Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

in one of the runs i thought 'oh good it slows down in this one' but it turned out to just be one that they ended in slow mo to showcase the stroller flying through the air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

ADINSX posted:

lol its hauling rear end over those speed bumps too, what a joke

yeah it’s going at least 25mph. probably some ai model thinks it’s a divided street. unsafe by design

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

taking a "death of the poster" approach to posting criticism, similar to musk's "death of the driver" approach to automotive safety

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol i love hearing about quebec dubs, that slaps

king of the hill (henri pi sa gang) is really outrageous, they just fully commit to the bit of "this takes place in rural québec" so you'll get this scene of henri standing two feet away from his texas clock whining that he's lost a step ever since he found out he was born in new york - he got a trivia question wrong about montréal in the previous scene.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

this owns

I'm sad my french never got good enough when I lived in YUL to really immerse myself in quebec tv like this

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lmao that owns too

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

king of the hill (henri pi sa gang) is really outrageous, they just fully commit to the bit of "this takes place in rural québec" so you'll get this scene of henri standing two feet away from his texas clock whining that he's lost a step ever since he found out he was born in new york - he got a trivia question wrong about montréal in the previous scene.

That's not a texas clock, it's a jelly donut clock

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

The Simpsons worked amazing because they deliberately live in a non-specific town, so you’re free to replace all references with limited loss of commentary.

They tried the same in KOTH and as time went on, the issues kept getting worse and worse and more glaring as everything is extremely situated, sort of like if you took the Silicon Valley tv show and tried to make it about accountants instead of tech.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

FAUXTON posted:

I ran across it in the early 2000s when someone at university was like "HAW HAW LOOK AT THIS" and it came off like a masturbatory take on Calvin and Hobbes, nowadays we have the word "incel" to cover that kind of thing

To be fair, it's more of a masturbatory take on Bloom County.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

full self woke mind virus trying to kill humanity

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

eat your poutine bobby

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

3hands posted:

taking a "death of the poster" approach to posting criticism, similar to musk's "death of the driver" approach to automotive safety

"Death of the pedestrian" and "death of the baby carriage" as well

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Just wait until that bazinga that did the highly edited live child tests tries that again with babies.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lol the top comment for the YouTube test video is “30mph in a parking lot????”

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mystes posted:

That's not a texas clock, it's a jelly donut clock

made me giggle :shobon:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv5LEjeWz-E&t=16s

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Pinterest Mom posted:

yeah Henri pis sa gang didn’t really work in translation imo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also look at the screen in the longer video where it shows its predicted path, even when it's not about to hit the child, and it's just flickering randomly all over the place at parts

e: lmao in one of the tests it does at least slow down when it detects it hit the stroller and turns to go around it... running over the baby in the process

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 28, 2022

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Eeyo posted:

eat your poutine bobby

poutine and poutine accessories

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://twitter.com/CryptoCanuk/status/1597019613388099585

pathetic

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

okay so in earlier pictures i just assumed the body didn't have like, the outer skin on it yet, but it's supposed to loving look like that???

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

:pathetic:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I don't think I even hate Lonny any more. Alright, a little bit, since he and everybody else was endowed by his creator with a sense of right and wrong and he ought to know full well that's a malignant piece of poo poo. But it almost feels like being mad at a dog for pissing on the carpet at this point.

It's the gormless loving fanboys that will attach themselves to the most pathetic vaguely-Great-Man-shaped man (it always has to be a man) they can find who is willing to play the part. God knows we're in a rough spot when the best Great Man candidates they can find are Donald Trump and Elon loving Musk jfc. Eliminating fanboyism or at least shaming them into shutting the gently caress up forever would solve a disproportionately large chunk of the world's problems.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Shame Boy posted:

okay so in earlier pictures i just assumed the body didn't have like, the outer skin on it yet, but it's supposed to loving look like that???

it's the laziest possible way of making a metal 3d-ish shape (slice into contours, cut out with plasma or waterjet, assemble in line) and you can do it with a single button in meshmixer

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
The Elon Goat thing is a crypto scam, right?

