Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Thanks, but I think I'll ignore the situation where somebody tells me about their crushing cancer diagnosis, and I just stare awkwardly for a while, and when they ask me what the gently caress is wrong with me I tell them "I couldn't think of a totally unique take on the situation that you won't have heard before"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I will fart in a mournful yet profoundly empathetic way, like the foghorn of a distant trade ship

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i simply allow my malformed brain to continue feeling nothing

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

General Battuta posted:

Like me, personally? Are you asking me to rephrase my posts? Or just people in this situation in general.
Sorry, I should've been more clear - that was me using unspecific you.

John Lee posted:

Thanks, but I think I'll ignore the situation where somebody tells me about their crushing cancer diagnosis, and I just stare awkwardly for a while, and when they ask me what the gently caress is wrong with me I tell them "I couldn't think of a totally unique take on the situation that you won't have heard before"
That's.. not really what I was saying, but you do you.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

John Lee posted:

Get a load of Siri Keaton over here.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

John Lee posted:

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

John Lee posted:

Ffs all that's being said here is don't feel you need to just mouth bland niceities and that someone who has been through it would have preferred to hear gently caress Cancer because it's a very appropriate response.

You're getting actual data here. Absorb it. Fit gently caress Cancer into the slot where perhaps That Sucks might have crept out instead.

No one is suggesting you should know how to react. Christ, I'm getting old and I'm having too many of these conversations with friends and I can tell you they mostly want to see a real, raw reaction to the fact that death has decided to be a twat and show up early. If you are in fact a stand up dude that's there for those so afflicted, great. I'm sure it's probably hidden in there somewhere under the brittle and aging layers of reflexive edge-lord. So many of us on SA have spent years draping ourselves in ironic bullshit. It's now calcified to the point that what once served as necessary emotional protection is instead poisoning our ability to read a room and share a moment.

More generally, a good friend told me the worst thing was dealing with people's embarrassment over not knowing how to react. It meant that they were avoided instead and now they were isolated as well as dying. No one wants to be a visible reminder of our shared and impending mortality.

Also that blog post was good.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

General Battuta posted:

Mishell Baker, who probably almost no one here has read, but who was for whatever it’s worth very kind to me, has incurable cancer and wrote a very brave post about it. https://mishellbaker.com/it-turns-out-im-dying-is-a-continuum/

Thank you for sharing the blog post, I am sorry for your friend

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

gently caress cancer.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

ClydeFrog posted:

Ffs all that's being said here is don't feel you need to just mouth bland niceities and that someone who has been through it would have preferred to hear gently caress Cancer because it's a very appropriate response.

You're getting actual data here. Absorb it. Fit gently caress Cancer into the slot where perhaps That Sucks might have crept out instead.

No one is suggesting you should know how to react. Christ, I'm getting old and I'm having too many of these conversations with friends and I can tell you they mostly want to see a real, raw reaction to the fact that death has decided to be a twat and show up early. If you are in fact a stand up dude that's there for those so afflicted, great. I'm sure it's probably hidden in there somewhere under the brittle and aging layers of reflexive edge-lord. So many of us on SA have spent years draping ourselves in ironic bullshit. It's now calcified to the point that what once served as necessary emotional protection is instead poisoning our ability to read a room and share a moment.

More generally, a good friend told me the worst thing was dealing with people's embarrassment over not knowing how to react. It meant that they were avoided instead and now they were isolated as well as dying. No one wants to be a visible reminder of our shared and impending mortality.

Or, like, the very real, actual events I experienced where somebody would say something emotionally fraught/devastating, and like five people would have a reaction, and I would be left with nothing, and people would be like "what is up with this guy," and I would explain that the gamut of responses had been covered and I didn't want to seem insincere or schmaltzy, and my autistic rear end was gently informed that the unique quality of the response didn't matter and that it was the commiseration of any response that was important. My scenario wasn't a hypothetical, it was something that actually happened more than once, and I think I'll listen to the people that I know who have actually expressed a preference rather that some rando on the internet who happens to shout that people like me are dicks and idiots. Because if I don't, the actual response is to avoid those situations entirely because people have strongly expressed to me completely opposite and incompatible demands, and then I'll be the one crying and chewing on my fingers like a fuckin' rat, and I'd prefer to live in the world where I respond how my friends and family want me to.

