Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

w00tazn posted:

I'm wondering if Lego is working out a deal to make toys for the D&D movie too and this IDEAs item will just be a super premium option similar to the 1-up block

Movie? Why bother, they already nailed it

https://youtu.be/yfxXug5ZMdk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Here's to hoping the Mario movie sets use normal figs because the current stuff is pretty meh

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I had an old CamelCamelCamel alert that the Bugatti Chiron is on discount at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C8L9CRJ

Just under $300 when the normal price is $350.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Orvin posted:

I had an old CamelCamelCamel alert that the Bugatti Chiron is on discount at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C8L9CRJ

Just under $300 when the normal price is $350.

Really tempting considering it’s being retired soon…sigh :homebrew:

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Really tempting considering it’s being retired soon…sigh :homebrew:

I already have the set sitting in the bottom of my closet. I have had other more fun sets to build in the meantime. I will get to it one of these days.

It really didn’t help that I got the Technic Range Rover at a discount at Costco and did not have much fun assembling that set. Kinda dampened my outlook towards the Chiron a bit.

All of the creator expert vehicles (well the two I have built so far) have been way more fun. So I have been bumping them to the front of the line. Just started the DeLorean Time Machine yesterday. After that I have to decide between Ecto 1 and the Camaro.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Imo the main "problem" if you might say so with the 1:8 Technic supercars series is that after building the interesting stuff like transmission and engine, you spend hours building...whatever...while staring at all the nice colorful pieces in the double digit bags waiting to finally get it from "strange technic brick with transmission and engine inside" to "oh, it starts looking like the car". Gets a bit boring after you built one, or even two. I always kinda dread this step...one of the reason the Daytona is not really moving forward in my building queue.

Would be cool if they find a way to make this process a bit different, or at least start integrating some other functions than transmission and engine, like axle lift system etc. Or - in this price range - maybe dumb down the transmission and engine to make room and go Control+, though I assume that would mean a 600$+ set.

As much as I like them when they are finished, the middle third of the building process always bores me quite a lot. Maybe that's why I hold way higher praise for the BMW bike than apparently many others, as there isn't that much structure you have to build after transmission and engine to get to the interesting part of actually making it look like a superbike.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

BTW: price and some boring steps aside, I really enjoyed the Star Wars dioramas. Just built them and I really hope Lego does more of them, maybe also for other franchises. Neatly detailed, does not take up too much shelf space, and offers enough possibilities to extend/pimp by your own. Can't wait to start the Tallneck.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Yeah I get the criticisms of the 1:8 Technic cars, I just like em for some reason. They feel more like models than toys to me, and I like the engineering aspect. I’m also a sucker for the premium packaging they get.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

tuo posted:

As much as I like them when they are finished, the middle third of the building process always bores me quite a lot. Maybe that's why I hold way higher praise for the BMW bike than apparently many others, as there isn't that much structure you have to build after transmission and engine to get to the interesting part of actually making it look like a superbike.

I guess I’m weird because the BMW is one of my all time favorite builds AND display pieces. Also I’ve not built a technic car as it just doesn’t seem fun to me as compared to a creator expert car.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Thinking back, my other big complaint about the Technic Rover is that it was a 1000+ build that came in 4 sets of bags. So it also made things extra tedious as you had these huge piles of parts to sort through looking for all the little bits. A larger number of smaller bags would have broken up the monotony quite a bit.

When I needed some space on my shelf for new stuff, I broke it down and gave it away to a coworker who was into Lego stuff. I couldn’t see going through the effort to rebuild it over the various Star Wars UCS starfighters that I had broken down for space over the past couple of years.

I do believe the Bugatti comes in a larger number of bags. So hopefully that will make for a better number of building chunks.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
LEGO needs to release a 2000+ piece set that is just pieces loose in the box. With classic old style instructions that have like 15 pages smooshed into one step.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Waltzing Along posted:

LEGO needs to release a 2000+ piece set that is just pieces loose in the box. With classic old style instructions that have like 15 pages smooshed into one step.

Ah, a fan of the brick link system

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm two bags into the Galaxy Explorer. It's more complicated than I thought it would be, but I'm having fun. The landing gear is cool.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Bring back big set boxes with the flip up panel so you could see the cool pieces front and center on the transparent display tray with the parts bags behind.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

EvilJoven posted:

Bring back big set boxes with the flip up panel so you could see the cool pieces front and center on the transparent display tray with the parts bags behind.

:hai:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

EvilJoven posted:

Not doing this for the Lion Knights Castle was a big miss imo

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The new $500 Lord of the Rings set is reportedly Rivendell. I was hoping for a huge Bag End and Shire area. Gonna wait and see what it looks like before I decide, but it had better come with a freaky-faced Bilbo minifig.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBxGNfjv4oo&t=47s

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I could be down with a LOTR version of the nano-scale Hogwarts Castle..

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Orvin posted:

you had these huge piles of parts to sort through

I'm sorry, pileS? Like more than one pile of lego? You've lost me.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
First batch of Ninjago for 2023 dropped. Definitely getting the big mech. And the small mech. And the mech that rides a motorcycle. And the dragon that can also be built as a mech. Also, really appreciating the Brick Box to expand my city.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I just encountered something I'd never seen before on Step 146 of the Galaxy Explorer.

You slide the assembly on the left into the rear as shown on the left. There's no stud to anti stud connection there. No big deal really. But on the top of the left page it shows you a kind of x-ray of what orientation the assembly should be in.

Edit: Link to better image in pdf, jump to page 97.
https://eu-central-1.linodeobjects....cf726e521948a30

deoju fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 30, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It makes sense later but yeah it threw me off too. It's a really cool play feature.

And the door you're about to build. :allears:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I figured it was part of the buggy deployment feature. The X-ray part was new to me though.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/jayong28/status/1598090858410446854

Morbius

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That Hulkbuster looks pretty drat solid, how did they mess up the big one and it's diaper so much (Yes a different Hulkbuster but still).

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral
Why is Ghostrider’s head so small? Hahahaha

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Another loving Hulkbuster

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I keep holding out hope for another Ninjago large-modular type city set but it clearly ain't happening. :negative:

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

EEKA GEEK posted:

I keep holding out hope for another Ninjago large-modular type city set but it clearly ain't happening. :negative:

Didn't the last just come out less than a year ago? I do wonder about the future of Ninjago though, I hear the show ended or is ending?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mameluke posted:

Another loving Hulkbuster
This one seems to be something that people want.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This one seems to be something that people want.

I dunno about want but it does have nice proportions and details, and looks a lot nicer than that big one.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Consider the hulk busted

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Didn't the last just come out less than a year ago? I do wonder about the future of Ninjago though, I hear the show ended or is ending?

I was under the impression it was rebooting. Could be wrong.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Grimmeh posted:

Why is Ghostrider’s head so small? Hahahaha

It is a mech with his head sticking out it appears.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Why the hell does Spider-Man need a car?

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

deoju posted:

For the same reason that Superman needs a plane!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

deoju posted:

To go wherever a spider can't.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

Cojawfee posted:

It is a mech with his head sticking out it appears.

Something about that specific shot makes it look extra ridiculous. Maybe it’s the mech being on a bike, I don’t know.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
No thanos copter is a dealbreaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

deoju posted: