Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Was Takopi's Original Sin also this...meanspirited? I try to give stuff at least three chapters but the most recent Ichinose chapter left a VERY bad taste in my mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Balache404 posted:

Was Takopi's Original Sin also this...meanspirited? I try to give stuff at least three chapters but the most recent Ichinose chapter left a VERY bad taste in my mouth.

yes, the thread for it originally drew comparisons to Goodnight Punpun but it was really closer to something like Narutaru without any breaks. the author's got a real yen for kids showing off psychopathic cruelty

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah Takopii doesn't hold a candle to Punpun. I held out hope Takopii would go somewhere interesting and that the over-the-top meanness of the series was meant to contrast with Takopii himself, but it just fell flat imo.

The one-shout about the kid that wants to kiss Angelina Jolie was pretty good though. Not amazing or anything, but was fine enough. I'm sad it seems the mangaka is going for more of Takopii and less of that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah Takopii doesn't hold a candle to Punpun. I held out hope Takopii would go somewhere interesting and that the over-the-top meanness of the series was meant to contrast with Takopii himself, but it just fell flat imo.

The one-shout about the kid that wants to kiss Angelina Jolie was pretty good though. Not amazing or anything, but was fine enough. I'm sad it seems the mangaka is going for more of Takopii and less of that.

The one about the guy whose kid brother becomes a mangaka, Hero Complex, is good too. A lot of his stuff has bullying and abuse as a theme, sometimes to absurd extremes, but the one shots have left me more hopeful than Takopii.

Not confidant, necessarily. But hopeful.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Silver2195 posted:

Cipher Academy is interesting, despite elements that will inevitably lose something in translation. There’s a vague suggestion of political satire you wouldn’t expect in Jump.

The harem element (in the sense of the protagonist being a boy in an overwhelmingly female milieu) initially struck be as an unnecessary cliche here. It’s weird because I didn’t realize the main character was male until the other characters explicitly mention it halfway through; I’m not actually sure whether it was intended as a reveal or not (is the protagonist’s name usually a boy’s name?). But it feels like the series might be going somewhere interesting with it.

I skimmed back over the first part of the chapter, and you don't get the MC's name until after you find out they're male, but with their gender presentation leaning femme and the line about everyone getting to wear pants at the beginning, it reads to me as a reveal. I didn't get the vibe that you did about there maybe being a plan for it, but hopefully it's not going down the harem route (although it's set up where it could go that way).

Other notes:

-Blue Box/High School Family: Pretty funny that both of these series are doing the same plot points of the main male character finally making a move on their crush during their class trip while the female side character who was crushing on them has to learn how to deal with rejection. I think the big difference for me is that while I'm glad to see Taiki finally ask Chinatsu out in Blue Box, in High School Family Kotaro picked the wrong girl :colbert:

-Sakamoto Days: At this point I feel like this arc's dragging on a bit too much. Instead of jumping back to the Sakamoto fight, we're now going to a new fight? I know it'll at least be good, but I'd like to see Sakamoto finally deal with the Director dude first and talk about why he seemed way more comfortable presenting as a woman, HMM

-Witch Watch: Still don't trust the older sister-type character, but we at least avoided a relatively early betrayal. Also lol at the end of the chapter where after all of that plot reveal, they go "well, it could be a long month" between now and the eclipse. Plenty of time to get back to normal!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: Man, Urara is fuckin' intense! I wonder if she'll be the one to teach Akane a new story, or if she'll be giving Akane a hint/tip on how to go on forward with forming connections? Can't wait to see what her addictive rakugo is like!

Elusive Samurai: Man this horse guy is friggin' crazy and it's hardcore as hell. Get tied to a horse, abuse it till it dies, then eat it raw. Also Tokiyuki's (overly) high expectations of his retainers is cute. Dude really loves his crew and thinks the world of them.

G&G: Pretty standard shounen chapter.

Ichinose Family: Morbidly curious what sorta direction the series will go in, so I'll stick around.

Mashle: He's finally back... or at least he will be soon?

Me and Roboco: Sorta forgettable chapter for me. I legit had to check what it was about.