I'm honestly not sure why people are saying I'm being, like 'edgy?' I definitely wasn't trying to be, and it doesn't match with my understanding of anything about it, but I sure got a strong response, and it's always super weird to me how people post their opinions as OBJECTIVE FACT in this thread and get zero pushback

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
thread's going great right now.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I started reading Blue Remembered Earth, book 1 of Alistair Reynolds' Poseidon's Children series.

Pretty interesting world so far, kind of stringing along this plot though. Interested to see where it all ends up

I guess it's supposed to span a huge time frame but 2/3rds through this book it's still the same characters/time :thunk:

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

W-woah...

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Hey, I'd post about some kind of science fiction or fantasy book I like, but everything I like has had some people post in this thread like "this book is BORING and POORLY WRITTEN" so there's no point in saying anything different, I'll just make Posting Enemies

...I mean, maybe not Between Two Fires. I think the only complaints about that one were actually phrased as opinions.

edit: Aard Varkman has the right idea, I should just post about little lesser-known books that haven't appeared in the thread before.

John Lee fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 30, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

John Lee posted:

Hey, I'd post about some kind of science fiction or fantasy book I like, but everything I like has had some people post in this thread like "this book is BORING and POORLY WRITTEN" so there's no point in saying anything different, I'll just make Posting Enemies

Just post

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

John Lee posted:

...I mean, maybe not Between Two Fires. I think the only complaints about that one were actually phrased as opinions.

edit: Aard Varkman has the right idea, I should just post about little-known books that haven't appeared in the thread before.

Consider that threads get filled with group think because people act as you are doing now. Seriously it's ridiculous to bury your own thoughts to appeal to people you've never met on an internet forum.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

John Lee posted:

common problem on SA - a small number of goons with a discord managed to destroy the SA board games thread similarly.

post through it, don't let jerks yuck your yum.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

If anyone has become someone's Posting Enemy because of different book opinions, I don't even know what. I like all sorts of stupid poo poo and I bet you all do too.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

I dunno if I'm in a good state to make, like a full effort post about, but I enjoyed my time with James Morrow's Towing Jehovah. A drunken disgrace of a supertanker captain is visited by an angel and given a job: God is dead, and his miles-long corpse needs to be towed through the ocean and laid to rest in the Arctic. Eventually and obviously, other people get wind of the enormous corpse and join the pilgrimage, but a lot of questions arise along the way, like "What does it mean for God to be dead" and "Does it even make sense for God to leave a colossal physical corpse?"

This isn't my favorite book, or probably even in the top five hundred, but I had a good time with it. Sometimes pensive, sometimes concerned with the realities of very slowly towing a huge (semi-organic!) object halfway around the world, it's a pretty melancholic book, which I enjoy on occasion. The prose is mostly serviceable-at-best, but on the whole it's a good enough book that I keep a physical copy around.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

John Lee posted:

I dunno if I'm in a good state to make, like a full effort post about, but I enjoyed my time with James Morrow's Towing Jehovah. A drunken disgrace of a supertanker captain is visited by an angel and given a job: God is dead, and his miles-long corpse needs to be towed through the ocean and laid to rest in the Arctic. Eventually and obviously, other people get wind of the enormous corpse and join the pilgrimage, but a lot of questions arise along the way, like "What does it mean for God to be dead" and "Does it even make sense for God to leave a colossal physical corpse?"

This isn't my favorite book, or probably even in the top five hundred, but I had a good time with it. Sometimes pensive, sometimes concerned with the realities of very slowly towing a huge (semi-organic!) object halfway around the world, it's a pretty melancholic book, which I enjoy on occasion. The prose is mostly serviceable-at-best, but on the whole it's a good enough book that I keep a physical copy around.
I feel that book would be a lot better without its female lead who seems to only be there to show how Rough and Manly the captain is. Apart from that, I enjoyed it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

HopperUK posted:

If anyone has become someone's Posting Enemy because of different book opinions, I don't even know what. I like all sorts of stupid poo poo and I bet you all do too.
I assume BotL either had or made Posting Enemies, because SMG sure did

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

HopperUK posted:

I like all sorts of stupid poo poo and I bet you all do too.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

I feel that book would be a lot better without its female lead who seems to only be there to show how Rough and Manly the captain is. Apart from that, I enjoyed it.

