Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

A little off topic, but uh

how spooky we talkin'?

Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the general idea is to put out between 3 and 7 transmitters on different frequencies, with some sort of cryptic, but decipherable pattern fed from environmental sensors. and then let people figure out that it's all a system built to work together (yet each transmitter would be autonomous and between 10-100 miles from the next one)

like one would chirp out a beep that's proportional to the ambient temp
another one would transmit one letter in morse code when it's dark out, and a different one when it's light out
another one with a rain sensor set up so that it only transmitted if it was not raining etc.

with enough logging of the data somebody would eventually figure out the patterns and at least have a theory as to where they are

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ultraklystron posted:

It's bad that I can't tell if the pictures are satire, right?

it's definitely satire

if it were real, they'd be sending those pics via DM

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

A little off topic, but uh

how spooky we talkin'?

not quite irdial coronet project spooky

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

RokosCockatrice posted:

Are there good standup comics these days? Also a lot of problematic stuff if you go back to the greats from the 80's/90's so the art form is in a spot.

hannah gadsby is pretty good. probably start with Douglas before Nanette; the latter is less straight-up comedy, even though it's really drat good

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Both Amazon and Microsoft tried and failed lol

Twitter also tried and failed! How have we all forgotten the Peek?!?!?!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FCKGW posted:

i did indeed forget the peek. lmao

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

RokosCockatrice posted:

Are there good standup comics these days? Also a lot of problematic stuff if you go back to the greats from the 80's/90's so the art form is in a spot.
Daniel Sloss, particularly Jigsaw.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

FCKGW posted:

i really hope musk finds a case of these during a coke filled rummage through the basement and uses them for his elonphone

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
tbh a cheap little 3g twitter-only tiny appliance would've probably sold pretty well before the proliferation of smartphones

thats a big caveat though. these days there'd be no chance

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

speak for yourself, I'd love to be able to tweet and not receive any external information

and people getting mad at me would only improve the experience

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Tesseraction posted:

speak for yourself, I'd love to be able to tweet and not receive any external information

and people getting mad at me would only improve the experience

you can make a tweet focus mode. as a treat

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

FCKGW posted:

quote:

The screen only displays the first 20 characters of each message. To read more, you have to dig down by hitting the 'return' key. Then you can step through tweets, slowly, one by one, with the 'n' (for next) and 'p' (for previous) keys, or jump back up to the unreadable full list of truncated messages.

that's amazing
you control the entire hardware, for your single-function device, and the best you can do is "hit p and n on the keyboard"?????

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

starting to see why this bold innovative design didn't succeed

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the lack of directional buttons with a big honking blue scroll bar is the first thing that stuck out to me

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Beeftweeter posted:

tbh a cheap little 3g twitter-only tiny appliance would've probably sold pretty well before the proliferation of smartphones

thats a big caveat though. these days there'd be no chance

I get the feeling a lot of companies thought "the time between regular and smart phones" would last a lot longer. The iphone came out in 2007, first version of android was 2008 and by 2012 over half of US users had smartphones.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

the lack of directional buttons with a big honking blue scroll bar is the first thing that stuck out to me

oh man they should have had a crank

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Pinterest Mom posted:

I still think the crank idea on the OLPC was cool :(

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

hey with enough imagination you still could

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
something like the panic playdate with a keyboard would probably still do well if they could get the price down to like $30

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
sell monthly subs that have an unlimited amount of data (also rate limited and firewalled into twitter). broader web access for more

that'll be $44 billion please

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Pinterest Mom posted:

that's amazing
you control the entire hardware, for your single-function device, and the best you can do is "hit p and n on the keyboard"?????

mutt ergonomics on a physical device

impresive

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the multiple Facebook phone attendance were even funnier tbh

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Jonny 290 posted:

the general idea is to put out between 3 and 7 transmitters on different frequencies, with some sort of cryptic, but decipherable pattern fed from environmental sensors. and then let people figure out that it's all a system built to work together (yet each transmitter would be autonomous and between 10-100 miles from the next one)

another one would transmit one letter in morse code when it's dark out, and a different one when it's light out
another one with a rain sensor set up so that it only transmitted if it was not raining etc.

with enough logging of the data somebody would eventually figure out the patterns and at least have a theory as to where they are

What's the code for "mysterious lights pass overhead while you pretend to sleep"?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

this is his current pinned tweet lmao https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1596428695090044928?s=20&t=Eo6jCxXsHjV3WzgNDtfUgw

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if it wasn’t powerful people saying it the ideas that people should be able to be who they are without violence and hate speech is bad is a “virus” would be much funnier

these morons really believe their reductive fascist bullshit is not only the correct way to think but that most people would agree with their super extreme views if not for this insidious brain disease being spread by (((those people)))

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

that's amazing

from the morons that brought you linux text editors

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol he really thinks "woke mind virus" is going to make people like him

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hmm that's a very :thunk: number there musk

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1596439328338890752?s=20&t=qufrZoTZyc03_LlYXDbt4w

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
let's eradicate the wealth mind virus

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

let's eradicate the wealthy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’d love a money edition of hoarders where they make them look at the stupid crap they own and get rid of it

“you have this Picasso, it’s been in a crate in a storage facility for 15 years. wouldn’t you feel better if you gave it to a museum?”

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
"no. no, the picasso belongs in a crate" would be a way too common answer

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

This absolute clown thinks VHEMT is a new expression of the woke mind virus, lol

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Beeftweeter posted:

"no. no, the picasso belongs in a crate" would be a way too common answer

"I'm saving that for my grandchildren"

"What if your kids don't have any?"

"Then I'll disown them and hang this in the tomb in which I'm buried."

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the voluntary extinction movement was around long before the word 'woke' was common in political discourse. i remember hearing about them as a kid back in the 90s.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Here's a new Latin phrase for Elong to learn.

tempora mutantur, et nos guillotinamur CEOs in illis

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

they did manage to fit two shifts keys into it though...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Jonny 290 posted:

Couldn't people just work together and triangulate their location without ever figuring out what the signals meant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

loving coward, you want to front someone like the edgelord you are go with :nms: these guys :nms:

the front page is ok but there is some extremely :nws: stuff behind the front page so be cautious if you start clicking.