Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

HGs usually have some extra on the v-fin tips to prevent injuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Midjack posted:

V-fin nubs are always annoying. You can take them down with some careful side cutter and blade work, or just sand them down.

Yeah, like I said I'll wait for my Raser to come in and sand it down later, I can do it with what I have but it took a while, and because these are smaller and seemingly more brittle I don't mind waiting.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Me looking at all the hand options on my kit: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

Me building all the hand options on my kit: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Am I the only one who prefers panel liner over Gundam market? Watching the capillary action in motion is hobby magic.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

War and Pieces posted:

Am I the only one who prefers panel liner over Gundam market? Watching the capillary action in motion is hobby magic.

I really do, but i had a bad experience on my MG Dynames where it weakened the plastic and turned brittle. Don't know what I did wrong and am paranoid to use it again on anything I really like.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
You need to have a coat of paint over the plastic to use enamel. Here's a paint chart

More info here!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

War and Pieces posted:

I saw the capillary action with a marker, so I'm a little bit confused

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

War and Pieces posted:

It's great but I did a number on my Moon Gundam because I didn't realize that you probably had to top coat it first

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are the G Witch Gunpla kits out yet? I checked with my local hobby shop and they're not getting in any G Witch high grades until February so they're on pre-order. I'm just wondering if there's a way I can get anything sooner.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The first batch of HGs came out in October, but a lot of overseas stores are just getting those first pre-orders out, so they're probably waiting to restock. There's also another batch coming out in Jan/Feb which might be what you're looking at.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

Arc Hammer posted:

Are the G Witch Gunpla kits out yet? I checked with my local hobby shop and they're not getting in any G Witch high grades until February so they're on pre-order. I'm just wondering if there's a way I can get anything sooner.

I was going to order some yesterday from Newtype and they are all listed there as not releasing until December. So I just bought a RG Hi-Nu instead :toot:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

The first batch of HGs came out in October, but a lot of overseas stores are just getting those first pre-orders out, so they're probably waiting to restock. There's also another batch coming out in Jan/Feb which might be what you're looking at.

I'm looking at the Zowort and the Llfrith Ur kits right now for my new year purchase.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, those two are part of the second batch.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
My store got a few G-Witch kits, but only the Begir-Bu.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Carteret posted:

I really do, but i had a bad experience on my MG Dynames where it weakened the plastic and turned brittle. Don't know what I did wrong and am paranoid to use it again on anything I really like.

You could try the pour type Gundam Markers, I believe they aren't as harsh as the tamiya stuff people normally use.

Edit: I use the Tamiya stuff still on bare plastic and have yet to have anything bad happen, but I also panel line while the pieces aren't assembled. It always seems like the biggest issue is using it on assembled pieces and the liner seeping into cracks.

If I have a bigger model, like an MG, I like to panel line while they are still on the sprue/runner personally.

(I do hear though that no matter what you definitely don't want it on bare ABS type plastic, but the instructions will tell you what each sprue/runner has on it)

boz fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 27, 2022

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Marx Headroom posted:

You need to have a coat of paint over the plastic to use enamel. Here's a paint chart

More info here!

Layman's guide is great for this stuff.

Also note that like it says on the link, it's not a hard and fast rule.

You can build up hotter paints on top of colder paints if you take time and use very light coats and allow sufficient drying time.

(Airbrushing of course. Your probably going to ruin anything if your brush painting due to the friction it requires)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do want to get the Zowort because it looks a lot like the Promethean Knight from Halo 4 which is about the only enemy design I actually like from that game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

boz posted:

(I do hear though that no matter what you definitely don't want it on bare ABS type plastic, but the instructions will tell you what each sprue/runner has on it)

Where does it say that?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
For Bandai stuff, it's in parentheses beside the sprue letter. (PS), (ABS), etc.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
FWIW, I've built 100+ kits with Tamiya panel wash with zippo lighter fluid for clean-up & never had anything become brittle. I don't paint it on, just let it run into the panel lines, then clean up 10 minutes later.

