Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Delphisage posted:

"Why did that spell"?

Which scene?

Stupid me, stupid keyboard. I guess "spell" has the same swipe morons as "work" and I didn't proofread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Fabricated posted:

I don't think the anchor scene supports the Great Man theory? It's just saying one person can do a lot of damage and the anchor suggests collective resistance to that would be better? That seems entirely consistent with the series so far.

Where does she support collective resistance? She just says "people should stop supporting AFO". Plus "a single person can change anything" is easily something that can be used to say "Deku is the only one who can save the world".

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Delphisage posted:

Where does she support collective resistance? She just says "people should stop supporting AFO". Plus "a single person can change anything" is easily something that can be used to say "Deku is the only one who can save the world".
She's suggesting people should resist AFO. I also don't think it can be read as "Deku is the only one who can save the world"?

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Rhonne posted:

So if Toga used Twice's blood and unleashed Sad Man's Parade...what happened to Uraraka and Tsuyu?

who?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rhonne posted:

So if Toga used Twice's blood and unleashed Sad Man's Parade...what happened to Uraraka and Tsuyu?

One of the Twice clones is holding part of Asui's goggles.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

One of the Twice clones is holding part of Asui's goggles.

And wearing one of Uraraka's armbands too, I think.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
this poor dumb bastard couldn’t figure out how to have kurogiri help the villains while keeping the shirakumo twist going.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
dabi should be dead. there's no reason for him to still be kicking

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

FireWorksWell posted:

And wearing one of Uraraka's armbands too, I think.

Nah that's his normal outfit

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

tbp posted:

his willpower is just SO STRONG. and also his eyes and lungs and tongue and throat and brain are immune to fire i guess.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

tbp posted:

But then we wouldn't get to see Endeavor prove how good a dad he is by beating his son!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

tbp posted:

Dabi is such a fuckup he can't even die right.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Dabi is going to live in the end, but he's just going to be a hosed up skeleton man on life support for the rest of his life.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Man, I wish there were as any sense of progression going on in these final battles aside from "And then the villains pulled out some new bullshit." I can't even be sure if Spinner is down for the count because of the Dabi fake out.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Electric Phantasm posted:

Dabi is such a fuckup he can't even die right.

That was his origin story

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Something about that weatherlady’s speech is just weird to me.

People don’t talk like that in any language, Hori

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Something about that weatherlady’s speech is just weird to me.

People don’t talk like that in any language, Hori

It's not the official translation, right?

Scholtz posted:

Nah that's his normal outfit

oops

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I'm starting to come around to the idea that Hori introduced this stupid AFO taking over shirageki's brain and coming back into control of the movement storyline because if this was juts Shirageki and his buddies trying to take over these villainous turning of the tables would come off way more emotionally resonant than anything he's written for the heroes. Like if this was normal rear end regular Spinner trying to save his buddy and dying to free him to aid Shiggy, this would be the side you'd give a poo poo about.

Even the dabi poo poo would just be "You know what, go get your poo poo dad you little loser"

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm starting to come around to the idea that Hori introduced this stupid AFO taking over shirageki's brain and coming back into control of the movement storyline because if this was juts Shirageki and his buddies trying to take over these villainous turning of the tables would come off way more emotionally resonant than anything he's written for the heroes. Like if this was normal rear end regular Spinner trying to save his buddy and dying to free him to aid Shiggy, this would be the side you'd give a poo poo about.

Even the dabi poo poo would just be "You know what, go get your poo poo dad you little loser"

nah it'd be just as contrived

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Jen X posted:

nah it'd be just as contrived

Oh it would be, but there'd be at least 1 character you could possibly give a poo poo about doing something instead of literally taking away character from them so they're effectively mindless husks going through the motions.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Oh it would be, but there'd be at least 1 character you could possibly give a poo poo about doing something instead of literally taking away character from them so they're effectively mindless husks going through the motions.

But then we'd get a bunch of complaints about a gang of manchildren figuring out all these complex schemes by themselves. That was the issue I heard people had with Shigaraki - an inability to take him as seriously as AFO because he's just a brat who wants to destroy things for the sake or fun of it.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 25, 2022

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Delphisage posted:

But then we'd get a bunch of complaints about a gang of manchildren figuring out all these complex schemes by themselves.

What complex scheme? This whole thing was started by them just running at the heroes and then they all got teleported around. "Oh poo poo I should go get OUR teleport guy to regroup" isn't something beyond even Dabi, let alone not critically stupid man Spinner.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

What complex scheme? This whole thing was started by them just running at the heroes and then they all got teleported around. "Oh poo poo I should go get OUR teleport guy to regroup" isn't something beyond even Dabi, let alone not critically stupid man Spinner.

Good point.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
All for One is a pretty stupid guy all things considered, his plans tend to boil down to throwing quirks at people he hates.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

TheHan posted:

All for One is a pretty stupid guy all things considered, his plans tend to boil down to throwing quirks at people he hates.

AfO is a petulant manchild.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

AfO is a petulant manchild.

No wonder he sees so much of himself in Shigaraki.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

TheHan posted:

his willpower is just SO STRONG. and also his eyes and lungs and tongue and throat and brain are immune to fire i guess.

He's burning hot enough to affect weather continents away, but he's also still "super weak to fire." None of this makes any sense.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Woozie66 posted:

He's burning hot enough to affect weather continents away, but he's also still "super weak to fire." None of this makes any sense.

The twist is probably something like "AFO secretly gave Dabi the power to be immune to his own flames". But he's not immune to Endeavor's flames because shut up.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
He manifested a second quirk, "temporary plot armor"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I don't think I like this series anymore.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
So how is Deku supposed to shoot a giant laser beam to defeat his enemies if none of his quirks can shoot lasers?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Delphisage posted:

So how is Deku supposed to shoot a giant laser beam to defeat his enemies if none of his quirks can shoot lasers?

He kicks Gearshifted air particle lasers at people, of course, since that affects things he touches, and you can touch air, so...

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

i continue to believe that the out-of-nowhere "dabi's quirk is actually phoenix-type stuff for some reason" theory that was briefly bandied about would have been better than any of this

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I don’t think I have really been too into this series since Endeavor vs Nomu, which has issues but was thoroughly cool. I’m really hoping this series can pull up, but the fact that I don’t see a way for the heroes to win without some really dumb power of friendship making Shigaraki turn against AFO or something else dumb, we’re probably set for some stuff that feels like really big plot devices out of nowhere.

At least we have been getting some really nice character designs like Nagant, Star and Stripe, and one-off news reporter.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Valentin posted:

i continue to believe that the out-of-nowhere "dabi's quirk is actually phoenix-type stuff for some reason" theory that was briefly bandied about would have been better than any of this

His Quirk hasn't actually been named yet, has it?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Do you really have to name 'I burn stuff' though?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It's named cremation (in one of the games).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
More like immolation :comeback:

But lol that you don't have Quirk categories and everything must get its own name.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Valentin posted:

This would be a lot cooler than generic shonen willpower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Viz: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-374/chapter/25855?action=read
M+: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1014708