Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I love how they say "possibly crib death", Like why hedge your bets on that one?

Speaking of anti-rock nonsense, there was that one comic where Batman hates it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

uber_stoat posted:

sounds like a wild ride for sure.

cranks never really recovered from the trauma that rock n roll music inflicted upon them.

sure love councils. i should form a council, make some waves.

Christians eat this poo poo up uncritically; "Why would they lie?"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Christians eat this poo poo up uncritically; "Why would they lie?"

they really loved this guy for a while. thank you, Jack Chick, for educating me about John Todd.

quote:

Todd was arrested in May 1987 for the rape of a University of South Carolina graduate student. After his arrest, he was additionally charged with sexually molesting two children who attended a karate school where he worked. He was convicted of the rape in January 1988 and sentenced to 30 years in state prison.[16] In June 1988, Todd, through his defense attorney, requested the return of a pair of pink women's panties, 64 photographs, two survival knives, a knife sharpener, a handgun, 99 cassette tapes and three copies of Todd's book 'How to Build an Ark: A Practical Guide to Survival'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Todd_(conspiracy_theorist)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh man, my folks were into all that back in the 80s, they had a bookshelf full of that kind of conspiracy and eschatology stuff. They even had one on satanic toys:

I remember that one the most thanks to sneaking peeks at it and uncritically accepting anecdotes about things like a little kid's troll doll coming to life, I was terrified of those things.

They moved quite a bit back from that by the 90s, but it was a very weird thing to have sort of sitting there in the background. On the music side, it had some fallout like us just not really listening to even older rock music until high school age. It felt like a big step to start listening to even the Beatles, and I spent way too long vaguely assuming bands like Pink Floyd were all in some sort of imagined "offensive metal" genre. It was a very weird time and I'm glad to be past it, I imagine a lot of it being pre-ubiquitous internet added to it a lot.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh man, my folks were into all that back in the 80s, they had a bookshelf full of that kind of conspiracy and eschatology stuff. They even had one on satanic toys:

I remember that one the most thanks to sneaking peeks at it and uncritically accepting anecdotes about things like a little kid's troll doll coming to life, I was terrified of those things.

They moved quite a bit back from that by the 90s, but it was a very weird thing to have sort of sitting there in the background. On the music side, it had some fallout like us just not really listening to even older rock music until high school age. It felt like a big step to start listening to even the Beatles, and I spent way too long vaguely assuming bands like Pink Floyd were all in some sort of imagined "offensive metal" genre. It was a very weird time and I'm glad to be past it, I imagine a lot of it being pre-ubiquitous internet added to it a lot.

Just imagining Christian parents denouncing The Indian in the Cupboard as a Satanic conspiracy.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
That's just weird.
Ah yes, Yeshua ben Yusef of "you cannot love both god and money" fame, would surely think that bad words in songs is the biggest threat facing 80's full-bore hypercapitalist america.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Captain Hygiene posted:

What the heck is that thing between He-Man and the Care Bear? I guess a Transformer, but everything else is pretty recognizable. The artist really just gave up on that one.

The only other one I don't recognize is the weird jester with a sword on the left, but I'm guessing he's supposed to be a generalized representation of D&D.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Why is Yoda so buff? Why is that Care Bear so angry? Why are there two He-Man toys? Was He-Man just that Satanic? So many questions.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Knormal posted:

The only other one I don't recognize is the weird jester with a sword on the left, but I'm guessing he's supposed to be a generalized representation of D&D.

The design is very similar to an actual D&D action figure I had when I was a kid:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Knormal posted:

What the heck is that thing between He-Man and the Care Bear? I guess a Transformer, but everything else is pretty recognizable. The artist really just gave up on that one.

Yeah, I think it was a mishmash of early generation 1 Transformers back when they were pretty blocky, I think it's just a halfassed ripoff of ones like this guy:

Lord Hydronium posted:

Was He-Man just that Satanic?

Oh absolutely, He-Man was at the top of the forbidden list just on moral grounds. Everything was weird, they were all using magic, and the badguy was a skeleton man!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh man this brought back memories! I never read the book but I've watched the full length video adaptation Philips made, titled Deception of a Generation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ7AQyE5DOY

The section on Barbie is great because he doesn't have any satanic connections to make, he just delivers a boilerplate bit about body image stuff! Also a highlight: watching him call forth satan with a voice changing feature on Skeletor's castle. Of course it ends with a sales pitch for the audiobook of Turmoil in the Toybox.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Zontar Video had a banger 2 hour compilation of fundie footage titled Perverse Preachers, Fascist Fundamentalists, and Kristian Kiddie Kooks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEcwJI2-6DA

Love the puppetshow guy whose intro is him almost dying in a motorcycle crash and finding Christ - "They scraped me off the highway!"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Oh man this brought back memories! I never read the book but I've watched the full length video adaptation Philips made, titled Deception of a Generation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ7AQyE5DOY

The section on Barbie is great because he doesn't have any satanic connections to make, he just delivers a boilerplate bit about body image stuff! Also a highlight: watching him call forth satan with a voice changing feature on Skeletor's castle. Of course it ends with a sales pitch for the audiobook of Turmoil in the Toybox.

