Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

She’s just not gonna win no matter what she pilots. She’s not shown to be a capable pilot. And she’s not very smart either.

Unless she’s piloting a thermonuclear bomb that gets dropped on Mika’s head i can’t imagine a scenario where she wins and she’s in the drivers seat.

But yeah, the case can be made it would let her survive long enough to be extracted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overlordbunny
Feb 16, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Imagine if Carta had brought out this loving thing to stop the Barbatos

https://twitter.com/kill_warriors2/status/1596685224154664960?s=46&t=k6nZlJIFy474HDPH1U3KCQ

I love that that was one of the most effective mobile armor killers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

She’s just not gonna win no matter what she pilots. She’s not shown to be a capable pilot. And she’s not very smart either.

Unless she’s piloting a thermonuclear bomb that gets dropped on Mika’s head i can’t imagine a scenario where she wins and she’s in the drivers seat.

But yeah, the case can be made it would let her survive long enough to be extracted.

As Julietta demonstrates, Gjallarhorn pilots often just have to survive against Gundams to win. Carta could get Tekkadan into serious trouble if she holds them off for long enough.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

I wouldn't go that far. Her fights with Mika have her last longer than most mooks, and she figures out how to deal with the chaff pretty much immediately.

She's more naive than stupid, a moderately capable pilot with a decent machine and some grasp of classical tactics... but she assumes that everyone she meets will fight "properly", and that meant she'd be hard pressed to win with a Gundam and all the skill in the world, let alone an upgraded Graze and somewhat-above-average piloting.

Of course, surviving seems to have been a failure on a different level, as seen with Julieta. Carta just wasn't as stubborn as the monkey, not as determined to hold onto life even when she was bleeding out. Only buys a little time, but it can be enough to get you safely back to a medical facility, or enough to rip that one last pound of flesh out of your opponent.

overlordbunny posted:

The most effective, other than Agnika (who was basically Amuro kicking rear end in the RX-78). Carta's family held the top spot for their entire existence on the back of that thing's performance.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

chiasaur11 posted:

She's more naive than stupid, a moderately capable pilot with a decent machine and some grasp of classical tactics... but she assumes that everyone she meets will fight "properly", and that meant she'd be hard pressed to win with a Gundam and all the skill in the world, let alone an upgraded Graze and somewhat-above-average piloting.

Interchangeable in this situation. Naivety that gets you killed is stupidity.

I kinda like her but to think they are gonna play nice in that situation is terminal loving naivety , and I can’t feel bad for her except as being used by a tool by Mcpedo.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Blisster posted:

So did something weird happen during ZZ’s production? I slogged through the first half, and now that they have reached earth the show has completely changed. It suddenly feels a lot more like a zeta sequel. The writing and even animation seems markedly better, and there’s cool details like using boiling water to explode missiles, sand being a factor in the fights etc.

Stuff like that was totally missing in the first half which felt way more like a typical kid’s show. Lots of slapstick and creepy fan service instead. Also characters keep appearing and disappearing seemingly at random, where is Mashymre?

Overall ZZ feels like watching 4 separate shows that have been stitched together even within individual episodes. It’s super weird.

They wanted to start off a bit light after the finale of ZZ was a bit grim.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
It's simple, Zeta is anime and ZZ is not

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
True. Also Bright needed a break after dealing with enough BS in Zeta that he needed a different blend of BS for thr start of ZZ to unwind.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gripweed posted:

They wanted to start off a bit light after the finale of ZZ was a bit grim.

You can see Akihiro Endo, the main script writer for both Zeta and ZZ discussing his intentions in some old interviews like this one:

quote:

I think I will continue writing scenarios for “Zeta Gundam Part 2 (tentative title)” together with Ms Yumiko Suzuki, but we haven’t decided details yet. However, I could finish Part 1 properly by settling things as I would have liked, so I think it is pretty neat end. So, I am hoping to proceed differently from Part 1, as Part 2 is completely new series in my feeling.

There's no specifics, but he clearly wanted to establish ZZ as it's own thing separate from Zeta and giving it such a wildly different tone helps differentiate the cast and story from what came before, even if it segues back into the same kind of thing after a while once the show has settled itself.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Having the direct sequel to zeta, that like showed on the same timeslot the week after zeta aired having the slapstick and goofy tone was really, really stupid. It's complete tonal whiplash and doesn't match up at all with Zeta or the original gundam. Even the show itself struggles with it as the tone goes back and forth.

