Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

Yeah but that means nothing to the people actually living in the area and not treating their home as an investment vehicle. Oh great I can get a slightly larger heloc woohoo. Up their exception if a bunch of parasites move to town.

And I meant average effectively, not by procedure

I mean it doesn’t matter how they feel about whether their house went up in value does it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

I mean it doesn’t matter how they feel about whether their house went up in value does it

right. if a bunch of people with a bunch of money move to an area (let's say travis county, for instance!) it's a good idea to accurately reflect market value in the appraisal. if they plopped down 700k for a shoddy piece of poo poo in pilot knob, accurately appraising that actually helps the relative tax burden of people with a homestead cap. having newcomers pay $20k/year in property taxes also encourages them get the gently caress out faster when the economy hits a speedbump

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Badger of Basra posted:

It does if they are priced out of their home simply because people richer than themselves moved (or speculated) within the same imaginary lines

edit: and to be clear I never said their home shouldn't be appraised higher. I'm just saying that the homestead exemption needs to be tied to housing inflation, no matter the cause

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

People fail to understand the difference between liquidity and net worth and end up losing tons of bucks about it.

Lots of retirees these days are broke, sitting on a million dollar house they refuse to sell, and are learning relatively quickly that it turns out housing is a terrible place to store value. The fact that housing prices are high as poo poo and only increasing does nothing to change their behavior because, again, housing is a terrible place to store value.

It loving sucks to leave your house, why put all of your net worth into it? How did they expect to extract value from it? HELOCs/"""reverse mortgages""" are extremely predatory, how are people so loving stupid

jokes fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 30, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

It does if they are priced out of their home simply because people richer than themselves moved (or speculated) within the same imaginary lines

edit: and to be clear I never said their home shouldn't be appraised higher. I'm just saying that the homestead exemption needs to be tied to housing inflation, no matter the cause

ideally the homestead exemption would be tied to market value + a sliding scale based on sqft to encourage density

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I still don’t understand what “property taxes are assessed based on an average” means

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Property taxes are assessed based on property values which are assessed based on, among other things, an index informed in part by other home prices nearby. It's not an average per se, but it isn't like each assessment is done in a complete vacuum.

If every home around you doubles in price, yours is probably a lot more expensive too which increases your property taxes when they reassess your property.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

and even then, the district won't compare unlike houses. if you're a 3/2 vinyl house right next to a 5/4 stone house by a higher-quality manufacturer, even though you're next door, the district won't use them as comparable properties

lots of people representing themselves used "but look at my neighbor's lovely house, mine should be the same value because of its 'neighborhood character'" as their evidence, but the district will have a list of 10-20 comparables based on sqft, lot size and build quality that could be several miles apart

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Yeah you have to find similar properties, but even then it's a big bowl of WHATEVS.

The first year I did my own protest they kept it mostly the same ($250k to $254k) because I had a good amount of evidence about similarly-sized/situated/built properties, but after the pandemic started it's more or less "whatever we say it is."

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the year we bought our house, the property tax assessment came back at like 50k more than we actually paid for it. im sure that was the easiest challenge the people we hired had to do that year lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

the year we bought our house, the property tax assessment came back at like 50k more than we actually paid for it. im sure that was the easiest challenge the people we hired had to do that year lol

in the past, districts would accept purchase price as an accurate reflection of value, even if you bought in jan 2021 for your 2022 valuation. for the first time ever iirc, travis county switched to a time-adjusted model of between 2-3% per month for a jan 1 evaluation. if prices were up up up forever, this would kinda make sense but i like i said earlier the peak of the market was several months before jan 1. the panels, however, were beholden to no such rule so in general we honored the purchase price if an open-market sale, no matter the 2021 sale date. however, if it wasn't open-market, i.e. a realtor bought it from another realtor, or, crucially, a new-build neighborhood where the buyer plunked down money in 2019 or 2020, panels would be much more likely to accept the district's time-adjusted estimate

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

getting homeowners to admit when they actually signed the contract for a new-build house was like pulling teeth

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

i say swears online posted:

in the past, districts would accept purchase price as an accurate reflection of value, even if you bought in jan 2021 for your 2022 valuation. for the first time ever iirc, travis county switched to a time-adjusted model of between 2-3% per month for a jan 1 evaluation. if prices were up up up forever, this would kinda make sense but i like i said earlier the peak of the market was several months before jan 1. the panels, however, were beholden to no such rule so in general we honored the purchase price if an open-market sale, no matter the 2021 sale date. however, if it wasn't open-market, i.e. a realtor bought it from another realtor, or, crucially, a new-build neighborhood where the buyer plunked down money in 2019 or 2020, panels would be much more likely to accept the district's time-adjusted estimate

Wait....do you WORK for an AD?

Get a rope.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i've been appointed by a judge to mediate between the appraisal district and homeowners or their agents in settling on appropriate value. it's who you see when you protest and reject the district's initial offer. i swear people in, take testimony both oral and written and come to a judgement with two other panel members in a vote at the close. the three of us literally name a $ value and read it into the record; either the district's number, the property owner's, or something of our own calculation. for instance consider a homeowner who had major 2021 freeze damage and have contractor estimates that can be used to lower determined value, but a couple of those estimates don't list the contractor company and just look like a homegroan xls; the panel would possibly accept some of the estimates but not all

it's a mini civil courtroom under threat of perjury and all that. they can get pretty heated; i go through two metal detectors staffed with travis county police every morning that there are hearings. i'm one of the younger panel members, average age is probably 65-70

i say oaths online

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i think it's the ALAB podcast that mentioned this, but a civil court judge's real job is "to figure out who the rear end in a top hat is and make them lose". i cannot say that this is a valid mode of jurisprudence, but i will also just stop talking here

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
What happens when everyone is an rear end in a top hat?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Dameius posted:

Welcome to Dallas.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Still better than my experiences with the family law docket in Travis county.

It's all either dad's rights associate judges looking to get back to loving off or literal wild eyed psychos.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dameius posted:

e: gently caress

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
All I know is that I got a nice letter from the assessment protest company saying they couldn't do poo poo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/zillowgonewild/status/1597651889025273856

You guys wanna move into the jack off house

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Badger of Basra posted:

probably some sort of NSA or army intel pipeline

edit or, uh, oil i guess

god brutalism sucks no matter where it is

I think this is pomo

Corbusier does Cairo?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Depends. Is my assessment based on the average jerk off experience?

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Can you imagine the appraisal?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

drat jerkoff house is gonna make my taxes go through the roof

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

drat jerkoff house is gonna make my taxes go through the roof

it only stays up for a while

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

If it stays up for too long call a doctor

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I hear your taxes will be better if you eat pineapple before filing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cum and take it

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I just bought that house, and BOY are my arms tired!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
That's what a mortgage is for man, let the bank jerk him around.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Realtor: buddy, they won’t even let ME jerk off in it!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

zoux posted:

Cum and take it

lol now we're talkin'

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Cum and take it

Lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I hope the buyers splooged on some upgraded appliances

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I hope the buyers splooged on some upgraded appliances

:crossarms:
I think you mean "splurged".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

INvoking the Alex Jones Broadcasts From Texas rule to try and wrench us from this dark path I set us upon.

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1598366127373094920

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1598368819092889600

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

:captainpop:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Me? I don't like Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Controversial, zoux. Get ready to get canceled, BITCH