Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Sanji wouldn’t even be able to hit Enel, much less defeat him

ban this sicko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It would be a pretty fun what-if to go back and see the modern Straw Hats clown on their old foes. Maybe have one of the games cover all of the major arcs, then let you go back as Gear 5 Luffy or Raid Suit Sanji with absolutely no balancing whatsoever.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Gyges posted:

So, all the Seraphim are devil fruit powered modified clone/cyborg hybrids, who play off the innate abilities of the original. However, one thing that One Piece has made very clear is that every swordsman/woman gets good through hard work and dedication. Swordsmanship isn't innate, it's earned. So why is Seraphim Mihawk a sword dude?

It's probably going to be attributed to lineage factors

Also, I imagine Shank changed his fighting style after he lost his dominant hand. Rather than rely on technical swordplay, seems like nowadays Shanks fights mainly through haki. so dueling against the guy throwing mega hadokens all the time probably isn't great practice

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Maybe Vegapunk can make Shanks a new arm, either mechanical or cloning.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It would be a pretty fun what-if to go back and see the modern Straw Hats clown on their old foes. Maybe have one of the games cover all of the major arcs, then let you go back as Gear 5 Luffy or Raid Suit Sanji with absolutely no balancing whatsoever.

It's why I am praying that Robin and Franky get to wipe out Lucci and Kaku this arc

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Uta's cocaine habit is pretty bad.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jerusalem posted:

They're all good, but the one of Im is great.

Yeah it's great, everyone's going about their lives while Uta's music plays in the background, and then you have Im, who just loving destroyed the dial. Big foreboding final boss vibes.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

side_burned posted:

Uta's cocaine habit is pretty bad.

I don't understand JP but I think it's Uta's reactions to specific episodes of the One Piece anime.

147 is when Luffy and Zoro allow Bellamy and his crew to beat them up cause they don't find the Bellamy Pirates worth fighting. Also has Blackbeard's "A man's dream will never die!" bit. Uta's a bit miffed.

396 is the one where Luffy punches the Celestial Dragon (the same one who tried to buy Uta in the movie, so she really doesn't like him). Uta feels the catharsis.

417 is the one where Hancock falls in love with Luffy. Uta doesn't seem very pleased with this development.

1015 is the one with Yamato connecting Roger's words with Luffy's in a very beautiful piece of animation. Uta is very moved.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Honestly a common theme with a lot of fan artists I've found while looking up Uta art is that they were generally not One Piece fanartists, then Gear 5 / Film Red came out, and then suddenly they have like dozens of One Piece drawings in the span of a few months.

It really does feel like One Piece is on another Renaissance. Like, One Piece has always been massively popular, but Gear 5, the Final Arc, and Film Red all seem to have contributed to it skyrocketing back to peak popularity. Like, Alabasta, Enies Lobby, and Marineford War levels of popularity, or maybe even higher.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

It really does feel like One Piece is on another Renaissance. Like, One Piece has always been massively popular, but Gear 5, the Final Arc, and Film Red all seem to have contributed to it skyrocketing back to peak popularity. Like, Alabasta, Enies Lobby, and Marineford War levels of popularity, or maybe even higher.

Also maybe because One Piece is probably in its final major arc so there's some hype building up in that sense too.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

It really does feel like One Piece is on another Renaissance. Like, One Piece has always been massively popular, but Gear 5, the Final Arc, and Film Red all seem to have contributed to it skyrocketing back to peak popularity.

anecdotally, I just started and came in because of the combo of gear 5 + the final arc.

just got to reverse mountain and I am a big fan of crocus

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

alkanphel posted:

Also maybe because One Piece is probably in its final major arc so there's some hype building up in that sense too.

I did mention the Final Arc!!!!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I did mention the Final Arc!!!!

Oops my reading is failed! That's what I get from reading too fast.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'll forgive you because you have an afro.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think when A Big Long Piece Of Media makes public moves towards a conclusion, it draws in all the people who were like "Well, I'll maybe pick it up when it's over."

Same thing happened for the latest FFXIV expansion.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Oh, is FFXIV coming to an end?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No, but the latest expansion was the "conclusion" of the game's overarching story until that point. They're making more, but it's telling new stories in the world.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Lpzie posted:

Do we agree that Enel was just making those numbers up for the attacks, right?

Is there a reason to think they were made up? If I saw somebody no-sell 100 million volts to the face i'd react the same way Enel did.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
I mean, if nothing else Enel has no frame of reference for what a "volt" is. Unless someone on Skypiea developed a voltmeter that could both withstand his power and also uses the same measure of a volt we do in reality.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

When you're a lightning guy you just know.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

LanceKing2200 posted:

I mean, if nothing else Enel has no frame of reference for what a "volt" is. Unless someone on Skypiea developed a voltmeter that could both withstand his power and also uses the same measure of a volt we do in reality.

Yeah but that falls into the same category as some of Luffy's attacks. How does he know what a UFO is? Is Norse mythology canon to One Piece and that's how he knows Thor?

Edit: \/\/\/ - Adding on to that, when has Luffy ever seen a jet?

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 28, 2022

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I demand to see Luffy explain what he thinks a gear is

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
It depends on how precise you want to be I guess. Is Enel's attack EXACTLY 100 million volts as we in reality would measure it? Probably not. Is Enel lying about it's power for dramatic effect? Maybe?

It's tough because we see so little of Enel fighting (outside of fighting Luffy, who is immune no matter what the number is).

IIRC he uses his powers to destroy large parts of the sky island, but for all we know that's easy to do, they're just thick clouds, and I don't think he actually kills any named character he hits with lightning (although real life humans survive direct lightning strikes all the time so that's not too crazy).

Skypiea as an arc is written with him being very much the terror he claims to be, but Oda could pretty easily retcon him to be weaker if he wanted to, or as others have said, have him be even stronger post-timeskip.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I got the idea that if he did like a 10 million volt attack, that’s pretty strong, but a 100 million volt attack would be an order of magnitude stronger.

Also have we seen a Gatling gun at all?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

This is the closest thing to a gatling gun from a cursory google search. There's also a image of Coribou wielding what looks like a cross between a shotgun and a gatling gun.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I'm guessing Luffy also read* comic books as a kid. Maybe East Blue was less super sentai and more mecha?

*Looked at the cool pictures and got the gist

e: Actually, Franky was from South Blue so maybe that's the mecha comic sea

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Gray Terminal probably had all kinds of stuff tossed in there Luffy might've run across

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Also have we seen a Gatling gun at all?

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Firearm#Gatling_Guns

A few, even as early as Alabasta!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

LanceKing2200 posted:

Any user of the Goro Goro no Mi can measure how many Goro Goro units they're composed of, which they use as a base for measuring how many Volts are in their attacks.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

This just brings into question the tech level of this world and how widespread it is.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

This just brings into question the tech level of this world and how widespread it is.

The One Piece world seems to be fairly modern in practice despite the 18th-century trappings. Even the "flintlocks" actually work more like modern pistols.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Guns already suck in OP without taking a minute to reload.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Good finds on the Gatling guns. Makes me wonder if Luffy has some gun-related trauma in his past that makes him fixated on them but not use them.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
In Romance Dawn little baby Luffy compares the strength of his fists to gunshots, I don’t think it’s meant to go much deeper than that.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Good finds on the Gatling guns. Makes me wonder if Luffy has some gun-related trauma in his past that makes him fixated on them but not use them.

Yeah that definitely sounds right

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Fawf posted:

Gray Terminal probably had all kinds of stuff tossed in there Luffy might've run across

Looking forward to the flashback story of Luffy, Ace and Sabo dubbing anime for the other Goa Island orphans.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Silver2195 posted:

The One Piece world seems to be fairly modern in practice despite the 18th-century trappings. Even the "flintlocks" actually work more like modern pistols.

Early One Piece definitely has that period piece flavor to it, but as the years went on I get the sense Oda started getting more and more ideas that would have been limited by strictly adhering to that concept, which is how Den Den Mushis powercrept into handwavy stand-ins for basically all forms of modern communications technology.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Today's fanart is a single piece by 龍心雪穗 (@gn0043138895661) on Twitter. Their art does contain R-18 stuff (only a few, but better to be safe) so I'm just gonna post the one piece (heh) that I really liked. This is another artist who just started doing a ton of One Piece art (well, mainly Luffy and Uta) all of the sudden.

https://twitter.com/gn0043138895661/status/1571198232847613957

The gist is (as far as I can tell), Uta wakes up, tries to wake Luffy up, Luffy wants to sleep for 5 more minutes, and Uta gives in.

5 minutes later, Luffy's still asleep and Uta fell back asleep on top of him.

It's cute is what it is.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Brandfarlig posted:

Guns already suck in OP without taking a minute to reload.

It is completely wild to me that Izou showed up and their entire thing was just rocking flintlocks. Killed a CP0 agent with one, while already beat to poo poo themselves. Has a sword sometimes but no thanks, I do guns. Just plain drat weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Guns in One Piece are insanely powerful, they took down Whitebeard and even Doflamingo used them as his execution weapon of choice.