction is just for show, naturally.

As for power, he says the phone will be solar powered. Gonna get a lot of solar power in your pocket I'm sure. Even if the whole back of the phone was just one big high efficiency (20%) cell you'd still only be collecting an absolute maximum of 2 watts on a sunny day at the equator with the phone face down. That's still like 8 hours to charge an iphone.

The only reason we don’t have this already is because tech employees are lazy and don’t have real jobs. Imagine if they worked more than 4 hours a week, we’d be back to proper tech magic. Just like Geohot said! Not enough ambition and hard work that’s what I always say

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

Twerk from Home posted:

Actually, Louie the TV show was good, but his full length comedy specials are really mean without the other bits to balance it.

louis getting destroyed by david lynch was p. funny

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Sagebrush posted:

could have just seen that the guys username has a .eth link in it and arrive at the same conclusion without reading the tweet at all

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

RokosCockatrice posted:

Are there good standup comics these days? Also a lot of problematic stuff if you go back to the greats from the 80's/90's so the art form is in a spot.
i think stewart lee is amazing but he’s extremely not everyone’s taste

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’ve been enjoying the crowd work stuff that stavvy and matteo lane do

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

The only reason we don’t have this already is because tech employees are lazy and don’t have real jobs. Imagine if they worked more than 4 hours a week, we’d be back to proper tech magic. Just like Geohot said! Not enough ambition and hard work that’s what I always say

imagine if instead of working on a shitposting website 7000 people worked on making mri better or something similar

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I’ve been enjoying the crowd work stuff that stavvy and matteo lane do

I never listened to cumtown but from the fact that nobody mentions them anymore since stavvy started doing really popular standup I get the feeling he was the only reason to listen to them

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

i think stewart lee is amazing but he’s extremely not everyone’s taste

he’s really let himself go though

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

champagne posting posted:

imagine if instead of working on a shitposting website 7000 people worked on making mri better or something similar

that’s how we get epic

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Kazinsal posted:

I never listened to cumtown but from the fact that nobody mentions them anymore since stavvy started doing really popular standup I get the feeling he was the only reason to listen to them

it could also be that they stopped making cum town episodes and started a new show instead op

ghostal
Jul 13, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

Adam and Nick became The Adam Friendland Show. They're working on making it a 'late night' show, so the energy has been slightly off while they sort that poo poo out. Stav and his infectious laugh track was a big part of the Cumtown formula though.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

RokosCockatrice posted:

Are there good standup comics these days? Also a lot of problematic stuff if you go back to the greats from the 80's/90's so the art form is in a spot.

taylor tomlinson is pretty great

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Stavvy is from cumtown?

I can see why people may have listened to it lmao

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2022/1125/1338351-twitter-injunction/

quote:

An Irish-based senior executive with Twitter has secured a temporary High Court injunction preventing the social networking giant from terminating her employment.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i am sure musk will respect that decision and instantly involve her in the ongoing discussions and reorganizations

100%

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

lmao if my boss stops giving me work but can’t fire me I call that a win for myself

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

people have such weird ideas about how much power you can get ou tof solar panels. i have a foldable solar panel that will recharge a phone in like 6 hours maybe. it's something that could work if you're on a 2 week hike, but if you're only gone for a weekend, just bring a powerbank, it's lighter and more compact. hell, bring 3 large powerbanks

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Wheany posted:

people have such weird ideas about how much power you can get ou tof solar panels.

Absolutely yeah. I think it's just that most people have no scientific or technical or mathematical literacy and treat electronics as magic boxes.

The math is not hard. At the earth's surface, maximum solar irradiation at noon at the equator is about 1kw per square meter. The best solar cells can turn 20% of that into electricity, so 200 watts. Multiply 200 by your available collector area in square meters, then compare that to the power draw of your device that's stamped on the bottom or on its charger. That's your absolute best case scenario. Now start thinking about latitude, weather, angle, shade, use pattern...

It's stuff that a smart fifth grader can understand. Yet these Adult Fans of Elon don't get it

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Sagebrush posted:

Absolutely yeah. I think it's just that most people have no scientific or technical or mathematical literacy and treat electronics as magic boxes.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah there's no way in literal, bright-rear end burning hell a solar thing would be at all usable for a phone. maybe charging one, but using it as an active power source? lol

i have a power bank i got for emergencies and its a pretty hefty thing thats about a quarter of the size of a cinderblock but just as heavy. poo poo didn't fully charge after leaving it in direct sun for over a week

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

wind ftmfw

also sea &c

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
tim release the hydroelectric phone

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I’m just the fan of using a phone that arguably talks to a cell network but still uses starlink for the internet

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I like to go to REI and look at all the ridiculous camping gadgets. My favorite is the thing that will supposedly recharge your cellphone with burning sticks cause they put a little thermoelectric generator and USB port on the side of a small cylindrical camping stove.

It was also like $400 so I'm never gonna buy one but I can't imagine it works that well as a charging station. Maybe you get 10% battery while making your morning coffee.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
just use the coffee machine as a steam generator. simple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ok well now I want to build a little total-loss turbine the size of a beer can that you just balance over the fire and it charges your batteries.