1) If Elon even mentions a crypto thing the price will spike
2) We make elon goat token
3) We make a statue that surely Elon will have to acknowledge
4) Rugpull?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pseudopresence posted:

4) Rugpull?

these days, generally speaking, if you have to ask, it's a crypto scam

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pseudopresence posted:

4) Rugpull?

the token was to raise money to build the statue, which everyone in the bitcoin thread assumed was just a scam to run away with the money. now that they've actually built it, i think they're just legitimately that pathetic.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
looks like maciej "machine learning is money laundering for bias" cegłowski is writing again, and it's on topic :getin:

https://twitter.com/idlewords/status/1597004813027676161

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

TheFluff posted:

looks like maciej "machine learning is money laundering for bias" cegłowski is writing again, and it's on topic :getin:

counterpoint: musk and his merry band of bazingas should absolutely blast themselves off to mars, because the earth will be rid of them and they likely won't even make it there before killing each other over arguments about who is supposed to cook the meals and clean the toilets

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
It’s amazing how fast Twitter went from a mix of progressives, libs and chuds to libs and a majority of chuds. In three more weeks of twitter isn’t completely dead it will be drat near completely chuds

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FlapYoJacks posted:

It’s amazing how fast Twitter went from a mix of progressives, libs and chuds to libs and a majority of chuds. In three more weeks of twitter isn’t completely dead it will be drat near completely chuds
But without libs to own, the chuds will - my god, brandon will inherit the tweets

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

The_Franz posted:

counterpoint: musk and his merry band of bazingas should absolutely blast themselves off to mars, because the earth will be rid of them and they likely won't even make it there before killing each other over arguments about who is supposed to cook the meals and clean the toilets

Right, let them load up the Golgafrinchan Ark Fleet Ship B and head off to colonize.

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

is there a krugerrandcoin yet? could be the official cryptocurrency of mars

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

3hands posted:

is there a krugerrandcoin yet? could be the official cryptocurrency of mars

dunning-krugerrand is another word for cryptocurrency

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

pseudopresence posted:

4) Rugpull?

yep, exactly

they're hoping he'll tweet about it or respond in any way at all, and the free advertising spikes the token price momentarily so they can immediately sell all their holdings at a massive profit before the price crashes again

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

akadajet posted:

the “musk’s texas gigafactory online exchange”
from days ago but :discourse:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

TheFluff posted:

devil's advocate on point 4, the ISS is a massively different scenario than a mars or even a moon colony on account of being a tin can that smells like a gym locker room that's falling sideways at 7.6 km/s, and scary stories from Mir are almost entirely summarizable with "the soviets cut the funding off for three years mid-design to blow on the buran project and the resulting space station was an unsafe pile of poo poo"

my favourite terrifying Mir fuckup is that several of the fire extinguishers on board literally could not be removed from their storage locations by design, which is something the crew found out the hard way when one of the oxygen generators caught on fire and spewed toxic smoke everywhere. also discovered the hard way during that incident was that some of the emergency respirator masks were just straight up broken

it physically pains me to say that if you gave me the option between going up to space in a soyuz or dying in 50 years having never left this rock I would have a very hard time convincing myself to get into a russian spacecraft

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
the space shuttle being politically-motivated garbage that miraculously only killed 14 astronauts in a 30 year span and SLS being heavily delayed and built from remanufactured shuttle parts is also not proof that NASA is "beyond saving" even though I'm sure that's going to be the main premise of that section

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

the space shuttle being politically-motivated garbage that miraculously only killed 14 astronauts in a 30 year span and SLS being heavily delayed and built from remanufactured shuttle parts is also not proof that NASA is "beyond saving" even though I'm sure that's going to be the main premise of that section

it’s known as the “senate launch system” for a reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
mars permanent habitation is pointless and a terrible idea. there is almost no value to being on mars. there’s no current path to a self-sustaining colony, which means relying on supplies from earth for the foreseeable future.

mars can be colonized when we can send robots that will essentially bootstrap a self sustaining human habitat. and by bootstrap I mean:

build a solar power plant
build plants and reactors to extract useful input materials from the atmosphere and soil.
build factories to produce various polymers, graphene products, etc
build a refinery that can extract metals and other elements/minerals from the soil
build a foundry that can create high quality alloys
build a machine shop that can form the metals and other inputs into precision parts.
build a cement factory and gather aggregate.
build a silicon fab and other computing technology component manufacturing capability.

assemble more robots and machines and batteries and lubricants and iterate on the above at larger scale and improved capability. repair and replace damaged equipment with manufactured components.

build factory to liquify polar ice and a conduit to get it to the colony site.
build huge greenhouses filled with refined soil, oxygen extracted from the water, compressed co2 from the atmosphere, water, and seeds for plants adapted to survive high radiation.
farm to produce food, gather, process, and store.
dig a huge underground living space, reinforced with concrete, atmospheric sealants, and radiation shields.
fill living space with compressed nitrogen extracted from atmosphere and o2 from the greenhouses.
prepare to receive guests

when we have robots that are capable of autonomously doing this then we can colonize mars.