I agree. I mean, in fairness, "boat captain' is prime cultural space to be masculinity-obsessed, and it's fair to be all "I'm emotionally unavailable because, you know, I hosed up my only job and now to top off that poo poo sandwich God is Dead," but I would have preferred she either have been a stronger character or held less of a position of apparent importance. I guess she serves a purpose of Default Conversation Partner, which is a fine role to have?

Gaius Marius posted:

Consider that threads get filled with group think because people act as you are doing now. Seriously it's ridiculous to bury your own thoughts to appeal to people you've never met on an internet forum.

HopperUK posted:

I mean... Okay, here's an example. I'm not picking on Runcible Cat in particular, bear them no ill will, just jumped back dozens of pages and grabbed a post.

Runcible Cat posted:

Reading Tchaikovsky's Cage of Souls . . .The protagonist is boring, the background is thinly-sketched and the prose is basic

Now, I've never read this book, but imagine I did and I enjoyed it. What am I supposed to say? How would that conversation go?

Me: "Actually, I enjoyed that book. I thought the protagonist was interesting, and there were a few bits of prose I liked.

Them: "Well, you're wrong. Like I said, those things in the book are bad."

Me: "Two people can't have, like, legitimately different feelings about a work? It can't produce entirely different feelings because of personality differences, or somebody having a different history?"

Them: "Of course that can happen! With works of legitimately arguable value. But not this one, because as I said, it's bad."

Me: "But it's bad because it's boring and basic! What if I didn't experience any feelings of boredom, and something about the turns of phrase thrilled or excited me?"

Them: "Well, then you can't recognize objectively bad things when you see them, which doesn't speak very well of you."

and so on. Like, half of the criticisms in this thread are like this, just Objective Statements of Fact about art, the enjoyment of which is obviously 100% subjective, and if I post anything that disagrees with these Objective Facts then at least one person will be like "What a loving dumbass, I already laid out the Truth about this book" and then I have to deal with both a personal and a philosophical disagreement

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

John Lee posted:

I agree. I mean, in fairness, "boat captain' is prime cultural space to be masculinity-obsessed, and it's fair to be all "I'm emotionally unavailable because, you know, I hosed up my only job and now to top off that poo poo sandwich God is Dead," but I would have preferred she either have been a stronger character or held less of a position of apparent importance. I guess she serves a purpose of Default Conversation Partner, which is a fine role to have?

I mean... Okay, here's an example. I'm not picking on Runcible Cat in particular, bear them no ill will, just jumped back dozens of pages and grabbed a post.

Now, I've never read this book, but imagine I did and I enjoyed it. What am I supposed to say? How would that conversation go?

Me: "Actually, I enjoyed that book. I thought the protagonist was interesting, and there were a few bits of prose I liked.

Me: "Two people can't have, like, legitimately different feelings about a work? It can't produce entirely different feelings because of personality differences, or somebody having a different history?"

Them: "Of course that can happen! With works of legitimately arguable value. But not this one, because as I said, it's bad."

Me: "But it's bad because it's boring and basic! What if I didn't experience any feelings of boredom, and something about the turns of phrase thrilled or excited me?"

Them: "Well, then you can't recognize objectively bad things when you see them, which doesn't speak very well of you."

and so on. Like, half of the criticisms in this thread are like this, just Objective Statements of Fact about art, the enjoyment of which is obviously 100% subjective, and if I post anything that disagrees with these Objective Facts then at least one person will be like "What a loving dumbass, I already laid out the Truth about this book" and then I have to deal with both a personal and a philosophical disagreement

I mean that's a whole conversation you just invented. You'd say, like, 'Oh wow I didn't find that at all, I really enjoyed it'.

e: I mean some people in the thread have posted that they really liked say, Hyperion, and I can't abide Dan Simmons, even the stuff from before his brain imploded. It's all good.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

John Lee posted:

Morrow's got a bunch of fun stuff in the general 'satire often incorporating religious themes' vein, including a couple more books in the Dead God Verse. I'm personally a big fan of his short story collection Bible Stories for Adults.