Sakamoto Days: drat, Order vs (ex) Order matchup! I mean, I guess Sakamoto vs Camera Guy is also that (since Sakamoto is ex Order too), but this one's more official-feeling! Can't wait to see Shishiba finally fight this time around.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Still don't know who Mr. Blandcake is up there, but i approve of the newest member of the harem.

Or wait.... no.... is that...

She picked Altaïr over Ezio????
loving heretic.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 29, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

Cipher Academy is interesting, despite elements that will inevitably lose something in translation. There’s a vague suggestion of political satire you wouldn’t expect in Jump.

The harem element (in the sense of the protagonist being a boy in an overwhelmingly female milieu) initially struck be as an unnecessary cliche here. It’s weird because I didn’t realize the main character was male until the other characters explicitly mention it halfway through; I’m not actually sure whether it was intended as a reveal or not (is the protagonist’s name usually a boy’s name?). But it feels like the series might be going somewhere interesting with it.

Shiina Ringo has a song called Irohanihoheto (obviously referencing the poem) that immediately came to mind when it was referenced in the chapter - https://m.bilibili.com/video/BV1Nh411f7c9 (couldn't find the the music video on Youtube)

I think it was also used for the OP or ED for some J-Drama.

I'm not getting any harem vibes yet, despite the premise. None of the side characters so far except for the main sorta-antagonost girl (and maybe the inventor girl?) seem to be presented in that way.

I like how the glasses basically just give hints about what to pay attention to. That's often my biggest problem with puzzles like that; they're too open-ended and I don't know what to focus on.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Shiina Ringo has a song called Irohanihoheto (obviously referencing the poem) that immediately came to mind when it was referenced in the chapter - https://m.bilibili.com/video/BV1Nh411f7c9 (couldn't find the the music video on Youtube)

I think it was also used for the OP or ED for some J-Drama.

I'm not getting any harem vibes yet, despite the premise. None of the side characters so far except for the main sorta-antagonost girl (and maybe the inventor girl?) seem to be presented in that way.

I like how the glasses basically just give hints about what to pay attention to. That's often my biggest problem with puzzles like that; they're too open-ended and I don't know what to focus on.

Note my parenthetical qualification when I talked about the “harem element”; I’m not saying it will turn into a dumb ~wacky~ romcom like Tokyo Demon Bride, or even that there will be much of a romance element. I didn’t even think of the black-haired antagonist girl as a love interest, although I guess it could go in that direction if she starts to rethink her militaristic ideology. I’m just saying that stories with a male protagonist and an overwhelmingly female supporting cast normally rub me the wrong way; whether the female characters are love interests or not, it tends to come across as the main character being special just because he’s male. I don’t think Cipher Academy is doing that, though; the main character’s importance so far seems to be that he’s just the right balance of smart and dumb, while not having a preexisting connection to the military industrial complex, to be a useful pawn to the inventor girl.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sakamoto Days has me googling sanjiegun trying to find one of those and I can't find any that have blades on one end, even from movies, do those have a specific name to them or are they embellished to be more lethal?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RareAcumen posted:

Sakamoto Days has me googling sanjiegun trying to find one of those and I can't find any that have blades on one end, even from movies, do those have a specific name to them or are they embellished to be more lethal?

Its a kinda common thing

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its a kinda common thing

I mean yeah, I was trying to look for the actual name of it vs a picture of a real one rather than use Bleach as an example.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The SJ app just got the new Promised Neverland collection which has a couple of one shots by the creative team as well as a new epilogue to The Promised Neverland.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I remember nothing about The Promised Neverland’s ending. I know I read everything, but I only remember the first arc.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It ends with everyone getting to regular Earth but Emma is separated and loses all her memories.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/11/25/trigun-stampede-trailer-changes-inspired-by-the-mcu/

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

This site is a bit of a nightmare, but did they mean this trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjtssO7s6Oc&ab_channel=CrunchyrollCollection

The only thing I got from it was that Wolfwood doesn't smoke cigarettes anymore and Millie has been replaced by some dude called Roberto Del Niro.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nilbop posted:

This site is a bit of a nightmare, but did they mean this trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjtssO7s6Oc&ab_channel=CrunchyrollCollection

The only thing I got from it was that Wolfwood doesn't smoke cigarettes anymore and Millie has been replaced by some dude called Roberto Del Niro.