Oh wow, I don't know that I have the stamina to check out more than bits and pieces of this, but I'm very tickled to find out it exists :aaaaa:

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The design is very similar to an actual D&D action figure I had when I was a kid:

Wonder where the good half of Zarak is.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:monocle::respek::tinfoil:

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Lord Hydronium posted:

Why is Yoda so buff? Why is that Care Bear so angry? Why are there two He-Man toys? Was He-Man just that Satanic? So many questions.

I had that book a long time ago, and the chapter on Masters of the Universe starts out by saying they would disapprove of He-Man no matter what because “there is only one Master of the Universe, and it is Jesus Christ.”

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Splint Chesthair posted:

I had that book a long time ago, and the chapter on Masters of the Universe starts out by saying they would disapprove of He-Man no matter what because “there is only one Master of the Universe, and it is Jesus Christ.”

lol

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Reminds me of a coworker who told another coworker he was “awesome” which drew a pained look. Person B later corrected him in private - he wasn’t awesome, Jesus was awesome.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jesus was way cool

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hilariously, this month’s Fortean Times arrived today, and uh. They’re inside the thread. :stonk:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:tinfoil:

I should check them out, they're pretty pricey even for a digital subscription though.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
lol at that Masters of the Universe ad

“He’ll only be a kid for a short time!!! Buy him all this poo poo or you’ll WASTE his childhood!!!”

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Captain Hygiene posted:

:tinfoil:

I should check them out, they're pretty pricey even for a digital subscription though.

I literally just subscribed to the Bigfoot Times and got my first issue the other day :)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Okay so now I have at least two magazines to subscribe to. Any more?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i have a collection of Fortean Times going from like 15+ years ago at my parents house. i should go find them before they get thrown out.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

feedmyleg posted:

Okay so now I have at least two magazines to subscribe to. Any more?

Fate's still kicking around though I have no idea what the quality's like nowadays

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've still got 1960 onward to collect of Fate.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

feedmyleg posted:

I've still got 1960 onward to collect of Fate.

Archive dot org has some nice archives of Fate, kind of random order: https://archive.org/details/fatemagazine

The Luminist archives have a full collection up to 1962 but that's just barely past what you said: http://www.luminist.org/archives/OC/FATE.htm

I've managed a pretty good spread with eBay lots, got some gap years and almost nothing pre-1960 but honestly I'd say I have at least 65% of the output from 1960-1990.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Haunted Magazine?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm more curious about that northernmost furry enclave in Alberta. I don't know how many fursuit owners a dot represents but it's very interesting that whatever tiny-rear end city that represents has enough of them to show up.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
This TikTok channel has a whole lot of lovely blurry "bigfoot" videos: https://www.tiktok.com/@squatchmenow

Typical example:
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7163439498993470763

:thunk:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That would appear to be potato camera lossyness.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Youtube randomly recommended me an old documentary about Bigfoot and I kind of fell down a rabbit hole of '70s Bigfoot stuff that I wanted to share with the thread. I was born in '83 but I watched so many of these kinds of documentaries on TV, or VHS, or in cheesy roadside attractions and visitor centers in rural Washington, Oregon, and northern California during summer vacations with my family.

Here's "The Mysterious Monsters" from 1976
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi99qwgUsZI

"Monsters! Mysteries or Myths?" from 1974
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgyRiJaQHAY

and "Bigfoot: Man or Beast?" from 1972
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H1Go48jL8M

There's just something comforting about this kind of paranormal media.

stereobreadsticks has a new favorite as of 16:45 on Dec 14, 2022

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Knormal posted:

I'm more curious about that northernmost furry enclave in Alberta. I don't know how many fursuit owners a dot represents but it's very interesting that whatever tiny-rear end city that represents has enough of them to show up.

I wonder if you can count just being completely wrapped up in furs as a "fur" suit. Gets fuckin cold up there. :thunk:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

As covered in the Christmas classic Pottersville. Still really curious how exactly that movie got made.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

stereobreadsticks posted:

There's just something comforting about this kind of paranormal media.

It's the same as telling stories around the campfire, I think. The spooky feeling you get when you allow yourself to suspend disbelief for a little while is quite cosy

Throw in the sedate pace and analogue warmness of classic 70s documentary media and it's just :discourse:

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Knormal posted:

that's Fort McFurry :v:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Knormal posted:

Northeast of Edmonton, right by the SK border... Lol I think that's Cold Lake

Which, it's not a very big city at all, but it is the site of one of Canada's two fighter jet bases! RCAF now stands for Royal Canadian Air Furries.

E: I know directions

Phy has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Dec 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

It's almost certainly been shared in the thread before, but this YouTube channel makes uncovered an old archive of 1970s-style cryptid documentaries, and it's one of my favourite things.

https://youtu.be/rXHIqljwrfs