(You also might enjoy Parke Godwin's Waiting for the Galactic Bus/Snake Oil Wars duology, which are a bit more lighthearted but similarly use a science fiction/religious lens to satirize modern culture.)

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

John Lee posted:

then I have to deal with both a personal and a philosophical disagreement

You don't, is the thing. People can have different opinions. To me, coming in and saying 'I liked it actually and here is why ______' is not a reply to the OP really anyway, it is for anyone else reading the thread. Now I have a secondary opinion and might check a thing out I wouldn't have otherwise. If the OP replies in a way non conducive to a discussion, you don't need to deal with it at all if you don't want to. Just move on to the next thing.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

John Lee posted:

Like, half of the criticisms in this thread are like this, just Objective Statements of Fact about art, the enjoyment of which is obviously 100% subjective, and if I post anything that disagrees with these Objective Facts then at least one person will be like "What a loving dumbass, I already laid out the Truth about this book" and then I have to deal with both a personal and a philosophical disagreement

I think posting is good. Also, not posting is good. I often not post.

Posting about how you don't post because other posts might be written about your post is, unfortunately, not good (this is an opinion, not a statement of fact in case that's helpful).

EDIT: not posting is not as good as posting, now that I've thought about it

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kalman posted:

Morrow's got a bunch of fun stuff in the general 'satire often incorporating religious themes' vein, including a couple more books in the Dead God Verse. I'm personally a big fan of his short story collection Bible Stories for Adults.
Does he get better at writing women?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

John Lee posted:

You missed the part where half the rest of the thread comes in and comments anything from "I liked it for x reason" to "I too disliked it"

I do generally think it's non valid to describe most books as "bad", because almost any book has some degree of merit from some perspective; see, e.g., Chuck Tingle.

OTOH the whole LitRPG genre exists which both disproves and proves my point (I think that stuff is categorically awful, but lots of people think i'm wrong, and the people who write that stuff are cashing checks, so if I'm so smart and they aren't, how come I'm not rich?)

I will point out one important forum rule that informs this context; attacking a *work* is allowed. Attacking *other posters* is not. "I think book is flawed because [reason]" is the sort of thing we can talk about. "I think you're a shithead for liking x" will earn vacations. (I don't know why you like something. Maybe you're hatereading it! The reception of text is inherently subjective!)

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 30, 2022

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

OTOH the whole LitRPG genre exists which both disproves and proves my point (I think that stuff is categorically awful, but lots of people think i'm wrong, and the people who write that stuff are cashing checks, so if I'm so smart and they aren't, how come I'm not rich?)

If LitRPG is so awful, then why it good when numbers go up? :colbert:

(It's because I've got a brain disease, that's why)

mewse
May 2, 2006

John Lee posted:

HopperUK posted:

I mean that's a whole conversation you just invented.

I don't see many posts in here saying "ding dong your opinion is wrong"

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

I do generally think it's non valid to describe most books as "bad", because almost any book has some degree of merit from some perspective; see, e.g., Chuck Tingle.

There's a difference between 'bad' and 'unreadable'. Very few books are 'unreadable' but plenty aren't worth the hours it would take to read them (I consider these books 'bad'). In my reading tracker I have 21 books listed as 'bad'. So not many, all things considered.

The only truly unreadable book I've attempted is 'brewing up a business' by Sam Calagione the Dogfish Head Brewing guy.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

NmareBfly posted:

You don't, is the thing. People can have different opinions. To me, coming in and saying 'I liked it actually and here is why ______' is not a reply to the OP really anyway, it is for anyone else reading the thread.

Yeah, but then I'm on record as being a dumbass to at least one person in the thread*, and if I post that I liked twenty books then at least twenty people think I'm a dumbass, and soon the entire situation becomes untenable as people dislike me more and more. I haven't gone back and surveyed, but it seems like the small majority of discussion in this thread is negatively biased, probably for reasons like this where people don't want to contradict someone who's already being negative.