And the last part we already knew (still not sure why they decided to cut her out though)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The first chapter of Versus the new ONE manga is out

https://mangadex.org/chapter/7d5085ee-d129-473d-9e26-fd6fdf99ddc7

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

did he ever finish one punch man? murata's nearly caught up to the most recent chapter I remember reading

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They're on roughly chapter 95 of 141, and it's not finished.

It only updates very sporadically these days though because it's more a hobby project and ONE's main job is writing the manga adaptation and now Versus. It wouldn't be surprising if the manga passes the webcomic eventually.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 26, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

quote:

Noting that Vash the Stampede was one of his favorite heroes, Takei – despite claiming that retconning Nightow’s original manga didn’t quite sit right with him – told attendees that Trigun Stampede was inspired by the way “Marvel reworks and reinterpret the storylines of comics for the MCU.”

“Since the majority of anime adaptations aren’t like that wondered if that kind of experimentation was possible in Japan,” he asserted.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I never finished reading Trigun maximum. It got real weird then I couldn’t find the rest of it anywhere near me. Knives is a way bigger prick from what I remember.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is this weekly or monthly? Setup is real good and I'm looking forward to see where this goes.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is this weekly or monthly? Setup is real good and I'm looking forward to see where this goes.

Setup is bizarre. I want to see more as well.

Maybe they’ll swap places. The tech enemies can’t defend against magic,while the demons can’t defend against guns.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I like the premise.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm surprised by how different the art looks from Tenkaichi, if I was going into it blind and you told me it was by Murata I'd probably believe it. I guess the artist decided to hew very closely to his style. On the other hand a lot of it is character designs, which could be One's doing.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 26, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Electric Phantasm posted:

I would tell you, but I didn’t actually check.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
According to google, it's published in Monthly Shonen Sirius.

So that answers that I guess.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
More loose adaptations are a good idea, IMO. I like that we have both the Fullmetal Alchemist manga and the 2003 anime, for example.

There's also a place for panel-for-panel adaptations, of course. What I'm not such a fan of is the in-between adaptations where it's mostly panel-for-panel, but they cut out some scenes in a way that makes the characterization shallower while introducing minor plotholes, while adding some fanservice (in the non-sexual sense) scenes that also make the characterization shallower while introducing minor plotholes. (Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood comes to mind.) Though I'm maybe a hypocrite about this because I like the Phantom Blood anime adaptation, even though it's guilty of this at times.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Adaptations need to be just that and generally panel for panel remakes won't work.

That said, I will be pissed if EG Mine gets a glow up and we don't get the proper roller skate samurai Rai-Dei. :mad:

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
At the point you change so much it starts losing its recognizable parts, I get that there's a charm to it but it does feel equally like just riding IP coattails.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Boy I am not really feeling any of the new series. The art work is good but none of the plots are grabbing me. I'll give it a few chapters for each before making a decision though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Undead Unluck
Fully Sick.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I agree, I'm also not really feeling any of these newer series. This week's Witch Watch was a lot of fun though. I'm a little surprised it hasn't gotten an anime yet, especially since Kenta Shinohara had one with his last series.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's been awhile since a Witch Watch punchline got me laughing.

Sakamoto Days: I want a Dango Man2 shirt

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if ichinose doesn't change the channel in the next two chapters i'm just going to assume TAIZAN5 has a degradation kink and move on, this is just as one-note as takopi so far

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Holy poo poo, PPPPPP went a direction I did not expect. Actually seeing a glimpse of what Gakuon's piano playing is like, and then actually killing off the mom! The way the "good" Lucky was drawn like a puppet on strings, with his words in quotes, was pretty haunting compared to his siblings. I'm guessing that true self of his will come out against his next sibling fight. I can't believe a manga about piano can have me so shocked each week about what is about to happen.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Akanebanashi: Goddamn Urara has stage presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ichigoke strangely had pretty good tsukkomi but pretty bad boke. it's a very odd combination.