Hell I love Tomino's goofier shows, but they start and end that way. I mean, you wouldn't have, I don't know, an Ideon prequel, be a gag show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Having the direct sequel to zeta, that like showed on the same timeslot the week after zeta aired having the slapstick and goofy tone was really, really stupid. It's complete tonal whiplash and doesn't match up at all with Zeta or the original gundam. Even the show itself struggles with it as the tone goes back and forth.

Hell I love Tomino's goofier shows, but they start and end that way. I mean, you wouldn't have, I don't know, an Ideon prequel, be a gag show.

That would own though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And it DOES own. ZZ is great.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Monaghan posted:

Would you not?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/RedMufflerMan/status/1128786542372241408?s=20&t=BLW9pynZwmm5e8jdiyLVQg

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you were to throw down a pile of Gundam shows in front of someone who has never watched Gundam before would they be able to differentiate a UC title from an AU title?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Based on what? The title screen? The OP? The logo? The main Gundam(s)?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arc Hammer posted:

If you were to throw down a pile of Gundam shows in front of someone who has never watched Gundam before would they be able to differentiate a UC title from an AU title?
Colonies are tubes

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Nessus posted:

Colonies are tubes

There are O'Neill style tubular colonies in Gundam X, Gundam AGE and I believe, Iron Blooded Orphans too.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
if they get told the distinction then they can just choose whichever one looks like it's from the 80s or earlier. hell, even in recent UC material people still dress very retro

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

To a normie he AUs prior to AGE would blend in with the UC with the possible exception of Turn A

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

in my experience people unfamiliar with the franchise can not tell any robots apart past gundam vs not gundam so i don't think the UC vs AU aesthetic differences are going to particularly stand out

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No, wing, g, and 00 are too different aesthetically to lure them into thinking they share the same universe. And after they've got a few under their belt they'd quickly tell early UC from AU by virtue of the Zeon obsession non Tomino UC writers have

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

tsob posted:

Based on what? The title screen? The OP? The logo? The main Gundam(s)?

Overall aesthetic, I guess. What makes UC identifiable as UC. Because even something as modern as Hathaway still feels congruent with big hair 80s UC and I'm trying to nail down the defining characteristics. Like I can tell at a glance if something is UC or not even if I can't quite write it out in a way that doesn't also describe an AU show.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I think people are likely to assume Victory and F91 are AU, too

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Gaius Marius posted:

No, wing, g, and 00 are too different aesthetically to lure them into thinking they share the same universe. And after they've got a few under their belt they'd quickly tell early UC from AU by virtue of the Zeon obsession non Tomino UC writers have

The people maybe but not the Gundams themselves. but then the people in the UC vary wildly.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I love unicorn bright being drawn in a different style from literally every other character in the show

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

he looks like he needs glasses

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

I love unicorn bright being drawn in a different style from literally every other character in the show

It's gonna be super jarring when he shows up in Hathaway.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Azran posted:

I think people are likely to assume Victory and F91 are AU, too

they might as well be

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

overlordbunny posted:

Looking at the design, I'd bet those shields fold out like colossal switchblades to put those sharp edges to use.

And given what a half-wrecked Barbatos could do with ONE blade that size, yes I'd totally buy that thing was an MA-killing machine.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Looking at the design, I'd bet those shields fold out like colossal switchblades to put those sharp edges to use.

And given what a half-wrecked Barbatos could do with ONE blade that size, yes I'd totally buy that thing was an MA-killing machine.

I'd also note that the shields are mounted on a pair of heavy sub-arms, leaving the suit's main arms completely free. It presumably has some powerful hand-carried weaponry, too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Meanwhile, the second episode of the game has given some more worldbuilding details.

For something that was mostly covered in promo material, Mars and Venus were both being colonized pre-calamity, but Mars was moving faster, so with the war making

We also get a major currency in the setting, Meria.

100 billion Meria is enough to build a colony from scratch. 100 million is a lot of money, but merely very sketchy amounts of money to get rather than outright unbelievable.

(Meanwhile, 240 billion of the currency in Witch from Mercury is enough for a small startup. Not chicken scratch, but not enough to build a Gundam after paying salaries for the development team. It suggests that the currency in Witch is based more on the yen, while IBO's currency is closer in value to a dollar.)

We also get the suggestion that at least one Gundam has either AI or a neural interface that doesn't require a direct connection to integrated cybernetics, so that should be interesting.