Not discounting anybody that had it happen; maybe I'm just lucky & my next kit will crumble like it has gold plastic syndrome :shrug:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
speaking of panel lining does anyone have any experience doing it with these nib pens? been using a very small brush but this seems more accurate

https://www.amazon.com/Hobby-Gundam-Military-Permeate-Seepage/dp/B09MM23V41

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

anyone else have trouble with the HG hyaku shiki and the gold pieces not seperating cleanly? maybe my nippers gone dull but it only seemed like it was an issue with those specific sheets.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Okay I'm not the biggest strike freedom fan but the mgex looks god drat incredible from the reviews I've seen.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009

Kuvo posted:

speaking of panel lining does anyone have any experience doing it with these nib pens? been using a very small brush but this seems more accurate

I've seen people talk about using fountain pens for it before, and the conclusion they came to was "not great". It's a bit difficult to control the release rate or something? Complaints about an initial blob, and then it being no different to any other type of marking tool. The video of it in action on Amazon, where they're clearly using it just to 'inject' the ink rather than draw with it, makes it look pretty good so it might work.

Your brush-based panel lining is very good judging from what you've posted earlier in the thread, so I guess you're looking at it from the perspective of saving effort? It's unlikely to be any worse than pour type markers, and ought to be a bit better than the brush that comes in the tamiya pots directly, at least.

---

For the benefit of new starters, as a starter myself (who has watched WAY too many videos on youtube lately):

If you're panel lining actual sunken lines in the plastic, then a "sakura pigma micron" type pen (a fineliner with ink that doesn't run, size say 003/0.15mm should get in most moulded parts) or pour-type panel liner (either gundam marker, or tamiya accent color panel liner applied by brush) will work best. If the line's not coming out clean with this method - for example when you go to clean up the application points you always take off too much - then take out a scribing tool (which may be a hobby knife blade, or even a needle - you can buy dedicated ones, and you don't need the crazy expensive madworks chisels for this) and SLIGHTLY, BARELY, deepen the lines a bit so the ink stays in them. Like three light scores tops, and make sure you're using something suitably thin enough rather than forcing in an entire blade. You'll need to use a damp cotton swab to clean up the odd spot, but it'll be hardly noticeable.

You can also use other brands of dedicated panel line wash if you have them around or your local stores carry them, though they tend to require a bit more coercing with the brush/applicator because they don't flow quite as well as the aforementioned two brands. You can use thinner/flow improver to help with that if you have the stuff lying around.

There are also model washes like GW's Nuln Oil. These are SLIGHTLY different to dedicated panel line washes, but not by very much - mostly it's a question of how much pigment it leaves behind whilst flowing and how thick it goes on at the first application. With these model washes you end up with a bit more pigment staining everywhere and you may need to do a bit more clean-up with the cotton swab. This is actually a sneaky way of doing shading as well as panel lining if you apply a couple of coats and clean up differently after each one so the lines are darkest, the edge dark, and the mid-panels pretty clean, though I've not seen enough people do it to know how good the result actually looks in the end.

If you're trying to line along changes in profile where there's no dedicated channel in the plastic, then you might use a pen like a micron or acrylic paint felt tip or apply paint with a small brush. You could also try gently scribing a small channel into the edge so it attracts panel line products, or build up a bunch of shadow in the region with applciation of real touch marker (or, again, model washes). Real touch markers rub off really easy though, and need to be sealed by a layer of varnish, so aren't something to rush out and buy. You'll want to seal in acrylic/micron too, ideally, but it's less urgent than with the real touch stuff.

For straight-up edge 'highlighting', say around the edge of a square forearm, where you're trying for a more outlined or cell-shaded look, then a paint brush loaded for edge "highlighting" or the felt-tip type acrylic paint markers (you don't really need to get the specific gundam marker brand for this, and can probably find some in your local supermarket) are the cheap and easy way to go. You just brush the side of the pen tip / brush along the edge gently, and it'll pick up the paint as you go.

When cleaning up application points and so forth, water'll do just fine most of the time, even with enamels so long as you get to it within a couple of minutes. 70%+ isopropyl alcohol or similar if you've got a bad puddle and water isn't helping. The swab should be just damp, use a paper towel to take off excess water - you're wicking up paint excess with it, not depositing water/alcohol (can be a pain with 99% alcohol because it tends to dry off so fast).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wdarkk posted:

My store got a few G-Witch kits, but only the Begir-Bu.