*this ship has already sailed, lol

I will point out one important forum rule that informs this context; attacking a *work* is allowed. Attacking *other posters* is not. "I think book is flawed because [reason]" is the sort of thing we can talk about. "I think you're a shithead for liking x" will earn vacations.

I'm not certain I understand all the nuances of the distinction here - like, "I thought the book was lame as poo poo" is obviously fine, because it's talking about your interpretation. "The book did nothing for me," also fine, that's about how you personally experienced it, people are free to disagree. "I was insulted by this thing in the book" definitely fine. But "The prose was bad" is an objective fact, not an opinion, right? Not a super-descriptive one, but, like, it's not saying "The prose fell flat for me" or "My history and experiences have formed me into a person who didn't gel with this book's style," but just that it's bad, full stop. Not the same kind of fact as in the specific number of chromosomes of a honeybee queen, but an obvious fact. And if somebody 'disagrees with' objective and obvious fact, then they're either trolling or stupid, right? They're wrong, and should stop believing wrongly. I mean, barring various edge cases like having weird neurological disorders.
So it seems like saying that saying a matter of opinion is actually objective fact is by default an attack on other posters? Like, I don't see how it isn't - if I'm like "Blue is a terrible color for dresses, and pleats are a lovely and stupid design choice" and somebody I know is like "...But I wear a blue dress with pleats all the time," then my self-consistent response would be "Yeah, and it's bad and you're wrong to do so," and people would reasonably conclude that I was being a self-righteous dick by talking poo poo about a matter of opinion.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bro you overthinking poo poo like crazy my dude

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

John Lee posted:

Yeah, but then I'm on record as being a dumbass to at least one person in the thread*, and if I post that I liked twenty books then at least twenty people think I'm a dumbass, and soon the entire situation becomes untenable as people dislike me more and more. I haven't gone back and surveyed, but it seems like the small majority of discussion in this thread is negatively biased, probably for reasons like this where people don't want to contradict someone who's already being negative.

*this ship has already sailed, lol

I'm not certain I understand all the nuances of the distinction here - like, "I thought the book was lame as poo poo" is obviously fine, because it's talking about your interpretation. "The book did nothing for me," also fine, that's about how you personally experienced it, people are free to disagree. "I was insulted by this thing in the book" definitely fine. But "The prose was bad" is an objective fact, not an opinion, right? Not a super-descriptive one, but, like, it's not saying "The prose fell flat for me" or "My history and experiences have formed me into a person who didn't gel with this book's style," but just that it's bad, full stop. Not the same kind of fact as in the specific number of chromosomes of a honeybee queen, but an obvious fact. And if somebody 'disagrees with' objective and obvious fact, then they're either trolling or stupid, right? They're wrong, and should stop believing wrongly. I mean, barring various edge cases like having weird neurological disorders.
So it seems like saying that saying a matter of opinion is actually objective fact is by default an attack on other posters? Like, I don't see how it isn't - if I'm like "Blue is a terrible color for dresses, and pleats are a lovely and stupid design choice" and somebody I know is like "...But I wear a blue dress with pleats all the time," then my self-consistent response would be "Yeah, and it's bad and you're wrong to do so," and people would reasonably conclude that I was being a self-righteous dick by talking poo poo about a matter of opinion.

If I post 'I just read Snow Crash, what a pile of poo poo' it is understood that this is my opinion.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

John Lee posted:

Actually no, I'd be curious about what you got from it that I didn't. Why do you think I (as your randomly-picked example) have the opinion that because I think a book is boring anyone else's opinion on it is worthless? Especially since that post is me explicitly asking for other opinions?

We're all just chucking our subjective opinions out there. Some people may agree, some people may disagree, some people may even be arseholes about disagreeing and have to be told they're being arseholes, that's the internet for you, and some people may think hey I liked that too, I'll keep an eye out for the next thing that poster says they like even if they don't bother to say so. If you don't want to post you don't have to, you don't have to invent long conversations with people as an excuse not to.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I cannot remember the name of a single poster ITT who liked something I thought was bad.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Does he get better at writing women?

Haven't read it in a few years, so... maybe? Probably not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Bro you overthinking poo poo like crazy my dude

Same but I super appreciate you" just post"ing it. This helps understand how it might make others feel when I rag on dumb poo poo they like.