(Also, given the leaks, it's pretty likely the goal of the hunt is going to be a Mobile Armor, which makes the people looking to get it seem more than a bit sinister.)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ninjewtsu posted:

in my experience people unfamiliar with the franchise can not tell any robots apart past gundam vs not gundam

They tend to be bad at that too

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arc Hammer posted:

Overall aesthetic, I guess. What makes UC identifiable as UC. Because even something as modern as Hathaway still feels congruent with big hair 80s UC and I'm trying to nail down the defining characteristics. Like I can tell at a glance if something is UC or not even if I can't quite write it out in a way that doesn't also describe an AU show.

I'll be honest, I think the only reason I know UC from non-UC is because I know from exposure which is which, and I don't think I could tell at a glance and with no actual context which was which. Not Gundams, not mobile suits generally, not characters, none of it. I think that even if I maybe could have done so in the past, that newer designs from guys like Ippei Gyoubu that are in use on manga like Moon Gundam tend to blur whatever line might have existed in my head in the past.

Darth Walrus posted:

I'd also note that the shields are mounted on a pair of heavy sub-arms, leaving the suit's main arms completely free. It presumably has some powerful hand-carried weaponry, too.

The first unit it brings to mind for me is the Ashtaron Hermit Crab. It doesn't actually have much in common with it visually, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if those huge shields were usable as massive clamps or claws it could pin an enemy down and/or tear them apart with.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The biggest UC vs AU indicator is the y/n on if 90% of the robots are obvious descendants of either the gm or the zaku. The second biggest one is probably the specific o'Neil cylinder colony design - there are other cylindrical colony designs in AUs but UC I think is pretty consistent in having all colonies look exactly the same (except for closed type vs open type). Even the cylindrical AU colonies have their own look to them, though I might be misremembering them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Gundam X very deliberately based it's backstory and setting off being an alternate take on the One Year War, so it's O'Neill cylinders are visually identical to those in UC. I barely remember the Earthsphere colonies in Gundam AGE beyond that it had them, but pictures of them that Google is throwing up make them look basically identical. A bit more fanciful in terms of mirrors perhaps, but essentially identical.

I guess the docks at the end are a bit different stylistically, but I don't think the difference is notable enough that it'd stand out for most people and frankly, there's enough variation on the various cylinders in UC over the years that I don't think it really stands out.

I think the Dort colonies and such in Iron Blooded Orphans were basically just regular O'Neill cylinders too, but I can't find any pictures of them on a quick search, so maybe someone more familiar with the show can clarify that. There is also a brief shot of some O'Neill cylinders moving after converting to deep space ships by adding engines during the Black History exposition scene in Turn A Gundam. Again, it's very deliberately aping UC for that though since the Correct Century in Turn A is meant to be a distant UC future.

On the other hand, G Gundam went full Looney Tunes with it's colonies, which were basically just islands covered in national identifiers floating in space with no consideration for the fact they were in a vacuum, Gundam Wing used something like Stanford Torus designs, Gundam SEED used it's own (really loving stupid technically, but pretty nonetheless) hourglass like designs for space colonies, Gundam 00 only had a few space colonies but the HRL Super Human Research Institute Allejuah was raised in was something like a Bernal Sphere and the only artificial colonies I recall in G-Reco were one built into an asteroid and one that was just a series of rings floating in space.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 1, 2022

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
And then you have G-Witch, where colonies are spinning toruses bolted to asteroids, with presumably the industrial plant inside the rock.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/w_saika_w/status/1597573967253938176?s=20&t=eKmaabsUkJeiL185litMPQ

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

ninjewtsu posted:

The biggest UC vs AU indicator is the y/n on if 90% of the robots are obvious descendants of either the gm or the zaku. The second biggest one is probably the specific o'Neil cylinder colony design - there are other cylindrical colony designs in AUs but UC I think is pretty consistent in having all colonies look exactly the same (except for closed type vs open type). Even the cylindrical AU colonies have their own look to them, though I might be misremembering them.

UC keeps the Federation uniforms all the way till G Savior, so that's the biggest tell. tho admittedly they're quite rare in Victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

For Seed, it was specifically PLANTs which used the hourglass design. Which makes zero sense for me since I don't think it even works physics wise.

Heliopolis was an O'neill cylinder before it's axial pillar had an unfortunate encounter with anti-fortress missiles and a particle cannon.

I don't remember what the Mendel group was. I think they were O'neill, but that's probably mental revisionism on my part and I've got too much to do today to go look it up.