My store just got Guel's custom. It seems Japanese demand outstripped supply a good deal, meaning that smaller places can only pick up the less popular kits.

(Even the Ensemble Aerial is going for absurd amounts of money some places. Glad I grabbed the set when it was up for preorder. Might be a pain to get a little Graze otherwise.)

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Not gunpla, but gently caress it, it's cute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC-PttkDvpI

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Nullkigan posted:

I've seen people talk about using fountain pens for it before, and the conclusion they came to was "not great". It's a bit difficult to control the release rate or something? Complaints about an initial blob, and then it being no different to any other type of marking tool. The video of it in action on Amazon, where they're clearly using it just to 'inject' the ink rather than draw with it, makes it look pretty good so it might work.

With a fountain pen that's probably what is expect -they have a rounded ball at the end to make a constant line (and feel smooth on the page).

If people are interested, I can do some experiments with dip pens that have a sharp nib (which I think this "panel liner" is)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
My local hobby shop has a bunch of Warrior At the Borderlands kits that are sitting around. What's good in that line? I heard some praise for its kits.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wdarkk posted:

My local hobby shop has a bunch of Warrior At the Borderlands kits that are sitting around. What's good in that line? I heard some praise for its kits.

The Bunyip Boomerang is a fantastic kit and I love its leg gimmicks. The only partsforming is for the transparent chocks to keep the feet upright and the melee subarms too, it's a real good toy to fiddle with.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Remember to paint your Bunyip Boomerangs green and gold :australia:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

wdarkk posted:

The only I've bought is Ghost (because that's the only really good design in that show imo) and it was really fun, nice size on it too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wdarkk posted:

They're pretty much all well engineered kits.

The issue is that the show is dire, and they're on the expensive side if not on sale. If you don't mind the one and can work around the other, you probably won't go wrong with any design you like.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I saw the capillary action with a marker, so I'm a little bit confused

There's a few types of the panel liner Gundam markers and the 'flow' type does flow with capillary action, but most people use the fineliner type because its easier to control and has easier cleanup.

Stairmaster posted:

anyone else have trouble with the HG hyaku shiki and the gold pieces not seperating cleanly? maybe my nippers gone dull but it only seemed like it was an issue with those specific sheets.

Not all the Gunpla plastics have quite the same properties so yeah some of them are more brittle and temperamental than others. Puke style metallics are pretty bad, but by far the worst I've found is the high gloss types (like on RG Sinanju) that are so hard I'm afraid to use my good nippers on them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcjAUN5Ssj8

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
So, turns out Krylon primer will melt polystyrene if I spray it wrong, “craft foam safety” be damned. I should have tested it on a runner, but at least I only tested it on an HG Z’gok instead.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

CommunityEdition posted:

So, turns out Krylon primer will melt polystyrene if I spray it wrong, “craft foam safety” be damned. I should have tested it on a runner, but at least I only tested it on an HG Z’gok instead.

which of their primers did you use? I have not heard of it doing that on games workshop PS for example

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've never had that happen on GW models, or resin, the former should be polystyrene afaik

looks like the only info is that it's PS, with a few people claiming there's some ABS mixed in, but no one is able to back it up exactly.

edit: as I'm leaving reviews I see this monstronsity:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 28, 2022

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Kuvo posted:

I tried this with one of those, and my take away was it's fun to play around with, but ultimately the result didn't seem to be any better.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
If this is painted as weathered bronze-cast or stone monument, it'll still work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Marx Headroom posted:

I've heard on scale model chats that what you really need is a gloss coat. That protects the paint from the enamel wash, helps the panel liner's capillary action, and eases cleanup. It's truly amazing to see the panel liner just flow to where it's needed, it's like modelling magic. You just touch the brush with liner on it to a section of panel lines and it just flows. Again, like magic.

This isn't perfect, but...

I ended up stripping and re-doing the wings. Goddamn this kit is a fussy build.